Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

LaylaAnn05

Layla Poinelli

67 posts in this topic

On Thursday, around 5 pm, Layla Ann went to the Rainbow Bridge. My angel face was once a PIN on here because she suffered a rare form of stroke called a Fibrocartiligenous Embolism at the age of 5. Against the odds, she survived and lived an additional 6 years.

This is what happened.

On Monday Layla was diagnosed with a bad UTI and was given an appointment for Thursday to check for bladder stones with x-rays. By Wednesday, around 7 pm she was in so much pain I took her to the emergency vet still thinking she had stones. They gave her something for the pain and checked but saw no stones so we decided to follow up with the vet in the am. Layla spent the entire night crying in pain until finally the vet saw us in the morning. They took some more tests, x-rays, and determined that Layla was not getting enough oxygen, in fact only 31%. She also had a brain tumor that caused her to go blind in her left eye between the time we left the ER and saw the vet in the morning. She had also lost function of her hind legs, and her jaw.

Because she was suffering so much, and because I love her more than life itself, I decided to say goodbye. I was holding her head and saying goodbye and I love you when she took her last breath. It has been the hardest thing to do and I miss her so much. All I can think about is her and how much of a good dog she was and how special she was, not only to me but to everyone who knew her. I thank God that I had her for any amount of time, let alone 12 years. She fought against the odds and we had such a special bond, and I don't think I will ever have that again. It hurts so much.

I'll update more later, when I can type without crying my eyes out. I'll post some recent pictures of her too, so you can see the little old lady she was able to grow into. :)

Gabby, you and Layla sure did have a very special bond. And you always will.

We were all so happy to see you here again; and so very sorry to hear this heartbreaking news.

:rose: Paula

OMG Gabby. You just posted abt Layla's UTI on the boyz thread and we both felt for each other since Tuck has one too.

I have been posting since Tuesday abt the possibility that Tuck has a brain tumor, never knowing what was happening with Layla. I am just shocked with all the both of u have been through in this short amount of time.

My heart just breaks for u Gabs. I wish I could take ur pain away.

I want to thank the IMOM angels for giving Gabs the extra years with Layla. Gabs and Layla had a special bond and all of u made sure it could continue.

sending u huge hugs and much love Gabby. I am stunned, so can only imagine how u are feeling.

I do hope u post some pics of Layla. I haven't "seen" her in years.

:animcndc_sm: Run free Layla, but please keep watch over ur mama.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Gabs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Gabby, I saw that you had posted and just read what you wrote...I am SO SO SORRY.....honey, I can't believe that Layla has gone ahead.....you had just told me that she had a great check up....and then I saw the post on Cindy's boys thread that she had a UTI.....

I don't know what to say to you...I know that you are in shock and your heart is :broken_heart: ...I am so glad that you came back to IMOM when you did...perhaps that was meant to be...I think things happen for a purpose....and now you are here and we can help you with this....

Know that we all care...you both were such a special part of IMOM.....I am sending you hugs and prayers that you will soon hear from Layla and know that she is safe...I know that my Kayla and Cody welcomed her with open arms...and they are all talking about what good Mommas they had.....

God Speed :pp_animal_554:

Yesterday I picked up Layla Ann from the vets, and I cried the whole way there and back. My heart is empty and my soul hurts. Each day brings a different emotion, sometimes I feel empty and numb, other days all I can do is cry because I hurt so bad. I am trying to take it one day at a time. When I got to the vets, I walked in and waited behind a customer who was paying. And wouldn’t you know it, this beautiful white boxer was with her. Her name was Roxy and she came over to say Hi. It was all I could do to not lose it, but it did make me smile too.

Cindy, Paula, Judy, thank you all for your kind words. I don’t know what I would do without the support and compassion of all of you.

Like Judy said, everything happens for a reason. This is the reason I think that I was drawn back to IMOM.

Hindsight being what it is, I can look back and see what I couldn’t then. When I took Layla to the vets a few weeks ago, they said she had a clean bill of health but there was something the vet was concerned about. I had mentioned to the vet that I was so happy that Layla never had tumors like other boxers, and how lucky we were to have avoided that medical scare. The vet gently explained to me that boxers can get tumors in their brain and spines and that she was concerned because Layla was having difficulty standing. I told her that Layla was like this because of the stroke but I suspect she saw something that I didn’t or something that I refused to see.

Layla was peeing in the house too. We thought it was the UTI but one day she was laying down and just pee’d and didn’t even notice she was going. Again, I thought UTI but now I am looking back I see that it must have been neurological.

Layla was also reverting back to puppy behavior, doing things she hadn’t done in 10+ years. She started digging these massive holes in the backyard. At the time, I thought she was feeling young again but again, I am beginning to believe this was just another sign. She was also digging through the laundry and trashcan, things she never did.

She had also been panting occasionally. I figured because we live in Florida and it’s a million degrees outside but again, I’m thinking it was the holes in her lungs. L

For whatever reason, I came back to IMOM. It was here that I found support, love and kindness. It is also at IMOM where I can be honest and not have someone look at me like it was “just a dog”. She was never just a dog, she was my life. There was nothing I wouldn’t do for Layla, and in return, there was nothing that she wouldn’t do for me.

I’m learning how lonely life is without a dog. I never felt alone like I do now because I always had Layla to talk to. I miss her sounds, the way she would greet me at the door, the way she would eat all of my French fries. I’m finding that I spent so much of my day talking to her, worrying about her, or spending time with her. I guess I didn’t realize how intertwined we were until she was gone and I feel the emptiness of not having her to talk to.

Just a Dog

From time to time people tell me, "Lighten up. It's just a dog."

or "That's a lot of money for just a dog."

They don't understand the distance traveled, time spent or costs involved for "Just a dog".

Some of my proudest moments have come about with "Just a dog".

Many hours have passed with my only company being "Just a dog"

and not once have I felt slighted.

Some of my saddest moments were brought about by "just a dog".

In those days of darkness ,

the gentle touch of "Just a dog" provided comfort

and purpose to overcome the day.

If you, too, think it's "Just a dog", you will probably understand phrases like

"Just a friend" or "just a sunrise" or "Just a promise".

"Just a dog" brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust,

and pure unbridled joy. "Just a dog" brings out the compassion and patience that make me a better person.

Because of "Just a dog" I will rise early,

take long walks, and look longingly to the future.

For me and folks like me, it's not "Just a dog".

It's an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future,

the fond memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment.

"Just a dog" brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts

away from myself and the worries of the day.

I hope that someday people can understand it's not "Just a dog."

It's the thing that gives me humanity and keep me from being

"Just a man " or "Just a woman".

So the next time you hear the phrase "Just a dog",

Smile because they "Just don't understand"..

Author unknown.

my heart just aches for u Gabs.

I hope u can feel our love surrounding u.

Hugs.

I am sorry you lost your beloved Layla. I know what you are going through. I lost my 13 year old schipperke June 20th to liver cancer, and just took my 12 year old JRT mix in Thursday to see if he might have hurt his back, and they found a liver mass on X-ray. Monday we go for an ultrasound and needle aspirate. We love them so much, and we do everything we can for them. We can only do that, and remember all the years of love and companionship. Godspeed, sweet Layla. Judy G.

Edited by Judy G

Gabby, I just wanted to touch base with you and let you know my heart hurts for you.....I just did a matching challenge in honor of you and Layla for Kenny the little guy that needs surgery for bladder stones.....

I will write more later, but know that you are in my thoughts.....

Gabby,

My heart goes out to you too ...for some of us our pets are our families ....I know what a heartfelt loss this can be. The above poem of "Just A Dog" brought me to tears. I lost Zoom (PIN) a few years ago and I can still find myself in tears thinking of some moments with her.

I pray your heart is comforted with those memories....with lots of gentle hugs.

Susan, MisChief,

& Angel Pin ZOOM

:animcnda_lg:

Susan - Thank you for your kindness. I am sorry about your loss too, if I remember correctly Zoom and you were on here when Layla and I were. The poem made me bawl my eyes out but it is so true -- I hope it brought a smile to you as well.

Cindy - Thank you for your kindness too, especially with everything you have going on in your house. I've been thinking of you and the kids and hope that you are all safe and healthy. I will keep praying for Tuckie, that little cutie pie.

Judy - My heart goes out to you. I am so sorry for your loss and for everything you are going through now. I am hoping and praying for a positive outcome on Monday - please keep me posted. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your donation match in honor of my sweet angel face. It brought tears but it also made me smile - Layla was so special and it's touching to see her honored. Thank you.

I am always and forever grateful to IMOM for giving me more time with Layla - this place really is full of angels. I truly believe that I came back here because of Layla. There is an overwhelming support system here and I think that IMOM is a place that will help me heal.

I'm so sorry for your loss. There is nothing worse then losing your baby. I lost mine a few months ago. I will tell you time will heal you but you will always miss them. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Bluehole - thank you for your kind words. I am sorry that you lost your baby - it's the hardest, most awful feeling I can think of. I'm trying to find comfort in knowing that time will help me heal but I'm scared too, mostly of going on without Layla. I hope that you too, can find comfort in your memories with your baby. :heart:

Certainly not "just a dog", although "just a dog" doesn't sound like an insult to Hoagie and me :pp_animal_564: You are doing Miss LaylaAnn proud, Miss Gabs.

Thank you all for your words of encouragement...Huckleberry Hound, thank you. I can only hope that Layla would be proud :)

Cindy - hugs to you! I am so glad to hear the news for Tuckie-butt..and just in time for his birthday. I think you asked before but yes, Layla and Tuck were close in age...Layla would have been 12 this September :heart:

I miss her so much. Some days I cry less than others and once I even smiled so I know I will get thre one day. I've been sleeping with her blanket since she went to the RB and its starting to lose her puppy smell. It makes me want to just lose it and break down sometimes. But, I may be crazy, it's almost like I can hear her sometimes...telling me not to give up..my work's not done. Last night her presence was so strong that I checked out some rescue groups...and am seriously thinking about being a foster for senior dogs. Everyone keeps telling me that I am crazy because that is a guarantee for future heartbreak. But it just breaks my heart to see 14 year old dogs in a kennel...they should be lounging on the couch and suntanning at the park. They should be laying in comfy beds surrounded by family, doing all of the things Layla Ann got to experience.

So, we shall see what the future (and Layla) have in store for me.

Love Gab, Dove, Angel Layla

Does anyone know if Layla's old PIN thread can be merged with this one? It'd be nice to have her story all in one place....

I spent last night reading Layla's old thread...

I prayed for more time with her,

I prayed she would learn to walk again,

I prayed she would chase her beloved ducks,

I prayed she would survive,

I prayed she didn't have cancer,

I prayed her immune system would improve,

I prayed she wouldn't suffer,

I prayed she would get old,

I realized last night how blessed I was, my prayers had all been answered. Layla got to do all of these things, and I got to enjoy every moment of her life. To have been able to spend another 6 years with her, although too short of a time as I wanted her to live forever, is something I am so grateful for. Thank you IMOM angels.

I miss you Layla Ann...it seems like its been forever and yet it seems like just yesterday you were suntanning in the backyard. Until we meet again, you will be with me in spirit always. You and I, we bonded, like soul mates do and I know that you feel my prescence too. Mommy loves you angel face.

Hoagie here. I been a thinking bout what my dad told me is written here. I don't know for sure, but I think the reason dogs like me don't live as long as people is cause we need our people, and wouldn't know what to do without them.

and then I thinks about what you said about the old dogs, like my pal Otis, and how you been thinking about maybe fostering a senior. Don't listen to what dos people tell you bout heartbreak waiting for you. A dog like Otis, old I mean, would never break your heart. Otis, he tells me, we don't thinks about future. We thinks only bout today.

Edited by Huckleberry Hound

I spent last night reading Layla's old thread...

I prayed for more time with her,

I prayed she would learn to walk again,

I prayed she would chase her beloved ducks,

I prayed she would survive,

I prayed she didn't have cancer,

I prayed her immune system would improve,

I prayed she wouldn't suffer,

I prayed she would get old,

I realized last night how blessed I was, my prayers had all been answered. Layla got to do all of these things, and I got to enjoy every moment of her life. To have been able to spend another 6 years with her, although too short of a time as I wanted her to live forever, is something I am so grateful for. Thank you IMOM angels.

I miss you Layla Ann...it seems like its been forever and yet it seems like just yesterday you were suntanning in the backyard. Until we meet again, you will be with me in spirit always. You and I, we bonded, like soul mates do and I know that you feel my prescence too. Mommy loves you angel face.

Your post brought me to tears Gabby. I am so glad all ur prayers were answered and Layla had such a wonderful 6 extra years. But I know at this point Tuck has had even more extra time then even Layla had-9 extra years the wonderful IMOM angels have given him...but it's never enough, and even thinking of losing him just breaks my heart. I do so wish that Layla had at least 9 extra years. I so wish u had her in ur arms tonight...but I truly do believe that u have been sensing Layla and hearing her.

Don't listen to other people abt fostering seniors...just listen to ur heart...

I am sure Layla's old thread can be merged...just don't know how to do it. Maybe someone else can answer.

big hugs, Gabs.

Cindy - that was actually a typo. I was blessed enough to get an additional 7 years, not six. :) When I went back and read your comment, something didn't add up right. And I realized that I couldn't do math properly. Not good for a biologist ;)

As always, thank you for everything.

I saw Tuckie-butt had a birthday...I hope he got extra taters :) Please give him an extra birthday wish from me, sorry I'm a couple of days late (actually, I have an appearance to uphold – tell him I'm early for next year).

I wanted to show you a picture of Miss Layla Ann – this photo was taken about a week before she passed away. Look at all the gray... :heart:post-382-0-75392600-1377700081_thumb.jpg

Any dogs or cats, foster or otherwise, that I get in future will all be seniors. I think this is a wonderful plan. Will your heart be broken? Of course it will, but even young dogs die; we have no guarantees. And how much better your heart will feel if you love and care for a dog in their later years.

I've posted this before recently, but I think it bears repeating:

Autumn by Christy Caballero

What do we do when our loving pets face the last leg of the race? We do all we can to help them finish well, of course. We take time to read the unspoken needs of the friends we've come to know so well.

We give the simple reassurance of a loving touch when the old boy seems confused for no reason. We groom them faithfully, but more gently, as age brings muscle wasting, and the arthritic bones aren't so well padded. We learn to slow down for their sake, as they enjoy the scent of the wind, or track a visitors trail across their yard.

We expect to be inconvenienced, and aren't angry when it happens. We watch for pain and treat it, watch for changes in vision and hearing and do what we can to help preserve those precious senses for as long as possible. We take care of their teeth, and make sure their food is a manageable texture for them. We remind them of the need for a potty walk when they seem to forget.

We remember the little rewards. We scratch the graying ears and tummy, and go for car rides together. When the pet we love has an unexplained need for comfort, we give it freely. When infirmities bring a sense of vulnerability, we become our old guardian's protector.

We watch their deepest slumbers, when dreams take them running across long-forgotten fields, and we remember those fields, too. When they cannot stand alone, we lift them. When their steps are uncertain, we steady them.

And if their health fails, it falls to us to make the choice that will gently put them to rest. But until that is absolutely necessary, we pause to let the autumn sun warm our old friend's bones. And we realize, autumn is not a bad time of year at all.

Old age is not a disease or a reason to give up. It is a stage of life that brings its own changes. Autumn can be a beautiful time of harvest. And, sometimes, the harvest is love.