Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Renee-H

Bear Carpender

301 posts in this topic

:motimonkey:

Hi Christina,

Just checking in. I laughed at what you wrote with Bear outside the door of your bathroom ....Zoom needs to come inside. Occasionaly, she'll even get concerned if I'm in the shower too long and will poke her head in (this is when she sees me go in too ...I don't know if she thinks there's another door out inside there or what! She's done this since she was a baby ...then she'd really become hysterical ...as soon as I'd pull the curtain and she couldn't see me!) Aren't our pets fun!

Anyway, hope things are adjusting with the new schedule and the rest of life is being kind to you. :hugs::hugs:

:hugs:

Susan & Zoom

hi everyone,

Nothing new and unusual going on this week. Thank goodness! Bear and I are definately enjoying the fall New England weather. He just sits outside with his head up sniffing all the new smells.We have seemed to have gotten past the initial craziness of the beginning of the year. Bear even had to get all of his shots up to date. I felt so bad for him. He is such a good boy. He had to get his 2 insulin shots that day, then they had to check his blood levels and poked him 6 times to draw blood, then he had to get his normal vaccinations. The poor thing he didn't even make a peep. The cat on the other hand was horrible. We take him in the same time.He is a male 26 pound orange cat with a broken tail that was never fixed and a really bad attitude. We got him from a shelter. They said he was obviously mistreated by a previous owner.Because he was very over weight a nd had the untreated broken tail. He's kind of like garfield. He can be cute and friendly when he wants.THe vet tech had him on his back and he was purring very loud and rubbing his FAT SQUISHY belly saying he is so cute. Then out of nowhere he latched on to her hand and wouldn't let go! He is such a brat. Then of course bear started to have a panic attack because he could he the chaos. And my 5 year old daughter found the hole thing amusing . Anyway, I think I will bring them to the vet seperately next time! Hope everyone is doing well!

Christina and Bear :wacko:

hey everyone,

Hope everything is well and enjoying the fall weather. Sorry we haven't posted. It has been really crazy. Our daughter tried out for the Nutcracker and made it. She will be in 7 shows and has endless practices. Bear has been doing well. He has had some recent weight gain not sure why. I haven't changed anything. well talk to you soon!

Christina and bear

Hi Christina,

Glad everything is going ok. They don't even send reminder cards when our cat is due for shots. I think it's because she bit the vet tech and they had to quaranteen her for 10 day. Hope things settle down soon. I sounds like you are going to be really busy between now and Christmas. Take care.

Lora & Mr. Wiggles :pp_animal_564:

hi everyone,

hope everything is well with everyone. Not much new going on here. I've been really busy poor bear, usually we have cuddle time on the couch and we haven't lately. The cat seems to be curling up with him because it has been getting colder. I'm not sure if he reaally appreciates it though. Well talk to you soon!

Christina and Bear :pawprint:

hey everyone,

Not having a good day with Bear. He's not been himself and he has lost control of his bladder and is puffed up with fluid. He also seems to be really out of it. I'm taking him to the vet today. He has a bad heart, cushings disease and the diabetes so it could be anything causing it. I just hope and pray this isn't the beginning of the end because I don't want to see him start to suffer. Hope everyone else is doing well.I will keep everyone updated.

Christina and Bear

hey everyone,

Good news , bear's issues are just due to a thyroid issue. No vital organs are shutting down, Thank God! I guess his thyroid is causing his sugar to be really high. The vet said once we get that under control, his sugar will come down and we will be back to the normal diabetes problems hopefully. It was scary I thought he was getting to the end because of the way he was. Well hope everyone is doing well. Talk to you soon.

Christina and Bear :)

Christina & Bear,

Happy to hear it wasn't anything too serious. I have a thyroid problem and it can make you feel really drained and depressed. Give Bear some extra love and enjoy some of that cuddle time.

:pp_animal_568:

Hi Christina,

Just lost a post to you somehow and was just about to send it. Anyway, glad nothing as serious as you thought with Bear and it's something treatable. Is he on thyroid medication now too? How does that effect his insulin? Sounds like you got your hands full there.

Next time am in RI ...will try and get a message to you, ..I've yet to get it to work but will not give up; anyway, and perhaps we can meet for coffee? Hope everything else is going ok ... hang in there! and Take care -

Susan & Zoom

Hey everyone,

Bear is doing much better on his thyroid meds. He can be really stubborn. I hide his pills in cheese and he somehow eats the cheese and I find little pink pills around the house. Then I have to force him to take them, he's like a little kid. He hears me coming and he tries to hide. Well hope everyone is doing well. Talk to you soon!

Christina and BEAR

Hi Christina,

Glad Bear is doing better. I too have a really hard time getting Mr. Wiggles to take pills. I have to special order his Cushing's med but that's the only way to get it in liquid form. Have you checked to see if his thyroid medicine comes in liquid form? We order from a place called RoadRunner pharmacy. Anyway, his comes in different flavors. It has been a real lifesaver for me. Let me know what you find out. Is he on Synthroid by chance? If so, what dose does he take?

Hey lora,

Thanks for the info on the liquid meds, I'm definately going to look into it.Anything to make it easier will be great!Hope Mr.Wiggles is doing well!

hey everyone,

Bear is doing well. Picked up his insulin today. Every time I get it I think about how greatfull I am for imom and bears sponsors. I know the economy is tough for everyone right now especially going into winter and having extra costs. Anyway there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about how lucky we are to have your support! Hope everyone is good talk to you soon.

Christina and Bear :brownpup:

Hi Christina,

Am glad to hear Bear is doing ok and hope you're feeling ok too. I know what you mean about feeling grateful for the help we get from IMOM ... I do as much as I can for Zoom and feel so blest for the help given by the genereous donors here. They'll be a special place in heaven for them, I just know it!

On giving Bear his meds: have same problem ...have you tried "pill pockets" (from PETCO I think) -- Zoom will take hers that way. It's a mooshy flavored treat-like thing, you can insert pill into ...and the dog thinks it's getting a treat. I tried this with regular food with her ...she wouldn't do it, but with these .. she'll take them (and then wants another treat!).

Hope we can work something out for meeting for that cup of coffee in Newport -- with holiday coming it'll be extra pretty!

Take care-

Susan & Zoom

hey everyone,

not much going on here which I guess can be a good thing. We are enjoying this abnormally warm November weather. My husband got Bear a dog sweater thinking it would be cold soon because he doesn't seem to like the cold but we haven't even put it on him yet because it has been so warm! Well hope everyone is good talk to you soon!

Christina and Bear

hey everyone,

It's a typical cold and damp day in New England. Bear doesn't seem to want to go outside. I literally have to pick bear up and bring him outside. As soon as he hears the door he puts on his brakes. We have family coming soon for the holidays. Hopefully he will do o.k. again. Well anyway not much going on here, thankfully.

Hi Christia,

At least now, maybe Bear can try out his new sweater.

Hello there Christina !!!! :)

Just stoppin' by to say "Hi" and ssl1607.gif to you, Bear and the family !!!!

Sending y'all MUCH MUCH LOVE and :hugs: ~

Donna and 'The Bandit' :wub:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

:wub::catwatching::wub:

hey everyone,

bear's doing well. We have a busy week, I'm sure like everyone else. We will have a full housefor the holidays. 6 adults and 6 kids, oh yah and 2 cats and a dog! wish me luck! hope everyone has a great holiday. talk 2 you soon!

Christina and Bear :pawprint:

Hi Christina -

Have a great Thanksgiving ...sounds like you'll have a great day. Enjoy the holiday!

Susan & Zoom

Hi Christina,

Just checking up on you and Bear. Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. It's great to celebrate with family but I know it can get hectic with so many extra people (and animals). I hope things are going well for you and Bear.

Hi everyone,

Bear is plugging along. He posed for our annual christmas card today in a fancy new sweater. I hope everyone has a great holiday season.

God bless,

Mark

Hey everyone,

Bear is doing well. It snowed today. He went out with the kids and played in it a little bit. It always amazes me how even though he's pretty old and completely blind he still acts like a puppy when it snows. The cat on the other hand has spent the whole day on the couch and refuses to move! Well i hope eveyone is well, talk to you soon!

Christina and Bear :catonchair

Hi Christina,

I can sympathize with your plight of trying to give pills to Bear ....Zoom is terrible in that department too. It's like she develops lockjaw or something and no hiding it in food has worked either. I get liquid meds when I can too, BUT, one thing I tried this last year which has worked is called "pill pockets" ..get a pouch of them from Petco or Petsmart ..can't remember which, but they look like little treats ...which really they are ...(of course why she wouldn't do this with many foods I tried, but that would be too easy!!!) ..... I think my are flavored with chicken, but they are pliable with a small center in them to hide a pill and you can squish it to close it in there. Zoom thinks she's getting a "treat" ... couldn't believe first time it worked and keep my fingers crossed each time I have to use them.

She never used to be that bad about pills, but ever since her hospitalizations & non-stop meds from recent years ... this is the best way for me to give her pills. I think a large pouch of them is about $6. It's worth a try ...let me know how it goes.

Hope all else is ok ....

Susan & Zoom

Hi Christina,

I think Susan is really lucky. My Mr. Wiggles won't even eat the treats. Hiding pills in food didn't work either. I am so thankful his med comes in liquid form. He gets the chicken flavored and I haven't had any problem getting him to take it. How is Bear on taking his medicine now? Has it gotten any easier? So glad he is doing well and still able to enjoy the snow. Mr. Wiggles takes a look outside and if it's rainy, snowy, or just too cold, he won't go out. If he needs to go really bad, he'll wet on the back deck and come right back in. I think the cat has the right idea. Being stretched out on the sofa sounds good to me.