Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Tracy IMOM

Tucker and Justice Van Allen - part 8

7,724 posts in this topic

When I got home after being at a doc appt for a few hours, Justie whined and cried and licked me and was so happy to see me. I think he was scolding me a bit for being gone-'mommy where have u been?"

Beautiful day here again!!

Thanks angels!!

Justie is more off balance today. David is putting a temporary fence up to cut the size of the small yard so we aren't trying to keep up with him in the small yard that is as long as the house- especially when he is off balance. It will be nice too when it's snowy/icy so we can keep him safe. We did this when he was recovering from his back surgery and it worked well.

Another sunny day in the 50's!

Thanks so much angels!!!

Rainy day so no play time outside for Justie, so he is content to just hang around everyone.

Thanks angels!!

Justie and Lucky are running around in my bedroom. Justie vomited this AM, but seems ok now. He ate his lunch just fine.

Thanks so much angels!!

OMG Sue I know it made a lot of work for u but I hope it also made u smile just a bit. I certainly smiled...well ok I laughed. All of us here had a collective giggle and an awwww isn't she gorgeous. She really reminds me of Justie as a pup-that look in her eye was Justie's look. I just adore Macy.

BTW how many kids (or parts of them) are in the pic? It looks like 4. I love the kitty under the small table (TV tray?). The kitty looks like "hey I am staying safe under here and I am totally innocent!".

Hope that wasn't a library book!!!

hugs!

Let's see.  Belle is the cocker spaniel in the middle of the room.  She doesn't cause the mischief, but she likes to eat the paper or cardboard after the mischief has been done.  There's Ollie, our cat Colby, and Walter's tail.  I wasn't sure if I should post that picture because the room is so messy, even before the schnauzers hit!  

Macy does have the best eyes, and so does Walter.  Tthey give you that sideways, upward look, and it just melts my heart.

Macy has started a new thing.  She just loves belly rubs.  No matter how wild she's being, as soon as you rub her belly she gets quiet.  When I'm working, she comes up and whines and whines, and then she stands up with her arms on my leg so I can rub her belly.  When I stop to rub it, she puts her feet on my arm, and when I try to stop, she wraps her arms around my arm so I can't get away!  

We've got a blizzard warning here for tomorrow.  Quite a switch from the 46 degrees we've had this week!

Justie is all snuggled down in a blanket. He isn't doing a lot of pacing today, which is nice. Tmw we head to MedVet for laser and acupuncture. I can't believe it will be in the low 30's when we leave and then go up to 55 degrees! I am hoping we have a mild winter!!!

Hi Sue, Macy sure is training u well to give good belly rubs!! I'm really glad u posted the pic-it's fun seeing at least parts of ur kids...and Macy being a stinker. Lucky for Belle u know who the real culprit was. LOL.

We've been in the 50's, except at night with lows in the 30's. By Wednesday we'll have high's in the 30's and low's in the 20's. Snow is forecast for Saturday. I sure hope ur weather forecaster is wrong abt the blizzard!!

stay warm! hugs!!

Thanks so much angels!!

Justice has had a good day. His laser and acupuncture went well. Rehab put something on his paw pads called Paw Friction that is supposed to help with his slipping on linoleum, tile, etc.. He paces so much I have a feeling it won't last the week that it should last. We have already noticed he has better traction on the slippery floors. He will still fall over from balance and vertigo issues, but it would be nice if otherwise we can stop his slipping.

He will have mommy with him all day tmw. I am excited abt that too. All these darn doc apps I have had to go to that take me away from him for hours (due to travel mainly)-he needs an at home mommy day and I need an at home Justie day!!

Thanks so much angels!!

Justie definitely has better traction on the slippery floors with the Paw Friction. It is hospital grade glue that is painted on his pads and then they are dipped in these tiny (like sand) rubber pellets. The bottoms of his pads are kind of turquoise color.

Justie has helped me do laundry, med boxes and empty the dishwasher-I couldn't have done those things without him.;)

Thanks so much angels!

It has been so cold with wind chills in the teens. As soon as Justie comes inside we have a blanket or warm (from the dryer) towel ready for him.:wub:

Thanks so much angels!!!

Justie had a rough evening and night. 5 GM's, but they were pretty mild.

He was sleeping on the floor in the family room earlier and I put the colorful blanket over him. I noticed Amanda (who was worried abt Justie last night) started putting toys around him- there are 3 toys. So sweet..

Thanks angels!!

IMG_0694.thumb.JPG.22899aa2a25406416fe815955ff67db8.JPG

Cindy, I just had to show you this.  It popped up one one of the schnauzer facebook pages I follow.  His name is Arthur, and tomorrow he'll be 4 weeks old.  Can you imagine how small he was when he was born?

Image may contain: dog

Thank u, thank u, thank u Sue for giving me a smile just when I needed one. I can't believe that wee puppy isn't a newborn!!

I'll write in a few abt today's neurologist appt.:sad:

hugs!

As soon as I saw the neuro's face I knew he was going to give upsetting news. With a quivering voice he said he thinks Justie will make it through the holidays, but not for long after that...

I knew this was coming, but it still hurts my heart more then I can say. I am devastated.:broken_heart:

Thanks angels for all u have done and continue to do for Justie.:wub:

Oh no, Cindy, did something more happen?  Big hugs to you and Justice... :heart::heart::heart:

7 minutes ago, Sue W. said:

Oh no, Cindy, did something more happen?  Big hugs to you and Justice... :heart::heart::heart:

Justie has always been comfortable back in neurology. In fact, his neuro says it's like day camp for Justie. Today he said as soon as he walked into neurology and saw Justice he knew Justie was not the dog he has known for 12 years. He is right. In the 2 months since the neuro has seen Justie his canine cognitive dysfunction (a nice way to say dementia) has gone into a rapid, steep decline. He was diagnosed when he had the MRI with his back surgery 16 months ago. The MRI showing he only had 2/3 brain left. I guess we have been lucky that this has been a slow progression...I don't feel lucky. It may have been slow when u compare it with other dogs, but for me it has been too fast.

I haven't said much abt his dementia. It was just too hard to talk abt, and if I didn't talk abt it then maybe it wasn't real. But the past 2 months I couldn't kid myself anymore. Justie in the past couple weeks has lost his ability to smell things-u can put food in front of him and he never uses his sense of smell to seek it out. He has lost more of his brain as far as seeing things too. He has started pacing more, including sometimes during the night. There are other things too--it is a horrible diagnosis.

I asked the neuro if I am being fair to Justie. He said Justie is not in pain, and he feels he has a few weeks left.

My heart is breaking...

My dear friend, I am so sorry to read the update on Justice.  This is the time to focus on living in the moment, not tomorrow or after the holidays, just right now. I know how hard this is, and there are no words I can think of to say to make it easier, but know you have loving thoughts and arms encircling you and Justice from all over the nation (or even the globe).  Kay

On 12/9/2017 at 10:22 AM, Kay said:

My dear friend, I am so sorry to read the update on Justice.  This is the time to focus on living in the moment, not tomorrow or after the holidays, just right now. I know how hard this is, and there are no words I can think of to say to make it easier, but know you have loving thoughts and arms encircling you and Justice from all over the nation (or even the globe).  Kay

Your words mean so much Kay. I am so glad u got to meet Justie (and Tuck) several times. I am trying so hard to live in the moment-just like Justie is doing, but u are right-it is hard. Feels downright impossible at times. But I'll keep trying.

Thank u, my friend.:wub:

Justie had a couple seizures last night, but he is doing okay today. Tmw we head to MedVet for laser and acupuncture. I am dreading the time when I am making trips to places without Justice in the car with me. You can bet I'll be talking to him all the way to Columbus-he may be deaf, but I know he understands me. I am still the luckiest mom in the world.

Thanks angels!!!

Justie did fine at MedVet. Rehab put more Paw Friction on his pads since it starts wearing off after abt a week. Rehab has decided to just keep bringing the laser to the room where acupuncture is done-he is very calm in that room, and I guess he does much better if I am in the room during laser. So even when the canine influenza outbreak is totally in check, they will keep coming to us.:wub:

Thanks angels!!!

45 minutes ago, Sue W. said:

Everything OK?

Hi Sue, thanks for asking. I don't know what happened to my post yesterday. I have just been so scatterbrained I probably forgot to click on submit.

Things today have not been good. There is no easy way to write this, or for u to read it, but if tmw Justie has another day like today then I will have to make a heartbreaking decision. He has had bad seizure days before, and has come out of it. I just don't know. It's different this time...

Unfortunately bad weather is expected tmw, so I hope we don't have to go anywhere and I can have more time with him. Everyone here agrees that we won't make it to Christmas. But I keep hoping for one more day...

Thanks angels and all my IMOM family for being Justie's lifeline for so many years.:wub: