Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Tammy L.

Cookie Knight is at the Bridge :(

604 posts in this topic

That's the other Judy-the First Judy. :) She was here long before me.

Metronidazole is Flagyl, an antibiotic. Taylor is just gorgeous (I am partial to black cats, though none of my current 3 are black), and so is Cookie. Cookie sure looks like he is enjoying hanging out on the porch.

Judy G.

Edited by Judy G

Oh, I'm so sorry Judy! I did notice that you have a G. after your name, but I thought maybe the other Judy had just added that, and I didn't look at your info. Ooops.

:)

Oh, Metronidazole is an antibiotic? I'm sure they must have told me that, but I forgot. Thank you for telling me. I wasn't sure what it was.

I'm partial to black cats, too. I had another black kitty named Bunny, who I got in 1985, but I lost him to stomach cancer in 2000. He did have a little patch of white on his chest, but otherwise, he was solid black. Taylor IS gorgeous, and Cookie, too!

:) Taylor's the sweetest thing, too. Cookie has 7 toes on each of his front paws, and sometimes he puts his head on his paws, and they look like little pillows. lol

Cookie LOVES the back porch. I'm not too crazy about this house I'm renting, but one good thing is that it has a screened-in back porch and since all of my kitties are strictly indoors, it's really great that they have the opportunity to go out on the porch. Most of them love it. Cookie would LIVE out there if I would let him. lol

Jamie

Just checking in. Not much to report. Cookie's still doing fine. And, Taylor is too. :) 13 more hours, and I can take Cookie in for his surgery. Yay! :)

Here are some photos of Cookie snoozing away, and there's one with Taylor in it, too. :)

post-9302-0-67157000-1338244611_thumb.jp

post-9302-0-21346200-1338244636_thumb.jp

post-9302-0-19392500-1338244666_thumb.jp

post-9302-0-71018700-1338244729_thumb.jp

post-9302-0-27424300-1338244753_thumb.jp

Hope everyone is enjoying their long weekend. :)

Jamie

I'm back and I see you've been BUSY posting and the photos are GREAT!!!

Now...tomorrow is the BIG DAY and all is going to only get better from here on out...YAY RAH.....positive thoughts and prayers to you and Cookie TOMORROW...

Plus, Taylor looks GOOD...so happy for that...Judy

PS - I have a great week end...

Hi Judy!

Yep, I just wanted to keep you guys updated on Cookie. :) And, I love taking pictures of the kitties. :)

Yes, tomorrow is the big day! I'm taking him in in about 6 and a half hours. :) I keep freaking out a little bit about the fact that they're removing his EYE, though. But, then I just try to remind myself that he'll feel so much better, and I also know he'll adjust pretty quickly.

Thank you for the positive thoughts and prayers and also your comments about Taylor. He's still doing great, thankfully.

Don't know what time they'll actually do the surgery on Cookie tomorrow, but I'll definitely post as soon as I know something. I'm really thankful that it's so close, because to be honest, over the last few hours, he doesn't seem to be feeling all that well. He's tense and not sleeping well. So, it's a good thing surgery is almost here.

I'm really glad you had a great weekend. You sure deserve it!!! Will update you guys as I get updates.

Jamie

I'll be thinking about you and Cookie today. Positive thoughts for a smooth surgery and uneventful recovery and no more painful eye for Cookie. :)

I'll check back often for updates.

Thanks!

Judy G. (the other Judy) ;)

Okay, so I just got back from dropping Cookie off at the vet. They're doing the surgery at 11:00, just an hour away. :) I'll be so glad when Cookie can start feeling better.

Thank you so much, again, to IMOM and supporters. This is only possible because of you.

Jamie

I'm happy to report that I talked to a tech at the vet's office a little bit ago and Cookie's out of surgery and doing just fine. :) Whew! He's still pretty groggy from some heavy-duty pain meds and the anesthesia, but the tech said he's feeling MUCH MUCH better, because his eye was in really bad shape. I'm so thankful. AND, I'm so glad surgery is over with.

They told me this morning when I took him that they would have to keep Cookie overnight, so I'm thinking I'll be able to bring him home tomorrow. Seems to me like they would keep him longer, but they just said overnight.

I can't thank IMOM and supporters enough for this. Without you all, Cookie would still be miserable and have to be put to sleep. I don't even have words to express my gratitude.

Jamie

Edited by Cookie'sMom

Hi "Other Judy" lol. I just realized I didn't respond to your post. Sorry about that; somehow I missed that.

Thank you for your positive thoughts; they apparently worked. :) Cookie's surgery went well, and he's doing just fine. And, feeling much better!!!! Woo hoo!

I really appreciate all your support. Hope you're having a great day!!

Jamie

Overnight seems reasonable; many times they send them home the same day. So glad the surgery was a success and Cookie will be home tomorrow and feeling good!

Now he needs a little eye patch. ;) I have a 3-legged dog who is 12 now, and I always threaten to dress him up as a pirate for Halloween. :)

Judy G.

Oh, okay, good. They kept Taylor for 4 or 5 days after HIS surgery, so I was thinking it should be longer. I guess since it's a different kind of surgery, overnight is okay. Thanks for letting me know that. :)

Yeah, I'll definitely have to get him an eye patch! lol I'd love to see your dog dressed up as a pirate, too! :) Guess we can dress them both up and take them out trick-or-treating in October!! lol

Hopefully, Cookie's recovery will go smoothly. Dr. LePardo is supposed to be a really good surgeon, so I don't expect any complications. :)

SO thankful surgery is over and he's feeling better. Thank you, thank you IMOM!!!

Jamie

Dr. LaPardo, the vet who did Cookie's surgery, called me late this afternoon to touch base and let me know how Cookie is doing. He's still doing fine. :) She said the surgery went well and that I can bring Cookie home tomorrow. :)

I noticed 3 or 4 weeks ago that Cookie had a small bump appear on his ear, and I asked them to take a look at it. This afternoon, Dr. LaPardo told me that she removed it during Cookie's surgery today, and she told me that it didn't look good, that it looked cancerous, but that she had completely removed it and had gotten it all. She said I just need to keep an eye on Cookie and do routine body checks to be sure no more little bumps appear. A little later on after we hung up, I wondered if we should send out what she removed for testing, and the woman I spoke with at the vet said she would ask Dr. LaPardo and call me back. She called me back and said that Dr. LaPardo said she wasn't sending it out for tests because it was over $100 for the tests. I don't have the $100 for the tests, but it kind of bothers me that she didn't check with me first before making that decision to see if I had a way to come up with the $100. But, I really can't be angry with her, because they have done SO much for Taylor and now for Cookie, and she did the surgery for free.

Most likely, I would have just told her not to send it out, because I can't afford it, but I feel like she should have asked me without just making that decision on her own. I can't *possibly* fuss at her for not including me in the decision, so I guess I just have to figure out a way to let it go. This is the second time she's made a decision like that without consulting me, though.

Now, I have to worry about whether or not the "bump" was cancer. Dang it.

Tell me honestly, am I being too sensitive? She didn't even give me a chance to see if I could raise the money. Maybe I'm just too protective of Cookie.

Thanks for reading this.

Jamie

Jamie, I am SO HAPPY that Cookie is out of surgery and doing WELL...

About the bump...you know, no matter what right now your vet, who has been exceptional feels that all is well...IF it was cancer it is still removed and the vet feels as if she got it all...that is GREAT NEWS...

Our first dog, Roxie had cancer, our vet felt even before the biopsy that it was so...even knowing it was and trying desperately to treat it, we couldn't save her.

I don't quite know what I'm trying to say...but...I'm happy that the lump was removed, the vet felt the removal was a success and we are going to pray that all is going to be well for you and Cookie...

I know that you weren't able to be a part of the decision, perhaps when you go to get Cookie you can discuss it nicely with the vet...ask if it's something you need to worry about since she didn't biopsy it, or is she pretty confident that she got all the lump? You'll be able to tell when you're talking face to face...

You know, everyone that loves their pet, always, always wonders, what if???

Thanks, Judy! Me, too! SO SO glad it went well! And, I can't WAIT to bring him home tomorrow!!

You're right; she HAS been exceptional and she did say she got it all. So, that's wonderful news.

I'm so sorry about Roxie. I know that was heart-breaking. At least, you know you did everything you could do. I know you hated to lose her. Poor baby.

I probably won't see her when I pick up Cookie. They usually just have one of their staff people check you out. But, I'll definitely ask the vet tech or whoever it is who checks Cookie out. I wish I *could* talk to her face to face, but it probably won't happen.

You're right, everybody always wonders "what if". I had to euthanize my cat Smoopy January of last year for kidney failure, and he was only 9 years old. My vet at the time said the only possible thing that could help Smoopy was to put him on IV fluids for 2 or 3 days, so I did that, and then I took him home, but it didn't help and he still wouldn't eat. I took him back in to my vet and asked him if I should try to force-feed Smoopy, and my vet said Smoopy would only throw up everything he ate, which is what Smoopy was doing BEFORE I tried the IV fluids. So, based on my vet's recommendation, I had Smoopy pts. NOW, I wonder if I should have at least TRIED to force feed him to see if he would get better. PLUS, that is the vet who misdiagnosed Taylor to begin with and recommended putting TAYLOR to sleep, which I didn't do, thank God, because Taylor didn't have kidney failure, which is what that vet said Taylor had. So, now I feel guilty for both not trying to force feed Smoopy AND for having him pts considering maybe he didn't have kidney failure, since the vet misdiagnosed Taylor. Maybe he misdiagnosed Smoopy, too. AND, a year before that, that same vet said my other cat Tabby had kidney failure and should be pts, which I did. But, Tabby had a history of kidney problems, and he was 16, so I don't feel so guilty about Tabby and am pretty sure the diagnosis was correct. But, maybe it wasn't. It was the same vet.

So, I have a lot of what-ifs right now.

But, I know what I need to focus on is that Dr. LaPardo and Dr. Johnson, who did Taylor's surgery 3 weeks ago, did an exceptional job, and they are the best vets I have found in Charlotte, and believe me, I've been to quite a few, trying to find a decent one. And, thanks to them, both Cookie and Taylor are gong to be fine. So, I'm trying to focus on that. I think I've just been too stressed out for too long over my cats, and I just need to take some deep breathes and breathe and relax.

And Dr. LaPardo did say she got it all on Cookie's ear, so I'm hopeful that it will be okay. Thank you so much for your prayers. I firmly believe prayers work. :)

Thanks to them and thanks to IMOM. :)

Jamie

Edited by Cookie'sMom

I had to think you sound just like we do about all of pets...you know why we sound like that...because we love them so much...but, know that you are not a lone in your thinking...

I still miss Roxie, and our Kayla and Cody and they've all been gone awhile now...in fact Kayla is still the photo for my screen saver and she's been gone for 7 yrs...Dale asks me every so often if I want another picture up and I say, no not yet...so I get to see her happy face every day when I turn the computer on...

Funny how those little creatures touch your heart.....

I guess that's normal, then, that I've been thinking that way. That makes me feel better. I'm glad to know I'm not alone. And, yes, it's definitely because we love them so much.

I'm sure you miss your babies. I still miss my kitty I lost to stomach cancer in 2000 like it was yesterday. His name was Bunny, and he had a heart problem. I had to give him Atenolol and baby aspirin every day, and I still have a couple of partial bottles of unused Atenolol, and I keep thinking I should throw them away, but I just can't do it. It's about the only thing I have left of him, except memories. So, I understand completely how you feel. I know you love to see Kayla's face every time you turn your computer on.

Yes, they definitely touch your heart. They get entangled in there and never come out. :) And, you never ever stop missing them.

Going to go pick Cookie up in about an hour! Woo Hoo!! :)

So happy to see Cookie is coming home. :)

I still miss my first cat, Murphy, and I lost him to cancer in 1997. I was just talking to my sister about him last night (and his little stuffed bird he had for years and would fetch when I threw it); and I have photos of him all over my house. We never forget.

Can't wait to hear how Cookie is doing and how happy she is to be home!

Judy G.

Cookie's home!! Woo hoo!! :) He's doing great. He got freaked out when they put him in the carrier at the vet to come home, and he freaked out when I put him in the crate, but he's starting to settle down a little now. He really hates the E-collar and the crate, but they said at the vet he has to be in the crate and have the collar on until his stitches come out, which will be in 10-14 days.

But, the good news is he's feel SO SO much better. I am so thankful!

Here's one picture of Cookie. I didn't want to bother him too much with the camera until his stress level decreases. I plan to put some towels on the top and sides of the crate, but I'm so behind in housework and laundry right now, I didn't have any clean, and I didn't know he had to be crated until I picked him up. Towels are in the dryer now, though. :)

post-9302-0-65232400-1338416279_thumb.jp

I'm so sorry to hear about Murphy. I know you miss him like crazy. I only have 3 or 4 pictures of my kitty, Bunny, because back then I didn't have a camera. Dang it. But, I DO have those few. I know having pictures of Murphy around the house is a huge comfort.

Anyhow...Cookie's home, and we're all just going to settle for a calm, quiet night. I'm just glad both of my babies are home and are okay. A huge thanks again to IMOM and you and all of IMOM's supporters.

Jamie

Cookie's still doing great! He's still eating and doing well. His surgery site looks really good, too. :)

I'm not sure what to do about his food, though. My vet told me that both Cookie AND Taylor have to eat Hills ID now, and they should have at least a can and a half a day, which is 3 cans a day. That's $4.50 a day plus tax. I paid $37.50 for a case several days ago and have been giving it to Taylor and now that both of them are eating it, I only have about 1 day left. Plus, I'm having to buy Friskies canned to give my other 3 cats, because it's cruel to give Cookie and Taylor Hills and not give the others canned. PLUS, Cookie's surgery bill was $30 over what the estimate stated, so I had to pay $40 yesterday ($30 plus my $10 commitment), and I'm pretty much out of money. I didn't have enough to make it to my next disability check to begin with. I have a fundraiser event I set up on Facebook, but it hasn't generated enough yet to pay for everything.

So, I'm kind of stressed out about what I'm going to do about feeding Cookie and the rest canned after tomorrow. I'm hoping some more stuff will sell on my Facebook Fundraiser page.

But, for now, Cookie's doing just fine. (And, so is Taylor.)

Yay! :)

so adorable and so glad he is at home with you! the e-collar (or cone of shame) will help him and he will realize it is for his own good.I know we feel bad when we have to do that or crate them, i kept telling my zoe girl that she wasnt bad, she just had to stay safe. neither one of my dogs were crated (only in potty training when they were both puppies and we were at work) so bringing the crate out when zoe had surgery was HARD but i laid next to her on the floor and held her paw...probably sounds crazy, but she knew i was there.rest is the best thing for BOTH of you.enjoy your evening and try to rest! will anticipate more good news in the morning!:stripekitty:try to contact your local shelters, sometimes they have food there or may know of where to go...also do not be afraid to ask your local pet store...ive had to do both in the past because it is very hard these days.especially if they are on special foods .hope that helps a little, sorry i cant do more!

Edited by dmmwilke

Hi!

Cookie's doing great! :) I am so thankful. :)

Sorry I haven't posted until now, but today I slept a lot. I've been totally exhausted the last 3 or 4 days. The crate isn't working out very well, so to be honest, I took Cookie out of it. I also took off the e-collar. All Cookie is doing is sleeping, and he doesn't leave my side, and since I'm on disability, I've been home and able to watch him constantly. Cookie doesn't even act like the surgery even phased him. lol And, he's not showing the slightest bit of interest in the stitches. So, as long as he continues like that, I'm just letting him stay out of the crate and collar. I do have to go out tomorrow for a few hours, so I'll put the collar back on him and put him in the crate when I'm gone. But, as long as he's staying right here on the sofa where I can keep an eye on him and sleeping, it should be okay.

I don't think it sounds crazy at all that you lay on the floor and held her paw. I would do the same thing if I could, but I have bad discs in my back and neck and some other medical problems, so I can't. But, fortunately, I don't have to with Cookie. Whew!

Thanks for all your tips about the cat food. I've actually gone that route before and called around, but there just aren't resources around here that I've found. I HAVEN'T checked with pet stores, though, so thanks for the suggestion. I have a fundraiser page on Facebook, and a little money has come in, so that's helping. Not enough yet, but enough came in that I'll be able to buy another case of Hills and some more canned to get through about another week. Whew! :)

Don't worry about not doing more. You've done PLENTY by posting and thinking of Cookie and giving me the tips on cat food. I really appreciate it. :)

Hope you have a great weekend, and take care.

Jamie

Edited by Cookie'sMom

Hi!

Cookie's doing great! :) I am so thankful. :)

Sorry I haven't posted until now, but today I slept a lot. I've been totally exhausted the last 3 or 4 days. The crate isn't working out very well, so to be honest, I took Cookie out of it. I also took off the e-collar. All Cookie is doing is sleeping, and he doesn't leave my side, and since I'm on disability, I've been home and able to watch him constantly. Cookie doesn't even act like the surgery even phased him. lol And, he's not showing the slightest bit of interest in the stitches. So, as long as he continues like that, I'm just letting him stay out of the crate and collar. I do have to go out tomorrow for a few hours, so I'll put the collar back on him and put him in the crate when I'm gone. But, as long as he's staying right here on the sofa where I can keep an eye on him and sleeping, it should be okay.

I don't think it sounds crazy at all that you lay on the floor and held her paw. I would do the same thing if I could, but I have bad discs in my back and neck and some other medical problems, so I can't. But, fortunately, I don't have to with Cookie. Whew!

Thanks for all your tips about the cat food. I've actually gone that route before and called around, but there just aren't resources around here that I've found. I HAVEN'T checked with pet stores, though, so thanks for the suggestion. I have a fundraiser page on Facebook, and a little money has come in, so that's helping. Not enough yet, but enough came in that I'll be able to buy another case of Hills and some more canned to get through about another week. Whew! :)

Don't worry about not doing more. You've done PLENTY by posting and thinking of Cookie and giving me the tips on cat food. I really appreciate it. :)

Hope you have a great weekend, and take care.

Jamie

i dont know what i just did...sorry! apparently i must log off because i am not doing this right at the moment..lol..i will keep watching your post to see how you and cookie are doing .I am happy you were able to get a little food for now..that will help relieve a little pressure-right? I know how hard this process is...the weekend after zoe s surgery I ended up in the hospital,so GET YOUR REST, any chance you get!!!!!!it is so worth it.having our babies better because of imom and these wonderful angels. enjoy your day-sending hugs

Sorry I haven't posted today before now, but I was gone all day from 8:15 am to 4:30 pm, and was exhausted so I slept all evening. Don't worry about the post mishap. :)

I was glad, too, to be able to get some more canned. I have enough now to last through Tuesday. :) Hopefully, my fundraiser will generate more funds before then. Taylor started refusing to eat the Hills yesterday, so the Hills bill may go down. He'll eat the Friskies, but he won't eat the Hills any more.

That's terrible you ended up in the hospital after Zoe's surgery. How IS Zoe?

I know what you mean about IMOM. I would have had to put Cookie to sleep if it weren't for IMOM. And, the bad part is, I didn't even have the money to do THAT. So, I don't know WHAT I would have done. I just am so thankful that Cookie is going to be okay and is back to feeling better. :)

Cookie's doing great! Losing his eye and having the stitches don't even seem to phase AT ALL. :) Thank you SO much for posting and checking on him. :) Hope you had a great day.

Take care,

Jamie