Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Jamie K. - IMOM

Nutmeg Salvaggio - Mammary Gland Tumor - Surgery Needed Tomorrow

20 posts in this topic

You may remember Nutmeg Salvaggio, the beautiful 13-year-old Maine Coon kitty who had a large open mass on her glands that IMOM helped earlier this year. Her previous surgery went well, but Nutmeg has developed mammary gland tumors and needs additional surgery. Nutmeg's Mom contacted us before we closed temporarily, and we finalized her application today.

Thanks to IMOM's amazing and generous donors, IMOM was able to pledge $400.00 to help get Nutmeg into surgery tomorrow.

Here is what Nutmeg's Mom has to say about Nutmeg: "I am seeking financial help for my cat Nutmeg. I have had nutmeg for 12 years. I saved her from the pound back in 2001. She has always been a healthy cat without any problems. She is such a joy, faithful, dedicated, loving, w/beautiful disposition.She has an aggressive mass that continues to grow on her mammary gland that needs surgical removal.She is very uncomfortable and so worth saving.Please help me save Nutmeg 2continue her life forward. It is not her time to go. I can tell by her actions."

Nutmeg's Mom also posted an introduction about Nutmeg here: http://tinyurl.com/bso6ott

post-9302-0-21803100-1364943079_thumb.jp

Please keep Nutmeg and her family in your thoughts as we wait to hear the outcome of her surgery.

We cannot thank you all enough for making these donations possible. Without your help, Nutmeg wouldn't be having her surgery tomorrow.

To make a donation to IMOM's general fund to help the next pet in need who comes to us when there is no time to fundraise visit http://tinyurl.com/ag9dfyj

Jamie.K/IMOM Trainee

Edited by Jamie K IMOM Trainee

DIESEL GOODMAN IS HAPPY FOR NUTMEG TO HAVE RAISED THE FUNDS NEEDED FOR SURGERY.I KNOW HOW MUCH YOU FEEL THAT IMOM IS WORKING WITH YOU,YOU HAVE MANY ANGELS THAT WORK AROUND THE CLOCK TO HELP OUT WITH THESE KINDS OF SPECIAL PETS " DIESEL WILL BE THERE".LOOKING DOWN" ON NUTMEG THROUGH OUT THE SURGERY & THE RECOVERY"

LOVE FROM DIESEL GOODMAN & FAMILY YOU ARE IN OUR PRAYS

IF EVER YOU HAVE SOME TIME & I MEAN TIME SIT DOWN AND READ

DIESELS STORY & WHAT IMOM DID FOR HIM. PUG HUGS TO YOU

AND NUTMEG

Edited by dieselcoda

Nutmeg's Mom hasn't been able to get on the forum to post, but she emailed IMOM and said she is taking Nutmeg in this morning in about 30 minutes for surgery.

We all wish Nutmeg the best and hope for a positive outcome.

Jamie.K/IMOM Trainee

Hello Everyone who helps make this a place that puts a warm spot in my heart. I just want to thank everyone personally for helping me out with their donations and hard work to help god's little creatures. I feel so blessed to have gotten help here at IMOM. It was not until your donations came in that I was able to schedule surgery for Nutmeg and feel a bit of relief. I am scared still because I want everything to go well. She was set to have surgery today however, we had to postpone it until tomorrow because some of the confirmations from other pledges had not come through yet. I will keep you posted on her surgery and recovery.. a BIG THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED MAKE THIS HAPPEN~ <3 <3 Teresa & Nutmeg

:catwatching:

post-13323-0-82638400-1365028065_thumb.j

Hello IMOM'ers

I am happy to report that Nutmeg just got out of surgery and made it. She was under for 2 hours. I am not sure of all the terminology but he forewarned me that her incision is large. Something about limpnodes under her arms and her blood count was high, 2.2 rather then 2.0. Last I spoke to him she was groggy from being under for so long. He might keep her overnight and will be keeping her until 5 pm for sure. They inserted tubes for drainage. I am scared for her but happy that she has an opportunity to get better. I have to put her on a special diet of low protein, and she will probably be in some pain. I just want to thank everyone here for being the biggest part of making this happen for Nutmeg.Thank you so much for all your kindness and help. We are forever grateful. I will keep you posted as things develop.

Lymph nodes. :) I am very happy to hear that Nutmeg had a successful surgery. I hope the vet keeps her overnight-she would probably be ok, but with a big incision and drains, they look a little overwhelming sometimes.

Best wishes and prayers for beautiful Nutmeg. :)

Judy G.

Good Morning~ Nutmeg stayed over night. I went to visit her and she was not a happy girl. It was very odd not having her here last night. Nutmeg sleeps with me so there is a big hole missing without her home. After seeing how mad and uncomfortable she was last night, it really made me sad. I also saw what they pulled out of her. After that I felt really sick and almost fainted. This time around was a lot more serious and I am super nervous of how she is going to recover. I hope the surgery was worth all the pain she is feeling right now. I will update once I get her home and nested.

I'm so sorry this surgery was so hard on Nutmeg - and you. We are all thinking about Nutmeg and hope to hear good news soon.

Jamie.K/IMOM Trainee

Edited by Jamie K IMOM Trainee

Doc just called me and said she is doing better today and I can come and get her. I just got the place ready for her. He says she needs a low protein diet. Any suggestions??

Teresa xo

Keeping paws crossed that Nutmeg will be fine soon and that she recovers fully. It can be very scary, but Nutmeg has lots of people sending up good wishes for her and she has an excellent Mom to take good care of her when she comes home.

Let us know how she's doing. All the best,

Sheila :catonchair

I sure hope Nutmeg is doing okay. Please let us know how she's doing.

Jamie.K/IMOM Trainee

Hel lo everyone. Well Nut meg is still in recovery mode. She is in a lot of pain. I can't get her to take her medicine. It has been a battle. Last night I tried so hard to get her to take the pill and she just was not having it. This morning was drama. I finally got her to ingest the pill and she started foaming at the mouth. This is such a hard thing right now.. I know she is uncomfortable but she wont take the meds. Just wanted to update. We will get through this. Teresa

Teresa ...

I know how scary and difficult all of this is for both you and your precious Nutmeg.

(please bear with me ... my computer keeps fouling up)

Have you tried Pill Pockets for Nutmeg ?? They come in several flavors. They are made

by Greenies .. Ask your vet if it is okay that she have them. You can get at !!PetSmart,

PetCo any place like that (I think maybe even WalMart - not positive).

Also try Whipped Cream Cheese (if my computer erases this one more time I'm gonna

scream)

Get a dollop of the whipped cream cheese (give her a a little taste first) then put the pill in the middle -

(arrrrrrrrrrrrg) of some and hopefully she will gobble it right up.

with my Big Ole Boy - it was only the Pill Pockets - he was super finicky.

For a low protein diet .. you're going to need to probably change to a dry and/or prescription

food. Again, you should ask your vet or vet tech what they might suggest - particularly if you

have to watch it because of your income. (I more than understand).

My computer keeps messing up .. making it difficult to type - curser is this jumping every where.

I hope this helps a little .... know I'm holding you both in my heart and prayers.

With much love,

and BIG HUGS

Donna and 'The Big Beautiful Angel, Bandit'

:felineicon:

:pawprint:

:rose:

We've had trouble giving pills to one of our kitties also. It usually takes 2 of us. One of us wraps her in a towel like a burrito and the other gently applies pressure to the jaw joint. When she opens her mouth, we drop the pill in to the back of the throat. Hold the mouth closed for a moment and she has no choice but to swallow.

But, you might ask your vet if it's okay to crush the pill up in water. Then take a eye dropper and squirt whatever you can down her throat. That has also worked for us.

Check out this link: http://video.about.com/vetmedicine/Give-a-Cat-a-Pill.htm The video contains some great tips. Good luck!

Hello ........... So sorry for dropping off. I am going through a big move so my life has so many tasks and it's only me to take care of it all...

Nutmeg went in for her check up today. Her temp was great, no drainage from the drains they put in her area's where they did the surgery. They were taken out and the Doc helped me give her medicine to her. She started the foaming again but we got it in her and then put water in her mouth with a syringe. That was something I didn't have and do now. She seems to be doing better today. She is eating well but not taking any water. He told me that they hydrated her pretty well but if by tomorrow she doesn't start drinking water to bring her back. She does not like going to the Doc's office. She is still having pain in her leg and he said it would take about 5 days total for her leg to start feeling better.

She is pretty smart when it comes to the pills. I will try the piller again tonight and if that doesn't work I will try the cream cheese. Nutmeg is on the prescription dry food KD so I got all that covered. Again I am sorry for not updating. Today has been super stressful packing my office up. I am starting a new life and so many things have to go.. xoxo

I just watched the video. My cats mouth won't even open :) thanks for all the tips.. Teresa & Nutmeg

DEAR NUTMEGSMOM: Sorry its been a little while,I am still trying to cope with DIESELS loss.But for the good news I know DIESEL is looking down on NUTMEG to make sure everything is going right.I think DIESEL has become the guardian angel from RAINBOW BRIDGE for IMOM for the love they showed for him & the love he showed for them.The only way DIESEL would take his pills I would have to put them in a small piece of chicken or wrap it up in a small piece of turkey breast.He would smell the pill pockets and just walk away.If no other way put the pill as far back as you can in his mouth & blow gently in his nose (thats what they do at times in the emergency clinic)..Happy or sad just look up & call DIESELS name he is there to listen & miracles will happen.

LOVE DIESELS DADDY & DIESEL

I AM SURE NUTMEG IS GETTING SOME PUG HUGS RIGHT NOW

PLUS YOU HAVE IMOM BEHIND YOU (MIRACLE WORKERS)

She is pretty smart when it comes to the pills. I will try the piller again tonight and if that doesn't work I will try the cream cheese. Nutmeg is on the prescription dry food KD so I got all that covered. Again I am sorry for not updating. Today has been super stressful packing my office up. I am starting a new life and so many things have to go.. xoxo

Hi Teresa,

I SO know what you mean. Kitties have some STRONG jaws and it can be MUCH more difficult than pilling a pupper in so many ways.

I didn't suggest "Burrito Kitty" (with puter probs) and wasn't sure you could with her drains and such a large incision.

[i don't know why, but I am still having a bad time trying to type this post]

I know you are having a time of it - what with everything you have going on. Please

know I am sending LOTS of love, positive thoughts and prayers to you both. :heart:

And I hope she starts drinking water SOON !!! Keep lots around --- different places - I know the move and new life is stressful on you both (and Nutmeg's surgery and time at the vet's takes a while for her to settle down from),

Hoping the whipped cream cheese works. *fingers and toes crossed*

With love and BIG HUGS,

Donna and 'The Big Beautiful Angel, Bandit'

:felineicon:

:pawprint:

:rose:

Nutmeg's Mom posted this about an hour ago on her introduction in the introduction section of the forum, and I wanted to copy it over here, I thought everyone would want to know and may have some suggestions for her. I'm so sorry about this, and I'm keeping Nutmeg and her Mom in my heart.

"Hello,

I am reaching out because Nutmeg's cancer has spread to her lungs in the doctors opinion. She is not breathing well. I can't afford an X-ray and I don't think there is anything else I can do. At this point I am trying to figure out what the best way to let her go when the time comes is. She is not eating regularly and it is just a matter of time. I don't want to put her down however I do not want her to suffer. I would like to let her go naturally but think she would need something to relax her and not feel the pain. I am looking for ANY suggestions. Thank you,

Teresa NutmegsMom"

Jamie.K

Edited by Jamie K. - IMOM