Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Cindy/IMOM

Little Missy Dunlap was hit by a car and needs her leg to be amputated.

37 posts in this topic

Hello everyone out there,

We had an unexpected emergency visit with my asthmatic daughter tonight. Things are fine, so it's Missy time. The girls have been fighting over which one of them is going to take care of Missy after her surgery. I think my room will be the central location. Normally Missy sleeps with my oldest daughter. When you walk into the room you don't see Missy, then all of a sudden you see a moving hump under the covers like a groundhog tunneling! Then her head pops out. That's her favorite sleeping position. Since her leg has been injured, she can't get in and out of the bed, so she loves to burrow in her orange bean bag. It makes her look so tiny!

Thanks for the suggestion of having her picture on the poster. We plan on having Missy in the wagon with us during the sale. I think people will really have a heart if they can see her and see her little tail wagging like crazy. Ever since she was spayed, as soon as she sees someone she drops down and rolls on her back for her tummy to be rubbed and loved. I don't think she can get enough of that. Missy does forget that she doesn't have a good leg. She saw a squirrel in the backyard and started to run after it with that huge leg. It was the funniest silliest sight. I am really looking forward to the sale. I know that Missy will look forward to anyone who may stop by and love on her.

I will post again with bake sale updates.

Today is the big day! :banana: I pray it doesn't rain on us. My oldest daughter drew the posters herself and they look fetching. Missy seems like she knows something about it is for her. When my daughter was trying to write on the posterboard, Missy kept just laying across the board in her way. It seemed like she was trying to put herself on the poster to advertise herself!! Hopefully she'll like the picture of her on the board much better.

We have to do a vet run to check her bandage. Missy knows what that means. She and Mommy will get a nice little hamburger treat from McDonalds. I know that will help to brighten her day. She tries to nearly wobble out the window when I'm ordering. The workers love to see her and talk to her. This just gets her going and wobbling to that window even more. She will just ooze for attention (smile). That's a far cry from when she was a little baby. When we first brought her home at around 8 weeks, all she would do was hide. When it was time for her to eat or whatever, we had to poke in the closets or other "hole" to look for her. Now, she doesn't want to miss any visitors. It is so funny to see all the girls huddle around the door when the doorbell rings. They get so excited to see who will potentially come through that door. They start vying for attention, and Missy usually wins I have to admit. We'll post again soon. Thank you for all the donors who have given so far. Anyone else out there please help us get Missy to the end. We'll let you know how we're doing with ours. :cool026:

She really will have a beautiful life after surgery! If I could let you meet Natasha you would see just what I mean. She's special and everyone who meets her knows it. I worried that she would lose her graceful way - but she hasn't. She hops and runs and jumps still in the same graceful way. Just give her lots of love and support. I had to put lots of rugs where we had floors with no carpet to help her not slip going from here to there. She doesn't need them anymore - just while she was adjusting. And we raise her bowl up for other health issues but I think it helped while she was learning her new balance to not have to reach all the way to the floor for her food and water. Eventually she'll learn how to rebalance and it won't be an issue (not that I know it was or not as we already lifted that stuff for her).

Good luck in your bake sale today!!!! Sending lots of Pinkalicious thoughts to all your customers!

Sarah

FUND UPDATE

Missy has $505 now!! We're OVER halfway!! :claphands:

We're at the home stretch, folks. We'd really like Missy to be able to have surgery on Monday. She just needs $465 to make that happen. That's $10 from 47 people, or $20 from 24 people....you get the idea. YOUR donation, no matter how small, makes a difference. Please give what you can because lots of small amounts will add up and make surgery possible.

THANK YOU DONORS and SUPPORTERS. We could not do this without you. :thanks3:

Cindy/IMOM

Wow, over halfway! Thanks sooo much Angels for helping this adorable little girl.

And paws crossed for a very successful bake sale - can't wait to hear all about it!

Vicky/IMOM

I'm very disappointed that we have not heard from Missy's mom in over 24 hours. As a result, she has received no more donations since the last update.

I hope the bake sale went well and that she raised a lot of money, because Missy is going to need it.

Cindy/IMOM

Dear donors and supporters,

I am very sorry to say that we may have to close this case. We have written Missy's mom and let her know she's in danger of forfeiting her IMOM assistance but she has not replied. We hope nothing bad has happened, and that perhaps she has found other means to take care of Missy. If we don't hear anything today I'll contact the vet in the morning and let them know we won't be helping after all.

Paws crossed, though, that we do hear from them today.

Cindy/IMOM

We heard from Missy's mom!!! She was sending us emails over the weekend that were not coming through. Her daughter had to have surgery and she's been at the hospital. In the meantime she has found another organization that may be able to help. We'll post more when we have more details.

Thanks to Vicky who went the extra mile to call Missy's mom to find out what happened. :hugs:

Cindy/IMOM

We heard from Missy's mom!!! She was sending us emails over the weekend that were not coming through. Her daughter had to have surgery and she's been at the hospital. In the meantime she has found another organization that may be able to help. We'll post more when we have more details.

Thanks to Vicky who went the extra mile to call Missy's mom to find out what happened. :hugs:

Cindy/IMOM

Well, that was the last we heard from Missy's mom. Although we had agreed to fundraise based on the lowest cost treatment option, which was amputation, over the weekend she changed her mind and even though the injury was almost 3 weeks old, found another agency to try and raise funds to repair the leg. She had raised $400 and with the $510 we had raised, surgery to amputate could have happened that day but she decided to continue to look for other options. The repair was almost $1000 more than the amputation and after time, was less likely to be successful (the bones start to heal incorrectly) but that was her choice to make, realizing that we could not try and raise funds for that large an amount. We have not heard from her since. We hope she did find more funding, but we had no choice but to close her case. In the meantime, we redirected her donations and pledged them to save Sammie, the blocked cat. You can ready about him in Happy Endings.

We apologize to the donors who rallied to help Missy. We hope you agree that one life is just as precious as another, and with our choice to use the funds to save Sammie's life. If you have any questions you are welcome to write us at gf @ imom.org (remove spaces).

Thanks to the angels who make this work possible. We are so grateful.

Cindy/IMOM

to missy's mom.

if you are worried about getting her leg amputated, don't be. my dog duke was hit by a car and had to have his leg amputated. he is doing wounderfull, thanks to imom and all the angles. it is in the best interest of missy.

i hope you read this.

katina and duke.

to missy's mom.

if you are worried about getting her leg amputated, don't be. my dog duke was hit by a car and had to have his leg amputated. he is doing wounderfull, thanks to imom and all the angles. it is in the best interest of missy.

i hope you read this.

katina and duke.

Hi Katina,

We tried everything to reassure Missy's mom that she would be ok with 3 legs. One of our members even shared her personal story and pictures of her three-legged sweet girl. Some people are more worried about how their pet will look, I guess. Our fear is that they do the surgery and it doesn't work and amputation ends up being needed anyway, but there's no more money. It's not a risk I would take with my pets for the sake of appearance.

We've often said sometimes it would be much easier if we just had to deal with the pets. Too often ego and pride get in the way of us helping, and when it does there is nothing we can do.

Cindy/IMOM