Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Renee-H

Bear Carpender

301 posts in this topic

I'd like to introduce you to Bear, our latest diabetic dog in need. Bear was diagnosed with diabetes in February of this year. Bear's caretaker, Mark is the sole support for his family of four, his wife is unable to work due to a medical condition, and Bear's needs have become more than Mark's current ability to provide. Mark is looking for sponsors to help with Bear's ongoing diabetes treatment, including insulin and syringes and follow-up vet care.

For more information on Bear, please go to: <a href="http://www.imom.org/pin/dpf/bear-carpenter.htm" target="_blank">http://www.imom.org/pin/dpf/bear-carpenter.htm</a>

(Donations for this Pet in Need should be designated: "DPF �" Bear Carpender" to ensure your money goes to the proper account.)

Please help Mark and Bear if you can!

Renee H.

IMOM Diabetic Pet Fund

Edited by Leslie IMOM

What a wonderful little guy! He's so cute! Calling all IMOM angels, in case you haven't had a chance to read about Bear's family I have to

point out Bear's dad, Mark, has had MULTIPLE military deployments including Iraq!!! Please, he's made such a sacrifice for us...can't we help

him and his family now with Bear's expenses? Bear is such a special member of their family one can tell from Mark's writeup.

Will look forward to hearing more about Bear!

Jennifer

:pp_animal_568:

Hi Bear and Mark! What a special story on your PIN page. This is a wonderful place--hope that Bear can get sponsored soon. We will keep a check in you guys!

Jason, Tammy & Reece

Hi Mark & Bear,

Welcome to IMOM! I know you'll find the people here to be as wonderful as I have. Bear is so cute! How old is he? I know $103 a month sounds like a lot but it is very doable. Everyone is so kind and giving, I know you will be amazed. Share some stories about Bear with us. We do love the stories.

Angels,

Mark and Bear need our help to reach AFR. Mark has been so giving. It's only fair to help his baby out. I know any amount donated will be greatly appreciated and you will be doubly blessed for your giving.

Wiggles kisses to you all!

Lora & Mr. Wiggles :pp_animal_564:

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your kind words. We have already seen the compassion and genourosity of the IMOM community.

Bear is 10 years old and was Born in Northern Italy. We got him when I was assigned there while in the service.

Thanks again for your kind words and we will be sure to follow up with some stories. Check out the introduction page. I am going to post a story on there.

Moving this over from introductions

Just wanted to take a minute and thank everyone for their kind words and prayers. It is amazing to me how many people have responded and or checked out Bears site over the past few days.

Bear was born is Aviano Italy. We bought him at a street market. We were not in the market for a new dog but the merchant had about ten dogs in a 4 by 4 foot cage and although we couldn't rescue all of them we knew we had to save one so we choose Bear. His life started out very touch and go as he was very sick. He couldn't keep down any food and we had to feed him with a syringe. After a particularly long night of watching him suffer we brought him into the base vetrinarian to get some guidance. (we were afraid that we were going to have to put him down and we were already attached to him). The Vet recommended we try to hydrate him one more time using an IV this time. The difference was night and day. I came home for lunch and he was walking around and when I came home at the end of the day he playing and he hasn't stopped since. His recent illness has been very hard on the whole family but it has also been amazing to watch him adjust. He is now completly blind and is adjusting to finding his way around the house and yard. Although he isn't quite as active and energetic as he once was he still has moments of his former self. He has adjusted well to everything but his twice a day insulin shots but I guess anyone would have a hard time adjusting to that.

Thank you all so much for the kind words and prayers...it means a lot.

Mark (Bear's Dad)

Hi Mark welcome to you and Bear. What a cutie he is. Just to let you know now that Bear has a pin page up you need to post all his stories on his pin page so the Angels can read up on him and not have to look all over the place. I'm going to move this one over for ya. I just know Bear will be sponsored very soon and thank you so much for saving him and getting him well.

Welcome to you Bear!! We also have a blind puupy named Ray. He is fully sponsored for his diagnostics on his heart condition!! You are in the right place with Angels all around and God bless you for helping out Bear.

Come visit us at the Sponsored in Full page and read Ray's story. Miracles really do come true here.

Good wishes and puppy hugs!!

Michelle, Kaylie, Ray, Bella and Aidan

Welcome to Bear and his family. What a wonderful story you have to tell. I just know there are some special angels circling around Bear right now. Before you know it sweet Bear will be fully sponsored. I know it seems daunting right now, but believe me this place is full of miracles. My Jack is in All Funds Raised and was saved by the angels. He is on the road to recovery and hopefully will soon be a cancer survivor, all because fo the wonderful donors and angels here at IMOM. You will find so much support here.

Love and big Husky hugs,

Debbie and Jack :dogsled:

Bear is heading to the doctors today to have his sugar level checked. Hopefully they will knock his shots down to once a day. I'm sure he would appreciate that. He is getting pretty sick of the twice a day. Please keep him in your prayers today.

Oh, I do hope Bear can go down to one shot a day. I know that would be so much easier on him and you both, Mark.

Please let us know what the vet decides.

IMOM angels, sweet Bear needs $93 more a month. Can you find it in your heart and pocketbook to

help him? Mark has done so much for our country...can we please help him and his family?

Jennifer

Bumping up sweet Bear! There's lots of generous angels flying around IMOM today....would one or two consider helping this boy and his family?

Jennifer

Bear is doing well...however he is getting pretty fed up with shots. He went to the vet the other day and his blood sugar levels are way down which is great. Unfortunatly not down to the point that we can limit the shots. Does anyone have any tricks to help ease the pain of the shots? Bear would appreciate any suggestions. Other than that bear is...well Bear. He still a loving silly and affectionate companion. He is adjusting well to losing his sight with the exception of a random walk into the wall or a closed screen door but it never deters him. Thanks again for everyone's kind wishes and prayers.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Loved your story of how you rescued Bear ... now hopefully some angels out there will help you rescue him again from this dreadful disease of diabetes. I wish I had some great tips on giving painless shots.... I know for Zoom(she's in diabetic pets) now, it's been 2 years and she seems uneasily resolved to getting them twice a day. Sometimes, they seem to go in easier than others, and other times I get growled at from Zoom and she not thrilled to say the least ....but thank goodness, eventually lets me give her the shot. Amazingly, through all of this after she eats in am & pm ...will come up and sit by me...or on my lap..."knowing" she's going to get her meds. I do think they come to realize they are actually helping them. But she does know ....she'll be smothered in kisses and tummy rubs after she gets her meds. So it's the one form of "bribery" I approve of!

Hope Bear continues to do well ..... hang in there.....I "know" there are angels watching out for you all!

:hugs:

Susan & Zoom

hi everyone! It's bear's mom or mark's wife. My name is christina. I just want to start out by saying thank you to all the emotional and financial support we are getting from everyone and our sponsors. It has been a very tough year for our family. I was diagnosed with lupus and we had to sell our house because I have been unable to work and help support our family. The move for bear was very hard. He had to adjust moving into a house where there was already a cat there and the cat does not like dogs very much. He has to be on guard with her all the time. Being blind now he accidentley walks into the cat and she smacks him in the face.Poor bear! Needless to say even with all of bears medical problems he is still my little angel. When I am having a pain episode from the Lupus he stays by my side the whole time and keeps me company. He has been more theraputic for me than any of my pain meds. When we found out he has diabetes I paniced because i knew financially we would not be able to buy his insulin. IMOM and the sponsors have been a Godsend! Thank you for giving us hope that we can keep bear alive and he doesn't have to suffer! sincerely, Christina

Hi Mark, Christina, & Bear,

I am happy seeing the amount needed to get you to all funds raised is getting smaller. It is such a relief when you need to pick up insulin or get glucose checks that the funds are already there to cover it. The vet I take Mr. Wiggles to said that you couldn't give the shots once a day. I too was hoping to go down to once a day but after around 7 or 8 hours the insulin starts to wear off and his glucose level rises. I don't know which medicine you are using. Mr. Wiggles is on Vetsulin. I do understand the frustration of giving the shots. Sometimes Mr. Wiggles will even snap when he sees me with the needle. Most of the time though he doesn't give me too much trouble. Good luck to you.

Angels, Bear is the only diabetic PIN needing additional funding. I know you angels can take care of this last PIN. He only needs a little more to make this happen. Any help you can give will be so appreciated.

Wow! I knew the angels could get you to AFR but I'm amazed at how quickly they worked. I wonder how often IMOM has seen all diabetic pets covered at once? I hope all is going well with Bear and that being fully sponsored helps put your mind at ease. Miracles happen here everyday. Thanks to everyone who is sponsoring Bear. I have found the kindest and most generous people right here at IMOM. Take care and God bless. Give Bear some hugs and kisses for me.

Lora & Mr. Wiggles

:pp_animal_564:

Wow! I am blown away by everyones kindness and generosity. What a huge weight off our shoulders to know that Bear is fully funded and will get the medicine he needs. "thank you" doesn't fully grasp the amount off gratitude that we have. Bear seems to be turning the corner with the shots. I think he has finally comes to grips with the twice a day. We pet him and hug him and kiss him and give him treats and that seems to help. Thank you again for not only the financial support but equally as important is the moral support and kind words.

Mark

Hi Mark,

So glad Bear is adjusting to the shots. I am so grateful the angels were able to help your baby out. Hope you are all doing well and the weather is being kind to you.

Hi Lora,

The weather is doing wonders for Bears spirits. He has always enjoyed being outdoors. When he was a puppy we spent a lot of time hiking in the Italian Alps and I think that time fromed his love of being outside.

Mark

So glad to hear the angels have stepped in to help with Bear's care .... and he is doing well. Hope you two are as well....

Hang in there!!

Susan & Zoom

So glad to hear the angels have stepped in to help with Bear's care .... and he is doing well. Hope you two are as well....

Hang in there!!

Susan & Zoom

Bear had his blood sugar taken and he is back in normal levels...still hates the shots though,

I don't blame him...I hate shots too! Glad Bear's blood sugar is normal!

Amy

hi everyone!

hope everyones "babies" are doing well. Bear is doing good. We just started taking walks again since he has gone blind. he is really enjoying all the new smells from spring. He amazes me every day with how well he adapts to new things! christina :pp_animal_568:

:spot

Hi Christina & Mark -

So glad you're AFR and Bear sounds like he's adjusting..., although I know the shots are still difficult at times, I do think they eventually become resigned to them. Or start to feel the difference afterwards..... but Zoom's reactions at this point range from resignation ....to growling...to wrestling .....but then always, kisses me back after I've smothered her in hugs and kisses after her shot.

Am sure Bear knows you both are taking really good care of him .... and hope life is being kind and you all get to enjoy Memorial Day Weekend!

Susan & Zoom