Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sarah C.

Lacey Glucksman Mammory Cancer

92 posts in this topic

Sending good thoughts for Lacey's appointment that's she gets the "all clear" for her next surgery!

:hugs:

We are all thinking about you Lacey.

Tammy-IMOM

Good Morning IMOM Family,

Just got back from the Vets office with Lacey. He was very pleased with Lacey's progress and removed her stitches. She was very happy about that. We got the go ahead for her next surgery and scheduled it for tomorrow. Now for the more disturbing news. She has multiple nodules around her mammary glands on both sides that will need to be removed, but the doctor can only perform one side at a time. He explained what he needs to do and that there just isn't enough puppy there to perform a bilateral mastectomy. He showed me just how extensive the surgery will be extending from very high up on the right side of her chest wall to below her abdomen. She will be in a body bandage for at least 2 weeks. He also said that it will be about 3 months from now before he is able to remove the other string of mammary glands on her left side. The good news is that because she was spayed recently, as the hormone levels go down the swelling around the remaining nodules should also decrease. We were hoping to spare her from an additional surgery but he did not recommend that approach. Because of the size and number of some of the nodules he did not feel that a lumpectomy would lead to a good long term prognosis. So please keep Lacey in your thoughts as she undergoes her next surgery tomorrow...Sheldon

Sheldon,

We're going to concentrate our energy on the good news - that the fight to save Lacey's life takes another giant step forward tomorrow!

I just spoke with the Vets office and Lacey is out of surgery in recovery. I was told that the surgery lasted a little longer than they had expected. The entire mammary chain on her right side was removed. She has both staples and a pressure bandage to help her in the healing process. When we pick her up later this afternoon and then get her settled in at home I hope to have more details to post. Thanks for your good thoughts and keep them coming as she is now going to need some time to fully heal...Sheldon

Sheldon - I'm so glad surgery went well today. I'll be sending you an email shortly about the change in surgery and what that means. I'm bummed that she has to go through yet another surgery - but 2 are now at least behind her!

Hello Sarah and everyone at IMOM,

"Lacey is a real trooper", so said the surgical nurse. She told me just how extensive the surgery was, "from stem to stern" she said. But the body bandage is there to both help her heal and give her additional support. The Vet was pleased and said the biopsy results should be back by early next week. She was well hydrated and given alot of pain medication. Right now she appears comfortable and is snoring away. I have instructions to begin giving her a little food as well as antibiotics and additional pain meds starting tomorrow. Using little pill pockets that she eats really helps when giving her the meds. Lacey may need a little assistance for a day or two carrying her outside to do her bodily functions. I guess we're going to find out if she is a little vain or wouldn't mind my carrying her and standing close by. We're scheduled to return to have the body bandage removed in ten days and then again at two week post surgery to have the staples removed. Of course if the bandage gets too soiled we'll bring her back so that it can be replaced. But we're hoping that for the next couple of days she just rests, regains her strength and gets that gleam back into her eyes. We were advised that it'll probable be three months before the next surgery to remove the left mammary chain could be performed. I'll certainly keep you advised when we get closed to that time. Please keep Lacey in your thoughts that she be as comfortable as possible and have a full and swift recovery. Thanks...Sheldon

Good morning to you all,

Lacey had a restless nights sleep. She woke up from time to time but would then doze back off for a couple of hours. She surprised me this morning by standing and walking a little. She seemed to enjoy being brought outside for a little while and was able to relieve herself. She's eaten a little and is also drinking some water. So we are making progress on her road back to health. Thanks for thinking about her and keeping your thoughts about her progress positive. Sheldon

Just want to give you a quick update. Lacey had a pretty quiet day, resting, eating a softer meal from time to time and she is drinking water via a syringe that I place on her tongue and she then laps it in. The whole time those big brown eyes are looking up at me...melt down time. Using the pill pockets is a wonderful way to help get the medications into her. She also liked being outside for a little while today and enjoyed the breeze and neighborhood noises that she has become accustomed to. Glad to say that she has been able to urinate and I hope that tomorrow she'll have more in her system so she can poop. The surgical nurse was very right, she is a little trooper...Sheldon

I am so happy to hear that Lacey is doing well. That sounds like a big surgery for such a little girl. I hope she continues to do well, and that the second (third!) surgery goes as well as the first, and she can get back to living the good life.

Judy G.

Thank you Judy G. for your good thoughts and words of encouragement for Lacey. I am looking forward to getting the pathology report early next week. I think that may help us with future direction. Lacey is eating better with assistance but she is only drinking water by my giving it to her via a syringe. So when she is not snoozing, I'm getting water and into her. I'm hoping that she'll soon start drinking and eating on her on. But she is getting up and walking on her own for short distances. We're seeing progress everyday. Thanks for your concern...Sheldon

One of my little guys had surgery almost a year ago for a fractured leg, and he was not too interested in eating-and definitely not in drinking, so I had the old syringe out, too. In his case, it was almost a week before he seemed to want to drink water-here's hoping it's just a couple of days for Lacey!

Judy G.

Lacey ate fairly well today and I'm still using the syringe method to get water into her. When she went outside today she was able to both pee and poop. Can't believe how excited I got about that. I saw her panting just once today so I gave her more water to hydrate her and since it was close to the time for her pain medication she got that too. Even my daughter got into the act of feeding her by hand this evening. Lacey seems to be resting ok right now...Sheldon

Big surgery for such a sweet girl. Thank you for the updates

Spoke with the Vets office this morning and scheduled to bring Lacey in tomorrow for a post surgical check up and removal of a body patch that she is wearing under the body bandage that was used to relieve pain. She is walking around more and more. Still not drinking on her own so the syringe is always close by. Appitite this morning was so so. Is it a good sign if she gets a little fussy? Sheldon

Thanks for the update. I am always happy when one of my babies gets cranky...it usually means they are feeling better.

When giving fluids by syringe,make sure to go in from the side of the mouth and not straight in - so she doesn't choke.

If you elevate her bowls, she may start drinking on her own. Bending over may be painful (I would think it would be with abdominal stitches. I get a pain just thinking about it.)

Drs Foster and Smith has elevated bowls..or you might find at your local pet store.

Good luck

Kathy

Kathy - good idea about elevating the bowl. And if you don't want to go out and buy something expensive - I use a low chair or stool for elevating Natasha's food. The stool I use has rubber on it so that the bowl doesn't slip off.

I'm so glad to hear she's getting so much love and attention! :pp_animal_568:

Elevating the bowls sounds like a good idea. I will not need to raise the bowls too high since Lacey is not that tall. Will start to do. Thanks...Sheldon

Lacey spent more time this morning outside soaking in some sun. A frisky squirl kept her attention for awhile. Still not eating or drinking on her own, but her chopped up meal on a spoon (whatever falls being eaten out of my hand) and multiple water samples with a syringe seemed to have gotten her through this morning. I took your advice Kathy and place an old telephone directory under her bowls to elevate them a few inches. The Vet told me that since this was a far more extensive surgery than before, that it may take a little more time before she gets back to her normal eating/drinking habits. Let's hope sooner rather than later...Sheldon

My Shitzu had a similar surgery at 15. She spent a lot of time on the tile floor- I think it felt cooler to her. She did make a full recovery.

Do you know if they had a tube down her throat during surgery? That could make her throat uncomfortable for a few days as well (speaking from experience here)

Here's hoping Lacey is back to eating and drinking on her own soon

Kathy

Lacey continues to be a little picky with her eating and drinking habits. Adding plenty of liquid to her food to make it softer for her, perhaps easier to swallow. Still using the ol' syringe to get more fluids into her. Maybe she just likes all the extra attention? Someone told me that when she gets hungry enough to check out her food bowl she'll eat. She's certainly not fading away. We'll see...Sheldon

Spoke with the Vets office this morning and scheduled to bring Lacey in tomorrow for a post surgical check up and removal of a body patch that she is wearing under the body bandage that was used to relieve pain. She is walking around more and more. Still not drinking on her own so the syringe is always close by. Appitite this morning was so so. Is it a good sign if she gets a little fussy? Sheldon

Hi Sheldon, Wondering how the vet visit went. Did they apply a new pain patch after changing the body bandage? Those pain patches are pretty strong and could also be affecting her appetite. Cheering for Lacey!

We've had a rather busy day full of little wonders. Brought Lacey in to see the Vet for a post surgical check up. He was pleased with the results thus far. The pain patch was removed as well as the body bandage (she doesn't look like an armadillo anymore) and now she simply has something like a body stocking with a pair of holes in them for her front legs to go through, all around her. This covering should help provide some level of cleanliness to the surgical area in the underside areas of her body. The Vet suggested that when this gets dirty to replace it with a body sox with hole modification for the front legs, Does anyone know where a body stocking could be obtained or I'll simply take an athletic sox and cut some holes in it to fit. When we got home, Lacey began drinking out of her water bowl again. Hurray. She ate well too, but now I'll also start using her food bowl as well...Sheldon

My daughter commented that Lacey seemed to be more lively today after returning from the Vets office. Well she started to eat and drink on her own and is no longer in a body bandage. I must say that it looks as though the body sox she is wearing looks a little like a nightgown. Cute. We should be getting the pathology report tomorrow. Thank you all for your concern and messages regarding Lacey...Sheldon

I've got some good news that I would like to share with our IMOM family. Lacey seems to be doing better every day. Yesterday the pain patch and the body bandage she was wearing were removed. Almost immediately she started eating and drinking out of her bowls on her own; no more syringe for water. Even her appitite is improving. Today I again spoke to the Vet and got the biopsy results from the pathology report...NO cancer! All the nodules that were removed along with the mammary chain on her right side were benign. However, both the Pathologist and the Vet highly recommend that in three months she have the left mammary chain removed. They said that there is no guarantee that the existing nodules along the left mammary chain are not cancerous. I hate to put her through this again and I'd really like to hear back from those of you who have had their pets undergo this kind of major surgery. She's once again so lively and if another surgery would improve her life expectancy and quality of life, then that's a big plus for going through this again. But I welcome your comments...Sheldon

HURRAY for the amazing Lacey!

Sheldon, I am, by nature, a gamblin' type, but not doing the second surgery is not a gamble I would take.