Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Tammy L.

Oz Hill

86 posts in this topic

Getting nervous about tomorrow. I know its a somewhat common surgery, just not common for my dog to be having it done. Last time he had surgery was when he was 6 months old and having the pin in his leg removed and getting neutered. Hoping that there arent any complications with the stone in his urethra...

The best part of IMOM is now that Oz has his funding we are ALL here for you both tomorrow...you can lean on us...we'll be with you in positive thoughts, spirit and prayers...

IF by any chance Oz might have to spend the night (don't know if that's the plan or not) but send a long a tee shirt that you wore today...that way he will have his Dad's scent with him when he wakes up from surgery...

I am always so anxious the day of any surgeries....that's to be expected...because you love your boy..and you'll be worrying...

What time do you have to take up food and water?? Don't forget to talk to the vet about the food Oz is going to be eating now...

Tonight you two can just relax and enjoy each other...what a wonderful ending to Oz's birthday...this time tomorrow it will be all over and Oz will be on the road to recovery...Judy

They said no food or water after midnight. He will most likely be spending the night but i will find out for sure tomorrow. As for the food he will be eatting, we have to wait and see what kind of stones they are. He had two urinalysis done and the first showed one kind of crystal while the second showed a differant kind. Both are complete opposites. So we arent sure yet. Going to try and get some sleep...

And once again, Thank you to everyone at IMOM and all who donated for making this happen!

Hi Oz's Dad !!!!

I just wanted you to know, I'm holding Oz (and you - because I know you're most likely anxious about his surgery) - in my heart, thoughts and prayers !!!! And, my Bandit is keeping his paws and whiskers crossed - that all will go well for your beautiful boy !!! :wub:

ALSO, don't forget:

When you take Oz in for his surgery ... you may want to take in one of your t-shirts you've slept in, or a towel you've used -- So it smells familiar, and he will feel your presence with him, in case he has to be there a little while.

Gentle HUGS to Oz, nuzzles to the kitties, and :hugs: to you and your daughter.

You've got a lot of "Aunties" and "Uncles" who are pulling for your boy - and are here to support you !! So, hang in there. And thank you for loving this precious boy so !!!

Love and prayers,

Donna and 'The Bandit' too :wub:

:felineicon:

:heart::heart:

Well today is the big day. Really nervous. Getting ready to head to the vet's office. Didnt sleep very well... Wish us luck. I'll post more when I hear from the vet. Sorry for the short scattered brain post... my minds in a hundred differant places.

Well today is the big day. Really nervous. Getting ready to head to the vet's office. Didnt sleep very well... Wish us luck. I'll post more when I hear from the vet. Sorry for the short scattered brain post... my minds in a hundred differant places.

All fingers, paws and whiskers crossed here in Alaska. All his IMOM aunties and uncles are here for you. We'll be pacing the floor as well until Oz is out of surgery and in recovery. Pacing.gifPacing.gifPacing.gifHugs.gif

I figure that Oz is either in surgery already or ready to go...

I'm with the rest of Oz's and your fan club...positiive thoughts and prayers that surgery is SHORT and uneventful and Oz is going to be in recovery SOON...I'll keep checking back in to see if there are any updates later...Judy

Oz is out of surgery and in recovery. He will be staying the night tonight. They said he had about a dozen stones of differant sizes. Doctor said they look like calcium something or another stones but will be sending them out to the lab to confirm what they are. So he will most likely be put on u/d food i think. Also, the vet said they are going to give me a discount. So I dont think that everything is going to cost as much as originally quoted. I'm not sure what IMOM does with any additional money that is raised, but i hope it can be used for someone else who needs it.. Will post more later as I hear it.

Oz is out of surgery and in recovery. He will be staying the night tonight. They said he had about a dozen stones of differant sizes. Doctor said they look like calcium something or another stones but will be sending them out to the lab to confirm what they are. So he will most likely be put on u/d food i think. Also, the vet said they are going to give me a discount. So I dont think that everything is going to cost as much as originally quoted. I'm not sure what IMOM does with any additional money that is raised, but i hope it can be used for someone else who needs it.. Will post more later as I hear it.

Hi Dad !!!!

Would have been ob here sooner ... but had an appt. myself. ANYWAY ...... soooo HAPPY to hear Oz's surgery was successful !!!! Poor sweetie, so many stones ... I am "sure" he's going to feel much much better with those things gone !!! It'll just take a little time to heal. Glad he told you what kind of prescription fod Oz will need, You can call the food company's "800 #" and if you explain your situation they may donate a large bag of the food or a lot of coupons towards the purchases. And, maybe your vet will give you a bag to start out. (It never hurts to ask ... it's hard to ... but, you won't know until you do. Perhaps your IMOM caseworker can help --- or any one of us, I'll be happy to !!!! :) )

:hugs: to Lisa, Judy, Pam ad ALL the IMOM Angels !!!!! xo♥xo♥xo♥ AND --- know I'm sending extra special GENTLE HUGS and KISSES to Oz and :hugs: to you and your little girl (and don't forget the kitties ... I bet they're missing their special buddy right now.)

We're here for y'all. If there's any extra funds ... I'm sure it will go back into IMOM's General Fund to try and help other PINs [Pet In Need]. ♥ ♥

Will be looking forward to more updates. Holding y'all in my heart, thoughts and prayers.

With hugs, love and purrs,

Donna and 'The Bandit' :wub:

YAY RAH Oz...what a big boy...he's where he needs to be tonight...resting...and coming out of the effects of surgery...tomorrow he's going to be up and about and ready to come home to the family that loves him...

Donna is right...on the bag of food you'll have to use is a toll free number...Call them...explain the situation about you coming back from Afganistan and waiting to get help...they are very nice in customer service...

They will do what they can...even if it's just giving you food coupons...I call the toll free number for our girls dog food (Iams) and they send me $3.00 coupons every six weeks or so...you know, every little bit helps...

I'm betting when you tell them your story you will get some free food to start Oz off...Judy

So glad Oz had his surgery. IMOM angels are just, well, Magic!! Thank u angels!

I thought maybe u would like to read abt another PIN kid who had surgery for bladder stone removal early last week. Her name is Luna and she is doing AWESOME!!!

Here is the link to her thread in case u want to read abt her experience with surgery.

http://www.imom.org/community/index.php?showtopic=8136&st=30

Gentle hugs to Oz when u see him tmw!

Cindy and the boyz

Talked to the Vet more earlier. There are two options for food. Royal canin SO or Hills UD. Does anyone have any expiriance with either of these or a preference? Just trying to weigh my options...

Sorry, my brain is still everywhere. Didnt get much sleep last night. Scheduled to pick up Oz tomorrow morning at around 11 am as long as he is peeing well. They let me stop in and see him. He looks so sad with his giant lamp shade on his head. He didnt even want to move. He just stood there. I feel so bad. He must be hurting right now. Cant wait to get him home and make him a nice little quiet place to lay down in my room. (Far from where my daughter can torture him) ... going to try and get some sleep. About to pass out on my computer...

Oh and thank you once again to everyone who made this possible. I cant quite seem to say that enough to get my point across. You all are my little Oz's heros. (He might not think so at this moment, but still) Thank you!

Dear "Dad" .....

I know all about the "Cone of Shame" ;) as we jokingly call it. I haven't met a pet yet that is "happy" about having to wear one, however - it IS VERY important that they do !!! You don't want Oz getting at his stitches or getting the area infected. THAT would really create problems for you "and" especially for poor Oz - which you do NOT want him to go through !!!! I hope everything is "going well" for him in the morning so that you won't have problems picking him up. :wub:

**Most importantly - you will need a Prescription from your Vet for which ever one of the foods you decide to use. If you choose to get it at Pet Smart - they issue you a card when you give them the "script" and all your other information. (Usually "MUCH" cheaper than Petco). If you choose to have the food "shipped" providing you can get a good price some place online - then the Vet has to Fax the prescription to their specific department.

My vet has only prescribed Hill's products with Bandit - so they are the only one "I" personally have had experience with over the years. You would have to check Bandit's Thread to see what I am talking about ....

They are both good prescription foods ... At this point, I would go with [price, and which company would be willing to work with you based on your financial situation - being an unemployed Afgan vet awaiting help, etc.

As I don't know where you live, I can only tell you from my personal experience, Royal Canin was more expensive (for some feline products). Ask your vet FIRST if he can help you out with a bag to start off - and also ask what "they" charge and which one "they" carry. [usually vets dont have room to carry both -- unless it's a much larger hospital, but even then, they often go with just one of them.]

Here is the information for each company......

Hills Pet (Prescription and Science Diets)

1-800-445-5777

8am - 5pm CST (Mon. - Fri.)

http://www.hillspet.com/products/prescription-diet.html

Royal Canin USA, Inc.

1-800-592-6687

8am - 5pm CST (Mon. - Fri.)

http://products.royalcanin.us/products.aspx

As they are not open weekends, and their 800#'s are only until 5pm CST you may want to do as much checking as you can "before" you pick Oz up. [Although not sure what "time" you'll be getting this .. :P]

I'm sending you a PM [Private Message] also ... So feel free to contact me if you need additional help. That's what we're here for !!!!! :)

Please give Oz LOTS of GENTLE HUGS and KISSES from me and Bandit (and all the kitties too !!! ♥) They'll be wondering about that "big" plastic "hat" ;) Oz is wearing all the way around his neck.

We'll be looking forward to hearing about his recovery. Praying it is a swift and uneventful one. :wub::heart::wub: And we hope you will stay a member of IMOM and provide emotional support to others after Oz has recovered.

GREAT :hugs: and Love to you and your little one,

always ~ Donna and 'The Bandit' :wub:

Edited by Bandit'sAngel

I have been thinking alot about Oz Thank God for IMOM helping him.

I didn't know you needed a prescription to buy the products off the shelf at PetSmart, Donna. I'm going to have to try it and see what happens. I'm wondering if that's a California specific requirement.

Hoping Oz will be feeling better this morning, and forgive everybody for putting that cone of shame on him. Sadly, it is important, but they do look pitiful when they are "disgraced". Better to be "disgraced" then in pain.

Tell Ozzie's kitty buddies to take good care of him when he gets home.

I don't know about needing a prescription but if that is so, just talk with your vet about it today when you pick Oz up...even a telephone call will work...but, you'd have to go and pick it up...

I am so excited for Oz to come home...

Those cones are terrible but you sure don't Oz "messing" with his stitches or staples...he'll only need it until his stitches can come out...

He might be alittle sore today but each day is going to get better and better...can't wait until you write that he is home again...resting with his family.

Oz is now at home relaxing. I had to take him out to pee for them since he didnt want to pee when they walked him. He seems to be feeling pretty good. The vet said he has internal sutures so unless he really starts going after it, no cone of shame for him... going to spend some more time with him... I'll write more later!

Oz is doing great. Peeing well. A little quieter then usual but all and all seems ok from the whole ordeal. It is going to be a little difficult to keep him from eatting things other then the food he's suppose to eat... My daughter likes to try and feed oz and the cats her food. She thinks its funny. She also kept wanting to play fetch with him today. She doesnt get the part about throwing the ball.. She throws to him and not for him to go get. I suppose for the time being thats a good thing since he's not suppose to be playing fetch as it is. Well good night everyone and thank you again for helping my boy!

Well, admittedly ... things are "different" in Cali ...... However, I can only go from my experience. Even if you try to order any of the Prescription Foods over the internet ... they will ask for Prescription at checkout.

It happened to me when mine expired. Any of the companies online I tried all wanted a Prescription Faxed to them at check out.

PetSmart doesnt' have room to put the Prescription someplace different -- not too mention -- it would make it cost prohibitive to glass it off; or put it to where you would need extra employees to handle it. Hence, it is on the shelf -- until it hits the register ... then they ask for your prescription card.

It IS in a different area of the store ... but, still on the shelf. ANYWAY ...... :)

So glad he's home. :):heart: I hope he's feeling LOTS better now !!!! :wub: And I "know" he's SOOO hapyy to be back home !!!!!!! :heart:

Thank you "Dad" for loving him soooo much. Sorry it took me so long to get on today ..... had a few unexpected problems. Please give Oz LOTS of special kisses for me. Snuggles to the kitties and special :hugs: to you and your little one !!!!!

Bandit sez "heyyyy" Love, Donna and The "Big Ole' Beautiful Boy" :wub:

Edited by Bandit'sAngel

Oz is doing great. Peeing well. A little quieter then usual but all and all seems ok from the whole ordeal. It is going to be a little difficult to keep him from eatting things other then the food he's suppose to eat... My daughter likes to try and feed oz and the cats her food. She thinks its funny. She also kept wanting to play fetch with him today. She doesnt get the part about throwing the ball.. She throws to him and not for him to go get. I suppose for the time being thats a good thing since he's not suppose to be playing fetch as it is. Well good night everyone and thank you again for helping my boy!

Oops .... we must have been posting at the same time ... [me albeit a lot slower --- :lol:]

So happy he's doing well !!!! Your daughter sounds adorable !!!! :wub: Sounds like it will be handful keeping him on the prescription food ... Puppers will "definitely" want to get something "other" than that !!! I know Bandit was thrilled when we introduced canned food back into his diet 7 yrs ago after being on the Prescription for a few years. He just thought it was "Yippee Skippy" :P But then he got sick ... and we couldn't figure out why ... long [expensive] story ... before IMOM.

Anyway, thank you for loving this special boy SO much, and taking such good care of him !!!! I know how much he means you to and your family !!!!! BIG HUGS and LOVE - ALL around !!!!!

Donna and Bandit :wub:

The food thing is the same here in florida. The vet also requires a yearly exam and urinalysis for the prescription which isnt a big deal since I do that pretty much every year anyways.

The discovery of the stones was purely by accident. I took Oz in for his shots and I also opt for their senior bloodwork which tests the urine among other things. We discovered that in addition to him having a thyroid problem, he had a uti and crystals. So thats when the doctor suggested checking for stones. I'm so thankful that I did the bloodwork. I just thought the sputtery pee was part of him getting older. My poor guy would have blocked and then things would have been really bad.

He's doing really well with the sutures. He hasnt messed with them at all. He's such a good boy. I'll keep everyone posted!