Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Vicky T - IMOM

Walter - Cat In Acute Renal Failure

222 posts in this topic

Diagnosis: Acute Renal Failure

Low end of estimate: $20000

Less owner contribution: -$14000

Needed for low end of estimate: $6000

Our fund raising goal is $3120

4% of $3000 for IMOM operating expenses = $120

Spayed or neutered: Yes

Caseworker: Vicky T

Walter is a 5 year old cat who was adopted from the shelter 3 years ago by his loving owners. Walter is now suffering from acute renal failure, and his only chance at living is a kidney transplant.

His owners have already spent thousands of dollars for diuretics and hemodialysis, and they are spending what they have left in an attempt to save his life with a kidney transplant. They have applied with multiple other organizations, and IMOM.

This is what his parents had to say about Walter:

"Walter is the friendliest, most people-loving, special cat I have ever met. He is young and wise beyond his years, and has always been the favorite of every shelter and hospital he's visited. He has taught the grouchiest of humans to love animals and taught his parents true, unconditional love."

We need to fundraise $3000 for Walter, in a very short amount of time. Walter has been sick for a while, and he really needs some magic to happen quickly. His owners have tried everything they can, and are willing to put every dime they have left into his last chance at a loving life.

If you have some spare money, even if it's just $5, every amount adds up to a possible life saving procedure for Walter. If you can donate, please click here and mark your donation "GF - Walter Willett".

If you would like to make a donation directly through PayPal, you can use IMOM's PayPal email, which is paypal@imom.org. Please be sure if you use PayPal directly, please mark your donation for "GF - Walter Willett".

Thank you so much for caring, and stopping by to read about Walter.

Vicky T

post-4675-0-52215500-1330380887_thumb.jp

Edited by Vicky T - IMOM

3 people like this

Hi, everyone.

Words cannot describe my gratitude to even see this post up.

News on Walter: The team at Tufts did a great job preparing Walter & his mother (Ronit) for the flight down to Florida. The doctors at UFL don't really know him that well, yet, but they were pleasantly surprised at how easy going & high-spirited Walter is, especially considering that he had just made such a large journey for cat.

He's actually bouncier than he ever was during his previous treatments, kneading his paws more ("making biscuits"), being extra talkative & yelling, and bumping around and loving on everyone. Last I heard he was yelling at the other dogs in the ward. That's our Walter.

He doesn't discriminate. I am sure that every doctor and nurse there will give him plenty of love. His personality and story have inspired everyone that's come into contact with him. I tried to butter up the accounting administrator at UFL: "You should go see him.... at least just once." He'll melt everyone in that hospital.

I put together a video of Walter in action, but it links to an external fundraiser. (Like I've said, we are trying every possible angle.) I can post it, but I'm not sure if it's okay with the IMOM people.

I'll write more later.

Again, thank you thank you thank you!!!!

- James

post-8827-0-54630400-1330382281_thumb.jp

James...WELCOME to IMOM...

Now...I know that you are really busy getting Walter ready but his journey...

posting, posting and then posting more is most important...open communication is what really counts...

I can see that you and Walter's Mom really care...that shows thru what you've written so far...keep up the good work...

make the angels love Walter and care as much as his family...

If you are going to be away from the computer...let us know...we are WORRIERS and we care...

Again, WELCOME...I am looking forward to hearing all about Walter's journey to wellness...Judy

PS - most important - and I almost forgot...post IMOM's link to Walter on facebook, tweet to your friends, ask them to share and crosspost...getting his story "out there" is what needs to happen.....

Edited by Judy

BTW: We love pictures too :)

Happy to be part of trying to help raise funds for Walter..... the IMOM Angels will tell the world about Walter. Please share and cross post his post: http://www.imom.org/community/index.php?showtopic=8277

And I know I sound like a broken record, but seriously, even if you only have a couple dollars to spare, don't hesitate. It all adds up, and Walter really needs a lot of funds quick. http://imom.org/donate_to_a_pin.htm to donate to Walter! This family has really done an amazing job raising funds as well as using all their funds that they had. They are trying everything they can to get the last bit that they need.

Melissa/IMOM

I put together a video of Walter in action, but it links to an external fundraiser. (Like I've said, we are trying every possible angle.) I can post it, but I'm not sure if it's okay with the IMOM people.

James,

It's absolutely OK! We don't allow non-approved applicants to post fundraisers but Walter is now one of ours, so feel free to post, and cross-post any and everything. We really want to see Walter have surgery ASAP.

Best of luck to you!

Cindy/IMOM

Hey, guys! -

You got it!

youtube.com/watch?v=a7a7Oa0lKTg&feature=plcp&context=C3ffcd9fU…

Pretty proud of this. Makes me cry whenever I watch it.

That's his brother Mickey in the video, too. Notice how smart they both are. We've worked hard on them over the last three years, training them and getting them used to our lives--as well as getting our lives used to theirs.

I do not sit behind a computer all day, but I do have a laptop and I now know how important it is to stay updated....

I will hit you guys whenever I get the chance. Maybe some anecdotes about Walter & Mickey and our family's love for each other, perhaps? I'll brainstorm and be back momentarily.

- James

post-8827-0-55677800-1330387641_thumb.jp

I tried to use your link to the utube video but I couldn't get it to go thru...I am not the best person when it comes to computers...but I hope that I'll get it figured out...I can't wait to see it...

I have been following Walter's story ever since you started posting on the Introduction page...

Good job for your boy...keep up the good work...it's going to pay off...

Happy to report that Walter has $355 in donations! Keep the magic coming in for this baby. His owners have worked so hard for Walter, keep the kind thoughts, prayers, and donations coming in!

We will keep updating throughout the night as we are able.

Vicky T

Thank you, Judy!

Walter's always been kind of a "Daddy's Boy." Mickey Lickey, Walter's brother, has always been partial to his mother.

Ronit has always been good with the field work, and I'm usually better at the research, typing, writing, and online stuff. I was just on the phone with her working on her "statement". :-)

Maybe first I'll tell you guys about when we first took them home.

Walter started pacing around his cage when we got close, and Ronit yelled, "I want that one! The one with the fat face!" On his cage was written "Walter. Meagan's favorite cat!" Meagan was a girl at the shelter.

I'll be honest, I wasn't much of a cat person. We originally wanted to get a pair of cats to keep Ronit's dad & step-mom company a few months after their lifelong pet, Sheba, passed away. Sheba died in his sleep, which was a very merciful way to go... for him and for his family.

Well, they say cats pick their owners, and Walter and Mickey did not want to live with Ronit's parents. They were wonderful and loving with us at the shelter, but when we got down to her parents, they absolutely unruly. Walter jumped in the fridge, and all we heard was Ronit's dad (who is blind and could not see Walter, but knew something was amiss), with his Gerard-Depardieu accent, screaming, "What are you doing? Get out of there!" Walter was perched on the top shelf, looking out like a Sphinx, as if he could go unnoticed if he was perfectly still.

When we got Walter & Mickey back to my house, Walter was the hidey-cat, and Mickey came out to explore. When Walter finally emerged, the first thing he did was climb on the couch behind Ronit's head and start massaging her shoulders with both of his paws & gently gnawing her hair, as if to say, "Hey. Thanks for giving me a home. I love you."

That's when I started crying. The unconditional love was immobilizing. I've been a cat person ever since.

There's footage of this on the video..... Let's try that again:

Please angels, absolutely ANY amount of donation will help this precious kitty have his life saving surgery. Mickey needs his brother Walter with him...can u help?

Just imagine the feeling u will have after donating-it will carry u through the whole day knowing that YOU made a difference in Walter, Mickey's and his human's lives.

Give urself a smile--please help Walter!!

OH MY!! I LOVE the video. It certainly tugs at the heartstrings. I know many of us wish we could make video's of our kids, and u did an awesome job.

C'mon angels, Walter needs our help!!!

I loved the video too. It brought tears to my eyes.

Donations stand at $355. There probably won't be additional updates tonight, but we'll be counting first thing in the morning. Please give us something to count. Be it $5 or $500, they all add up. This sweet boy is SO loved and his folks are trying so hard. We have to help.

Thanks in advance to all who have donated and are supporting Walter. He's worth it.

Cindy/IMOM

Hey, gang!

I can't tell you how much the support means to us. We have been trying to explain ourselves to our parents, siblings & other skeptics, and all of a sudden it's like the guardian faeries have come out of the trees to tell us we're not alone, that we're part of a family. To have all of you tell us that we're doing the right thing means the world to us.

I can keep updating, but I feel like there's something else I can do. So an honest question: Should I keep drilling Facebook for the Give Forward fundraiser, as well? I can alternate between posting about IMOM and Give Forward... or should I just start plowing everyone about the IMOM fundraiser?

I would really appreciate tips from everyone as to how to keep going. You have all given me new vigor. We can do this!

In the news: It's as if Walter can hear all of you. His personality has fully emerged today. He was running around, threatening to eat plants, and eating better than he ever has....--if he produces urine without needing surgery, then that would be a miracle! ;-)

He had three fast-food style baskets of food in front of him today: two different kinds of wet food and a cardboard basket of dry kibbles. He's used to the kibbles so that's where he went first.... before going for the wet food. He used to live on the streets of Boston, so anytime he can get food, he'll eat it! :-)

Just now he was sitting on Mommy's chest with his paws on her shoulders, and the motor was running!

I hope this story becomes a beacon of hope for animal owners everywhere! I hope that I can do the same for another family like ours someday. Thank you for all of the encouragement.

- James

post-8827-0-30925000-1330398081_thumb.jp

I took this picture when I came home after a very bad day. I think my self-esteem had taken a hit from either relationship problems or co-workers or clients shaking me down. I just felt like I wasn't living up to anyone's standards, including my own. It was nowhere close to dinner time or anything special; Walter just sat down and told me he loved me and that I was great in his book & that he will always love me, no matter what. I'll never forget it. I call this picture "Unconditional Love".

James...you are doing a GREAT JOB posting here at IMOM but DO CONTINUE to post on the Facebook give forward fund raiser page as well...

we need to raise a good amount of money in a short amount of time...so the more people you can touch the better...and we here at IMOM are sharing Walter's page on our walls as well and asking others to ask others...so the word is getting out there...

You've done a wonderful job of communicating...people will totally understand if you say that you are working with both IMOM and your give forward page on Facebook, in fact they will appreciate the hard work you are doing in your own fund raising efforts...

And it's totally understandable that you can't be on the forum all the time...you must work and tend to Mickey and Walter...and you've clearly told us that...and that's what you need to do....and again, you are doing it well...

The people reading, and believe me they are, can see the love and commitment you have for Walter...and that's what it's all about...we will work hard here on the forum to post and check in...you just keep on doing what you're doing...Judy

James,

Communication between you and your caseworker needs to be handled through email, not here. If you have questions on what you should be doing, you need to write us at gf@imom.org. And you need to answer our emails promptly. We wrote you last night and haven't received a response. Please respond asap.

Cindy/IMOM

NEWS: As of this morning, right now, $695 has been raised for Walter!

Thank you everyone for donating and helping Walter and his family through this. Keep spreading the word.... $2425 is left to be raised!

To Donate to Walter:

http://imom.org/donate_to_a_pin.htm

Melissa/IMOM

I'm wondering about the status of the kidney donor?? Will he/she have a home after donation is made?

I want to say that Walter's owners are going to take the donor in...I think that when I watched the YouTube video there was a link to the Give Forward fund raising page and it talked of the kitty...I'll check that out again...she name started with a G.....Judy

Thanks SO much everyone!

I just wanted to check in before I start hammering Facebook.

Tomorrow I'm going to push every one of my Facebook friends to donate $29 ($29 on the 29th), but the IMOM link helps me get a little variety so I can do different looking posts multiple times per day.

And now that I've got all of you on my side, I can also post on the Cat Fancy fb page and other places like that more frequently. Please feel free to send ideas.

I responded to Vicky's and Melissa's email. Y'all bear with me if I get my communication wires crossed.

I'll post later with a story about how smart Walter is.

For now: Here he is eating his first of three helpings of food (in one sitting!) at the hospital.

- James

post-8827-0-68833200-1330447132_thumb.jp

And yes, the donor is a shelter cat, and it is a requirement of the hospital that we take the donor home.

He gives us a kidney, and we give him a family. It's only fair. :-)

We will love him just as we love Walter and Mickey.

The hospital calls him Gizmo, but we'll see if he likes that. So far people are liking Orville. Let's see how he takes to that. I'd like for him to choose the name.

- James

Any recommendations on who's best for pet insurance for this little fella? I've got a lot of homework to do.

post-8827-0-63237700-1330447577_thumb.jp

A modest donation (sorry it can't be more!) is on the way to Walter, from all the rescue malamutes, in loving memory of *their* kitty, StormCat. StormCat lived to a ripe old age - 24 - we are hoping the same for Walter, to get all fixed up and live a long and happy life.

Angels, if you can, please help Walter - his humans have really gone all out to get him fixed up - every donation counts, no matter how modest.

Vicky M.

OK this is regular ol' Melissa now. Not IMOM Melissa..... just little ol' me. You mentioned Insurance? http://www.petinsurancereview.com/ GREAT website that really shows you some great reviews and ratings.

Things to look for:

Deductible: Is it yearly or per incident or per TYPE of incident. Careful, as most are type. If you take the cat in for one issue, and the follow up visit you ask about something else, and your vet writes that down, it is now another incident. (its in the fine writing)

Life time amount: Some say unlimited. That's great, but the fine writing then has a list of things they don't pay for. i.e. Cancer! Diabetes, CRF, etc.

What they will treat: Personally, I made sure there was nothing they would't treat (except pre existing conditions of course they won't).

Customer Service: When you call, do you get a real person immediately? How quick is turn around time on claims? How easy is the paper work for the vets? (some make them fill out mounds of paper work...), how easy is it to make a claim?

Another good comparison site: http://www.healthypawspetinsurance.com/ComparePlans.aspx

The above is my two cents.....and you can figure out which one I use!

So I'm curious, does Orville/Gizmo meet Walter at all before surgery? Just curious....

OK Let's raise some funds for Walter!!! :)

Melissa <----regular Melissa

News: $870 raised for Walter! Money dance is happening. Come on IMOM Angels, keep spreading the word. $2250 more is needed!

We are running short on time to fund raise for Walter. We have to do the best we can so that he can have the transplant for sure. Our donations are key to making this happen. The hospital was reluctant to agree to work with us for a bit, which cost Walter some IMOM fund raising time. So we need to make that up.

Share Share Share! Cross Post away! http://www.imom.org/...?showtopic=8277

And to donate: http://imom.org/donate_to_a_pin.htm

Someone once told me, Make the donation button/link Bigger..... :o) She was very smart! :)

Thank you for all your donations so far. We really appreciate you helping Walter's family who is obviously doing everything imaginable to make this happen for Walter!

Melissa/IMOM

Edited by Melissa IMOM

BTW: Surgery is scheduled for tomorrow, and if it doesn't happen he has to undergo another dialysis treatment costing $500!

Melissa/IMOM