Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Pat.C

Shadow Ropel

31 posts in this topic

Diagnosis: Fractured Leg

Amount of estimate: $924

Owner Contribution: $50

We need to raise: $874

Spayed or neutered: no, but will be during amputation

Case worker: Pat

Shadow is a very special, one year old kitty who escaped out of the house and he leg was severely damaged. The vet thinks he may have been hit by a car. He is a wonderful companion to his owner and is in a lot of pain. Shadow needs surgery to remove his leg. Please consider helping this youngster so he can spend the rest of his life painfree and loving his mom.

If you would like to make a donation please go to the IMOM Donation Page, and mark your gift "Gf - Shadow Ropel."

Thank you for helping “Shadow”,

Pat - IMOM

Diagnosis: Fractured Leg

Amount of estimate: $924

Owner Contribution: $50

We need to raise: $874

Spayed or neutered: no, but will be during amputation

Case worker: Pat

Shadow is a very special, one year old kitty who escaped out of the house and he leg was severely damaged. The vet thinks he may have been hit by a car. He is a wonderful companion to his owner and is in a lot of pain. Shadow needs surgery to remove his leg. Please consider helping this youngster so he can spend the rest of his life painfree and loving his mom.

If you would like to make a donation please go to the IMOM Donation Page, and mark your gift "Gf - Shadow Ropel."

Thank you for helping “Shadow”,

Pat - IMOM

I have been acting as advocate for Shadow's owner, who has a learning disability and who struggles with writing. However, she will be providing an update each day about Shadow's progress.

Shadow's leg is badly broken and amputation is the only reasonable solution. However, the vets have assured us that Shadow can live a good and happy life with three legs. I have seen dogs with three legs playing Frisbee so I believe them. Right now Shadow is at home and resting comfortably on strong pain medication.

Tomorrow he will go to the veterinary hospital. They will put a pain patch on him that will last for five days and get him through the first few days after surgery. He will be operated on on Friday morning.

Shadow has been a wonderful, loving companion to his owner and thanks to IMOM he will live a long and happy life.

Guys, Shadow needs to raise $874 in order to have surgery on Friday. I spoke to the vet today and we tentatively scheduled the surgery for Friday morning. We all know Shadow will do fine with 3 legs, but he really needs to have the surgery in order to start on his way to healing. Please consider making a donation to this kitty - no amount is too small.

Thanks,

Pat - IMOM

On Sunday, it was time for our very precious little black kitty to move on to the Rainbow Bridge; we were blessed to spend more than sixteen years with our boy. I am sending a donation for Shadow, in the hopes that his family will be able to have many more years with their special kitty.

Woo hoo! Shadow has received $195 in donations so far!

A big thank you to all of the generous donors who have contributed to this little guy's fund. You are all wonderful!

Kay, I am so sorry to hear about your kitty, my heart hurts for you. This is such a kind and generous gesture in memory of your precious LBK.

$874 - Shadow needs for surgery

-195 - donations received

$679 - needed to reach All Funds Raised

If you can, please send a donation to help Shadow. It does not have to be a large amount - $3.00, $5.00 - even $10.00 will help him get closer to his goal.

Pat - IMOM

Edited by Pat - IMOM

$10.00 posted via Paypal.

Wish it could be more- payday's not yet arrived, and I'm trying to help as many as I can!

Don't worry about your kitty now being a tripod! - will be just fine.

(is this a front or rear leg amputation?)

Have heard it said that dogs and cats are 'born with 3 legs and a spare' - and found this to be true, as my (now dearly departed) retired racing greyhound Parker was a tripod (following amputation for osteosarcoma), and had a good life post-op.

http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/photo.php?id=100136

Some thoughts;

A comfortable, washable bed is recommended post-op.

I recommend getting an inexpensive (usually less than $10) twin eggcrate foam pad (from Big Lots, Walmart, Dollar General) and cutting it into 4 (or for a cat, even 8!) pieces.

(Make it at least twice as large as a 'normal' bed- the animal is learning their new 'geometry' and they may flail around/travel a little bit whilst getting their bearings/balance/'sea legs'- they need a larger flat padded area than they would normally .)

Put the 'flat' parts back-to-back so that the 'bumps' are on the outside.

I'd stack together at least two (more if the Dollar General pad), but don't make it so high that the animal will be injured getting on/off the bed!). However, don't underestimate cushioning- it's needed and merited in this situation.

Use an old soft sheet to cover to make a bed. (fleece may be too hot- use your judgment)

Have at least two of these beds (so that you can swap them out and put one in the wash if need be- accidents happen!)

A 'nice to have':

There's a material called 'rubberized flannel' (available at JoAnn Fabrics, likely Hobby Lobby, etc.) that is a godsend when a pet might be 'accident prone' due to recovery (saves the sanity/temper of the caregiver and alleviates stress).

It's soft and waterproof (and more breathable than plastic wrapped bedding).

It's not cheap (can be $12-$15 /yard) but you won't need more than 2 yards, it lasts forever, and gets better with each washing (dry on delicate).

For a cat, I'd get two one yard pieces (again, one to use, one for the wash).

If you can only do one thing ($)- make the eggcrate foam beds.

(Memory foam doesn't seem to work as well, so save the money!)

If you don't think your cat will take to the eggcrate foam bed- you can use it (if you set up a crash pad near the pet while rehabbing! ha!).

I have also found that a trip to Goodwill/Salvation Army and a search through their blanket/comforter area can find some useful bedding (for both patient and caregiver! ha!).

Ask your vet about the litterbox- a lower edged pan (placed within a sheet cake pan) might be useful for a rehabbing patient with new 'sea legs'- don't assume they can just navigate the old one without some modification.

They MAY be able to do so, but might not- it just depends on the animal.

If a rear leg amputation, you might need a tube of generic Desitin (to protect the incision from fecal/urine contamination) but ask your vet!

Best of luck- claiming safe successful surgery and rapid recovery!

Update. . . . .Update. . . .Shadow has received $25 more in donations! Woo hoo! Gosh the IMOM Angels are just the best!!!

Here's where we are:

$874 - Shadow needs for surgery

-195 - donations received

$679 - previous update

- 25.00 - donations received

$654 - needed to reach all funds raised

Once again, a warm Thank you goes out to our generous members who are working to help Shadow reach all funds raised so he can have his surgery on Friday and start on the road to recovery! I don't think Shadow's caretaker can post until tomorrow until her advocate is able to type what she requests and I'm not sure if she is online this evening but won't she be thrilled when she sees this tomorrow? She loves Shadow sooooo much! Thank you Angels!

Pat - IMOM

$10.00 posted via Paypal.

Wish it could be more- payday's not yet arrived, and I'm trying to help as many as I can!

Don't worry about your kitty now being a tripod! - will be just fine.

(is this a front or rear leg amputation?)

Have heard it said that dogs and cats are 'born with 3 legs and a spare' - and found this to be true, as my (now dearly departed) retired racing greyhound Parker was a tripod (following amputation for osteosarcoma), and had a good life post-op.

http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/photo.php?id=100136

Some thoughts;

A comfortable, washable bed is recommended post-op.

I recommend getting an inexpensive (usually less than $10) twin eggcrate foam pad (from Big Lots, Walmart, Dollar General) and cutting it into 4 (or for a cat, even 8!) pieces.

(Make it at least twice as large as a 'normal' bed- the animal is learning their new 'geometry' and they may flail around/travel a little bit whilst getting their bearings/balance/'sea legs'- they need a larger flat padded area than they would normally .)

Put the 'flat' parts back-to-back so that the 'bumps' are on the outside.

I'd stack together at least two (more if the Dollar General pad), but don't make it so high that the animal will be injured getting on/off the bed!). However, don't underestimate cushioning- it's needed and merited in this situation.

Use an old soft sheet to cover to make a bed. (fleece may be too hot- use your judgment)

Have at least two of these beds (so that you can swap them out and put one in the wash if need be- accidents happen!)

A 'nice to have':

There's a material called 'rubberized flannel' (available at JoAnn Fabrics, likely Hobby Lobby, etc.) that is a godsend when a pet might be 'accident prone' due to recovery (saves the sanity/temper of the caregiver and alleviates stress).

It's soft and waterproof (and more breathable than plastic wrapped bedding).

It's not cheap (can be $12-$15 /yard) but you won't need more than 2 yards, it lasts forever, and gets better with each washing (dry on delicate).

For a cat, I'd get two one yard pieces (again, one to use, one for the wash).

If you can only do one thing ($)- make the eggcrate foam beds.

(Memory foam doesn't seem to work as well, so save the money!)

If you don't think your cat will take to the eggcrate foam bed- you can use it (if you set up a crash pad near the pet while rehabbing! ha!).

I have also found that a trip to Goodwill/Salvation Army and a search through their blanket/comforter area can find some useful bedding (for both patient and caregiver! ha!).

Ask your vet about the litterbox- a lower edged pan (placed within a sheet cake pan) might be useful for a rehabbing patient with new 'sea legs'- don't assume they can just navigate the old one without some modification.

They MAY be able to do so, but might not- it just depends on the animal.

If a rear leg amputation, you might need a tube of generic Desitin (to protect the incision from fecal/urine contamination) but ask your vet!

Best of luck- claiming safe successful surgery and rapid recovery!

I am so moved I am in tears.

I have heard of "Bike-a-thons" and "Walk-a-thons." Well, I belong to a community of boaters and I would like to have a "Sail-a-thon" in IMOM's honor. Each person would pledge to sail so many miles in a month, and gather subscribers who would pledge a dollar a mile, or a nickel a mile -- whatever they can afford. My personal goal would be to sail 100 miles in a month and gather 100 donors. For each person I recruit as a pledger I'm going to challenge them to find five people to join them. All money would be collected in the form of checks made out to IMOM.

What do the people at IMOM think of this? It can't be done in time to fund Shadow but it might provide a fair chunk of change for someone else's cat. Maybe there are legal complications I'm not aware of but I think the sheer novelty of this might gather a lot of money. I've already located several businesses in my town who would enthusiastically put up sign-up sheets, either for sailors or pledgers.

Shadow's owner is a remarkable woman. She could be constantly moaning and complaining about the bad breaks she's had in life, but instead she concerns herself about others. She hosted a Thanksgiving dinner last year for the people in her apartment community who had no place to go. Everyone contributed food but she cooked it all, and no one had to spend Thanksgiving alone. For Christmas she volunteered at the Salvation Army sorting toys for presents. Now she wants to write an essay about the plight of homeless people after seeing a homeless woman using a walker but still struggling to walk because her shoes were obviously too big.

You have all helped a woman who would be fabulously wealthy if wealth were based on the size of one's heart, and I don't know words adequate to say thank you.

I say BRAVO to you for your fund raising idea!!! Please pursue it...as you said, it won't be in time to fund Shadow but it could help another PIN in need and from the sounds of it, Shadow's Mom would be very pleased...

She sounds like a terrific woman...I am so glad you told the community about her. And you are right...money isn't everything...it's the wealth you get from sharing and caring...

The IMOM angels will be reading about Shadow's Mom...that says it all...

Let's really campaign to get the funds in for Shadow today so surgery can go on tomorrow as planned...Judy

I'm not able to donate (my own dog is a pet in need here on IMOM) but I wanted to show support and encourage you to explore your sail-a-thon idea. Anyone can raise money outside of IMOM and send it it. I can't imagine there would be legal boundries but Jacki or another IMOM volunteer would be the one to ask :) I hope you are able to do it and I know that IMOM angels will get Shadow funded for surgery soon!

:hugs:

More donations came in. . . . . Shadow has $315 in his account! Thanks to everyone who is helping this little kitty reach all funds raised!

$874 - needs for surgery

-315 - received in donations

$559 - still needs to reach all funds raised

Okay, I think it's time we hit the sofa cushions, change jar, jacket & pants pockets - oh - it's cold outside, maybe your winter coat will have a surprise in the pocket. Any amount will help Shadow reach his goal so he can have surgery tomorrow. Please help if you can.

Pat - IMOM

Donation winging its way thru cyberspace as I type.... :rolleyes: Edited by kuhio98

Hey guys -

I donated $50 yesterday, and after reading the updated totals today, I added another $100. Unfortunately, that's all I can do today. Hope Shadow's totals find the right spot.

To Shadow's owner, hang tight, help is on the way.

Vicky

I am going to be off line for several hours but I will update Shadow's funds later tonight - probably 9-10 PM est. Hang in there Shadow - you have the prayers, donations and good will in this community and that makes you one lucky kitty!

Pat - IMOM

Woo hoo! Shadow has received $550 in donations so far! He needs an additional $324 to reach all funds raised by tomorrow morning. He is so close. . . . .

Maybe a few membes of the community could pass on one cup of fancy coffee this week or a few friends who eat lunch in a resturant could agree to pack lunch tomorrow and send what is saved to help Shadow. No amount is too small. Thank you for everything you each do to help our pets in need.

Pat - IMOM

I had a beautiful LBK for 18 years, so I'm passing along a dollar for each wonderful year we had together. The whole time, she was known as my "shadow" because she kept a watchful eye on me at all times. :)

:minichat6:

Rattled a few more seat cushions, and found another $100 I could help Shadow with. Only a couple hundred dollars left to go. Shadow is a good guy, let's help him out.

vicky

I have had a long and active day, which with the TREMENDOUS support here, included taking Shadow to the hospital to get ready for his surgery -- YAYYYY!!!

The vet has been soooo generous. She is neutering him for free, updating his shots, and since the little sneak got outside (grin), checking him for worms and fleas. They aren't charging for a lot -- his stay today, and (I think) his weekend stay there as well. He went in this morning so they could put a pain patch on him and make sure it has fully "kicked in" by the time he wakes up from his surgery tomorrow.

Shadow's mom has had some great fundraising ideas. Someone is having a garage sale at her apartment complex, and Kelly is setting up a lemonade stand -- hey, shopping at garage sales is hot work in Florida! And she's baking brownies to sell. She also wants to quit smoking, and neighbors often "borrow" cigarettes from her, so at the garage sale she's selling her cigarettes for 15 cents each to help her quit smoking while raising money for Shadow. She has also collected donations from some of her neighbors and her landlord, and I will be sending that in on Monday. Even if we've reached our goal for Shadow by then, I'm sure IMOM can find a use for it (smile).

Kelly will be making a long post tomorrow about what all this means to her.

You have all been so tremendously generous. I am so touched! I'll be putting a picture up of Shadow in a little bit. The surgical tech is holding him and he doesn't look very happy. The next picture will be so much better! God bless you all.

As of this posting, Shadow has $678 in his account. Wow! What a great job everyone has done! He may receive additional donations overnight, butjust to make sure he can have his surgery tomorrow, IMOM is going to pledge $196 to get him to all funds raised. We are able to do this because of the generosity of our donors who contribute to the general fund - you ladies & gents are terrific! Thank you!

$874 - needed for surgery

-678 - donations received

-196 - pledge from IMOM

All Funds Raised - green light - Shadow is good to go! Yea! Great job Angels!!

Pat - IMOM

Kelly and I had faith that we could do it, and so did the vet. The surgery is a go for them.

There is more money coming in. Not sure how much yet but I believe we will do it. Thank you sooooo much! You've saved a wonderful cat for a wonderful person.

Quick update before I leave for a few hours - I spoke to the vet's office about 8-8:30 this morning and Shadow was being prepped for surgery. We should be hearing from his Mom with an update soon.

A very big thank you to all the great folks who made this surgery possible!

Pat - IMOM

We are looking forward to hearing that Shadow has his place of honor at the Thanksgiving celebration, as a healthy, happy and dearly loved member of the IMOM family.

It has been extremely difficult for Shadow's owner and I to get together. I hope everyone will forgive! I tried to upload a picture of Shadow being held by the surgical vet but it wouldn't go up. He was NOT a happy kitty at that time.

I am overjoyed to report that Shadow came through the surgery beautifully. This afternoon by 4PM he was already learning to walk on three legs, welcomed attention from the staff and was eating well. You just can't ask for more!!

Shadow's owner and her friends and neighbors are still fundraising. We'll need to know from IMOM how to donate that to their general fund. Best of all, someone had an unexpected windfall and covered some extra surgery they found needed once they got in there -- a hernia caused by his accident. The vet went ahead and did it, knowing that this place had already worked a miracle and that the miracles would keep on coming.

They did.

I promise Shadow's mom will be posting soon, but she'll be busy tomorrow selling lemonade, brownies and cupcakes at the garage sale to raise money.

Sign in to follow this