Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Jamie IMOM

Paris Skeesick

30 posts in this topic

Late last night, IMOM received an urgent request for a 9 year old Chihuahua named Paris with pyometra. Because of the generosity of our donors, IMOM was able to pledge $600 this morning to get Paris into surgery. This is what Paris's mom has to say about her:

Paris is my angel chihuahua who has been my best little friend for the past 9 years. She has the most amazing personality and can bring a smile to my face at any moment. She is the best dog i could ever ask or hope for and she is irreplaceable...Thank you for your help.

Paris's mom has not been able to send a picture of her yet, but we will try to see if we can get one soon.

If we did not have the funds available, Paris likely would not have made it long enough for us to raise funds for her.

As you know, we have had several pets lately that could not wait for funds to be raised for them. Because of those of you who donate to the general fund, we have been able to save them.

Please consider making a donation to our general fund so we can help more pets like Paris. Thank you, Angels!

I am Paris's mom and I want to tell everyone in the IMOM community how very grateful that I am for your generosity, love, dedication, and committment to pets in need.

Without compassionate animal lovers such as yourselves, I would not have been able to get my angel where she is now - awaiting surgery at an emergency animal hospital.

Thank you so very, very much from the bottom of my heart - words cannot express my gratitude and appreciation.

Here is Paris today at the animal hospital:

post-12860-0-02763800-1356729004_thumb.j

Here is Paris's story:

My 9 yr old chihuahua Paris was diagnosed late yesterday (Thursday) with pyometra. I brought her into the vet late on Wednesday, but we thought she had just gone into heat. My vet called me yesterday and insisted I bring her in to be looked at again. He was worried she may have pyometra, and I recalled her being in heat only a short 6 weeks ago. Unfortunately, my worst fear was realized as she was quickly diagnosed with the dreaded pyometra.

I cannot afford my veterninarian's exhorbitant fees for this type of surgery. A pyometra "emergency spay" can cost 10x or more of the regular cost of a spay with no illness or complications. He quoted me thousands of dollars. I started to panic. I returned home - it was already 5pm - to call every vet I could.

I called a vet and the phone was answered by an extremely nice woman who explained Care Credit and IMOM to me. She calmed me down and told me exactly what I needed to do to help myself. Thank heavens I spoke to her and she led me in the direction she did - this is how I learned about IMOM. She said they did not have a surgeon on duty until Saturday, and that would be too late, so she referred me to an emergency animal hospital that has surgeons on staff 24 hrs/day and accepts IMOM. I went on the IMOM website, printed out the necessary forms, and sped to the animal hospital to get my dog assessed and the forms filled out by the veterinarian.

I then emailed all my info and waited and prayed for a reply. A very nice volunteer named Tammy emailed me last night. Thank you. I sat in the waiting room of the animal hospital all night with Paris. I have not slept at all in 2 days. I just kept praying that this would work out and she could receive the help she needed. This morning another very nice volunteer named Jamie emailed me. Thank you. Without these 2 wonderful ladies and the amazing IMOM community, I would not be where I am at this moment, momentarily at home writing this post and awaiting my dog to have surgery. Thank you from the bottom of my heart IMOM community.

Here is Paris just before I left the hospital when she got her IV:

post-12860-0-05922200-1356730815_thumb.j

I am awaiting the call to see exactly when they are doing her surgery. As soon as they are finished, and she is awake, I will be at the hospital to visit her and let her know I am there so she is not scared - this is the first time she has ever been sick, ever had surgery, and ever been left at any vet's office without me. She will need to stay for at least 24 hrs afer the surgery as well.

Please send your wishes Paris's way for a safe and successfull surgery, and a speedy recovery once her surgery is complete.

I will update later

Thank you everyone -

Paris's Momma

Good News!

I just received a call from the veterinarian, and Paris's surgery is complete.

She is awake and resting comfortably. He said the surgery went as well as can be expected.

I am extremely relieved and we will be heading to the hospital shortly as soon as she has a little bit of time to rest.

Again, thank you IMOM community for helping to make this life saving surgery possible.

Paris's Momma

Great news! So glad to hear that Paris is going to be okay. I bet you can't wait until she is home and recovering. :)

Judy G.

I'm so happy that Paris received the surgery she needed. I bet you are relieved and exhausted. Now, get that little girl home so she can ring in the new year with you.

My Chis send Paris a big group howl to celebrate her health and the new year.

Dawn

Good Morning IMOM -

Went to visit Paris last night at 10pm - she had surgery at 6pm - she was awake, alert, and jumped right up in her little cage to see me - she was so excited to see her family...she just wanted to crawl up on us and be held. We all held her and stayed for about an hour.

Even though happy to see us, you could tell she was not feeling well and she was wimpering because of the pain =[ She has quite a scar on her little tummy...we are kidding and saying she got a little tummy tuck because her belly is now flat (no more yucky pyometra infection inside)

Here is my little angel:

post-12860-0-58713100-1356797321_thumb.j

post-12860-0-34750400-1356797786_thumb.j

I just called and the animal hospital says she is doing great and will be able to go home later today! She just needs to eat food first. They tried to give her food but she will not eat, so I am now going to cook her some food and bring it to her in the hopes she will take it.

I am so relieved and grateful and thankful today...words cannot express my appreciation to all who have helped to save my beloved and irreplaceable Paris

Headed to the hospital now...

Hello IMOM and happy Sunday to all

We went to visit Paris yesterday and she was so happy to see us!

The staff at the animal hospital was so very nice, friendly, and helpful - they said that she was doing great - but needed to eat

We brought her food and she ate some just at the right time in front of the vet so that she would be able to go home later in the day...

We left so she could rest and stayed close to the hospital so as soon as she was ready we could go get her - we had to wait another 8 hrs until she was stable enough to be picked up

Here she is getting ready to get in the car to come home!

post-12860-0-79297100-1356898781_thumb.j

We were so relieved to be bringing her home last night, and again, so thankful that she was able to receive her life saving surgery thanks to all of you and the wonderful staff at the animal hospital

Thank you all again

Edited by paris's momma

Hello all...

Paris is home and has perked up a little this evening. She is beginning to act like her usual self which is so nice to see. She is still not feeling well though and has been sleeping most of the day which I am sure is normal under the circumstances.

Here she is resting on the couch this evening with one of her best friends "Simba":

post-12860-0-30862700-1356923672_thumb.j

I just gave her the 2 antibiotics and her pain medicine as well. She did not like it at all and it was quite difficult for me to get her to take them. This morning I gave them to her in salami, but tonight she did not go for it.

Does anyone else have any suggestions on an easier way to give meds to a chihuahua?

I would appreciate any and all advice

Thank you IMOM community

I used to use Braunschweiger for my pembi, personally I think the stuff smells disgusting but being a dog he thought it was delicious. I would try that first as it should work. Cheese has a tendency to crumble off when they bite it, especially with a small dog, so that probably won't do. It's softer than traditional liverwurst so you can smash it around the pill, then the pill is really in there.

If she really gives you hell and the Braunschweiger trick doesn't work then I'd roll the pills in a little butter (no fake butter!) and just shove them in the back of her mouth and hold it shut. You'll have to do it one at a time that way but it worked for me with more than one cat and insures a tablet won't scratch on the way down. (assuming you're right handed) Get your pills all rolled in butter, grab from the back of her head with your left hand with your thumb and forefinger on her TMJs then wiggle your thumb until there's enough downward pressure to hold her mouth open and then you can almost put the pills right down her throat. It may sound a little mean but she needs to take them and you're rolling them in butter so they aren't all scratchy.

Let me know how it goes and if either of those made it easier for you. ;)

Edited by Jareth

I've heard cream cheese works well, too. Sometimes there is no easy answer. My little dog had to take a ton of pills for several weeks after his surgery for his fractured leg, and everything I tried only worked once...deli turkey, cheese, cream cheese, etc. He would take it the first time and after that he was on to me. :)

So glad to hear Paris is doing well and feeling better. Usually they get a little bit better every day and then suddenly they are back to normal.

Judy G.

Edited by Judy G

Your vet or pet store might have something called a "pill pocket". It's a treat that has a place to slip a pill into and the dog or cat just thinks you're giving them a treat. I don't think they are real expensive, but I've never used them with my cats, but I know my vet recommends thems.

Sheila

Happy New Year!

Thank you so much Jareth, Judyn & Sheila for your helpful suggestions...I will try them all

I did try the braunschweiger last night - she did not like it - so a no go - ended up crushing pills and adding a little vanilla ensure - putting in baby dropper to give her - it was messy. she did not like it. spit some out. tried to get as much down as possible.

Have tried the down the throat thing - she inevitably works the pills out the side of her mouth. I tilt her little head back and try to encourage her to swallow - but she won't and as soon as her head is down, spits pill out. I just tried to keep her little mouth closed long enough for them to dissolve, which is worse I'm sure than swallowing because she has to taste them =[

Tried the butter trick this morning - no luck. She licked the butter (which she loved!) and again, spit pills out. I kept putting them back in and held until they dissolved. Then about 10 min later, threw up everywhere, so I am not sure how much medicine she actually got.

She is very smart! Knows when the pills are coming! Resists to any length possible!

She is on tramadol (ultram), amoxicillin, and baytril. The first two are small, but baytril is huge for her and I have to break it in 4 so actually have to give her 6 "pills"

I don't know what to do =[

I feel horrible and don't want to upset her, but I know for her I must give her the medicine however I can.

Called vet at 5am this morning because her incision looked a bit swollen last night and then, they said to bring her in again. I checked it later this morning after she had slept several hours, and it did not look swollen. Perhaps it swells a little when she is active during the day? Also, we saw her scratching with her back leg, and think she may have hit the incision site possibly?

So it is back to the emergency animal hospital again today - to both have them look at the incision, and hopefully, for them to change antibiotics and pain med to some other form - like liquid - that is easier to give.

Will update later -

Thanks again IMOM commnity

They should be able to suspend all of the medication in liquid and then you could use an oral syringe but it will all taste pretty awful and might make her throw up from it. Usually butter works, you just have to make sure it's all the way in the back of her throat, almost going down her throat or give it a shove into her throat. But yes I would also try the sneaky ways of hiding it in food as suggested; hopefully being such a small dog she doesn't manage to chew it up enough to realize it has a pill in it and spit it out.

The tramadol is not essential (she could live without it if she throws it up) but the baytril and amoxicillin are something she NEEDS to get down every time to fight off that infection. Maybe they can suspend them in liquid then you can give them to her then give her something she likes to wash the taste out of her mouth real fast; I'm not postive about the baytril though so it's a question for your vet.

Toy dogs can be very difficult to pill because you can't always get your fingers deep enough into their mouth to push the pill over the back of the tongue. And that's the key to getting a dog to swallow.

There is a device called a "pet piller with a flexible tip" that works for many dogs (and cats). It's about 7" long, a slender syringe-like device with a plunger on one end and a soft rubber tip with a slit in it, on the other end. You insert the pill into the slit and slide the device all the way to the back of the mouth, then depress the plunger, which releases the pill over the back of the tongue, and your dog will automatically swallow. (Most dogs, anyway. There are always some who resist just about everything.)

For me, the soft flexible rubber tip is a must. I've tried pillers with inflexible plastic tips and didn't like them.

The flexible tip pillers are available from amazon, and a friend bought hers from the banfield animal hosp. inside petsmart. They only cost a few dollars.

Edited by Michele W

Good Morning IMOM

Thank you again for the helpful suggestions...

My baby apparently hates taking pills, and she knows when they are on their way - no matter what i do.

Unfortunately, the vet wouldn't give me any of the medicine in liquid form. He said my only option is to get it in her or pay $70 for a 10 day long-acting antibiotic shot. I am just going to keep trying to give her the meds myself.

Jareth: I did try the butter, but unfornately, it just doesn't work for my dog - she is on to me! She licks the butter off, which she loves and then spits the pill out after. I did try all your suggestions, and they were all great!

Michele: I did get the "pill popper" you are talking about yesterday when i returned to the vet. I think this may be the best and easiest method. Thank you for your great description and help.

Took Paris back to the vet yesterday to get re-checked. He said her incision is healing well and that it looks "perfectly normal". This is good to hear. I was more than a little concerned, because to me, it looks raised and swollen at parts, and at the bottom, fluid filled on the sides. He said it is fine though, so hopefully it is. I asked if I could put a little triple antibiotic on the wound and he said I could. I did last night, and this morning when she got up, it did look better. So I will continue that today.

Before we went to vet yesterday and I had given meds, she threw them all up. Vet made me give her meds in office again with pill popper. It was bad. She was extremely upset and was biting me, something she has not done before. I understand though and just kept trying until I was able to do it. That time she was able to keep meds down.

This morning I gave them with the pill popper and I held her, put it in side of her mouth quickly, and put it in back of her throat, raised her head and massaged her throat to help her swallow. Worked really well, and it was the best time yet, feel I have finally found the way to give these to her.

Gave her ice cream afterwards as a reward and to help soothe her throat a little =]

Thanks again for all of your helpful suggestions and caring words - I truly appreciate you all...

Happy New Year!

XO - Paris

post-12860-0-08517200-1357145802_thumb.j

hi IMOM

Paris is feeling a bit better today

I gave her the meds with the pill popper this morning and it went fairly well...seems to be getting easier every time

Hopefully she will feel even better tomorrow!

Soon you will be advising others on the best way to give pills! I wish I had known about the pill popper with my dog...Most of my others (and my cat who is on daily meds) like the pill pockets-and I even have one dog who eats pills like candy-but I have that one dog who is difficult.

I think Paris will feel a little bit better every day. She looks great! She is a little senior, of course, so we seniors don't bounce back as quick as we did when we were younger. :)

Thanks for the updates.

Judy G.

You certainly will be the resident expert on giving pills to pets by the time Paris is all better! So glad you were able to give her, her meds! So happy she's healing nicely and will be back to her former self before you know it! I love her New Year's picture, she's quite the party girl!

Take care,

Sheila :catonchair

One thing about these pillers, everyone.....always follow up with a spoonful of soft food (or if your pet isn't yet eating food, use a syringe full of water or broth), which will help wash the pill down quickly and also coat the esophagus as the pill goes down.

Otherwise the pill can linger in the esophagus, which is an uncomfortable feeling (we've all experienced the feeling of something that won't quite go down). A naked pill can also scratch the esophagus, causing inflammation.

You and I don't dry-swallow pills -- we take them with food and/or liquid -- and so should dogs and cats.

So if your pet won't take a pill wrapped in a protective coating like cream cheese or whatnot.....if instead you need to push the pill down their throat with your fingers or with a manual piller, always follow up with a spoonful of soft food (my dogs like yogurt or ice cream) or a syringe full of water. It makes the pilling experience safer and more comfortable for your pet.

(And if you can the pillers with the flexible rubber tips, I find them the easiest to use.)

good afternoon IMOM

thank you for the nice comments Judy G and Sheila - much appreciated

i'm no expert - just trying to share my experience in the hope of helping others... =]

my little angel baby Paris is doing better every day...

it has been 9 days since she had surgery...vet said to bring her to get stitches out in 10-14 days - but to me they look like they are growing into her skin - put some triple antibiotic ointment on the wound today to try to soften it up a little - looks to me like she needs to get them out sooner rather than later...

any thoughts anyone?

thanks again for your invaluable advice and kind words - i appreciate all that you have done for me and for paris!

=]

Hi IMOM

and hi Judy G!

thank you for your concern for baby Paris!

i actually took her in this afternoon to get her stitches removed, but the doctor said the wound is not ready. he said they use a continuous stitch, so if you remove one stitch, they all come out. they have to be certain the skin is completely healed together. he said on the ends, it's not. i have to take her back friday night again - 2 more days he said

here's what her tummy tuck looks like now:

post-12860-0-04293600-1357783065_thumb.j

and here is Paris in the car today on the way to the vet:

post-12860-0-40677900-1357783171_thumb.j

i love my little angel SO much - i cannot wait until she is 100% better and getting back to herself again soon...

a couple days ago she was very playful and was running around here fetching her little bouncy balls and playing with her favorite toys. she was acting like a 2 yr old - it was so great to see her feeling good and playing like that!

but yesterday i noticed she slept alot and didn't want to really eat. today she has been sleeping more too it seems. and not that interested in eating.

maybe she wore herself out from all that playing?

i asked the vet about this and he said when he looked at her she seemed alert and responsive. so i will try not to worry for the next 2 days until friday

I bet she did think she was all better and it was a little too much activity just yet-but it's a good sign that she felt OK enough to run around. :)

Her incision does look really nice, and it probably is better to let it heal more before taking out the stitches. It won't be that many more days.

Her little dress is just so cute on her. She is adorable. My sister has 2 chis at the moment, so I have special feelings for the little pups.

:pp_animal_564:

Keep up the good work, Paris and Mom!

Judy G