Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Kyle imom

Sassy: dog seriously hurt in a fight.

21 posts in this topic

Diagnosis: Serious wounds suffered in a fight, requiring surgery

Amount of estimate: $1000.

Owner Contribution: $300

Other organizations: $100

We need to raise: $600.00

Spayed or neutered: Yes

Caseworker: Kyle

Sassy is an 11-year-old dog with injuries suffered in a fight with another dog in the family. The veterinarian says she has multiple lacerations requiring surgery, and faces euthanasia if she's not treated ASAP.

It's been 3 days since Sassy was hurt, and the owner has been looking for a way to make treatment possible. Can you help? Please go to www.imom.org/donation and mark your gift "EF - Sassy Cnota."

Sassy's owner is new to computers, unable to send a digital photo at this time, and may find this forum a challenge. We'll do our best to help her.

Thank you very much!

imom.gif

Wow, this case is eerily like that of Bloo last week. Same age, fight between dogs in the house. Was it the full moon?

Do we have any idea what type of dog Sassy is?

Sassy is a Shepherd mix. And you're right, we just had another case of a fight between 2 dogs in the same home last week. I was just commenting last night that here at IMOM, we often have little runs of cases with the same cause or diagnosis. We've been noticing it for years.

I hope Sassy isn't feeling too bad this morning, and knows that there are people out here working to help her get that surgery - hopefully tomorrow.

Thank you!

imom.gif

Sassy needs our help...and I know how overwhelming her family must feel...knowing she needs help...

The computer itself is intimidating and trying to figure out IMOM's forum is sometimes VERY HARD TO DO...

THANK YOU Kyle for letting us know that Sassy's family isn't familiar with the computer...

Let's see what we can do while they are working behind the scenes to try to get funds, take care of Sassy and see if they can handle getting on the forum...

This is the season of GIVING...let's work on getting Sassy the help she needs.

Can someone twitter about Sassy? I can't begin to figure that out...I'll post something on face book, I can handle that. Judy

Sassy is a Shepherd mix. And you're right, we just had another case of a fight between 2 dogs in the same home last week. I was just commenting last night that here at IMOM, we often have little runs of cases with the same cause or diagnosis. We've been noticing it for years.

imom.gif

While we've not needed IMOM's help- thankfully! -we also had a dog fight in our home on Thanksgiving Day (because it's IMPORTANT to have a scufffle when ONLY the emergency clinic is open to treat two dog$- ouch!).

We've taken measures appropriate to prevent future occurrences (and do believe we've figured it out), and thankfully things could have been much worse, but add our case to the 'dog fight' list for recent days, too.

Wonder if the economic climate is contributing?- sensing of human tensions manifesting in dog fights?

Then again, in our case, there is not ONE thing I would have done differently prior to our situation (short of crating everyone, which had not been needed since 2006) - no human issues/tensions were happening on our leave, there were Kongs, rawhides, toys strewn everywhere, everyone blissed out with Kong-emptying on our leave.

We came back (1.5 hrs later) to one dog essentially dipped in au jus (bloody) and immobile, the other almost dead lame, puncture/slash wounds on all fours/necks/faces and dining room chairs upended, cushions aflown- and two trips to the animal ER. If one guy has what the other guy wants, and it escalates without intervention.....

For what it's worth- It has made me much more sympathetic to the plights of others in this situation. Did NOT see this coming, and understand how it can happen in other situations, too.

I think Twitter is a great idea. Laurie does it for the committee, but every outreach we can make will help. I'll post Sassy on my Facebook too.

Thanks!

imom.gif

I think Twitter is a great idea. Laurie does it for the committee, but every outreach we can make will help. I'll post Sassy on my Facebook too.

Thanks!

imom.gif

Will be happy to do so as well, but have NOT a clue as to how to do so on Facebook-tips?

(or please point me to your pages so I can copy!)

Thanks!

Well, Facebook is something you have to have set up in advance, and have your list of friends ready. Pages can't be copied, because only friends have access. Are you on Facebook now?

imom.gif

This message just came in from Sassy's owner, Laraine:

she is a shepard mix, gold in color. she is very sweet and loving. her mother ended up on my friend's door step one night. she had to go to work the next day and took the stray to the pound, the next day when she went to get the stray she had 10 puppies all adorable. my friend took mom and the babies home, unfortunately one of the puppies died. since mom was having a hard time feeding so many babies, my family took in three puppies at three weeks old, we fed them with baby bottles and took care of them until we could find them loving homes. sassy was one of these puppies we brought home, i fell in love with her and have loved and cared for her all these years. she still acts like a puppy and i love her with all my heart. my husband and i are both disabled. i am 64 years and am looking forward to spending whatever years sassy and i have together happy and without anymore pain and heart ache. please donate what you can because she's worth every penny.

thank you so much for caring

forever grateful laraine cnota

Another message to the community from Sassy's person:

Sassy loves to ride in the car, when i open the door she jumps right in. She loves to play tug of war, she also love chew toys like rawhide and such. She loves to lay next to us and cuddle. Sassy's favorite spot is on the couch where i sit. Lots of times she will get up on the couch next to me and lay her cute head on my lap for love and pets.

She loves to put her body under the drapes and just have her head sticking out. Every time i see her do that she makes me laugh and she looks so adorable.

thank you!

laraine

Well, Facebook is something you have to have set up in advance, and have your list of friends ready. Pages can't be copied, because only friends have access. Are you on Facebook now?

imom.gif

Indeed I am!

Cool. We need a Share on Facebook link on this site, but I don't know if that's possible, so here's what you do.

Go to http://www.facebook.com/share_options.php

It will tell you how to put a Share on Facebook link button on your Bookmarks toolbar on your browser. You just drag it to the toolbar.

Then when you're on any Web page you want to share, you hit that button, and it will send a link to your Facebook feed.

- Kyle

I asked Sassy's person, Laraine, for more information about Sassy's injuries. My notes from speaking with the hospital were a little more clinical.

She tells me that Sassy is still in the hospital, awaiting surgery. The fight with the other dog "tore a hole in her side about the size of a quarter."

... "She also has a swollen hind leg and a couple of other bite wounds." The veterinarian is keeping her on pain medication and IVs.

"I miss her so much you can't imagine."

So far, Sassy's fund has reached $155 of $600 needed. Laraine says, "Whoever donated the $115.00 thank you so much and God bless you. Sassy also thanks you very much."

Please help Sassy get surgery tomorrow by going to www.imom.org/donation. Mark your gift "EF - Sassy Cnota."

imom.gif

Kyle, THANK YOU for the update from Sassy's family...

IMOM angels...this sweet girl needs our help today to get the surgery she needs to get back home to her family...

Now is the time to make that Christmas miracle happen...let's get her into surgery this afternoon...Judy

Hi, my name is Frank and I just joined your group. You do such good work and I've already told several colleagues at work about your organization.

I was wondering if Kyle had more details from the vet about the kind of surgery that would be done for lacerations from a dog fight. I would have thought a lot of stitching and antibiotics -- was an internal organ damaged that needs to be repaired? Also, who was the other dog involved in the fight, and what will be done to avoid this happening again? Please don't get me wrong, I'm very supportive of helping Sassy, I'd just like to know a few more details if possible.

Frank

Hi, my name is Frank and I just joined your group. You do such good work and I've already told several colleagues at work about your organization.

I was wondering if Kyle had more details from the vet about the kind of surgery that would be done for lacerations from a dog fight. I would have thought a lot of stitching and antibiotics -- was an internal organ damaged that needs to be repaired? Also, who was the other dog involved in the fight, and what will be done to avoid this happening again? Please don't get me wrong, I'm very supportive of helping Sassy, I'd just like to know a few more details if possible.

Frank

Hi Frank - Welcome to our community!

Sassy's mom is reading the forum but can't figure out how to post a reply. Kyle has been working with her on that. She saw your question and sent an email to the committee:

please tell frank, the vet said he had to do surgery to cut away the dead tissue and clean and stitch the hole on sassy's side. she will need antibiotics etc. i am trying to find the other dog a good home, i don't want him here when sassy comes home. i am so sorry this happened and i will never let her go through anything like this again. also tell frank thank you so much for caring.

Fund update..

Sassy has $330 of the $600 needed. I'm afraid if she has to wait much longer she will get a serious infection. Please make a donation so this won't happen.

Huge thanks to those of you who have already made a donation. :magicmoon:

We still need $270

Click here to donate to Sassy Cnota

IMOM angels...this is truly an emergency...this surgery needs to take place SOON to avoid infection...

Sassy has been waiting patiently for help...she is nearly there...we can't let her down...

$270.00 is such a doable amount to raise...can't we do it SOON?

We are SO CLOSE...It's the season of Christmas Miracles...let's make this happen!!! Judy

Am curious- is she at home or at the vet awaiting treatment?

Am not a DVM so I leave the prescribing to them, but if she's at home:

Really do wonder why aren't they starting her on Cephalexin (or similar) - a broad spectrum abx (which is available for a $4-$5/30 d supply from Target)?

A reputable vet would understand the situation and would gladly write a script for same during this interim period- to get her started on it preemptively (de rigeur for many puncture wounds- sadly learned through experience!). It's MUCH cheaper from the commercial pharmacy than from the DVM and 'this is a good question that I would ask'.

This simple, inexpensive step would go a long way to heading off complications from bacterial infections- I'd suggest calling the DVM and ask them to call an Rx in to Target in the meantime to get these onboard.

(am suggesting Target as I've had MUCH better luck getting pet prescriptions through them (they 'get it' vs. Walmart, which I've generally found to be hopeless for pet Rx in our area- your experience may well be different).

Sassy is at the hospital awaiting her treatment, and receiving antibiotics of some sort while she's there.

- Kyle

The financial aid committee has decided to make up the difference that Sassy needs - $240 - from the General Fund, so that Sassy can have her treatment today.

Thank you all who generously donated $360 in just one day to make this possible. And thank you too, all who donate to IMOM's General Fund, so that we have some money to help pets who are suffering and just can't wait any longer.

The hospital and has been notified of our pledge totaling $600 by fax. And Laraine, Sassy's "Mom," has been notified by e-mail. Here is her response:

right now i'm crying my eyes out right now its hard to type. thank you to all of you that helped sassy, she and our family are so happy. we can't even afford christmas, but this is the biggest and best christmas present i can ever wish for.

as soon as i am financially able i would like to donate to imom, please let me know how to do this. i would be more then happy to help another animal in need.

kyle and everyone at imom i love you you guys are the best. thank you a million and then some

thank you with all my heart

laraine cnota, sassy cnota and family

Sassy's thread will now be moved to All Funds Raised, with a link left here. Everyone is welcome to continue to post.

Big hugs go out to Sassy from all of her friends at IMOM.

Thanks again!

imom.gif

Sign in to follow this