Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Tammy L.

Cookie Knight is at the Bridge :(

604 posts in this topic

Cookie is a 14 yr old neutered kitty with an anterior lens luxation. This is where the lens detaches and actually pushes into the Iris , causing glaucoma, lack of vision and a large amount of pain.

This condition is considered an ophthalmological emergency. He is suffering and must have his eye removed right away.

Thanks to our wonderful generous donors who contribute to the VIP (Visually Impaired Pets) fund, IMOM was able to pledge $317.49 to get surgery scheduled.

Cookie's mama will be along shortly to tell you all about her special boy.

Tammy-IMOM

Please meet Cookie

Hi all. I'm Jamie, Cookie's Mom. First, I want to say a HUGE thank you to Tammy with IMOM, all of the other IMOM volunteers, and IMOM's donors and supporters for helping Cookie. And, a special thanks to Jacki and Magic, because it's due to them that IMOM.org was set up to begin with. I literally had no idea how I would be able to raise the money to pay for Cookie's surgery and, thanks to you all, Cookie will get the surgery he needs. I'm on disability, and another one of my cats had major surgery on May 7th, and I was completely out of money and resources. So, thank you, thank you so much. You're all wonderful people to care so much for animals, and the world is a much better place because of you all.

I hope you don't mind if I copy/pasted Cookie's story of how I got him from my introduction in the Introductions Forum, but it's kind of long, and I really want you to know how special Cookie really is.

Cookie got off to a rocky start. In the spring of 2001, I noticed him hanging around my house, and I started giving him food and water every day. I then found out from a neighbor that he belonged to another neighbor who wasn't feeding Cookie and was abusing/neglecting Cookie and, even though Cookie was about 3 years old, he hadn't even given Cookie a name. One day when I got home from work, Cookie was lying in my flower bed, barely able to move. I rushed him to the vet, and his temperature went up to about 106 or 107 degrees, and since he had swollen lymph nodes, the vet said he probably had cancer and recommended euthanasia. I opted to wait until the next day to test him for cancer, and Cookie *didn't* have cancer, plus his temperature went back to normal. But, the vet said he had feline leukemia, and Cookie's ear and foot were injured and infected, I'm pretty sure from a cat fight he had been in 2 or 3 days before. I put Cookie in a spare bedroom away from my other cats and treated his ear and foot for several weeks and tried to find him a home. I took Cookie to my vet two more times and they re-tested him for feline leukemia, and they changed the results on me every time. First they said he did have it, then they said he didn't have it, and the 3rd time they said he did have it. They said their machine "didn't like Cookie", whatever *that* meant. So, I took him to another vet who had the tests done off-site, and he did NOT have feline leukemia, so I let Cookie out with my other kitties, and he's been fine ever since. I reported Cookie's "owner" to Animal Control, and It ended up being a battle between the neighbor who was threatening to come get Cookie from me, Animal Control who wanted to take Cookie to use as evidence in the case against my neighbor, and me. The neighbor eventually told me I could keep Cookie if I would drop the case against him with Animal Control, and I agreed and have had Cookie ever since. Cookie's strictly an indoor cat, and he sleeps with me every night, and no matter how bad he's feeling, he *always* purrs.

:) Bless his heart. I love him to pieces. He's a polydactyl kitty; he has 7 toes on each of his front paws, which are white, so it looks like has little pillows on his feet. :)

Not too long ago, I noticed that Cookie's eye was irritated and red, and he was keeping it closed a lot. And, then I saw that his pupil was dilated and wouldn't go down, so I took him to my vet, and they told me that the lens behind his eye had become detached and had shifted around in front of his eye and was blocking the drainage and causing Glaucoma. The 3 vets at the practice tried to figure out a way to just repair the lens and save Cookie's eye, but they concluded that wasn't possible and that he would have to his eye removed. My poor baby. That was last week, and I've been trying ever since to figure out a way to pay for the surgery. I had a yard sale Saturday, but I only made $8.25. I've put stuff online to sell, and I haven't had a whole lot of luck there either. So, thank goodness for IMOM and your supporters and donors.

Tammy was so great about very quickly processing my application. Unfortunately, my vet can't do the surgery until Tuesday of next week. They're not able to do it tomorrow, and they're closed on Monday. I'm not real happy about that, but the vet doing the surgery and the vet tech are volunteering their time for free, so I didn't feel like I could push it and try to get them to do it tomorrow.

I've called them to see if I can pick up some pain medication for Cookie to get him through until Tuesday, and the front office person said she would check with the vet. I'll be going over there in about an hour, and hopefully, they'll be able to provide something for him. He's not doing well at all, just sleeping, only waking up long enough to eat and use the litter boxes.

Thank you so much, again, for your support and help. I'll post another update later on today.

Sincerely,

Jamie

Edited by Cookie'sMom

I just got back from the vet and running an errand. I was able to get a little bit of pain medicine for Cookie, but it was $18 for two days, so that was all I was able to get. I'll just keep an eye on Cookie, and if it looks like he's really in distress, I'll give him some. Most of the time, he is sleeping, so I'll give him the medicine when he's up and moving around. I hate to ration it, but that's all I could afford to get, and that was cutting into my groceries this week. So, I'll just eat hot dogs and soup. :) Cookie's much more important.

Jamie, thank you for all that you did to get Cookie the care he needs...you did it quickly and efficiently and you've kept us all posted on the process along the way...it is so good to have a Momma that cares...Cookie is in good hands...

Don't you worry about rationing those pain meds...if he's sleeping, that means he's OK...and you pretty much know your kitty so if he needs the meds good...if he doesn't even better...

I know that you're going to be waiting for Tuesday to come...if you get lonely write on the forum...it might make the waiting easier...

I'll check in tomorrow to see how things are going...then I'm taking a much needed break and won't have computer access for a few days but I'll be checking in as soon as I get home on how things are going...I'll be home Monday evening from a girls week end...and the first place I'll come when I turn the computer on is IMOM...

Isn't IMOM the best??

Yes, IMOM is definitely the best! I'm so grateful to them.

I love Cookie (and all my cats) to pieces, and I wanted to get it done quickly so he could get help as quickly as possible. He's my baby, and if anything happened to him, I don't know what I'd do. He's not really a cat; he's my friend and buddy, if that makes any sense.

There is good news about the medicine. Tammy with IMOM just emailed me a few minutes ago, and IMOM is going to take care of getting the other 3 days' worth of pain medication, so Cookie will have the full dosage until time for surgery. Isn't that just unbelievable??? I could just cry. Now, I'll be able to give Cookie the proper dosage until time for surgery. I'm so happy about that, because every time I look at poor Cookie, it's all I can do to keep from crying. Poor baby. True, he IS sleeping about 20 hours a day, but I still feel better knowing that the medicine will be in his system continuously.

Yes, it's definitely going to be a long 4 or 5 days, and I'll take your advice and write on the forum. I've read a lot of the stories, but there are quite a few I haven't read yet, so I'll spend time doing that, too. IMOM has helped so many pets.

I sure hope you enjoy your weekend. I know you'll have fun! :) I believe you definitely need a break. IMOM is the first site I go to now, too. :)

Thanks, again, for all your help and support. It came at a time when I definitely needed it!

Have fun, and see you on Monday night! :)

Jamie

Ooops! Forgot you said you would be checking in tomorrow. :)

I gave Cookie his first dose of pain medicine (Buprenorphine/Hydrochloride) a few hours ago, and he's much calmer now and not in so much distress, thankfully. One thing I've noticed is, though, he hasn't been asleep since it took effect, and I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I hope it's not keeping him awake, but he's been sleeping almost around the clock the last few days, so maybe he's just not tired right now. Plus, he was sleeping so much because he felt so bad. But, he's definitely calmer, and he doesn't have that miserable, heart-breaking "please help me" look in his eye, like he had before he took the medicine, so that's good news. He's also a little spaced out and wobbly, bless his heart. lol I'm so thankful the medicine is making him feel better. And, thanks to IMOM, he'll be able to stay on the medicine until time for surgery. Whew. aktion033.gif

Oops! Cookie's asleep now. Spoke too soon. :)

I'm so happy to hear sweet Cookie is receiving the help he needs. I'm sure after his surgery he will be back up and running in no time.

Thank you so much. I'm happy, too. Thank goodness for IMOM.

:) I'll be so glad when the surgery is over and he heals up and feels better again.

Hang in there Cookie and Jamie. Pretty soon Cookie will be all fixed up again.

Hurrah for IMOM and Magic and all volunteers, donors and cheerleaders !

Kathy

Jamie, I am busy getting ready to leave in the AM but wanted to post and say YAY RAH to the pain meds!!!

I hope that Cookie had a good day today and the rest of the week end...I know Tuesday is a little ways away but now you can rest a little easier knowing that Cookie is not in pain...

I figured since I can't be here posting and our Gracie Belle's 4 yr. Gotcha Day Anniversary is coming up I'd let you read her story if you have time...if you get thru that I'll send you one over for our other little love, Rylee Jean...

http://www.imom.org/community/index.php?showtopic=4708

Happy Reading...and enjoy your babies...I'll be back online Monday night...Judy

Thank you SO much, Kathy! Tuesday seems like forever away, but Cookie's pretty comfortable on the pain medicine, so I can breathe a little easier. And, definitely "Hurrah for IMOM and Magic and all volunteers, Donors and cheerleaders"!!!! They are literally saving my baby's life because without the surgery, he would have to be humanely euthanized. I am just so thankful and grateful.

Thank you, again. :)

post-9302-0-78410600-1337987305_thumb.jp

Hi Judy,

Yes, isn't it just GREAT that IMOM took care of getting the other 3 days of pain medicine? I took Cookie in for his pre-surgery bloodwork late this afternoon and was able to pick up the additional medicine, so now he's good to go until surgery time. Cookie definitely had a better day today, since he's on the medicine. He's up and moving around a lot more instead of sleeping more than 20 hours a day, which is what he's been doing. He acts like he feels much better. :) Yes, I'm very happy that Cookie isn't in pain now. It was breaking my heart to think of him suffering.

Thanks for the link to Gracie Belle's story. I'm going to definitely read it. And, please send me the link to Rylee Jean's story. I'd love to read that, too. :)

I'll be resting easier this long weekend knowing Cookie feels better. I hope you have a wonderful weekend, and thanks, again, for all your support.

Jamie

I just want to say again how thankful I am to IMOM, IMOM's supporters and donors, and all the supportive forum members. Thanks to IMOM and IMOM's donors, I was able to pick up some more pain medicine for Cookie today when I took him in for his pre-surgery bloodwork. So, now I have enough to give him to last through Tuesday, which is when he'll have his surgery, which will make him so much more comfortable, thank goodness!! It's definitely helping, because he's up and moving around a lot more than he was before I started giving him the medicine. I'll definitely sleep better this weekend knowing he's not in that awful pain.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!claphands.gif

Edited by Cookie'sMom

Thanks, Judy, for the link. I'm going to go read them both in a couple of minutes. :) I can't wait!! I know I'll enjoy them!

Hi Judy. I just finished reading Gracie Belle's thread. She's so beautiful! And, you and Dale are so wonderful for taking her home and giving her so much love and patience. I know you have her spoiled rotten.

:) I am so thankful that Gracie has a good loving home with you and your family and can now be safe and happy and start to forget about her first 5 years of life. It's it amazing to watch them go from being scared and mistrusting to them finally realizing that they're safe and in a good place and safe and with a loving family? And, that they can relax? There's nothing like it. :)

I've got a couple of things to do, but I'll be back in a little bit and read Rylee Jean's story. I know you're so happy to have them both and that you love them both so much.

It is a blessing to have both of our girls...believe me...AND Miss Gracie Belle is the June centerfold for the 2012 Northeast Ohio Collie Rescue Calendar!!!!! We can't wait to turn the page.....

Thanks for the compliments...I'll share them with "the girls"

Off and running...leaving at 5:45 am.....

Sorry to be so late in posting today, but I was gone the first half of the day and have been pretty busy this afternoon.

I know you love both your girls. They're so cute, and I know they give you hours and hours of happiness, love, and companionship. I bet you CAN'T wait to turn the page on the calendar. Wow, what an honor for Gracie Belle.

:) I know you're proud! I still haven't read about your other baby yet, but I'm getting to it. :) Today's been crazy busy and still is.

By now, you're on your girls' long weekend and probably having a great time! Talk to you when you get back.

Jamie

Just to update you on Cookie: He's hanging in there and is about the same as yesterday. He's sleeping a lot, but he does get up and eat and use the litter box, and he's been walking around and watching every move I make. lol Plus, when I ate lunch, he jumped up on the table and sat with me as usual.

Not much to report. He's just pretty comfortable and calm because of the medication, and I'm really thankful for that. :) Thank you, again, IMOM and supporters.

On a side note, I was able to pick up my other cat Taylor from the vet today after his being there since Monday with issues after HIS surgery about 3 weeks ago. He's doing fine too, for now. Was really glad to get him home.

I'm just so grateful to IMOM and supporters. Things for Cookie could have gone a completely different route had it not been for you guys, and I don't even want to think about how things might have turned out.

Happy Long Weekend.

Jamie

Just having a quiet weekend. Cookie's up and around a little. He even went out on the back porch for a while, which is his favorite place. :)

Here is a picture of him enjoying the fresh air.

post-9302-0-18023700-1338137511_thumb.jp

Two more days to go to surgery! Yay!

Cookie is sleeping now after eating some canned Hills ID and taking his medicine. My kitty Taylor, who had surgery 3 weeks ago, has to stay on the HIlls ID for a while to be sure he gains his weight back and is getting enough moisture. When you have 5 cats, it's not easy to give one canned and not the other 4, so sometimes when I give Taylor his, I give him half a can and split the rest of the can between the others for a treat. I keep dry food out 24 hours a day, and they like it, but they REALLY love the canned. Sometimes, I take Taylor in the bedroom and close the door and give him the Hills, but the other 4 ALWAYS know somehow that he's getting the canned, and I feel guilty for not giving it to them. lol Can't keep that up, though, because Hills is $1.50 a can, and I'm feeding Taylor 3 times a day. So, all 5 kitties have full tummies and are sleeping. lol

Here's a picture of Cookie with SweetPea. They're sort of boyfriend and girlfriend. lol Good thing they're both spayed and neutered, or I'd have a lot of LITTLE Cookies and SweetPeas running around. lol Since Cookie's been feeling so bad, he's not giving much attention to SweetPea, so she's being really clingy with me right now and meowing a LOT. Poor baby. I keep telling her it won't be long before Cookie is back to his old self. So, I'm giving SweetPea a lot of extra love right now, too.

post-9302-0-28016200-1338159222_thumb.jp

Edited by Cookie'sMom

So good to hear Cookie and Taylor are both doing well. I am sure you will be glad when surgery is over with and life can get back to normal.. I hope all of you are having a wonderful holiday weekend.

Thank you for all the updates and the great photos. :)

Judy G.

Thanks, Judy! Yes, they're both as stable as they can get right now, thankfully. Taylor is now eating and pooping, thankfully. I'm giving him something called Metronidazole, which is supposed to help with his problems, and it appears to be working. Whew! And, Cookie is doing much much better on the pain medicine, thank goodness. :) Eating has never been a problem for Cookie (Cookie LOVES to eat!), and I'm lucky that that's been holding true even through him feeling so lousy.

Yes, I'll definitely be glad when Cookie's surgery is over and things get back to normal. I hope this doesn't happen again for a LONG LONG time or EVER.

Here are a couple of pictures of Taylor - all 7 pounds of him. :)

Taylor right after surgery:

post-9302-0-24715400-1338163936_thumb.jp

Me holding Taylor at the vet right after surgery:

post-9302-0-00793500-1338163973_thumb.jp

I hope you're having a nice holiday weekend, too. I thought you weren't going to be back on the forums until tomorrow night. It's nice to see you. :)

Jamie