Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

LaylaAnn05

Layla Poinelli

67 posts in this topic

what a precious girl. Without the gray she wouldn't even look like a senior.

I love ur avatar-how old was Layla there?

big hugs Gabs!

P.S. Tuckie thinks it's pretty cool that u are all ready for his BD next year!! thanks.

Judy - what a beautiful post...it made me remember all those "senior" moments that Layla had that I got to experience with her. I used to get sad thinking that Layla was "old" but I realize it was another part of her life that she shared with me. Thank you for sharing that with me..autumn is a good time of year isnt it?

Thanks Hoagie for stopping in! You tell Otis he is an inspiration and I like forgetting about the tomorrows too :) Hope all is well in your household.

Cindy, I think Layla was about 7 or 8 in that photo, and she does look like a puppy ! Everyone used to tell me that, noone could believe she was almost 12.

Life's pretty amazing sometimes...the other day I was talking to Layla about how I didn't know what I was supposed to do now. I felt lost and upset about the future without her. I've spent the last month crying every day, throughout the whole day, even the middle of the night. And then Layla sent me a suprise, something completely unexpected...in the form of a 10 week old chocolate lab named Chloe Chanel. She is the little face in the photo above. A suprise for me, but I think she was born for me and knew it because the moment she saw me she sat down and stared at me and wouldn't stop staring until I picked her up to hug her.

Not what I had in mind at all but pleasantly suprised. Good work Layla Ann, mommy loves you.

And then Layla sent me a suprise, something completely unexpected...in the form of a 10 week old chocolate lab named Chloe Chanel. She is the little face in the photo above. A suprise for me, but I think she was born for me and knew it because the moment she saw me she sat down and stared at me and wouldn't stop staring until I picked her up to hug her.

Not what I had in mind at all but pleasantly suprised. Good work Layla Ann, mommy loves you.

I am so happy for u Gabs. She is gorgeous. thank u Layla!

hugs

Thanks Cindy! I'll post more pics, you have to see her feet.....they are HUGE!! Poor thing has been sick...she isnt old enough to have all her shots and she caught kennel cough. She also picked up coccidia and a bacterial infection so poor thing is on some serious meds. We caught it early and thankfully she is feeling better and no longer has a snotty face. I kept her isolated but the vet said they can get sick from stress and environment change. Now the coccidia...we arent sure but she didnt have signs of it so she must have just picked it up.

The night she came over, I took her out and saw a shooting star. Last night i dreamt that I was walking Chloe and there were shooting stars everywhere. In my dream I thought it seemed so unreal that all those stars were doing that. But the dream felt so real that I really thought it was happening. When I woke up this morning, I realized it was a sign from Layla. I dont know how I knew that but there is no doubt thats what it is. She's let me know she is ok.

The house is busy. Dove went to the vet and they saw ealy signs of gingivitis so she goes in on the ninth for a prophy and a laser session. Chloe goes back to the vet on the seventh for a recheck but will still have a week of antibiotics.

We are busy - I kept telling my boss I was going to catch up on rest this weekend. Of course, that was pre-puppy and now I find myself getting up every two or three hours to check on her or let her out. In addition, my computer broke and I have to use my tablet for internet. Have you any idea how long it takes to type on a nook??

Love,

Us

Oh Gabby.....YAY RAH!!!!!!!

I KNOW that Layla sent you that shooting star AND the dream.....how PERFECT OF HER.....she loves what you did and is SO HAPPY not only was she the brightest star in the sky but a SHOOTING ONE to boot....isn't that so Layla.....

I am smiling and crying as I type this....can't wait to hear all the stories you are going to have....I'll keep a look out, don't know if you'll post here with Layla or over in Dog Dazes, Chloe Chanel (ABSOLYTELY LOVE THAT NAME) can join ranks with Rylee Jean and Gracie Belle.....that is the most PERFECT name.....

WOW! life is really keeping u busy!! But Chloe is a good kind of busy. I'm sorry the pupper picked up some bad stuff, but glad u are there to get her well and be her mommy.

The shooting stars are from Layla--I have no doubt.

We'll be think of Dovie!

keep dreaming'...

hugs.

Edited by k9sign

I'm glad too, that Chloe is with me and not stuck in a kennel feeling crappy. Although she was not showing any signs of being sick the first few days, her vet bills have been covered by her adoption agency since they don't send out sick puppies. In fact, all of it has been covered. They will pay for her vet stuff until she gets a clean bill of health. A check up with the vet Saturday confirmed that she is doing great and has only three more days of antibiotics and one more day of her liquid medicine. She is on ear drops until Monday but as long as everything goes good, she should be completely done. Whew!

It's so funny - I had my heart set on fostering senior dogs and here I am with an 11 week old, 15 lb puppy. I bet Layla is smiling about that one.

Since Layla has passed, I keep finding photos of her and things that belonged to her. For example, I found her plaque from the Blessing of the Pets back in 2007 and photos of her being blessed. I found a box of Layla scrapbook photos and Layla bandanas (from when she was a puppy and from when she was in therapy - they used to put a new one on her every visit). My brother found a photo of Layla from about a year ago when he dog sat for me while I was out of town for five days - she looks so good and is smiling in the photo. I will try and upload it; right now it is my phone screen saver :) I still miss her like crazy and think about her every day. Some days are easier than others and some days I just feel so hurt still. Of course, these days I have no time to cry because some little bundle of joy usually comes tearing into my lap when I start feeling like this. She's good therapy.

So Dovie was supposed to have her prophy today but the vet didn't want to do it. She found some abnormalities with her blood work - particularly her thyroid level. It should be no higher than 2.0 and hers is 2.6 and she lost 0.8 lbs in the last week and a half (possibly due to Chloe). In addition, she has elevated BUN and creatine levels and elevated calcium levels. So, the vet did some more blood work and some additional testing: a free T4 test, Ionized Calcium and parathyroid tests and another chem 11 with CBC panel. Now, we wait. Tomorrow I should know the results from the BUN and creatine and thyroid test and next week I will know what is going on with the calcium levels. The vet said hopefully it will just be a thyroid issue we are looking at and not kidney failure issues. :( Poor Dove, I had no idea she was feeling so crummy.

Will keep everyone updated. Thanks for checking in on us. :)

Edited by LaylaAnn05

Anxiously awaiting the vet's phone call for her thyroid and BUN/Creatine levels. Hopefully we get good news, although at this point I am not sure what would be considered good news...should I be praying for hyperthyroidism? That would be better than kidney failure...Well, we will be praying for NORMAL test results!!! :heart: :heart:

Oh thankful days!!!! I just spoke to the vet who told me that she is shocked and did NOT expect to see normal ranges in her bloodwork but they DID!! We are still waiting for her parathyroid and calcium results but her T4, BUN and creatine levels are within normal range :)

I bet a couple of angels worked their magic...thank you Layla, Nefertiti and Big Guy :heart:

And of course, I bet there was magic from IMOM too ;)

I am so glad the house is doing well, again. :)

I am hoping u get just as good results with the parathyroid/calcium tests. Good thing though that u did the labs before the dental...not everyone does.

So glad Chloe is helping u in ur sad moments-nothing like a puppy's exuberance, wiggle and loving to bring u from tears of sadness to laughter.

Keep us posted on Dovie's labs.

hugs

hugs to u all!

Oh Cindy - I am such a worrier, there is no way I could have let her get any anesthesia without blood work!! Especially if anything happened that could have been prevented - I would never forgive myself.

It truly is a miracle that Dove's blood work came back normal - I was freaking out thinking that she was so sick. I know that there could still be underlying issues but for now, we are enjoying eachother's company and trying not to stress about how many days there are until next week. I'm not sure if anyone realizes how small Dovie is - she is only 7.2 lbs. :heart: so the loss of almost 1 pound is pretty scary. The vet said that she thinks Dove may have been dehydrated - not sure how that would have happened though :(

Missing my Layla so much. I'm not sure if anyone knew this but I am STILL in school - going on what, six years?? LOL. I had to take some time off when I got really sick and had to change my major due to health issues but the last year I've been doing better. Only, with Layla gone this semester i've realized that my heart isn't into school ( or much else for that matter) so I am dropping my class until next semester. I think I just need a break. It's really hard to get into Organic Chemistry 2 when you could care less about aromatic benzene rings and how to name them. Layla was better at chemistry than I am.

Don't get me wrong - I love Chloe :heart: I just wish Layla Ann was here to meet her too. I guess today has just been unusually rough. I think with Layla's birthday coming up, I am not sure what to do. For the last 11 years, that was her day. With the exception of the one birthday she had in 2006 after the stroke, we always celebrated her birthday together. And now she is gone.

Chloe is feeling better, thankfully. We have an appointment for next Monday for a check up and hopefully, her second round of shots. (She would have already had them if she hadn't gotten sick). They gave me a schedule for all of her shots and her spay and microchip but when she got sick, the dates got pushed back. After October, she will be completely vetted and can start going to my vet hospital. Which is much closer - anyone having to travel an hour with a bouncy puppy understands the importance of this :) I got Chloe a seatbelt harness - she was getting to be too much in the car. She starts out sitting in the front seat but slowly worms her way onto your neck (yeah, I said neck. She takes a flying leap from the passenger seat to land there and doesn't care if you are driving either). Last week, she decided to stick her head out of the window only she lost her balance and her paw slid down the window into the open space between the actual window glass and the window itself and wedged. All i heard were screams so I quickly had to pull over and "remove" her paw from the window.

She keeps me on my toes, that's for sure.

Happy Birthday Layla Ann,

Who knew 12 years ago, on this very day, that God had a plan.

When I first saw you I thought, Those eyes -

They were blue because you were a puppy mill dog and had cataracts most likely since birth - were bright with life despite the miserable start you had. Shipped here in a crate from Missouri, you survived because God had a plan. You survived those two months in isolation, unable to be sold at the pet store because you had a "congenital defect". In my eyes, you were perfect. The vet told me that it would more humane to have you put to sleep, being as sick as you were when I first took you home. Those flat feet you had from months spent in wire cages, the vet said would never be the same. She'll never walk, she'll never see the vet said. But God had a plan.

Slowly, you healed. You began walk, you learned what a leash was. You learned how to play. I'll never forget the heartbreak I had when I tried to play with you the first time and you took off in fear. How afraid you were of squeaky toys. You learned how to "squeak it" without being fearful although you would still drop it and whine. You learned that playing was fun and nothing to be fearful of.

You taught me how to love, selflessly. You taught me there is nothing better in life than dog hair on your clothes, and toys scattered across the living room. You taught me to slow down and enjoy life.

You helped heal my heart too. I never thought I would be the same after my father died but you showed me how to live again. You showed me the importance of this yet again when I got depressed after the doctors told me that I was sick. Time and time again, when I was ready to give up, you'd gently remind me of why life was good.

I wish I knew where that vet was now. I'd tell her about all the jogs that Layla and I went on daily. I would tell her how Layla knew each and every one of her toys by name. I'd tell her how Layla's tummy healed - it just needed some good antibiotics and some gentle food. I'd tell her how Layla spent years chasing ducks, playing with her sister and suntanning in the backyard. I'd tell her how I spent the last 12 years with the most amazing friend that I will ever have. I'd tell her that giving life to my Layla Ann was something that I will never regret.

I love you Angel face, and I miss you more than life itself. Who knew 12 years ago, God had a plan.

Before I knew you, I merely existed in life. After I knew you, I had lived it.

Mom

Beautiful Gabs, just beautiful.

Thank u again for honoring Layla by helping Tucker. It means the world to me.

Happy birthday sweet Layla...and thanks.

Missing you Layla Ann....

Today is beautiful outside. I know you would have spent the morning suntanning in the backyard. If I close my eyes, I can almost see you there. I miss you Angel Face, there's no denying that. I don't think I'll ever be the same, now that you're gone.

What I wouldn't do for one more moment with you.

Two months today. Not a day has gone by that I haven't counted. It's hard to believe that this day is here, and the days just keep coming. When Layla passed away, I didn't think this day existed. It was hard to believe that time would keep going with Layla gone. Yet, here I am. How have I made it two months without my Angel Face? I've been thinking of her a lot and I just keep remembering more and more. Memories I'd forgotten we'd had. :heart:

It still seems like only yesterday that I got to hug and kiss that face I love so much yet it feels like an eternity since I've seen her. It's still hard to believe that she will never come put her head in my hand or comfort me when I am sad. I've got no one to share my goldfish with, or my french fries. Who's going to dance with me??

Until we meet again, my sweet Angel Face. You will always be in my heart.

sending much love and hugs to u Gabs. I know layla is watching over her mama.

It is hard to believe it's been 2 months. It always feels like time should just stop when we have a loss.

Take care of urself Gabs.

hugs

It's been pretty hard coming on here. I wanted to give an update but I've just been missing Layla a lot these days and it just seems so hard sometimes to type anything, let alone talk about her. I've spent the last few months just thinking about her, missing her, crying about her. I went from being able to talk about her without crying to bawling my eyes out just thinking of her. It went from denial to acceptance and it's just been unbearable. My heart dog, I don't know how I can ever get past her being gone forever. The holidays have been rough without her too. I used to buy her a toy for every one, elves or peppermint shaped chews for Christmas, ghosts or pumpkins for Halloween but now Chloe and I continue the tradition.

Speaking of the moster, I just filled the kong with treats. She figured out that if she picks it up and drops it, out bounce the treats. Well, now it's empty but the poor thing keeps picking it up and dropping it and looking. I keep laughing but she looks so sad and confused.

Chloe and I are becoming quite the pair. I take her everywhere with me and the other day I was in the car and she wasn't and I thought this is what it would be like without Chloe. It almost broke my heart but I realized that her and I are forming that bond. It's beyond the cute, new puppy stage and more into the best friend stage.

I posted a few pics under Sydneys thread but here the are. She is getting BIG, she is 6 months and almost 50 lbs!!!

Dove is good, she was diagnosed with idopathic hypercalcimia so she has to go in quarterly for tests for the next year. Then biannually and then annually.

Chloe just had her spay surgery a few weeks ago. It got postponed due to her being sick in the beginning (since her shots got postoned and she had to have her rabies prior).

I'll update more when I don't have a big lab puppy trying to get my attention. She keeps dropping toys in my lab and sitting patiently. So sweet. Man oh man, do I love this dog.

post-382-0-45537100-1387847046_thumb.jpg

That is one adorable reindeer! I'm so happy she found a place in your heart and home. Thinking of Layla Ann and Nefertiti, too.

That is one adorable reindeer! I'm so happy she found a place in your heart and home. Thinking of Layla Ann and Nefertiti, too.

Awww, thanks :) The holidays were rough this year without Layla but it was Miss Chloe's first Christmas too. So, you know what that means? First time opening gifts! Chloe was so cute, she tore through her gifts and then grabbed the wrapping paper by her mouth and SHOOK it so hard the toys came flying out!

Miss Layla Ann had better manners :) She would sit there patiently and wait until I opened her gifts... :heart: Man, oh man, do I miss that girl. I keep telling myself it will get easier, but it hasn't. In fact, it just became more of a reality and still hurts like crazy. But, we take it one day at a time, one step at a time. And I know I'll get there eventually.

Chloe does make a cute reindeer though, doesn't she? She is so much fun! She looks all perfectly innocent in that photo but I am actually holding a bag of treats up that you can't see. That's why she is sitting so perfectly.

Chloe is going to be starting her second session of training - this one will be six weeks. The first one was 2 weeks but she was there for 10 days straight. This six week session will be just once a week so she will get to stay at home with me. She doesn't know it yet but she is on the path to becoming a Canine Good Citizen. Well, as long as she wants to be anyways. I think it will be great. Chloe has so much patience and such an understanding soul - I think she would bring great comfort to sick people by just laying with them. So, we are training her with that goal in the future.

I am also going to get her into dock diving. She just isn't old enough yet but WOW can this dog JUMP!!! :) She's a fruitcake but I love her :heart:

Dove has to go back to the vets for her prophy. Because of everything that was going on, we were waiting to see if she had more normal results. So, she gets another round of testing and if all goes well, she will FINALLY get her dental done in February...She seems to be doing great though! She put on a little more weight and is slowly getting used to Chloe. Slowly. :)

All is good.

Ha found ya, yehaaa, love the pics

Glad you found us!!! :)

I actually came on here today to let everyone know that the Rainbow Bridge has another angel. When I was a kid, I brought home this little white/grey kitty. She was being shot at by neighborhood kids with a BB gun. Thankfully, I found her in the middle of all of this. So, I brought her home. Of course, my parents let me keep her. That summer we were set to go on vacation however, since I brought home a kitten, we had to change plans. So, my parents actually got someone to stay at the house for 2 weeks to care for her. :heart:

She was spunky and had attitude. She was prissy and would lick anywhere you pet her. She hated her tail touched despite the fluffiness to it. She was beautiful. Still is. I named her Missy because, well, it fit. She was such a lil' miss and so prissy. She used to sleep on my bed and chase my eyes when they moved while I was sleeping.

Of course, I grew up and she stayed at my parents even when I moved out. I tried to take her when I was 18 but she freaked out having known only my parents house. She became my little brothers best friend and then when he grew up, my nephews (he is 11 1/2).

A few months ago, she was looking thin. A visit to the vets indicated anemia and malnutrition, from old age. Everything else checked out ok. The vet gave them some tips and she was brought home. She bounced back for a while but eventually became weak again. Yesterday I went and said my good-byes and today she went to the Rainbow Bridge.

Run free Missy girl but don't forget about us. We love you so very much.

Oh, Gabs, it is incredibly hard to lose a baby from ur youngster years. Missy sounds like she was a remarkable kitty and helped u, then ur brother and then ur nephew to have an enriched life.

Your parents did an amazing thing hiring someone to watch Missy during ur vacation. Now I know where ur love of animals comes from.

Missy won't ever forget the love u all showed her through the years. Thank ur family for me for being such an amazing, loving family to Missy. I know she will watch out for all of u.

Hugs to u Gabs.

So, today is another month. To be exact, it's been 8 months. How did this happen? How has life continued without Layla Ann? Oh, it doesn't get any easier does it?

Everyone says that time heals and that slowly I will smile when I remember Layla but it's not really working as planned. I miss her like crazy and it's so hard sometimes.

Spring is here - watching all of the trees come back to life and seeing the grass turn green just reminds me of Layla. How many springs did we watch the earth come back to life? How many springs did she spend suntanning in the backyard? Or under the tree?

I don't write on her thread often because it's just so painful. I just know that at some point in my life, I will want to be able to read this. I am forever grateful that her PIN pages are still on IMOM because I can go back and read them.

Forgive me for being all over the place --

Gab