Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Pat.C

Bishop Vrouhas - Case closed

36 posts in this topic

This case is now closed and will be moved to archives in a few days.

Diagnosis: Torn ACL

Amount of estimate: $2800-$3136

Owner Contribution: $400

Approved for Fundraising: $2,200 - Applicant has been given 30 days to fund raise in our community.

Spayed or neutered: yes

Case worker: Pat

Bishop is in need of surgery for a torn ACL and at present he is unable to walk using his back legs. The veterinarian indicates Bishop can wait 2-3 months for surgery (although sooner is always better) and they are keeping him on pain medications to help manage the pain while his caretaker works to raise the funds for his surgery.

Here is what his mom wrote:

Now though, my dog Bishop is in dire need of surgery on this knee (ACL tendon rupture). He cannot walk on his back leg at all. He is a loving dog, happy, friendly and tender. I have no idea of how I am going to get through this and pay the vet bills. It breaks my heart.

Bishop is a great dog and he has a great mom working to help him, please consider a donation to help him receive the surgery to repair his ACL tendon.

If you would like to make a donation please go to the IMOM Donation Page, and mark your gift "Gf - Bishop Vrouhas"

Thank you for helping “Bishop”,

Pat - IMOM

Bishop's mom posted in the Intro section. I am copying what she wrote here:

Hi,

I just moved from a big city environment to the country in Onalaska, Texas (a very small community). Since being here I have noticed that many a dog owner is not caring the way most of us would be with our own pets. There was no SPCA here until this year and its 12 miles away from where I live. I have rescued many a dog in my 3 years here, fed them to better health and brought them to the local shelter. A few months ago I drove by an old trailer and there were 2 puppies (almost dead) in the driveway and the mother and father dogs very skinny and sick, I had to call the sheriff to come and help. Its very sad, but with my help and others around we can prevent things like this from happening - everybody just has to take an interest.

Now though, my dog Bishop is in dire need of surgery on this knee (ACL tendon rupture). He cannot walk on his back leg at all. He is a loving dog, happy, friendly and tender. I have no idea of how I am going to get through this and pay the vet bills. It breaks my heart.

I just took in another stray dog 7 months ago (a small beagle puppy). Both of its siblings died from Parvo. I have taken this dog to the vet and had its shots done, all the care it needed. Just this week the dog has been spayed and will now be staying with us permanently (not our original intent). The costs alone for the shots and spaying have already put the family back this year and then my greatest love "Bishop" injures his leg.

As we all are feeling I'm sure, its very stressful to go through things like this, our daily lives are difficult enough without the added tension of an ill animal. I hope someone can help me and I will always try to help others when I can.

Thank You,

Yolette

Attached File(s)

Attached File Bishop_and_Marley_01.jpg ( 118.13K ) Number of downloads: 0

Attached File Bishop_and_Marley_02.jpg ( 183.62K ) Number of downloads: 0

Attached File Bishop_and_Marley_03.jpg ( 200.31K ) Number of downloads: 0

Hi, I finally figured out how to post by using the REPLY button. Sorry I was confused there for a while.

I would like to tell you a little more about Bishop, his history.

My son came in the door with this little puppy, dehydrated, mangy and dirty. My first impressions were not good - a male dog, pit bull terrier - no way. I told my son that we would treat him and get him well and find a home for him, I was definately not going to keep him. I thought that this dog was the "absolute worst" kind of pet to have. A lot of apartment complex's would not let you own pit bulls or mixes.

I was so wrong and have learned a great lesson. This is the very best dog that I have ever owned. He is kind and gentle. Loves other dogs and animals, even kisses kitties. He is a big baby, loves snuggling - all 89 LBS of him. I would never give him up for anything, he is a dog that gives so much love.

Thank You Everyone,

Yolette

Hi Yolette,

Thanks for the PM--looks like u have it figured out!! Good job!

My best advice is to post, and post often. Even if it seems like no one is replying--they are reading. Lots of angels stay in the background and don't post, but read all the posts the owner does. You are already doing a good job with ur stories. All angels LOVE reading stories and seeing pics!!

So don't ever think u are "talking to urself" here. Just keep telling the great stories and Bishop will be wiggling into the sponsors hearts, and before long having surgery!

Oh, and be sure to post what u have done/still are doing to help Bishop get funds. The 30 days u have here at IMOM will go very quickly-so be sure and let everyone know how u are helping raise funds on ur end!!

It sounds like Bishop is a great teacher...and kissing kittens too-awww how sweet!

Hugs to Bishop!

:banana::banana::banana:Woo hoo! :banana::banana::banana:Bishop has received $130 in donations! IMOM Angels are sooooo generous! Thank you, thank you, thank you. Isn't this just the best start? Did I say thank you?

Thank you Angels!!!!!

Pat - IMOM

WOW!! IMOM angels have been busy at work...

Bishop sounds like a wonderful boy and you can tell that his Mom, LOVES HIM ALOT...

I will be thinking of some ideas for fund raising and see what I can come up with to help...It's warmer in Texas so we can come up with some fun ideas to generate interest in this sweet boy...

he want him to be able to be happy and healthy and be able to run and play soon...Judy

Wow its wonderful to see donations come in, you made my day and Bishop's. I changed my room last night in preparation for his surgery, I took my bed frame apart and put my mattress on the floor so he can easily get on the bed (he's so spoiled) but I don't want him to try jumping up on the bed (ouch). I am also going to set-up a sitting area in my room so I can keep him company after the surgery - he will need 3 weeks of quiet and away from his sister Marley who never stops playing.

Thanks Everyone.

post-4074-1233928665_thumb.jpg

I have been thinking of some fund raising ideas for you and Bishop...

I know you're out in the "country"...but, do you have any feed stores, convenient stores, etc??

How about a bake sale, car/truck wash, yard/garage sale...the yard/garage sale is a great way for friends, neighbors, co-workers to clean out their garages, basements and spare rooms...

Make up a sign saying what the sales are for...to help your sweet, rescued boy get fixed...there are alot of animal lovers out there...a photo of Bishop would be good...with a donation can on the table...even if someone doesn't buy something they can toss in some spare change...

How about your kids getting involved...they can set up a lemonade stand...who could resist a child raising money for their pet??

How about an ebay auction??

Remember, every little bit helps...so, folks...if you have a spare couple of dollars...don't think it won't help...it will...everything adds up...

Bishop needs surgery soon...if we work hard and diligently, it can happen...Judy

It has not been a great day for Bishop today, I'm trying to keep the puppy and bishop apart, so unfortunately he has to spend a lot of time in the bedroom resting. When I got home from work I took him out back and sat in the sun with him for a while - he really liked that. Some days his leg seems to bother him more than others, you can tell by the way he moves. I think it shifts awkwardly once in a while and this aggrivates it. I feel so sorry for him but am very hopeful that he will have the surgery soon. Well, its nighttime and my spoiled boy new gets to take up the whole bed.

Thank You All....

PS: I attached a christmas card with bishop on the front - it is adorable.

post-4074-1233977596_thumb.jpg

Hi Yolette,

I'm Juli and the former Treasurer of IMOM. I was just wondering what other fundraising you are doing outside of IMOM. Bishop needs a lot of funds and if I were you, I would be seeking other ways to raise money other than just IMOM. It could take a long time here and it doesn't seem like Bishop has a lot of time to wait. Good luck!

Juli

Hi,

Well my first fund raiser will start tomorrow. I have been doing spring cleaning and will have a garage sale. I have a trailer that I have only used once in the last 3 years so that will be my big item to sale plus I have a lot of other small things. Wish us luck!

Thanks all.

I am also going to try an e-bay auction on Monday. My son is a great at drawing and he is just completing a picture for me to frame and try to sell. I will give everyone a link to the picture on Monday and they can go see it. I don't know if it will sell, we have never tried this before on e-bay but you never know.

The vet said that the longer this takes the more irritated the area gets - the bones rub together at the knee and can cause further damage. I hate seeing him in pain and limping around.

Bishop did not sleep well last night - he was shaking and kicking all night long - must have been having many a bad dream. I know people toss and turn, but when your dog does it all night you begin to wonder whats up - I guess he can't get comfortable. I don't know....

Today will be a better day and are hopes are up.

Bishop sure is a handsome guy! He is also in pain. The sooner we can raise the money, the sooner he can get relief from his pain.

Good luck with your sale. Let us know how you do.

Do you have a BIG jar you can put out? If you do, tape a photo of Bishop on it and ask for donations to help with his surgery. You could even direct people to our web site if they want to make a donation online. Be sure to tell them they need to ear mark their donation for GF - Bishop Vrouhas

The jar idea is a good one, I'll try that.

Bishop sure is a handsome guy! He is also in pain. The sooner we can raise the money, the sooner he can get relief from his pain.

Good luck with your sale. Let us know how you do.

Do you have a BIG jar you can put out? If you do, tape a photo of Bishop on it and ask for donations to help with his surgery. You could even direct people to our web site if they want to make a donation online. Be sure to tell them they need to ear mark their donation for GF - Bishop Vrouhas

My car insurance company just sent me a refund check for $38.00. Its a step closer, even though it doesn't come close to what the total expenses will be. Its kind of overwhelming at times, I just don't know how I'll achieve my goal for Bishop.

Thank you everyone that has given us support and I will try to keep you all posted on any funds I come up with myself.

I was looking at some of the other ideas about fundraising and I asked at my local gym if I could put out a donation jar... They said that they couldn't at this time manly because most businesses here are still trying to collect donations for the recovery of Hurrican Ike. This area of Texas was hit really bad and is still recouping... I know, I still have a huge tree in my yard that needs cutting up and I still see many homes with blue tarps on the roofs awaiting repairs. This is a small town and hurricane Ike really devastated it. Even where I work at a POA Office we are sending out a special assessment to all owners to try and cover costs to make repairs to buildings and piers, etc. Its a terrible time to try and raise money. I hope my garage sale brings in some cash. During hurrican Ike, my son, Bishop and Marley spent 3 weeks without electricity. The local fire department cooked meals and we could go there for our dinners - it was a really rough time. The dogs didn't notice though - they thought it was great having us home to play them them. Bishop couldn't have picked a worse time to get injured and I love him so much and really want to see him playing again soon. thanks, Yolette.

Just to let you know, our little dog Marley gets her stitches out today (she was just spayed) and she is good to go - one healthy, happy pup at least.

Now its Bishop's turn.

Thanks All.

Goodmorning everyone,

My garage sale is off to a good start. I just got $120 for the trailer we had. Bishop is thrilled we are getting money together for his surgery.

Thanks All, I'll keep you posted.

YAY on the sale of the trailer...

Great start...now, anything you add to that is a bonus...

I am thrilled that you're having a sale...you never know...you could wait a couple of weeks, collect things from neighbors and friends and have another sale...

GREAT JOB with your efforts to raise money...

By the way, you mentioned that the amount you need is alot...break the amounts into smaller units...work to raise $500.00...when you have that...work to raise another $500.00...that way it won't seem so overwhelming...

You are really showing your love for Bishop...he's in good hands...congratulations on the job you're doing...good work...Judy

I agree with Judy, you are doing nice job on the garage sale! I hope it is very successful. Fingers crossed in Ohio that the garage sale continues to do well.

Hi,

The garage sale is now over, I only made another $70.00 on other stuff, but considering it was stuff I didn't need thats pretty good. Thanks for your support its really appreciated. Yolette and Bishop

Hey...you did GOOD!!!

Close to $200.00 and it was "stuff" you did use...CONGRATULATIONS...

That's a nice little chunk to add to the money you have and the nice bonus from your insurance company puts you over $200.00...I'd say that's a nice addition for a days work...

Bishop is a lucky boy to have a Mom that cares so much...

Remember...every little bit helps...Judy