Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pat.C

Poco Childress

63 posts in this topic

Poco has received another $25 and he has reached All Funds Raised! Thank you so much angels! Yea!!!! You are the best! Now I get to move his thread to AFR. Woo hoo!

Pat - IMOM

Hello Angels. Poco is doing so great, and I am so happy. I took him out to the beach this weekend to stay with a friend and getaway for a few days. He did very well, and even had the energy to play. He loves being put on the bed and give him a footie sock to chase and play with. So, I am scared to get him the surgery...scared that he wont survive it. BUT I have sold a few items on ebay, to help pay for my portion of the cost of the surgery. The vet said that he cant have the surgery for two weeks to make sure he is strong enough, so I will probably try to schedule it for next week, if they think he is strong enough.

I hve apparently been remiss in not thanking everyone appropriately and I want to apologize that I may not have said thank you to everyone for all their donations that have been given to Poco. I am very sorry if I failed to communicate how much I love and appreciate you all, and have disappointed anyone. I am more thankful to you all than words can express, and for all the funds that have been given for Pocos care, and that he is now able to get his surgery. If it wasnt for all of you, my little guy would probably not be with me. During this very difficult economy, for those of you who have been able to provide for those of us in need, you are truly heaven sent. I gave praises to this organization in church on Sunday and will always tell everyone I know about the wonderful giving community here. I am truly blessed to have been advised from my vet of the imom.org community and am thankful that the administration, and donors have taken their time, effort and financial resources to help me and to help my little man, Poco. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU SO SO MUCH!!

Hugs from me, and licks from Poco.

Lisa

A quick update. I have scheduled Pocos surgery for tomorrow morning at 7am. Please keep him in your continued prayers for a successful surgery. Thank you.

My special Angel Kitty and my Magical Beach Kitties will be watching over POCO and bringing him home to you happy and healthy.

Kathy

Thank you so much for your continued prayers. In the last 24 hours I reached out to a few people about Pocos needs and surgery, and I just received an email from a friend of mine in California, and then I called her, that she has received commmittments for donations from 2 people who have offered to pay the vet directly for any outstanding balance on Pocos bill for his surgery tomorrow. I believe one person offfered up to $200 and the other is anonymous and will just send money to the vet directly. I have a call in to the vet to see how they would like to receive these additional donations, whether by check or debit/credit card direct to Pocos account. This is truly amazing.

Edited by MOM OF POCO

Isn't that the BEST NEWS!!!

I can't believe that Poco is having his surgery tomorrow...please, please let us know how it went...we are HUGE WORRY WARTS here on IMOM...

I know that you are touched by the outpour of people that are helping Poco...isn't that GRAND...

It makes it all worth while...

I will be checking in off and on to see how that sweet little guy is doing...We will be with you both in thought and prayer tomorrow. Judy

Thank you Judy! Yes, the outpouring of support from imom is something that I must confess has truly changed my life. When life humbles you, and something like this happens, I have realized the truth in what George Bailey said in the movie ITS A WONDERFUL LIFE, "No man can be poor as long as he has friends." As my angels on imom, you have all taught me how much a difference giving can make in someones life. When you nurture another, you nurture yourself... the meaning of life lies in giving...I am not sure we realize until we experience needing and further receiving, that the quality of life is in direct proportion to your willingness to give. After being layed off, I am trying to become a professional photographer. It is hard and I have yet to make a single penny. Because of imom, I am following this path, and being blessed by giving. Yesterday I was presented with an opportunity to do a portrait session for a young couple who is getting married quickly before her fiance goes to Afghanistan, in the Marines. I offered my services pro bono, even though I so badly need the money, to be able to give back, and by following the path of giving, my life is blessed too. Thank you for allowing me to share this story.

So, Poco is at the vet right now, and I should here something in the early afternoon on how he is doing. I will post an update as soon as I get word.

Poco just got out of surgery and it went well with no complications. I will go get him about 4:30pm today.

YAY!!!

THAT IS THE BEST NEWS TODAY...

I am THRILLED that all went well and Poco was a strong, little boy...

Give him tons of hugs from all of us at IMOM...I am so happy I checked in early. I have to go to the dentist myself this afternoon and wouldn't be able to check until I got home...

Again...YAY, YAY, YAY!!! I know that you are relieved that everything went without a problem...

WONDERFUL NEWS!!! Judy

Hurrah! Another life saved - Wish we could all be there for the happy homecoming!

Thanks to all the IMOM Angels who donated and supported POCO and his Mom in their hour of need.

Kathy

Poco is home and though he is a bit confused, he is doing well. He is laying here in his baby quilt right next to me. My vet also provided an extensive teeth cleaning on the rest of his teeth pro bono, which was very kind. His teeth are so clean and white!! I will scan the before/after picture because I am silly like that and want to share it with you all. Yes, Kathy another life saved! Thank you everyone! I am so glad to have him home. When I went to get him, they took me in to a room I had never been in with two upholstered chairs only. I got so scared, I almost began to cry, not knowing why they would take me in to this "special" room. I guess it was just because he is so special.

Glad to hear Poco is home and cuddled up with you. You may want to talk to your vet about which products they recommend to help keep his teeth in good shape. Of course regular dentals are needed, but you can greatly reduce the number needed by experimenting with various products until you find the one that works best for him.

From your earlier description of purchasing him from a pet store, you know his parents would have been mill dogs and sadly the poor nutrition they received is passed on to puppies through birth defects and bad teeth. I've found the best way to extend the time between dentals is to brush their teeth at least every other day. Our vet recommends daily but that just isn't going to happen here with the number of dogs I have. However, a tube of doggie toothpaste (human toothpaste contains ingredients poisonous to dog) and a child's soft toothbrush are worth their weight in gold.

You also might want to think about doggie treats made specifically to help keep their teeth clean, again, your vet can offer recommendations. If you brush his teeth every day or so and keep an eye on his mouth he should easily be able to go a year between dentals. Another thing, since I know cost is a factor, look around your area for low cost spay/neuter clinics and call and ask if they also do dentals.

The cost varies widely from one dentist to another - in part due to the amount of monitoring and pre-dental work-ups. I have one mill dog with hydrocephalus, microvascular dysplasia & COM who has to go to a neurologist prior to going under anesthetic - his pre-dental workup and then dental averages $1100. I have another dog with a grade three heart murmur who needs special anesthetic & constant monitoring - her dentals average $300. Some of my others are pretty healthy and can go to the low cost clinic for dentals that range from $75-$125 so it pays to look around and match prices with Poco's needs.

Pat - IMOM

Edited by Pat - IMOM

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0