Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Jacki IMOM

After IMOM's Help

20 posts in this topic

Your pet has been helped by IMOM. Now what?

People with pets in crisis come to IMOM for help. We are happy to have been able to help your pet, with donations from our kind and generous supporters.

As you know from reading our financial aid policies, IMOM is only able to help one pet per family, one time. Your pet may need future care, or you may have other pets that could need care. What should you do? The answer is, to plan for emergencies before they happen.

We find that many people who apply for help, have some spending they can cut back on. Now is the time to cut back, and save for the future. Restaurants, even fast food places, can be expensive. So can the cup of coffee at an expensive coffee shop. Take a look at your monthly spending, you may see many ways that you can save a few dollars here, and a few dollars there. And those dollars add up.

Save your loose change. A big jar of change can add up to several hundred dollars.

Boost your credit worthiness. Consider getting a credit card that is used for pet emergencies only. You may need to start with a small limit, that can be raised as your credit worthiness improves.

Consider pet insurance. Be sure to read the fine print. Not all pet insurance policies are created equal, and not all are right for all pets and their owners.

Develop a good, working relationship with your regular vet. Would your vet be willing to extend you credit in a time of need? If not, it may be time to interview other vets who will work with their clients on payment options.

Some emergencies are accidental or unforeseeable. Others are preventable and the result of improper pet care. Be sure to do your homework. And talk with your vet about the appropriate care, diet, health maintenance, etc., your pet should be getting.

Plan for your pet’s future needs, before a time of crisis. Tell your friends, family, and coworkers to do the same for their pets. Here at IMOM, we know how stressful it is to have a sick pet. The ability to provide for your pet can help lessen that stress.

We are glad we were able to help, in your time of need. And we wish you many happy and healthy years with your pet.

Warm Regards,

The IMOM Volunteers

Wonderful and timely advice! Also, what would happen to your pet companion if something happened to you? Besides making arrangements in your Will for your pet, be sure you have someone who would take your pet in case you become incapacited in the short term and in the event you should pass away. Too many pets are left without their caregivers when there is a death and have no where to you. Thank you.

Jacki,

such a wonderful place with such amzing people! thank you from the bottom of my heart for being here and starting this fabulous site..... this community is like no other and it is comforting to have such people looking out for each other! I cannot wait until the day i am able to pay it forward to a pet in need..until then i remain an active cheerleader to help as many people as i can by listening!!!

thank you again for what you have done for my family...i will never ever forget it ! i hope you know how greatly appreciated you are...and i hope everyone knows how much work goes into being a volunteer......and welcome to all the new trainees!!

forever grateful, maryann and girls

THIS IS AN AMAIZING PLACE FULL OF WONDERFUL HELPING PEOPLE , WE NEED MANY MORE PEOPLE LIKE THIS IN THE WORLD . AND THIS IS GREAT ADVICE THANK YOU

A very nice person posted a reply on my own blog here and her signature had a link to a site called "GoodSearch". If you register (just your name and email address), every search earns a penny for the charity of your choice. IMOM is there and has received $857.02 to date through this site. It doesn't seem like a lot, but every little bit helps! :)

http://www.goodsearch.com/ for IMOM ~ Earn a penny for IMOM with every search!

Also check out the Shopping function from GoodSearch

Thank you, Lisa!

This is such a wonderful organization for those in need. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for helpng all those precious animals so far <3

HI!

I just wanted to check in and let you know how things have been since Flex's passing 3 weeks ago today :(

Everyday does get easier but the pain is still fresh and will be for awhile. We are most definitely dog people and with an empty house, it made the lose of Flex that much harder so.... After much searching, We have added a new member to our family. We adopted a rescue dog from the Miami area that was set to be euthanized because of his breed. His name is Apollo and he is about a year and a half. We decided to adopt because wonderful people like you helped us in our time of need. We felt it was only right to find a companion who we could help. Its still tough without Flex, but... Apollo deserves all the love we have. Thank you all again for everything! Samantha

post-12351-0-47604300-1356148327_thumb.j

Edited by Flex's Mama

I remember Flex's passing and how sudden and unexpected it was for you.

I think adopting a new dog is a wonderful way to honor Flex's memory. Although I have deeply loved all my dogs (and cats) and grieved at losing them, I have always felt a little better when I gave another homeless animal a home. I read this several months ago:

A Dog's Last Will and Testament

(Author unknown)

Before humans die, they write their last Will & Testament, and give their home and all they have to those they leave behind. If, with my paws, I could do the same, this is what I'd ask....

To a poor and lonely stray I'd give:

My happy home.

My bowl, cozy bed, soft pillows and all my toys.

The lap which I loved so much.

The hand that stroked my fur and the sweet voice which spoke my name.

I'd will to the sad scared shelter dog the place I had in my human's heart, of which there seemed no bounds.

So when I die please do not say, "I will never have a pet again, for the loss and pain is more than I can stand." Instead go find an unloved dog; one whose life has held no joy or hope and give MY place to him.

This is the only thing I can give...the love I left behind.

:animcnda_lg:

I believe Flex and the love you had for him brought you to Apollo. Congratulations on your handsome new boy, and I am sure Flex is smiling down at you all.

And thank you for choosing a rescue dog.

Judy G.

Yes that made me cry to. I'm in a hard place with Petals. It is quite hard to make sense of sudden illness or even why dogs have such a short life span. I wish my Petals could be with me forever. I am thankful for when her time is here I still have her puppies to take care of that are so much like her. Sorry to hear of your loss. Best wishes!

OMG! "A Dog's Last Will & Testament"..... such a tear-jerker & filled w/ wisdom. I can hear pets making such a loving request!!! I'm too old to ever take another pet again if I outlive Sebastian but it's such so heart wrenching true. To Flex's Mama it's been months since you posted, but if you read this, I'm so thankful you saved Apollo & I'm sure Flex would be proud of you. From the picture, Apollo looks like a Pitbull or Pitbull mix.Thank you for saving him & giving him a loving home. They have such an undeserved reputation & suffer greatly for it, as you know. I've had a Pit & know someone who has rehabilitated one. They're remarkably resilient animals-very loving & definitely deserving of a chance! To Mille 151, my prayer is that your beloved Petals is still w/ you. And to all who have rescued an animal, my heartfelt THANX!!!

Edited by VC Blackwell

This is excellent advice. I have always tried to be proactive in being ready for an emergency. Unfortunately, sometimes everything hits at once and that is how the last few years have been. But it is wonderful to know that there are people out there like you who try to help in those desperate times when there is no where else to turn. My roommate and I would love to be able to start a program like IMOM someday. There are too many animals in need one way or another. Thank you for all that you do.

:pp_animal_568: MANDY HAD HER SURGERY!!! She is doing well, eating, drinking water, doing outside things, and appears to be content and pain-free. I will have to get a pic up on-line so that you can see her big bandage. Thank you IMOM for all your support, help, both financial and otherwise. She would still be suffering if it had not been for you. I am glad that there was that hope for her. We both THANK YOU!!!

SHARON & MANDY

Hi all,

Mandy had a quiet night & thank God, no blood! She seems a little down. I don't want to take her out for a walk quite yet, especially after seeing those blood drops. I am so thankful that see is OK during & after the surgery. I can't wait until September 4th when she goes to the Vet for a check-up. It's kind of hard not knowing what is under the bandage, but yet, I don't want to take it off (the Vet said) until that check-up. She looks a little swollen. I wish it wasn't so muggy outside, but they said that the air is better for her.

I'll keep you posted. :pp_animal_568:

I have a 5 Months Old GSD named "Maggie". She is so cute & very talented without even training. Me & my Family were planning to arrange a Trainer for her. She became so friendly with us that by now she is just like a family member to us. She would do whatever you ask for. My dad maintains cleanliness a lot, so he always opposed to allow us to keep a dog inside house even though he loves animals. But on the 2nd day of Maggie's arrival in our house, dad started playing with her & she was allowed to sleep with my elder Brother on his bed & Dad never opposed it but he laughed at it. It was all so surprising yet very loving moment. She would lick me of affection whenever she's scared (especially @ the Vet. Hospital) & I will kiss her back. Dad will love to see that & laugh at it. He would always bring her balls to play. We together will make her bath & clean her. Even the compounder & doctors at the hospital used to comment "She doesn't look like your first pet, you must have a good experience on keeping GSDs before, cause she is so beautiful with her perfectly shinning Fur & also perfectly healthy". I would feel proud on that as "Maggie" is my first Dog as a pet. All of a sudden I found her sitting & sleeping in odd & unusual postures. Then my mom noticed her walking strangely on her left leg. When we went to the Doc. The Doc first didn't accept my advice on scanning her leg by telling me "why are you so scared, she is fine, her leg is fine" but after her problem got increased he suggested me to do scanning in a Vet. Hospital Cum Institute. The doc there did scanning & told us that she has been suffering with Major Hip Dysplacia. & that it cannot be cured anywhere in India. As a first timer I never heard such disease before. Me & my family was completely broken up in sadness.

After searching on the Internet my elder Brother found out a Doc in Chennai who Does such surgery. But we won't be able to afford it, & the doctor says, if surgery is not done within few days, she may become completely disabled throughout her life if it grows a little further. Right now she cannot walk properly. Me & my family cannot resist seeing her in such pain right now.

Please help me achieve this only chance to save her future and please help me to arrange some "Financial Aid" as fast as you can, for which me & my family will always be Thankful to you. And please suggest me a Place in India where I can do this kind of surgery. I guess there's a Vet. Doc. Suvramanyam in Chennai who did many such operations. Please Guide me.

Me & my family has been a Wildlife Lover. My elder Brother has been a Wildlife Chief Warden & the best Knowledgeable person on Birds in our state's Wildlife Dept. Our family has always been dedicated to Wildlife & Nature. My Elder Brother has made a lot of contribution to the Wildlife society here. The Doc. who did scanning on my Maggie, happened to be the Doc. who once did surgery on a bird that I rescued after been shot by a poacher. It was a Rare species Schedule-1 Bird, for which my name along with the bird has been stored in there official Records & they have been using those scanning reports & records to educate the Vet. students in the Institute. The Doc. recognized me & showed me the records.

But right now I feel very helpless for my own pet. Please help me & my family to cure my GSD & save her life. I just now came to know about this Forum on Google search. I'll surely be here always for my interest on Animals & pets & help others here at times, as I seek help right now. This Forum is surely very Important & must be kept Alive.

Thanking everybody on this Forum & specially the Admin & the Team for their splendid work. Hats Off for this great cause.

Please Help me save my dearest DOG "MAGGIE" (Right now she has been laying by my side as I'am typing this post)

God Bless You All... & Please Please Please Help me if you can.

My E-mail ID: izazchand@gmail.com