Welcome to IMOM Community Home
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
PLEASE NOTE: IMOM is staffed completely by volunteers. In general, our volunteers attempt to be available Monday through Saturday, though specific times are not guaranteed. IMOM volunteers are not available on Sunday or holidays.

Hurricane Katrina/Chris is ALIVE and moving to N.O. - Part 2

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
63 replies to this topic

Chriscat

Chriscat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

View Postk9sign, on 07 October 2010 - 05:32 PM, said:

WOW! Chris, I got goosebumps! It may indeed be one reason Panda' s passing was so peaceful.

Thankfully Tuck is still going strong (10yo now!). Still has seizures fairly often, and now needs an inhaler for a lung disease--but the angels here have held Tuck in their hearts since 2004, and have always made sure he can get his seizure meds.
My other little guy, Justice, is also an epileptic and a PIN here- the angels hold both boys tightly in their wings, and never let them fall.

"Tucker's mom" Cindy

So sorry - I did not mean to talk in the past tense!  You are such a good Mom!  I am just curious if Tucker is on a grain free diet?  I'm sorry that I haven't followed his thread - or any others... :unsure:    A long time ago, one of the cats, Catina, taught me about the importance of diet - and particularly avoiding gluten - one of the proteins found in wheat and other grains.  A few years ago, I found out that I am also gluten-intolerant and by avoiding it (as well as all dairy products) my health has improved greatly.  Once again, the cats led me to something that has helped me get better - it started with Oscar, in 2002, who's ringworm that I contracted, led to my round-about diagnosis of Hepatitis C.

There are many articles that link these proteins to seizures and epiliepsy in pets.  Sorry if I am telling you something that you already know.. All of my babies are on grain free diets as a kind of preventative nutrition - but again, sorry if I am preaching to the choir.  I am so glad that more and more folks are leaning towards healthy diets these days - and finally, there is a much wider selection out there to choose from!

Diet and Canine Epilepsy

Epilepsy Diet

Anyway, I don't think Panda would mind if I hijacked her thread if it might help another creature - I know that she is okay now and I will be too - it will just take a bit more time - she has left a tremendous void in my life and in my heart.

Thanks so much again Cindy for your kind words - and hugs and kisses to Tucker and Justice!  Take care,

Chris and the kitties

k9sign

k9sign

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 11,193 posts
Hi Chris. thanks so much for the info abt grain free diets for epi's. I have tried very strict grain free with both boys for a few years. Unfortunately it didn't make a difference. <sigh>
I had not seen the article with the epilepsy diet. I will be taking a close look at it.
It was sweet of u to take the time to post the links--even if it doesn't help the boyz...someone else may be reading, and it may help their baby. So thanks Panda and Chris.

UGH!! I am sorry u are gluten intolerant. My cousin has Celiac disease. If I remember correctly u were having a problem gaining any weight--same as my cousin. Once she got on a gluten free diet the changes were quite amazing with so much of her body. I am glad u found out u are intolerant.

Yes, if we take the time to listen to our furbabies, they can help us immeasurably.  

Panda, please keep watch over ur mama.

Stay well.

Hugs,
"Tucker's mom" Cindy
Posted Image

Chriscat

Chriscat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi guys - it's been way too long since I stopped by.  But it's good to see some familiar names and faces!

Things have been a struggle these past couple of years - my Mom passed away last August up in Birmingham.  I moved to another apartment after finally receiving a HUD grant (after a 4 year waiting list)  It is back in Lakeview, actually two blocks from where we lived before Katrina.

Cayenne is now almost 15 - he is doing okay now, but I almost lost him a few months back due to heart issues - he had a bad murmur.  Thankfully, he responded to supplements - particularly taurine and at his last check up, the vet could no longer hear a murmur - he has gained back weight and is his handsome self again.

Rosemary, Woody, Mr. Magoo, Tortie Miss all turned 12 this year - Rosemary has been having urinary issues and bladder stones.  She had this problem years ago, but also responded to treatment.  Now, she needs vet care and is scheduled for a visit.  The others need lab work and dentals. Magoo has an extreme flea allergy despite receiving Advantage or similar monthly.

Sky is 8 and doing well.  Velvet and Smoke (the two post-katrina rescues) are also ok, they are 6 years old.   And there is a new one to the fold - just what I needed! -  Voodoo was rescued from City Park where he had been dumped and living for at least a year - I finally caught him, brought him in for a microchip scan and later combo testing prior to trying to place him into a new home.  Naturally, he tested positive for FIV.  He is a sweet boy who had already been fixed and very tame - he is healthy right now but possible adoption for him is pretty slim.

My own health is stable - they are getting very close to a real cure for Hepatitis C.  Meanwhile, I am getting by on the small monthly SS payment, along with selling books online.  I also still do occasional catsitting.  But it's a feast or famine life - if I can find and sell some good books, then I can get caught up on my bills - but if I don't sell many, then I get behind.   I always think that once I can get fully caught up financially, then all of the cats will get the veterinary care that they need and deserve.   I get depressed at times thinking that we all survived Katrina to end up living in such poverty.  But we are still here and alive and hopefully, things will get better soon.

I am so glad that you are still here - IMOM is the best!  And provided a lifeline for the kitties and me during and after Katrina - thank you all so much!    Chris and the Katrina miracle cats

RESTNWOLF

RESTNWOLF

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 247 posts
I was wondering if and when you would reappear here. Glad most of the Lakeview guys are alive and doing well. I'm here because someone asked me about the Katrina article quite some time ago and I knew it was here so I came on the site to find it for them to read  but couldn't locate it. I guess it got deleted. I found it on google by typing in the title of the article. I've been checking in ever since and helping when I can. Wish I could do a lot more. Stay in touch. I might win the lotto. Steve

Chriscat

Chriscat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
Steve!  So good to know that you are on here!  For those of you who do not know, Steve was the only person who offered his boat so that me and another Lakeview resident could get back into the city to rescue our cats.  He will always be a hero to me - the LA Times story can be found here: http://articles.lati...tion/na-haves12.  Steve, do you ever here from Dave Zucchino?

Yes, every cat that you helped rescue from my house is still here except for poor Brooks, who passed in 2009 from renal failure.

I guess because tomorrow is the official start of the 2013 hurricane season, I get a little antzy - hard to believe that it's been almost 8 years.  I still get a little white knuckled at even the mention of a storm anywhere but have managed to stay put for all of the ones that have come by us in the last couple of years.  Last year's Isaac (on the exact day of Katrina 8/29)  was a bit scary - though "just" a tropical storm, the thing parked over us for 24 hours - I lay in bed and listened to the wind howl for what seemed forever.  Also, in the middle of the night, I opened up the back door to find the little feral cat huddled by the back door - and let him in.  Next thing I know, it was morning and I woke to find my bedroom window screen ripped open - Rosemary did not like the feral cat and chased him out the window - and followed him outside.  You should have seen me crawling underneath the house in 70 mph winds calling for Rosemary, who thankfully came to me.  But the worst part was not having any power for 5 days.

I still go back to my old place every day to feed the feral cat over there - but today, as I was pulling out of my driveway, I heard and felt that thumpa-thumpa thump that denoted a flat tire.  Spent an hour trying to get the lug nuts off - could not and decided to use the Fix-a-Flat, which promptly exploded in my face.  I think that my glasses saved me from any real damage though I fear that I will have a black eye tomorrow.   At any rate, the spare finally got on and I was able to go out on my errands.

Well good to know that you are here and thanks for thinking about me -

Dawn IMOM

Dawn IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• IMOM Board of Directors
  • 1,469 posts
Wow - what an incredible article.  I am one who was not aware of this.  Very sorry for everything that was lost in Katrina, but it's wonderful to know you saved the Kitties.  Steve, what a caring (and adventurous) journey for you.  Chriscat, please visit more often - good to get to know you.  Be careful of those tires!
Dawn

RESTNWOLF

RESTNWOLF

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 247 posts
No Chris I haven't had any correspondence with David Z. in some time. I occasionally get posts from his face book page. I believe he's  in Afghanistan. He spends more time in war zones than he does  anywhere else. If there's not a chance he might get blown up for a headline story he's not going to be there. I guess the more dangerous it is the better chance he has of winning another Pulitzer Prize. I'm pretty sure he considered post Katrina New Orleans dangerous or he wouldn't have been there. You know he went in on the first attack into Irag on the ground with just paper and pencil. He's either got nine lives or he's the luckiest SOB on the planet. I believe Rob, the photographer that went in with us, retired recently. He won a Pulitzer Prize as well.  You however are an animal rescuer. Those two guys were in good company. Pulitzer Prize, phaaaat !  Steve

Chriscat

Chriscat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
Hey Dawn, nice to meet you too - I tried to respond to just your post but forgot how to do it :<( -   and thanks for being a part of this wonderful group!

Hey Steve - yeah, I got the feeling that both Dave and Rob were having the time of their lives in the boat.  I remember after getting back to dry land with the cats and unloading them, I was exhausted and trembling.   But they were both looking as fresh as daisies - they couldn't wait to get back out there with you - and actually, you looked pretty energetic yourself - wow, what an adventure!

BTW, I haven't seen David M for a long time but he posted on a community animal forum last week - he had gotten a woman to trap several cats in his neighborhood for TNR and one cat that was trapped happened to be a three-legged one - I don't know what the story was there.  But he is still on Marshall Foch and at the Dental School - and still rescuing cats too.

k9sign

k9sign

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 11,193 posts
Hi, Chris, it's so good to see that u and the kitties are hanging in there. I so wish that life was easier for u guys-u deserve to get a break.
I am glad ur health is at least stable, and it's a joy to hear how the kitties are doing.

Where online do u sell ur books?

Kim hasn't come here for quite some time. I'll have to let her know u posted. I know she always worried abt u too.

My Tucker is still with me, and his little brother (not related) ended up being a severe epileptic too--so both are still PIN's here.

Praying the storms stay away from u!

Hugs,

Cindy, Tucker and Justice
Posted Image

Chriscat

Chriscat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
Hey Cindy!  So happy to hear that sweet Tucker is still with you - but sorry that the epilepsy did not get any better.  You are such a good Mom - it's a testament to you that your babies are still here!

I hadn't heard from Kim in a long time too but I exchanged a couple of emails with Kay P last year when Isaac hit. They were both so good to me after Katrina - you all were!  It was so nice to meet them when they passed through Birmingham on their way to volunteer in New Orleans - they met my Mom who often asked about them.   Yes, hopefully, the storms will stay away from us - and from everyone else.  Much too nervewracking for sure.

I think that I owe my stable health to my diet and taking   Low Dose Naltrexoneor LDN - can't remember if I posted about this in the past.  But I have been on it since early 2009 and since then, my liver function tests have stayed in the normal range and my viral load has remained extremely low.  It helps modulate one's immune system - or actually, helps the immune system work like it is supposed to.   I belong to many online support groups where folks around the world are taking it for various health conditions.  It is also good for animals as well - there is an online group called LDN for Pets  

I think I posted my own blog,   Nola Hepper  before - once I got back my first labs 3 months after being on the LDN, I felt compelled to spread the word.

Rosemary has an appointment this Tuesday for an exam - thankfully, she has responded to all of the stuff that I have been doing for her - a homeopathic remedy aconite seems to have helped her.  She also gets a couple of doses of "Tinkle Tonic" a day as well as a small bit of Stone Free - she also gets slippery elm syrup twice a day.  For three days, knock on wood, she has had normal urine stream and no signs of straining.  Again, knock on wood - ya know how it goes - as soon as you report that your baby is doing well, they crash again...sigh.  At any rate, I will feel better once she gets labs and a probable xray taken.  My number one vet is still Dr. Sagrera at Natural Pet Care.   She is a regular vet too and has performed miracles on many of my cats in the past - she has met me at 11 PM on a Sunday night in the past when I would have an emergency and she is working with me financially up to a point to help me with the babies.  Think I've been going to her since 2003 or so - back when I had Catina, who had previously had diarrhea for two years and every "prescription diet" under the sun, along with steroid shots - and then ended up with diabetes.   Dr. Sagrera put her on a raw food diet and overnight, she had the first normal stool in a very long time - that sold me on this vet and how important a grain free/natural diet is for both pets and people.

A friend gave me some Revolution for Mr. Magoo and he seems to have gotten some relief so far - just gave it to him a little while ago - but he was ripping his fur out and not himself.  They seem to get a resistance to the flea meds and I have to change from Advantage to another kind every few months.  He needs labs too and a dental - I worry that this new flea allergy might be because something else is going on too.  But meanwhile, he seems much happier than he has been these last couple of weeks.  That's the worst part - to know that your babies are not well and hurting and not be able to help them get to the vet - but I guess most folks on this forum know that feeling.

I sell on Amazon - I go to thrift stores and garage sales and try to find bargains - the link for amazon is here:

http://www.amazon.co...ops/cmbookmaker

Well, just meant to say hello and ended up babbling away - I have just lost all track of time - I turned 60 in January and realized how much time has passed - guess there's a lot of catching up to do. Things will get better for us - seems to work that way - I get behind in the bills and everything builds up (and always the times when someone needs a vet visit!)  - and then get a bunch of good books or catsitting jobs that get me back to even.  But so good to hear from you, Tucker and Justice - and so happy that IMOM is still here too!

Chris and the kittles

Cindy/IMOM

Cindy/IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• IMOM Vice President
  • 1,921 posts
Chris,

It's so good to hear from you again!  I've thought of you and worried when tornados hit Alabama so hard.  We'll keep paws and claws crossed that this isn't going to be as bad a hurricane year for you.

Take care,

Cindy/IMOM
Cindy/IMOM

Chriscat

Chriscat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
Hey - good to hear from you too!  It's been too long!   Yes, I would worry all of the time about my Mom up in Birmingham - she was always a scaredy cat when it came to storms.  And in the assisted living where she was, they would move all of them out to the hallways whenever there was a tornado warning - but as time went on, she didn't even worry about it anymore - she said that there were warnings almost daily.

I feel awful for the folks in Tuscaloosa and now, the people in OK and other places - scary stuff.  At least with a hurricane you do have some kind of warning - though up until Friday night, Katrina was "supposed" to hit the Florida panhandle - it wasn't until Saturday morning that it changed to New Orleans and the coast - and that was early Monday.   But believe me, there is no one more glued to the weather channel than I am this time of year - and things are already starting off with this "system" in the gulf - heading towards florida...

Take care - getting ready to bring Rosemary to vet in a bit - keeping fingers crossed that it will be okay.

Chris and the kitties

Chriscat

Chriscat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

View PostChriscat, on 04 June 2013 - 11:04 AM, said:

Hey - good to hear from you too!  It's been too long!   Yes, I would worry all of the time about my Mom up in Birmingham - she was always a scaredy cat when it came to storms.  And in the assisted living where she was, they would move all of them out to the hallways whenever there was a tornado warning - but as time went on, she didn't even worry about it anymore - she said that there were warnings almost daily.

I feel awful for the folks in Tuscaloosa and now, the people in OK and other places - scary stuff.  At least with a hurricane you do have some kind of warning - though up until Friday night, Katrina was "supposed" to hit the Florida panhandle - it wasn't until Saturday morning that it changed to New Orleans and the coast - and that was early Monday.   But believe me, there is no one more glued to the weather channel than I am this time of year - and things are already starting off with this "system" in the gulf - heading towards florida...

Take care - getting ready to bring Rosemary to vet in a bit - keeping fingers crossed that it will be okay.

Chris and the kitties

Well Rosemary gave Mom quite a scare - after getting her out of her carrier at the vet, she promptly urinated all over the floor and me.  The vet said that her urine looked very dilute - which almost sent me into hysterics - I had awful visions of renal failure, fluids and a long haul.  However, her labs were not bad - the specific gravity is a bit out of whack but the vet thinks it is because she has a urinary tract infection - also the reason for the dilute looking urine.  No diabetes thankfully - and no crystals in urine which I had wrongfully assumed - so we are treating her for a uti.  The bill was $207.00 which I could pay half of and the vet let me post-date a check for the balance.  Hopefully I can sell a lot of books by then.  Anyway, under the circumstances - a somewhat happy result - compared to what I Imagined, dreaded and lost lots of sleep over - she's my baby girl!

k9sign

k9sign

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 11,193 posts
Oh, man, Chris, u must have been so scared until u got the results that showed that Rosemary has a UTI, and nothing worse.

I am envious that u got to meet Kim. Kay (and Judy) have both been to my house several times-but the visits are always way too short. They are fantastic people that are such good friends.

I am glad a friend gave u some Revolution for Mr Magoo, and he is feeling better. I know that's a load off of ur mind.

Thanks for saying it's a testament to me that the boyz are still here...really it's a testament to IMOM. Without  IMOM  and the incredible angels , I would not have my Tuck and Justice with me. I am so blessed.

Take care of urself Chris, and the wonderful kitties!
hugs!
Posted Image

Chriscat

Chriscat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
Hey kiddo - don't sell yourself short!  It is your love and care - along with the IMOM'ers of course - that have kept these babies going -  and believe me, they know that they love you and are there for you - they want to be here with you!

Yes, I pretty much did flip out when the vet mentioned the diluted looking urine - but in the same breath, she also said that she did not see any blood - her UTI is pretty mild - although the sample was taken off of the floor.  And being holistic, we are trying the remedies first - the aconite is really helping her.  And the vet did say that we could do the remedies or just go straight to an antibiotic - which we still might still have to do.  It did cross my mind that had I gone to my traditional vet and just bought some clavamox three weeks ago, it might have saved a whole lot of money and ended the problem - but I feel good now as Rosemary did need lab work done - as most of them do.

She thinks that Magoo has hyperesthesia - we are also trying the remedy with that as well - and it seems to be working - hypericum - a couple of doses a day.  I am going to be bringing him in when finances permit - he has always has skin issues but not like this - just want to rule out any underlying condition - plus he needs dental care - he's the tabby/siamese guy - one of the babies who survived in the closet for two weeks without food or water!

Thanks for the support - it means a lot!  Hugs to sweet Tucker and Justice!

Chriscat

Chriscat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
Well, things are not going as planned financially.  Normally, I can manage the 9 cats (plus two ferals) with the SS monthly check (730.00) along with my book sales ($100.00-$300.00 weekly) as well as occasional cat sitting jobs.   However, when any extra expenses come along, then things get beyond tight.

Rosemary's vet visit was the first thing - and I still haven't paid the $107.00 that I owe.  Then, Mr. Voodoo, who is allowed outside (he has ripped out every screen window and door in the house!) must have eaten a lizard or who knows what - and spread some kind of salmonella type stuff via the litter boxes.  So for a time,  I had 6 cats vomiting and with loose stools.  Most are better now.  Mr. Magoo is still suffering from some condition that has caused his hypersthesia (overall itchiness and pain when touched on his rear end) -  I started him on a very miniscule dose of LDN and it at least has stopped him from ripping out his fur.

And of course, my book sales have plummeted - I have made $50.00 in the last two weeks - and no one seems to have the money to travel very much, so no catsitting jobs.

The point of course, is that the cats need help badly.  I know that they are not pins here and I do not want to break any rules or step on any toes if I ask for help?   What I need is to take care of the current vet bill and some Petco gift cards.  The kitties eat the Indigo Moon dry food and the petco brand of Soulistic canned food.  Expensive but part of their "preventative nutrition" that has kept them so healthy for many years.  Last year, I tried switching to fancy feast canned food and within days, Cayenne, my white Siamese guy,  developed a swollen mouth, temperature and was growling in pain.   After an emergency vet visit for that, the vet believed that he was allergic to some ingredient of the fancy feast.  Another time, he had dug out a used plate from the feral cat's food in the trash and I found him crouched in a corner, with a swollen mouth and temperature.  So despite the cost, they really need to be on the same food that they have all eaten for years.

I struggle with depression - those cats and I have been through so much - and they deserve to be cared for properly.  I cry when I look at Magoo - he needs vet care so much - or at least a blood draw to find out what is going on with him.  It is a horrible, helpless feeling when you cannot help your cats.

I would never ask you guys for help but I do not know what else to do.  My remaining out of state family has not been in touch with me since my Mom died last August.  They were not happy with me before then as they thought that as the daughter, I should have moved to Alabama to be near to my Mom.  So they are not going to help either.  We are on our own.

I had gone to about 20 sites online that help poor folks with their animals - 18 said that they were currently out of funds.  I did find a couple of places that allowed one to make a fundraising page but of course, no one has donated.

This country is in a recession and the ones who suffer are the animals - people cannot take care of them due to finances and the shelters are full of homeless pets.  Just go to Craigslist - every day there are hundreds of pets looking for homes - either via the rescues or the shelters - or much more common - people who can no longer care for them.

Thanks for any help and encouragement - and I am sorry if I am doing wrong to ask for help here...?   Who would have imagined that after surviving Katrina - and the 5 poor cats that went for two weeks without food or water - and lived,   are now faced with an almost worse fate due to lack of money.

Chris and the miracle survivor cats

Edited by Chriscat, 25 June 2013 - 09:22 PM.

Chriscat

Chriscat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
Posted Image

Magoo has squamous cell carcinoma under his tongue - I had been looking all through his mouth and finally looked under his tongue - a big tumor.   I am devastated - this is what happens when you are poor and cannot bring your animal to the vet when they first start acting sick.

I have a call into the vet - I finally used my car insurance money to pay the Rosemary's bill so now, maybe he can get some kind of help - or be put down.

Please can anyone out there help this poor cat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Please

Chris

Edited by Chriscat, 28 June 2013 - 11:57 AM.

RESTNWOLF

RESTNWOLF

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 247 posts
Hey Chris why cant you apply to IMOM for some help. I would think you would qualify.

Chriscat

Chriscat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
Hey Steve - thank you so much for responding!  Well, it says that they are not taking any new pins - I was hesitant to even ask for donations via this thread.  But after being a part of this community for several years - albeit years ago - I had hoped that some of the folks who remember these cats might be able to help.

I am bringing Magoo in at 1:30 to get my vet's opinion - of course, he needs full labs, biopsy, etc.   But this type of cancer has a very gloomy prognosis.........but one step at a time - he is still eating and acting somewhat happy.  I am just still in shock - I never expected to find that horrible thing in his mouth - my stomach lurched and I immediately burst into tears - and cried all night.  But I will be strong for my boy...

Thanks again Steve!

RESTNWOLF

RESTNWOLF

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 247 posts
I know they were not accepting new PINs when Jacki, the founder, was in the hospital recently, but as far as I know there have been new PINs sponsored since then. I think IMON is open for new PINs now. I'm not positive and don't know how to check if what you said about not accepting new applications is in fact the case. we need to double check. Steve

Cindy/IMOM

Cindy/IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• IMOM Vice President
  • 1,921 posts
Chris, please write to the financial aid committee at gf @ imom.org (remove spaces).  We may not be able to help but we won't know till you give us more details.

Cindy/IMOM
Cindy/IMOM

Chriscat

Chriscat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
Will do - thank you so much.   My vet just wanted to look at it - at this point, she does not think that it has spread.  But she wants to try and shrink it down if possible before going any further.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Update - am working with Dawn IMOM - and plowing my way through the app - it will take a bit but I am so very grateful for any help that my boy can receive.  Hopefully, soon, he will have his own PIN thread - I think that it might be time to retire this one....

I am exhausted - and I fear that some of my earlier posts were out of desperation and I am sorry if I sounded so upset.  I am so heartened that people here do care - I think that I have just been feeling so isolated - and with so many cats not feeling well - and with little or no money that I literally freaked out.  Thank you all so much for your encouragement and support!!!

Magoo - and btw - I call him "Goober" cause he is just one sweet hunk of a cat -  seems to know that he is going to get the right kind of help.  Over the last couple of months, without knowing what was going on, he has been subjected to guess work - antibiotics - remedies, etc.  But at least now we know what we are dealing with - and with future labs. etc. in the works, he will get the proper care that he needs.  Hopefully, he can get better from all of this - and at least be comfortable in the process.

Thank all of you so much - I feel so much better tonight than I did - the last 24 hours have been pretty scary and rough -  and I will sleep much better tonight than I did last night - which was not very much!

Chris, Magoo and the rest of the gang - "Cayenne, Rosemary, Woody, Tortie Miss, Sky,  the  Katrina miracle cats"  -  along with  Velvet, Lil Man Smoke and Voodoo Cat -   and ferals Wombat and Tommy Tom -

Edited by Chriscat, 28 June 2013 - 09:39 PM.

CatPaws

CatPaws

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,892 posts
Hi Chris.   Any word on your application?  How is the magical Mr. Magoo doing today?
HELP JUST ONE

Love, from AJ's Pride and Skeeter's Joy

Chriscat

Chriscat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi Paws!  and all -

I sent my vet the forms and the desk said that it might take a couple of days to do this.  Also, their office is closed on Mondays.  And it is taking me a bit of time to gather what I need -  but hopefully, everything will be filled out and submitted before the holiday.

Well, he's been sleeping a lot - and not scratching at all.  He's been eating, drinking and using his box.   I've been rinsing his mouth with a calendula water (bottled water with a few drops of calendula) several times a day, which he seems to like.  I'm also trying to supplement him with vitamins but he won't eat anything on his food.

My vet wants to try to shrink the tumor down and then do an injection into it - I am not yet clear about the details -  I asked about having it excised and she said that she could send me over to a surgeon if I wanted.  However, she said that these things almost always grow back - so she wants to try injecting it, while treating it holistically.  Again, I do not know the details until the vet has a chance to go over the forms and come up with a concise plan.  Labs, biopsy, to start with -   Once I know all of the options, then we will take it from there.  I do know that I am not going to put him through anything too traumatic -   meanwhile, I am grateful that for now, while he must be in some discomfort, he is not unhappy.  

This has all happened so fast - up until Thursday, I thought that I was dealing with itchy skin, hair pulling and a possible neurological problem with his extreme sensitivity.   Finding that under his tongue was one of the biggest shocks that I've had with rescue cats.   And one of the guiltiest as I had been in the cat's mouth three times a day for months - yet not once, looked underneath his tongue.  

Anyway, I will keep all posted on his progress - hopefully, he will soon have his own posting.  And recover from this - though he just turned 12 years old,  he's a  big strong cat - his mother was a seal point siamese (unspayed neighbor's cat) and his father was the "Monster Cat",  an enormous, big headed grey/black tabby cat.   It took me about a month to finally trap him - and he is one of about 4 feral cats who survived Katrina and the flooding in my old neighborhood.   So Magoo does have that going for him for what that's worth.

I'll keep you all posted but it will take another couple of days at least for my vet - and me, to get everything together -  I am so very grateful to have the chance to apply!!!!!!!!  Thanks for asking about Goo!!!

Chris and the kitties pic from 2002ish

Posted Image

Edited by Chriscat, 30 June 2013 - 12:19 PM.

Dawn IMOM

Dawn IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• IMOM Board of Directors
  • 1,469 posts
Chris - I can't get over how beautiful he is... and now he will forever be known as "Goo" in my mind.  I'm hoping for good news from the vet.  Keep us updated.
Dawn

kuhio98

kuhio98

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
Chris ~ Gentle hugs to you both.  I don't have any experience with tongue cancer in cats so I reached out to a friend in Vermont who has.  Every situation is different.  Every tumor is different.  So, it is difficult to make comparisons but Mandy's cancer was too large to remove to save the tongue and since cats eat and drink with their tongue... The prognosis was bad and sweet Many was put to sleep rather than putting her through painful surgery only to face dying of starvation.  

I'm not sharing this to worry you or depress you.  I just wanted to pass on the info so you can ask your wonderful vet more questions about what treatment options are available.  

Edited by kuhio98, 30 June 2013 - 12:48 PM.

Lisa http://www.goodsearch.com/ for IMOM ~ Earn a penny for IMOM with every search!
Also check out the Shopping function from GoodSearch

Chriscat

Chriscat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi -  yes he has always been a handsome hunk!  But those pics of him were taken a long time ago - my camera died and my cell phone takes cruddy pics - I will post other newer ones of him later.

Well, since the discovery of the tumor, I have probably been on the net for 28 hours trying to learn everything about this - and what you said seems to be the most quoted, that every growth is different. All the various treatments, etc.  Most of the prognosis's are pretty dismal - but I refuse to go there until we get some tests run.  But believe me, if it gets to a point where he is unable to eat or drink without pain - or is facing a possibly disfiguring surgery, I will not let him suffer or go through such a procedure -  even if I were a millionaire.

But we will cross that bridge if and when we get to it.  Until then, where there's life, there is hope - and for now, he is very much happy to be here - as am I.  It's funny though,  the screensaver on my PC shows "my pictures"  - I have thousands of mostly cat photos in there -  but it just seems that everytime I happen to look up at it, there is a picture of Magoo from some point in his life  - every other random pic that comes up is of him - spooky.

Thanks all for your encouragement - and your support -  Chris and Magoo - and the cat gang

July 1st update -  kind of "hurry up and wait"  -   I have my stuff - docs - proof of income, etc for IMOM - will contact vet tomorrow about her end.   Meanwhile, Goo seems the same.  He sleeps a lot during the day (as do the other slackers)  is eating - he gets two servings of grain free canned food - along with whatever grain free dry food he will eat.  He seems to be much more active late at night and early in the morning.  I get up a couple of times during the night to go to the bathroom and he is always there - meowing and eating the food in the bathroom and kitchen.  I usually take that opportunity to syringe his mouth with the calendula tincture too.

In the perfect world, if I did have the money, he would have been at some vet on Friday or the weekend for full labs and biopsy.  The first inclination is to do something NOW.   However, in reality,  we are doing what we can - I am blessed to have my holistic vet on board.  I feel that even if I had lab results that I would still choose Dr. Sagrera for long run treatment - and hopefully, that is coming very soon.  Time to get this show on the road!

I will figure out this forum soon - I forgot so much - so please excuse my posting errors..

I took some pics with my "join Verizon and get this phone free" job - a bit blurry -  Goo likes my lap - he has always been a "kneader" - just have to make sure his nails are clipped -  the other pic is an after dinner groom!

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Chriscat, 01 July 2013 - 08:26 PM.

Chriscat

Chriscat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
My vet sent in one form but are having difficulty with an estimate.   It is hard to estimate how much a bill is going to cost when no one really knows what we are dealing with - other than an ugly tumor.   The office is "getting slammed" they told me on the phone and they will probably not be able to fill out some kind of estimate until tomorrow.  I told them to just put down labs and a possible biopsy - that is really all that is needed for now

We just need to know his numbers - cbc - basic stuff.  And if the tumor is really cancerous or just appears to be squamous cell.

Meanwhile, I am at the point of screaming - I cannot tell you what a horrible - hopeless feeling this is to just sit here and do nothing.  Or at least that's how it feels like.   I am syringing his mouth and plying him with vitamins, etc - but I will feel much better once he goes in for labwork and biopsy.

I have scanned my documents but according to step 7, must wait until the vet sends in their docs?  Kind of confusing. ...

Chris and the kitties

Chriscat

Chriscat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
Well, now I got an IMOM email saying that  they do not pay for labs and diagnostics - which is what Magoo needs right now.  They also do not pay for cancer treatment - which is not what I was asking for.  So back to square one.  I never even sent in my docs -  this is beyond frustrating and beyond confusing - being told to do one thing by one person, then told something totally different by another.....

Thanks anyway guys -

Or, I am too stupid to know how to follow the online steps.  I was told that I did not submit my docs or request an application.  However, I understood that, FIRST,  the vet's documents had to all be in, then I could submit my documents - and THEN request an application.   As stated previously, my vet's office is closed on Monday - and they only received the IMOM docs on Saturday. I was waiting on the vet's docs to be fully submitted - then I was going to submit mine - and then when I had received verification that all docs were in, then I was going to request an application.  But it is all moot now.....

Meanwhile, the vet's office emailed me the estimate:

Mr Magoo:  Hi Chris--the estimate for basic lab work is 195.00  (radiographs, cbc/chemistry panel).   i would refer him for the biopsy/workup because if he has to be sedated for the biopsy, might as well do it all at once.   Or I can just do the basic work up to be sure there is no underlying kidney or liver problem, and check for chest mets before referring for biopsy.   in that case, if i referred for biopsy, i would just have them do an excisional biopsy if at all possible (debulk as much of the tumor as possible).

So double whammy - IMOM could not pay for any of the above anyway according to what I've been told or read - even if by some wild chance - he and I could have been accepted as a PIN.

So moving on to Plan Z -  as I had also mentioned earlier, I had already applied to dozens of online groups for help with my vet bills for the other cats and been told that there were no funds available or that I could make a "donation page" which that org would take a slice out of.  So no online group is out there who will help us.

Now hoping for lottery win or perhaps, I can go out and stand on the street with a cup and a sign.

Bummer bummer bummer - just having the last 4 days when I thought that Magoo would get the help that he needs - to back into total depression and despair...

Edited by Chriscat, 02 July 2013 - 04:30 PM.

RESTNWOLF

RESTNWOLF

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 247 posts
Hey Chris. Was Magoo one of the cats in the closet during Katrina ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users