Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Tammy L.

Sparky Fernandez

50 posts in this topic

Diagnosis: Severe Pancreatitis, Peritonitis, Uncontrolled Diabetes

Total amount needed:

$500 for Saturday- Pledged by IMOM

$489 for Sunday- Covered by Donations-UPDATED

$489 for Monday- Needed

$489 for Tuesday- Needed

Owner Contribution: None-Owner has exhausted all his funds

Neutered: Yes

Caseworker: Tammy

Sparky is a sweet little Blind 7 yr old Jack Russell Terrier. Unfortunately, Sparky is one very sick doggie. He was admitted to the hospital on 3/8 for Severe Pancreatitis, fever, vomiting and uncontrolled blood sugar.

Sparky must remain in the hospital to receive additional treatment and get his blood glucose under control.

Gary, Sparky's dad, has exhausted every dime he has, to pay for treatment thus far. He loves his little boy whom he rescued from a shelter. He was adopted out and returned several times before finding his forever home with Gary.

Right now Sparky is in danger of being sent home on Sunday if additional funds cannot be raised for each remaining day of treatment.

If treatment stops, Sparky will die.

Angels we really need your help. Any amount is welcome. Please spread the word far and wide about this pet in need.

If you can contribute to Sparky's life saving treatment, please visit our Donations page, scroll down to "A Specific Pet In Need", add your donation and in special instructions, designate your donation to -GF-"Sparky Fernandez"

Tammy-IMOM

Ladies and Gentleman, please meet Sparky

Edited by Tammy IMOM

I'm hoping that Sparky's dad is trying to post and tell us more about him -- like, is the diabetes newly diagnosed? Is it what caused his blindness?

As Tammy noted, Sparky's poor body is battling a LOT right now. I'm sure he feels crappy from unregulated diabetes. Then add pancreatitis (which usually involves vomiting) and peritonitis (infection, fever)..... :sad:

The estimates are very reasonable, considering how much care Sparky must be needing for these various conditions. By way of comparison, inpatient care at our referral hospital averages $1,000 a day -- and that's for cats. Dogs tend to be more expensive.

Can we make it today's priority to raise the $489 for Sparky's Sunday care? It's SO important for his treatment not to be interrupted at this point - esp. if the hospital's monitoring his blood glucose, giving him fluids so he doesn't get dehydrated from vomiting, etc. It would be terrible if he had to leave the hospital now.

Please donate if you can!

Thanks, Kim. We're trying to find out what the situation with Sparky and his dad is, too.

Cindy/IMOM

Hello, this is Gary, Sparky's dad. I aplogize. The last I heard was this forum was down and I would get a link to post on here. To answer a few questions about Sparky, his diabetes is not newly diagnosed. He has had it for almost two years now. I am also diabetic and we both take our shots st the same time. I lost my job on Monday and Sparky woke up sick on Tuesday. Right now we are trying to get him to eat on his own without the IV. If we can get that done, then the costs will go down considerably. I know Sparky real well and I know right now he is not eating because he is not home. Last night I was able to walk him around a little bit. The doctor this morning told me that he was staonding up in his cage, as opposed to laying down. He had been there since Tuesday and he has slowly made progress. Sparky is also blind. He was blind before the diabetes. Sparky is a fighter, he is a tough dog, but it breaks my heart to see him like this. I will check back on this forum regularly. I do apologize, like I said the last I heard, the forum was down and I was going to be sent a link, please post an y questions. I will stand by the computer. Thak you.

Gary, WELCOME...Sparky sounds like a WONDERFUL dog and I can see that you are a GREAT Dad...

I can see what you're saying about Sparky not eating while he is away from home...did the clinic let you try feeding him there? That would be GREAT if he would eat for you at the clinic. I know that you would be there to make sure he was getting his food...

IMOM is a great place and miracles happen every day...

My advice to you is to post all the time...even when people aren't asking questions...they are always reading...believe me...and from your first post I can see how much Sparky means to you...tell us all about that...about your life together...people will see that strong bond you have...

IMOM angels...let's take this ONE DAY AT A TIME...we need $489.00 for tomorrow....then we'll go from there...

I'll keep checking in to see how things are going...Judy

Edited by Judy

Hi Gary,

I will donate the $489.00 for Sunday to help keep your little boy on track. I'm with Judy in that it would be great if the clinic would have you try to feed Sparky while he's there. I'm sure that he would be more likely to eat for you than anyone else. I'm sure that he loves you very much and he knows how much you love him! It sounds like you two have quite the bond.

Pam

Hello, and thank you. Yes, last night they brought his usual WD wet food in a small plate. He wouldn't eat it. I ran home per doctors instructions and got him a bit of bologna to put on top of food. He didn't eat it. I out some in my hand and it looks like he was just about to and he withdrew. I think he is afraid to eat because he thinks he will throw up again. Sparky is an extremely smart dog and I was able to house train him very easily just for this reason, because he knows when to do something and when not to.

He has slowly made progress over thelast few days. I am going there in a bit to visit him, but I want to stay here to field any questions on this forum.

Sparky means the world to me. As a matter of fact, I have an appointment on the 21st with my doctor so I can get a letter from her to make Sparky my official companion dog. I wrote a little story about Sparky on my blog last night. It has been a very trying week what with the job loss and not Sparky being sick, but I am trying to remain focused and calm for Sparky. He looks like he is mad at me when I visit him, because I have spoiled him so much, he wants to be home. When the nurse trying to pick him up last night to put him in his cage, he tried to run. Below is the story I wrote last night on my blog, it is a little lengthy and I hope it will accept this in forum.

The title is My Best Friend

I wasn't going to write about my dog Sparky right now since he is still in the hospital. Although tonight he is feeling much better, I am still scared that I will get a phone call from the vet any minute now saying that he has taken a turn for the worst. It seems like they drove that point to me over and over again, that Sparky could die, as if they wanted to put that in my head, as if it would soften the blow if he did. I wasn't about to listen to them. I was mad at them for even trying to put that in my head. They don't know Sparky like I do. To them, he is just another sick animal that has walked through their door, to me, Sparky is my pal, and we are really in tune with each other on more than just a master/dog level.

A few years ago, I bought a mobile home that I bought for cheap. My intentions at first was to live in it as the space rent was cheap, $300 a month and rent controlled. I had these visions of saving up my money toward retirement and fulfilling my dream of roaming the earth on my motorcycle in my retirement age.

Those visions were soon dashed as I realized, I am not the trailer type. It was in a single wide trailer and I felt like I was living in a coffin. It had a nice screened in porch, which we call a California room out here, but that's about as nice as it became. The neighbors were nosey busy bodies and/or crack heads. Eventually I decided to refurbish it and sell it and get out of that neighborhood. I did.

But before I moved into that aluminum palace, I thought to myself that it would be great to have a dog. I hadn't had one in years since I lived mostly in apartments, and I felt now I will have a nice California room and a small yard.

I went on Craigslist and sifted through the ads and found an ad for a terrier. Her name was Ruby. The owners were giving her up because the wife was going to have a baby and they didn't know how the dog would react to the baby, so they decided to give Ruby up. Ruby was cool, but we really never clicked all that well. She didn't like sleeping with me (not many do, hahaha) she would always sleep at the foot of the bed and never came any closer to me. She didn't like to play much either. All in all, I liked Ruby, but she was just, well, kind of boring.

Eventually, I found out while visiting my sister and her kids (my nephew and nieces) that it turned out Ruby did not like small kids. I mean REALLY did not like small kids. As kids like to do, they see a dog and they want to pet them, it broke my heart to tell these kids they couldn't pet Ruby, because Ruby wanted to bite them. I mean she went really nuts when she saw small kids.

The trailer park I lived in had a lot of kids and I thought if ever Ruby escaped and a kid tried to pet her, there would be big trouble. So I gave Ruby to a friend of mine who was married and had other dogs and had no kids and did not plan on having kids. Subsequently, he gave Ruby to his nephew as a present and Ruby currently resides happily in Arizona. She is doing well, she was a nice dog, just not all the time. I figured she must have been abused by kids at some point and at that time I visited my sister quite often and saw my nieces and nephews and I just couldn't chance their being any problems.

A month later, I got the "get a dog" bug thing again. This time, I decided not to do Craigslist and go to a shelter. There are so many cool animals that need a forever home at the shelter. Besides, Craigslist was starting to get a bad reputation for people running puppy mills and putting their dogs on there. They have since tightened down on it.

I remember going to one shelter and not seeing anything spectacular, or really, nothing that just grabbed me or my attention. I went to another shelter and asked to interact with one dog but he was so boring, I told them to put him back. I walked down the aisles and I saw this cute little Jack Russell mix and he stood out to me right away. All the other dogs were lying down in their kennels looking bored or barking their heads off. This little guy was standing on his water dish and wiggling his tail real hard. I asked him to come to the front so I could see him closer, but he wouldn't come. He just stood there on top of his dish looking at me. I wrote down the info that was on his cage and went to the office to inquire about him.

His name was Sparky. He had been adopted 3 times and given up for different reasons, which they couldn't tell me why, except to tell me he didn't like big dogs. I thought no problem, as long as it wasn't little kids or other humans for that matter. I asked to interact with him and they brought him out. Sparky couldn't sit still to save his life. He kept bouncing back and forth and peeing. The guy who brought him out to me told me he likes to pee a lot but it could be because he just got fixed. The only other info I had on Sparky was that he ran away from his last adopters and they called the adopters because he was chipped, but they never came and got him. Fate.

When the guy told me that he peed a lot, I almost didn't get him. I like a clean house. I mean obsession-style clean. And though I realize a dog will mess once in a while, I had visions of coming home from work and seeing a big mess every day. I wasn't happy with that thought at all. And I am not a cat person. Don't mean to alienate cat people, but they are too independent. What's the point.

But for some reason, this little guy still held my interest. While still interacting with him, I tried to pick him up and hold him to see how affectionate he could be, he wasn't having it. He jumped off right away. I wanted a dog for companionship, and it would have to be somewhat affectionate I thought, otherwise, I could just buy a toy dog and put him in the corner. This guy wasn't affectionate at all, but still again, for some reason, he just held my attention. I told the guy that brought him out that I was done and thanked him. I said goodbye to Sparky. But when I looked back to look at him again, he looked back at me too. I was done. I had to have him.

I went to the office and hoped and prayed that no one else was on the list that wanted him. There wasn't. I was shocked. He was the cutest one there at the time. I told them I was interested and they gave me the applications and went through the red tape with them and they told me he would be ready in two days to pick up, he had to have a final medical exam.

Two days later, I was working and it turned out to be a long day. I barely got off in time to drive down to the shelter in my work truck and pick him up. I was so happy that day. So was Sparky. I put him in my truck and the whole way home he insisted on standing on my lap while I drove. I wanted to shoo him off at first as traffic was pretty bad and he was in my way of being able to steer freely and able to react in case of emergency. But I didn't', I just drove in the right lane and slower all the way home. He wanted to do what he wanted to do.

Can't remember much about our first night together, but I remember that like Ruby, he didn't want to sleep with me. He wanted to sleep on the floor at first and I finally got him to sleep at the foot of the bed. He slept that way for about two months. What I do remember the most is when I had to go to work the next day. I put Sparky in the California room with a blanket, his food, water and toys so he could be in the fresh air at least and not enclosed. I went to work and about an hour later I get called by one of the groundskeepers that Sparky had run away and he was holding him for me until I got back.

When I got home, I saw a huge hole in the screen of the California room where he escaped. I went to go get him and then I scolded him about the hole in the screen. He understood. I moved an old dresser against the screen to cover it up until I could repair it the coming weekend and we went to sleep.

Went to work the next day as usual, and again, an hour later got another call from the same guy. Sparky had run away again. I was getting angry at this point. When I went home, it seemed that he had found a way to climb on top of the dresser and make another hole and went out through there. I couldn't figure out why he kept running away. He had it good. Good food, a decent place, toys, a comfortable bed...I thought maybe he just wasn't the dog for me. Went to home depot and got this plastic fence like material and I stapled it all around the room and took things away he could climb on. The next day, no phone calls. And he was waiting for me and he looked mad. :) I got him.

Then I started thinking, maybe it was me. I mean, I got this dog, but I hadn't showed him any affection yet. I was waiting for him to start showing affection and maybe he was waiting for me to show him affection. I finally realized that he had been adopted and given up so many times, that he didn't want to make an emotional investment in me. He was waiting for me to start the relationship. So over the course of the next couple of months, I spent almost every waking moment that I didn't have to work, forging a relationship with him.

When I first got him, if he got off the leash, he would run and run quick. Boy, that dog could really run. And I would have to get my bicycle and go look for him. One night I took the trash out and he saw his chance and he bolted out the door. I had to get in my car and it took me a better part of 2 hours to find him. I truly thought of taking him back to the shelter. I had patience to train the dog, but the hell if I was going to spend most of my nights trying to find him.

Like I said though, after a good 2 to 3 months of being with him, I finally got to the point where I could let him off the leash because he liked to run and I could say "stop" and he would come to a dead stop until I caught up with him. He didn't run away anymore and he started sleeping with me, on the pillow next to me. He finally come to realize that I wasn't going to leave him. I wasn't going to give him up. We made an unspoken deal with each other and his affection toward me was slowly starting to become apparent where when I came home from work he would jump all over me and greet me like only a dog could do.

I remember one time as a plumber, I was on-call that night, nature of the business. Generally when I am on-call, I don't cook, I just grab something already made because you never knew when you were going to get called out. I called for pizza delivery that night and it just so happened that almost as soon as the pizza got there, I got called out. I was pissed. I got dressed in my uniform real quick, grabbed a slice of pizza, put the pizza on the counter and got in my truck and went to the job it was a long job and I didn't get home until 1am. The whole time coming back home, I could only think about two things: one, that the dog didn't mess in my place while I was gone and two, thinking about how good that pizza was going to be when I got home. When I walked in, I was happy that I didn't smell any surprises left by the dog, didn't even see any wet spots on my carpet. What I did see on my carpet was a pizza box. An empty pizza box. And Sparky laying on the couch PRETENDING to be asleep. I say pretending because usually he would jump for joy when I came in, all I could do when I saw the empty pizza box was gasp and he opened one eye and looked at me and closed the eye right away. He had found a way to get on the high counter and nab my pizza. I was so damn hungry. That bonehead didn't even leave a single crumb for me. I got mad at him and put him in the bathtub. That's where I would put Sparky when he did something wrong. Put him in the tub (empty of course) for like 5 minutes and close the door. It got to a point when I got mad at him that all I had to do was yell his name and tell him to "go" and he would automatically go to the tub and climb in himself.

Another night, I came home from work and was truly exhausted, but I looked forward to making me this nice NY Strip steak. I love steak. And NY Strip I like the most because it's the juiciest, although not the best fat wise. I just finished cooking my meal and put the plate on the coffee table when some kid knocked on my door to sell me something. I forget what it was, but it prompted me that weekend to get a "No Soliciting" sign and stuck it on my door, and I will tell you why. Because after I told that kid I wasn't interested, and it took all of about 2 minutes for him to give me his spiel and for me to say no, but when I turned around to sink my teeth into that beautiful piece of steak, it was gone. Gone like the wind brother. And so was Sparky. I found him in the bathtub. At least he left me the veggies. But I was so mad, that I went to the store and got me another steak and he had the audacity to stare at me while I ate mine like he wanted some of it. Please. :) Just a note, I do not give Sparky food scraps, but he had a way of stealing them. I eventually out a lid on it. I fugured that was all he ate when he was at the other homes.

Sparky is one of the most smartest, lovable, affectionate dogs I have ever seen. We grew real close. Aside from stealing my food, he respected me and I respected him. There were days when it poured crazy rain outside and wished I didn't have a dog because I had to take him out. Or when I was sick and had to get up to feed him or take him out, and some days I would be in such a bad mood from work or other personal problems that I just pushed him away from me, I didn't want him anywhere near me, when in fact, I probably just needed him more.

Most dog owners will tell you that their dogs are in tune with their owners emotions and know when to stay away and when not to stay away. Sparky seemed like when I was sad and wanted to be alone, he wanted to be their right next to me. When I was angry at something from the day, he wanted my attention and to be right next to me. It was irritating at first, but then it came that I looked forward to it.

A couple of years after I got Sparky, I came home from work and he was nowhere to be found. He didn't run up to me like usual and I immediately panicked thinking he was sick or ran away somehow. I found him cowering in the corner of the bathroom and he was shaking. I was confused. I called him and he didn't want to come. I was really confused and freaking out. When he finally walked toward me, he kept bumping into things. He had gone blind. Just like that. When I went to work that morning, he was fine, when I came back, he was blind. I rushed him to the hospital and they confirmed he just went blind, just like that. I was shocked. As he was also. I would look at him that night, and I must confess, I held him and started to cry and it really looked like he was also. But I wasn't going to give him up because of this, no way. Sparky was a fighter, and so was I, then.

About a month or so afterwards, I noticed he started drinking a lot of water and subsequently almost peeing it out right away. It was hot out to be certain, but the next day he was still doing this and it reminded me of when I was doing it when I was diagnosed as diabetic. I took Sparky to the vet and they confirmed he was diabetic. The vet told me I had to make a decision because I would have to commit to taking care of a chronically ill and blind animal and that I should think carefully whether I wanted to. I thought for about 2 seconds, and I said hell yeah, I am not going to give him up because he is sick. I loved him so much, that there was no way in hell I was going to do that. Still, it was sad to think that he wouldn't be running like he used to or playing fetch. The first few months of blindness was bad, he would bump into things, but eventually he honed his sense of smell and hearing so well, that he can now know when my friend Phyllis is pulling up in her car. He can distinguish somehow the sound of her car from others and know it is her coming and he starts wagging his tail. Tonight when I visited him, I ran home to get something and came back and through the glass of the waiting room, I was told he heard my car and his ears perked up. That's how attune he is to sounds and smells now.

I am sure he is not happy he is blind, but he has made amends and heightened his other senses to compensate. It just makes him that much more smarter.

As I sit here tonight, the fourth night without him as he is still in the hospital, I think of him and sometimes a tear comes to my eye, but I know he is a fighter and doesn't want me to cry and think he will die. He wants me to do what HE has always done, and that is get next to him and cuddle with him when times are bad. And so today when I went to visit him earlier by myself, I got on the floor of the visiting room and laid next to him. He rested his head on my arm and for a whole hour we just stared at each other. I told him to hang in there and that I would come to get him soon. He didn't blink the whole time. He just stared at me as if to say, I'm coming back, don't give up on me. And I promised him I wouldn't. From the day I got him from the shelter, I made him that promise. Through the days he escaped and made me search for him night after night after night, I made him that promise, and because I did, I have someone who was stuck by me and never abandoned me, ever. No matter what mood I was in. And in turn, I have never abandoned him nor will I.

To most people on the street, when I walk my dog. I am invisible. I am just another dude walking another mutt. Another master walking his dog. When in reality it's just two good old friends walking side by side with each other and trying to tough out this life together. No matter what cards were dealt to Sparky, he hung on. He has taught ME a lesson, a trick. That no matter what you get served, you hang on. You hang on and tomorrow is another day, another chance to make things right and for things to go right. There were days that I dreaded having to get up and walk him in the rain. But that's gone now. I would give anything to be with him tonight, I am sure he would do anything to be with me. The night he went blind and we cried together, we understood what we meant to each other. I was crying because he went blind and I felt bad for him. He was crying because he knew he would never get to see my face anymore. The face of his best friend. And later I understood what that meant to him. But he still knows when I cry, and he is there right next to me as always. See, me and Sparky were destined for each other. Ruby had to go to make room for Sparky. And those other people that adopted him had to let him go for me. Because me and Sparky have at least one thing in common, we were abandoned by those we thought loved us, over and over again. And when we first got together, he didn't want to make the first affectionate move and neither did I. I waited for him and he waited for me. He won that game and I finally gave him affection and in turn, he stopped running away. He knew at that point that I was in it for the long haul, through good times and bad times. And that's why I hurt so much right now. This is a bad time. If he could, I am sure he would runaway. I have been dreaming lately that I open my door in the mornings and find Sparky there waiting for me. I wouldn't put it past him, he is, after all, my best friend.

I love you, Sparky, Please come home soon and stay well. I need you, baby boy. Hang in there, you will make it. We will together. I will never leave you, I promise.

Gary

Thank you, Pam. It made me tear up to read your post. Thank you thank you! I am going to go see him in a munute. But I want to stay here a lillte longer in case there are more questions. I don't mind giving out my cell number if anyone has any questions it is XXX-XXX-XXXX. It will be on mute when I visit him, but I will check it. Thank you much, Pam.

Edited by Tammy IMOM
Phone Number Deleted

Gary....how sweet of you to want to stay on the forum but if you think a visit with Sparky will help him eat...just make a post that you are going to visit your boy and you'll check in as soon as you get back...no one is going to think you shouldn't, believe me...

I don't know if Sparky can have anything in his cage or not...but how about bringing a tee shirt or a towel with your scent on it so he knows you are with him...that might be very comforting to him...and you can know that he's more content...bring it along with you and ask the clinic if it's OK to leave it with Sparky...

Hoping he will eat some for you tonight...Judy

Hi Gary,

I'm so sorry to hear about your little buddy Sparky. I just wanted you to know that both of you are in my thoughts and prayers. Your stories of Sparky made me tear up. You are truly meant for each other. Hang in there and tell Sparky to fight like he's never fought before! I am sending you a small donation. Take care :)

Rosalee

Thank you, Judy. I brought one of his toys last night. When things were better with me, he would stay at that place when I travelled by air. And I would leave a shirt behind and I would never get it back and they could never find it. I got mad that they could never find it. I couldn't leave him at Petco or places like that because they do not have people that can give him shots, so I had to leave him at the hospital. A year or so ago, my nephew died in a car crash. Sparky was really, really close to him and when I had to travel to the East coast, I left Sparky with a shirt of his I had in my closet with his scent. When I came back, they had lost it and couldn't find it. I was angry, but I was more sad because that was the only shirt I had of Paul and Sparky really was close to him. I don't mind losing a shirt, but that they are so careless makes me mad. But he has a toy that we both play with a lot.

Hey one more thing, hey neighbor. You have a 619 number. You're here in in SD. Nice to see IMOM helping out one of our locals.

R.

Hi, yes! I am in El Cajon!

Wow so close just minutes away! I'm here in Spring Valley :) Small world.

Wow, really close! He is at Animal Medical Center in El Cajon at Broadway and Mollison. I live right around the corner. I am going there now and bring a little bologna to entice him to eat. I think, knowing Sparky, he is putting me on notice, that he won't eat unless I bring him home. I know that sounds weird, but trust me, this dog is so smart, he can be quite a con artist :) He should have been named bandit. When I walked him a bit yesterday, he knows the scent of my car and starting to head to it, he thought we were going home. I told him not tonite, but he wouldn't move away from the car and just looked at me with his little eyes. I had to fnally pick him up and walk him away from the car :) When the nurse came to get him after our visit, he didn't want to leave me and when the nurse bent down to get him, he ran :) That's my baby! I will post an update in a bit when I get back. God bless all you guys, money help or not!

I am thrilled to post we have enough donations to cover Sparky's continued treatment and care on Sunday!!!

We have received $529 so far

Angels you are all wonderful, thank you so much for making this happen.

:thanks3:

Let's get this boy the remaining 2 days of treatment he needs!!

Dig in those couch cushions, raid those piggy banks and skip that fancy coffee, we can do this for Sparky.

Tammy-IMOM

Good news on Sparky! Just came back from hospital. He is responding much better. I brought him some chicken and he ate it!!! :) I spoke with the doctor and they think he can be released tommorow night with some meds to take home. I will need $350 more to be able to get him home. He was so happy to see me. You can tell he really hates it there, he has been there since Tuesday. The doctors think he can go home tommorow night but I will have a lot of work ahead of me monitoring his blood and some other things! Not a poblm, I will go to the ends of the earth for this dog. So, please, we need only $350 more. Please help. Read my story on Sparky above, you will see he is a great, great doggie who needs another chance. Thank you very, very much!!!

MOM is waiting to hear from Animal Medical Center for a final exact total of how much funds are needed for Sparky, now that it appears he is getting better faster than expected and will be released sooner than anticipated.

We will post an update as soon as we know.

Thank you all to have pledged so far, without you we couldn't make this happen.

Tammy-IMOM

received another donation just now from Cynthia at an organization is San Diego who helps sick dogs that came from shelters. She had given $100 now all we need is $250 more to bring my baby back home! :)

Penny Adams for the Foundation for Indegent Animals is pretty sure she can put the last $250 in, so let's hold off on anymore donations for now. I think we are out of the woods. Worst case scenario, I can try and make a payment plan for the last $250, they should help me after all this. Let's keep our fingers crossed and I am beyond grateful for all that you guys have done. It's been a very exhausting week. I will always remember this and when I gett healthy again I will help as I have been helped. Thank you!

Here come the :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

You did it Angels, Sparky has reached all funds raised! He will receive the final treatment he needs and then he can go home!

Moving on over to ALL FUNDS RAISED :dogsled:

All of us at IMOM cannot thank our donors enough for your amazing generosity. We can only do this because of you!

Tammy-IMOM

I am truly blessed. Thanks to everyone that has come through! And those who could even only offer prayers, it's worth it's weight in gold. I will never forget this generosity and neither will my baby Sparky! Truly he is an amazing dog, a survivor! He's been dealt with a lot of bad blows, but he just picks himself back up and gets right next to me. He knows we need each other and he knew it wasn't time to leave me yet! Much love to all of you!!!! :)

It's1 a.m. here and as usual this week. I cannot sleep. I am still so overwhelmed by the support I got from the generous people of Imom and the thoughts and prayers from everyone. It meant and still means so much to me. I will not have a good nights rest until Sparky is by my side. I can't wait to take him to doggie park when he is 100%. I like watching him at doggie park, walk around and playing with other dogs. Even being blind, Sparky is still good at chasing and playing with other dogs. He is just not very good at fetch :) I play fetch with him sometimes at home, but I throw the object against the wall first so he can hear where it's at. He is still very good at finding the object. Of course, if I have a treat in my hand and throw it, he will ALWAYS find it right away :)

He is very non-agressive toward other dogs. For some reason, he just doesn't like large dogs. Not sure where that came from, but dogs his size and smaller, he is very friendly to. I watch him play at the park and I feel like a daddy watching my little boy play with others. And I like how others dog treat him so kind knowing or even not knowing he is blind. He is a very mellow, gentle dog.

I hope you don't get bored with my writing about him. I have to find an outlet for my sadness. But happy days are just right around the corner. Sparky rebounded fairly quickly than expected. The key was to get him to eat and thanks to my friend Phyllis who also loves Sparky like crazy, we were able to get him to eat. But also, all this week I visited him twice a day. I would have more, but this place is very busy and the rooms are scarce and I didn't want to hog the room up much so others could visit their pets, even though I would spend an hour or more with Sparky. I like to think he rebounded so quick because I laid with him on the floor and talked to him and told him to hang on, be strong and fight. I kissed him alot and held him and talked and talked and talked to him. Even once sang to him. I know, some may think I am bonkers, but I truly think animals are not dumb, they know. They know what you are saying through voice inflections. I even taught Sparky a little Spanish, a few commands and some nice words. He loves going on my motorcycle also. I have a rack on the back and I put a milk crate securely on there and put Sparky in the milk crate and tied him down a bit. I would only go locally like to the dog park, but he never feared the motorcycle ride. He loved it. I would look in my side mirror (mainly to make sure he was still there hahaha) and I could see his face with the wind blowing his big ears around. He loves it! Last March, I drove to the Denver area to see my mom for her 70th birthday and of course, Sparky came.

We got stranded by a snow storm in New Mexico and we had to pull over and take a motel for the night. Sparky has always been a California dog and I took him out in the snow after we settled. of course, being blind and in the snow for the first time was so funny to watch. The snow was pretty high and almost covered him. But toward the end of the night, he eneded up loving the snow (and making it yellow, ha!) That trip was not very good as the car broke down 200 miles until our destination and had to stay at another hotel. Had to walk quite a bit from the broken down car to the hotel and he took it well. He slept good that night.

Sometimes I stare at him and I wonder with his diabetes just how long he's got. i don't want to think about it, but sometimes I do. And I wish that me and with my diabetes, I wish I would go first so I don't have to see him die. This illness has really brought it back to the surface for me. I will have to spend more time working on his diabetes and his diet. Not a problem. I am comitted to making him well and live longer than me.

I can't wait until he comes home. I can chase him around the apartment with the vacuum cleaner again :) When me and my friend have dinner at the table, we even set a place for Sparky. He has his own chair, and we put a place mat down and his bowl of food and he eats with us at the table like he is one of us. No silverware of course :) He always finishes first and then he looks back and forth at us like he wants our dinner too. If that fails, then he gets down the chair and under the table and waits for food to fall! He always thinks he's gonna get some of our food, and he will follow me around while I clear the table, once he hears the water running in the kitchen, he knows I am doing the dishes and that his chances at this point are slim to none and he finally walks away.

When I first got him, I had a trash can in the kitchen and I would come home from work and the can would be knocked over and trash all over the place.LOL!!! Since the can was too tall to put under the sink, I placed a brick on top of the lid. The next day, the trash can was knocked over again and trash all over the place. I went to Wal-Mart and got a smaller can to put under the sink. That ended that! LOL!

Can't wait to take him to the park. He is so good with other dogs and doesn't bother them. A lot of times he just goes off by himself. reminds me of me when I was a kid. Then once in a while he will come back to the bench to see me and I guess he worries that I am lonely but then I tell him to go play and he happily trots off. He just comes to see daddy and make sure daddy is alright. Then after our park, we get back on the motorcycle I will take the long way home so he can enjoy the ride.

Once in awhile, I play hide and seek with him. I will hide and call his name and see how long it takes for him to sniff me out :) He is really good, but sometimes I make it hard and stand in the bathtub where he can't sniff me out so quickly and I will watch him walk all over the place watching him look for me. I finally give up and give him a treat and we sit and watch tv.

Thank you again people, for all your help. As a loaner, this little guy has been all I have sometimes, all I want. When humans let me down, I know he won't. I know I am not alone here. There are other people like me. But I gotta think, there is only one Sparky! Thanks for reading!

Gary,

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading about you and Sparky. I think everyone in our community can relate to the bond the two of you have. It is a very special gift - only understood by those of us who have bonded with out pet/s. I feel sorry for people who have never had that experience in life.

Give Sparky some gentle hugs from his friends at IMOM.

:magicmoon: