Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jacki IMOM

I'm so frustrated!

40 posts in this topic

Oh, I hear ya! I have (or rather, HAD) a friend who has a cat that keeps getting into fights because he never got it fixed in the first place, and now he has a nasty infection from one of the fights that they don't have the money to treat. When they found out what I was doing with you guys, he started looking into the same thing only to discover that most financial places won't help irresponsible pet owners who don't fix their animals. he STILL won't get his cat fixed and why? Because he doesn't want to "Take away his cat's manhood and sense of self" I was SO disgusted that he was basically condemning his companion to suffer solely for the purpose of projecting his own ego and masculinity complexes onto him!

I don't know if someone already posted this, maybe they have and if so, sorry for repeating it. It's not just a higher risk for cancer in male dogs but also they are at a much higher risk for getting a swollen prostate which can lead to urinary blockages, polyps in the colon, detachment of the bladder, all kinds of serious issues. If you're not a breeder who is well to do and can get your animals immediate medical attention if/when they need it, then it's demonstrably irresponsible to not spay and neuter your pets.

I've had people smart off before about when you neuter a dog (or cat) "Then it's not a "he" it's an "it"." And again the point is "Are you going to breed this dog/cat regularly? Do you have enough money to cover any and all health problems which might occur during the entire course of his/her natural life?" If the answer to either of those questions is no then there is literally no reason not to have them spayed and neutered. It's the animal that might wind up suffering needlessly based on your decision down the road.

I am in the process of trying to get my neighbor's Chihuahua's speutered. They have moved and left the Chi's behind. A very generous donor gave $10K to my local low-cost clinic. Because I am on SSDI, I can get the neighbor's Chi's speutered for free. There is a total of 11 Chi's there. Neighbor's are claiming they want 3 of them but I seriously doubt they will take any of them. So I am getting them all fixed over the next couple of months. The only one that the clinic won't do is the older male and only because he will need pre-surgical bloodwork and there is a good possibility he is HW positive. I wish the S/N program was active here because I would ask for help for just this one Chi. He is the daddy to most of the other ones. I can't afford to take him to my own vet for this as the cost will be close to $200. So, I am going to see if any vets in my area will drastically reduce their prices when they find out what I am trying to accomplish.

These Chi's will be speutered, UTD on their rabies shot and HW tested. I am working with a local rescue group trying to find adoptive/foster homes for these Chi's. They deserve a much better life than what they've had so far.

Please wish me luck. :) I don't want them going to the shelter.

I am in the process of trying to get my neighbor's Chihuahua's speutered. They have moved and left the Chi's behind. A very generous donor gave $10K to my local low-cost clinic. Because I am on SSDI, I can get the neighbor's Chi's speutered for free. There is a total of 11 Chi's there. Neighbor's are claiming they want 3 of them but I seriously doubt they will take any of them. So I am getting them all fixed over the next couple of months. The only one that the clinic won't do is the older male and only because he will need pre-surgical bloodwork and there is a good possibility he is HW positive. I wish the S/N program was active here because I would ask for help for just this one Chi. He is the daddy to most of the other ones. I can't afford to take him to my own vet for this as the cost will be close to $200. So, I am going to see if any vets in my area will drastically reduce their prices when they find out what I am trying to accomplish.

These Chi's will be speutered, UTD on their rabies shot and HW tested. I am working with a local rescue group trying to find adoptive/foster homes for these Chi's. They deserve a much better life than what they've had so far.

Please wish me luck. :) I don't want them going to the shelter.

Hi Kat: They left them behind and then suggest they still want 3, or do you mean other neighbors might want to adopt 3? Even though IMOM's spay/neuter fund isn't a specific break out fund anymore, the HW positive status could be considered life threatening, if the diagnosis could be confirmed by the bloodwork. Given the outside environment and climate, the HW status would not be surprising.

Please keep us updated on the search for veterinarians willing to cut you a break with the circumstances. You're truly an angel for these chis, and the neighbor moving and leaving them is the start of a wonderful new life for them.

I sure am hoping this is the start of a great new life for them. The owners of the Chi's say they want 3 of them. One of the 3 they want is staying at my house right now. In my mind, possession is 9/10ths of the law so they will have a hard time getting her from me.

They have not been to their house in quite a while now. I told them a few days before Christmas that they needed food and they still have not brought any. I bought them a bag and the rescue group brought me a bag so we're covered on food. The rescue group told me to contact them if I need more. The bad thing about this group is that they don't accept animals from the ouside because they only rescue animals off the "E" list at the shelter. But they are going out of their way to help me, and they are a fairly new group, so I can live with that. I am just a bit overwhelmed right now between taking care of my crew and trying to take care of 11 additional dogs. It doesn't help that I have MS either but I will do all I can.

Chances are more than 1 of them are HW+ but I am hoping and praying for a miracle. It really irks me that these dogs were never properly taken care of. And alot of this could have been prevented if they would have gotten the one male fixed. Now there are 11 and if this whole situation wouldn't have happened, it would just continue.

I don't even know if I am breaking any law in doing this but at this point I don't really care. If animal control were to get involved, the neighbors would be heavily fined I am sure.

I just am hoping for a great outcome when all is said and done. I hate irresponsible pet owners.

If they left them behind and moved then you're not breaking any laws by rescuing them and feeding them, technically the dogs now belong to you. If they wanted to dispute that then it's a civil matter in where they'd have to sue you for ownership and prove that they in fact own those dogs which can be tricky and is a drawn out process.

Quick story; when I was about ten or so I had a pure bred (with papers) rottweiler, I then got a little female puppy to go with him. My mother let my adult cousin and his girlfriend stay with us for about a month and when they moved out he stole the puppy from the backyard and bolted when he left. After talking to lawyers and police they said it was a civil matter and could take a year or more (Which by then those idiots would have ruined the dog by not training her..). There was little we could do and didn't even know where he went. (Yes I know, it's a terrible story. And yes if I ran in to him today I'd probably beat the snot out of him.)

So if these negligent people wouldn't even pay to feed their dogs then I doubt they'd spend the money on filing fees, potentially retaining a lawyer and attempting to sue you when they would most likely lose anyway.

I wouldn't give those people any of the dogs back under any circumstances. If they show up and harass you then call the police and say they're threatening and harassing you. They'd probably have a better shot at a decent life at an animal shelter than they would would owners like that. It's a noble thing you're trying to do, even more so given your situation.

Technically, they are not totally moved out. They are still getting mail there (I bring it in). But I know each state has different laws and I am sure if I was taken to court, I would win. I am trying to keep everything on a civil level with them because it's easier on me. I haven't spoken to them in a week or so and probably won't speak to them anytime in the near future.

I am just amazed that people could just leave animals behind like this. They know I am tending to them. They also know that no matter what, I would get them food. It's a catch-22 situation because all they have to have is food, water and shelter. Well they have food and water because I give it to them. I was told I would have to stop feeding/watering them, call Animal Control after a couple of days and they would seize them. I cannot not feed and water them. These Chi's are not real social either. I am their only human contact. It is a sad, sad situation that has been going on for a long time. I've never really been able to help them like this before. I have done what I could but I was limited because their owners were there. Now the owners are not.

I am thankful that I have a rescue group helping me. I know if they went to the shelter here, they would be euthanized. And yes, I know in some situations that's the kindest thing to do but these Chi's deserve a home where they will be well taken care of and loved. And I will do my absolute best to try to make that happen for them. Hopefully I will succeed.

stopping in for any updates. I wish the laws from state to state were a little more consistent in terms of whether the owner's departure would be considered abandonment and animal cruelty should they try to reclaim the ones they want ; just assuming someone will feed and care for them. I know what I'd like to do :bitchslap2: 'cause these are living, breathing creatures deserving of care and comfort.

Are u taking in their mail at their request?

Update!!

One of the rescues here is taking the mama with her young pups and all the other puppies. They have found foster homes for them. I am supposed to take them to the rescue on Monday. Now I just have 2 adult females, 1 "teenage" pup and an older male (the dad to most of the other pups) to find homes for. I also have spay/neuter appointments set but have to juggle who is going on what day now because the rescue that is taking the pups, and the mama and young pups will have them speutered. This rescue has been such a blessing for me. I told them when all is said and done, I will donate my time in order to try to repay them.

This past Thursday I went to the rescue as they gave me some blankets to use to help keep these dogs warm as my neighbors had their electrictiy turned off so no heat for the dogs even though they are inside at night. They were quite busy so I got a chance to visit all the animals they had for adoption there. I am amazed at this rescue.

I actually saw my neighbors yesterday and told them what was happening and did not pull any punches with them. I told them that "someone" could turn them in for abandonment and/or cruelty. The husband told me he was fine with what I was doing. He did tell me he wanted to keep a couple and I told him that IF I let him (highly doubtful) they could NOT take any before I could get them in to be speutered, HW tested and get their rabies shot or I would turn them in.

They want to take the long haired one that is at my house right now (Lola) but possession is 9/10ths of the law. She has her spay appt on Jan 17th. As long as I can keep her until then (trust me, I will keep her), then I will have paperwork with my name on it which will PROVE she belongs to me. :) This little girl is so sweet. She would rather get loved on instead of eating. That speaks volumes. She carries my croc shoes all around with her and tries to actually get inside them and sleep. She also keeps Peanut (the new name for the boy pup) company at night since he is penned in the laundry room. They both sleep in their bed under the blanket all cuddled up together. My husband said that he wants to call the new pup TT for Tiny Terror but I told him he needs to learn one name first. My husband is a nut sometimes....lol. He wanted his proper name to be P. Nutless but I told him no way on that one.

I am taking in their mail just to be nice. I think they had their address changed on alot of their mail because it seems like they are only getting junk mail lately.

Hopefully there will be more good updates to come.

Update #2

The mama and the young pups went to a foster home today. Unfortunately the mama is HW + but the rescue will take care of treatment. I did get to meet the foster mom and the mama dog was letting the foster pet her.

The two younger female pups also went to a foster home today. I didn't get to meet the foster mom for them.

Tomorrow the oldest male gets to go to foster. I am sure he is probably HW+ also.

The rest will be in foster homes by the end of next week.

The "owners" didn't care. I, on the other hand, cried my eyes out. I know this is best for the Chihuahuas but I will miss them. I was told that I can call the rescue to find out how the Chi's are adjusting. I am sure I will call them in a week or so.

I hope the "owners" of the Chi's never ever get another dog.

I had no idea these resources existed until today. I just found you all. I will put this info out on my facebook. Thanks for caring as you do about our helpless, dependant fur babies. April

There are pet parents like myself who want to get their dog spayed, but do not have the funds. Here in San Antonio apparently I live in the wrong zip code to be able to have it done free, and when I am barely able to put food on the table and in the bowl so to speak there is no way I can afford to pay the $100 that they want to cover the reduced fee of having it done. Even then the hurddles are insane. Get up to meet the mobile clinic by 7. Your name gets placed in a "lotto" and you have to remain on site with your dog just incase you get picked. I have a special needs child. I cannot sit in a parking lot of our local shopping center for hours hoping that we get picked.

My cats are spayed and neutered as are my dogs. There are some community/feral cats (4 or 5) I have been feeding on top of a shed in my backyard and I want to get them spayed and neutered but I cannot afford to (I am currently in a training internship without pay). At least two of the cats have allowed me to pet them and one a female has allowed me to hold her. Do you offer assistance for this? There is a Veterinarian out here In Moreno Valley, CA (I live in Corona, CA) that my sister used for her cat Smokey (IMOM helped with his surgery) and his rates are very low only 25 for male cats and 35 for females. the additional fees would apply if cat is in heat or pregnant.

Feline Heat $5.00

Feline Preg (1st stage)$25.00

Feline Preg (2nd stage)$50.00

Feline Preg (3rd stage)$150.00 and up

Vaccinations for Cats

FVRCP $12.50

FIP $18.50

LEUKOC $16.50

RABIES $9.50

This is the link to their service fees page.

http://www.sunnymeadveterinaryclinic.com/services-morneo-valley-ca

These aren't my cats but I know controlling the cat population is important as is their health. Please advise and thank you!

BabyGirlCat.jpg

Jackie: The old adage of....."you can lead a horse to water, but can't make him drink" applies here. I work with The TNR Project in Monrovia and we have a vanpool that goes to FixNation twice a week. We train people, register people, give them a free ride, help with traps and they STILL don't get their cats done. They beg us for help, so we help them. They don't hold food or they "forget"...thereby wasting our time and ultimately, it's the cats that suffer! SOOOO frustrating! We always ask ourselves...."how can we make this easier for people"? I don't think it matters....I don't know if they're lazy, some are worried b/c they're illegal, some feel like it's too much work....I don't get it. Those of us who have fixed colonies of cats and seen the benefits....talk about INSTANT GRATIFICATION!!! That's my favorite....when I pull 2 late nights in a row to get a colony of 15-40 cats/kittens. There's nothing like it and it's MY rush! All we can do is keep it up, spread the word, try to help others and ultimately help ourselves and any kitties within our reach. That's how I sleep at night. I do have hope though....more and more, people ask me "what's TNR"? I'm only too happy to explain and email them the registration to board our vanpool. Oh...and for those who say "Why do you do it...does it even make a difference"? That's when I point to each individuall kitty and proudly say...."it made a difference to that one...and that one...and that one....

Don't despair! Unite! Strength in numbers people! Keep on rescuing and keep on repeating the word "TNR"...eventually it will catch on and when it does.....look out! Keep your whiskers up and your tails bushy!

Big Kitty Love to YOu All!! And in my book, you all are nothing short of ROCKSTARS!! MEOW!!

Covina Sick Kitten (2).JPG

TNR Postcard-Back Original.pdf

TNR Postcard-Back Original.pdf

TNR Biz Card Front.JPG

#62 2015-11-06 2nd+Loma Vista (1).jpg