Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Renee-H

Rosie Hyman

376 posts in this topic

Rosie is doing much better and is back to taking me on MY WALKS ;):rolleyes::):pawprint::pawprint::pawprint::pawprint::pawprint::pawprint: : :biggrin: The :eight::bunny::bunny::cat::cat::cat: .

The good part is a long walk makes it easier to get to sleep at night. This is a picture at 4 AM when we both finally got to sleep well until........ Click on the pic to see Rosie's Humongous tongue. You'll know how she can clean my ears.

post-2254-1220084258_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mapleman

:motimonkey:

Thought I'd just take a peek of to see how things are going. As always, loved the pix of Rosie ... she really does have quite a personality!

Hope all's well with you and Barbara, and you haven't had too many thunderstorms .....

Anyway ....just checking in and hope you had a great Labor Day Weekend.

:hugs:

Susan & Zoom

Pretty much all is well in PA. Until Saturday. Hannah's gonna pay a visit. What impact I don't know. Have to keep my eyes open. Changes every minute...like most storms. First it's goona hang over us and dump 2- 4" of rain. Now maybe not so much.

Hope all is well with you and zoom.--MM. Not another pic Dad!

post-2254-1220613825_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mapleman

Hey all.----We have had Hannah miss us ( slightly ). That being said our area in Pa and most of the East Coast have been on " Severe Thunderstorm Watch." We got a Large batch of "White Rain" for about 4 hours.

Then steady rain & drizzle with High wind gusts.... ( 45mph-60mph ) Air to Ground lightning Strikes. 1000's all over PA.

A tornado ( small..as the witness said,but still did much damage near Allentown.

Large and small branches fell into the back yard garden. I hate when that happens.They usually land on my Japanese Maples. It's not even my tree.

That being said 'Rosie' did not go out till the storms moved out to sea. I got a whole 2 hours of sleep last night. I think Rosie's Blood Sugar level may be up again. I was out wiith her twice before the storms...and 3 times after 4:15AM.

I arose at 7:AM to the sound of a chainsaw and the breaking of a nearby concrete sidewalk with a Jackhammer.? Not fun.

I also lay in bed initially at 12:00 midnight.....until my neighbor ( I live in a large twin with 21" walls ) but his hammerdrill into the party wall at that time and longer had me up laying in bed trying to fall asleep. The keyword being trying . Never mind the Burrough noise regulation Code says the noise needs to stop at 11PM.

Okay enough about my 6 hrs of sleep in 4 days...total. Here's Rosie: In bed of course. Safe from the storms in mommie's arms; and a 1/2 miligram of Ativan.

Hey all.----We have had Hannah miss us ( slightly ). That being said our area in Pa and most of the East Coast have been on " Severe Thunderstorm Watch." We got a Large batch of "White Rain" for about 4 hours.

Then steady rain & drizzle with High wind gusts.... ( 45mph-60mph ) Air to Ground lightning Strikes. 1000's all over PA.

A tornado ( small..as the witness said,but still did much damage near Allentown.

Large and small branches fell into the back yard garden. I hate when that happens.They usually land on my Japanese Maples. It's not even my tree.

That being said 'Rosie' did not go out till the storms moved out to sea. I got a whole 2 hours of sleep last night. I think Rosie's Blood Sugar level may be up again. I was out wiith her twice before the storms...and 3 times after 4:15AM.

I arose at 7:AM to the sound of a chainsaw and the breaking of a nearby concrete sidewalk with a Jackhammer.? Not fun.

I also lay in bed initially at 12:00 midnight.....until my neighbor ( I live in a large twin with 21" walls ) but his hammerdrill into the party wall at that time and longer had me up laying in bed trying to fall asleep. The keyword being trying . Never mind the Burrough noise regulation Code says the noise needs to stop at 11PM.

Okay enough about my 6 hrs of sleep in 4 days...total. Here's Rosie: In bed of course. Safe from the storms in mommie's arms; and a 1/2 miligram of Ativan.

post-2254-1221254133_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mapleman

Hey,

Glad Hannah missed you. We didn't get much here in Virginia either. How is Rosie doing? I hope her blood sugar is not too high. Take care and try to get some much need sleep.

Lora & Mr. Wiggles :pp_animal_564:

:pp_animal_568:

How are you all? We got tons of rain from Hannah and also from Ike ....some places really got damaged and lost power as well.

Glad you missed it.

Hope all's well ... belly rubs to Rosie!

Susan & Zoom

HEy Susan and Zoom, and to Lora as well. I spoke too soon. We ended up getting two almost solid days of rain at the end of Hannah. Then we got Tropical Storrm winds and rain from Ike ( My Dad's name ) I thought he might be looking down on us from the heavens above.

In a way I guess he was. No hurricane force stuff but heavy rain and wind gusts up to 60mph. That was the warning. We had to move everything inside that could become a projectile. Fortunately the Trash cans were all full and just braced.

We got more damage from neighboring house's trees then any of my Japanese Maples. I hate when that happens. A new neighbor offered to cut branches off of her tree. The contractor asked if I would like them removed.

She was doing it as a gesture and really did'nt have too. It was'nt in her budget..but she offered. So I asked the contractor if he was going to have a rope attached to the limbs: and carefully lower them to the ground on her side. As soon as I mentioned the ropes he said: " Oh I see RED FLAGS UP ALREADY."

Well surely your not going to just cut them and let them fall willy-nilly. He told me he had been doing this for 35 years, and he knew what he was doing. Not to tell him his job. That's when I saw RED FLAGS. Needless to say I declined. I knew he was a drop and let gravity have them fall where they may.

My Japanese Maple collection had grown over the years to about 25. Value of my Japanese Maples over the time since they were first planted. Approximately $60,000.00- $90,000.00. That's over some 16 years and Rare varietys. I watched the guy working from my studio window on the 3rd floor.

Sure enough he was a cut and let fall where they may. I would have lost at least 3/4's of my expensivee trees if I had let her pay to have it done. The loss would have been greater than he was charging.

I don't mind that method if it won't hit something in my garden. When I first moved into the house 17 years ago ???? My mind isn't as sharp as it was. That being said when we first moved in and there was a TREE person doing work down the street I asked what he would charge for cutting 3 huge trees down.

One overhanging our Porch roof..one Dying Fruiting Mullberry..Even the squirrels stopped eating the berries. The last was a beautiful Sugar Maple I wish I could have saved. Unfortunately whoever planted the properties back in 1926 had no idea how large those trees can get,; and planted them only 15 ft apart.

So close that the Mulberry over grew the Sugar Maple and shaded out half the tree. Leaving it without those lovely yellow fall colored leaves I loved 35 ft up the left side of the Sugar Maple..and lots of Yellow leaves one the right side. I hadn't noticed till the Mullberry bush came down just how drastic the Sugar Maple was bare on one side.

I enjoyed the leaves the first Fall. We moved into the house on November 1rst so Fall here in PA. was in Full Flush. It appeared beautiful. I rember many of my gardening friends saying do nothing to the yard for the 1rst year. You never know what might be dormant underground. Glad I listened. I had many of my largest Hostas that were planted by the 2nd owner's mother in 1939.

They were all one color. Basic green H.'lacifolia' which flowered prolificly with beautiful purple flowers..on many scapes laden with blooms. That being said I had about 20 of them on the property between the front yard and the back.

The point of this is I had gotten many different varieties of hostas in blue, blue and yellow, blue and green and all yellow..and yellow and green margins. I found the remains of a raised bed in the front yard after some initinal removal of the heavily packed clay soil. ( Just for the raised bed area. I left the heavily packed clay soil everywhere else.

Back to the tree trimmer I hired. I asked if he was a cut and drop kind of tree remover. He was. I asked if my newly planted hostas would be safe from falling tree limbs and section of the trunks as they moved from top to the bottom. He said they " would probably be okay ." I asked if he could assure me of that. He replied..." You might wanta move them.

Since they were newly planted. I removed them and potted them up. Good thing is at least the guy was honest with me. Plus the hostas were the only thing in the front yard and easy to move. So I let the cut and drop guy ciut them and let them drop wherever because the front yard had nothing in it. That is the only time I would let a cut and drop guy cut a tree down. If nothing I planted was beneath it.

I digress. This is about Rosie. During the torrential rain and winds droppping branches. Rosie would have nothing to do with going outside to do her business. I did open the back door for her to go out. She stuck just her nose out. ( Thought to herself ) 'I am no way going out there. Are you crazy'!!!!!.... and immediately ran back to my wife on the sofa. This time the storms were at night. This is where she spent most of the time. Comfy and cozy...But barking at all the lightning..even the lightning flashes miles away.

post-2254-1221981785_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mapleman

Pretty much all is well in PA. Until Saturday. Hannah's gonna pay a visit. What impact I don't know. Have to keep my eyes open. Changes every minute...like most storms. First it's goona hang over us and dump 2- 4" of rain. Now maybe not so much.

Hope all is well with you and zoom.--MM. Not another pic Dad!

Glad you survived the storms. We have a coldfront moving through and it has been very windy here, moreso than when Hannah came through. The temperatures though are wonderful. Give Rosie some belly rubs for me.

Wiggles kisses to you both,

Well Kyle dropped a lot of rain around Philadelphia. Not a lot by many people's stadards. 1& 1/2 " in 1 HR. So it moved fast and I had to take Rosie outside in the rain which sh intentionally stays out in just to make sure she gets wet enough to get a shoeshine rubdown to dry her off.

Even when she's done her business already. Go figure. We had some lightning and of course she was in her regular place. The bed. My wife is out of town. Still in Pa. Going to the " new no-health care coverage " Clinic in Chester, PA. for her M.S. check-up and her prescriptions. She'll be back this afternoon. Her appointment was at 2:15PM today ( Monday )--MM. Here's a pic of Rosie in bed. On my side.

post-2254-1222710908_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mapleman

Well I had a fairly long post. Not so long my PC should freeze up before I uploaded a pic.It browsed fine. ( Murphy's Law ) I live by it. Than I get excited as heck if something good happens. Needless to say Rosie's blood glucose ( sugar level is down to 197 ) which is significantly lower than the last time, but still not in the range we were hoping for.

On the bright side her weight ws only 74.6 lbs. Here is a pic..HOPEFULLY WITH HER IN IT AND UPLOADED her Svelte self.

I must thank Renee and all the people that support as many pets as they do Lora, and Laurie. Thank you for your replies and catspaws as well.

A special thank you to Zoom manly's Mom Susan. Thanks for keeping me informed. I also thanked Renee directly as my angel. I got the two bottles of vetsulin they owed me; and syringes. Thank you to the sponsers I don't know, and also to Jacki who got my picture in the photo test. That was most appreciated!

And lastly my dear wife who saved me from my own self for 1rstr sending in a picture that clearly did not fit the close to the face detail I missed in the rules. Oh I think I hear the music; ( my dear wife )but I must add the following before I face the Music.LOL. It's like I'm almost at the Oscars..Not likely.

The most important thing I need to get is the lyme test. We use Frontline Plus and the supposed time it's to be used hasn't lapsed. Never mind she's never been bit by a Misquito before but tonight about 1:00AM she got bit by one 4 times or 4 different misquitos.

We are hoping to get in to get the Lyme test done tomorrow.

Thanks to a small Jewish New Year's gift from my Mother I can get it done and pay for it ourselves.--MM.

post-2254-1223877354_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mapleman

Hi MM,

Just wanted to check in on Rosie. Glad to hear she is doing well. Glad the storm wasn't too bad for you guys. I have the exact opposite problem with Mr. Wiggles. When it's raining outside, it's like pulling teeth to get him to go out. A middle ground would sure be nice. Hope everyone there is doing well.

Hi Charles! How are you, Barbara & Rosie doing? Hope the new healthcare coverage is helping Barbara and am glad Rosie sounds like she's doing well too. That's funny about her and the rain ....Zoom is just the opposite. Just gives me a "are you serious?" look, when she has to go out in it! We just got the brunt of Kyle and then it hit in Maine, but the weather the last week or so has been beautiful and the leaves are just glorious about now. It's my favorite time of year weather-wise, shirt sleeves or just a sweater. Wish the autumn season lasted longer.

Anyway, is Rosie on Vetsulin? Sounds like she's pretty well regulated, am anxious about switching Zoom to it, but they say it'll be better for her.

Well, hope life's being good to you my friend ... stay in touch.

Susan & Zoom

Hi Charles! How are you, Barbara & Rosie doing? Hope the new healthcare coverage is helping Barbara and am glad Rosie sounds like she's doing well too. That's funny about her and the rain ....Zoom is just the opposite. Just gives me a "are you serious?" look, when she has to go out in it! We just got the brunt of Kyle and then it hit in Maine, but the weather the last week or so has been beautiful and the leaves are just glorious about now. It's my favorite time of year weather-wise, shirt sleeves or just a sweater. Wish the autumn season lasted longer.

Anyway, is Rosie on Vetsulin? Sounds like she's pretty well regulated, am anxious about switching Zoom to it, but they say it'll be better for her.

Well, hope life's being good to you my friend ... stay in touch.

Susan & Zoom

Hey Susan & Zoom. I loved the Northeastern part of the US. I lived in both CT and MA. Went camping and tenting , fly fishing in ME.: VT.:N.Hamphire and obscure water pools that only the natives knew of.Visited RI. & Colonial Williamsburg.The Fall foliage was wonderful in those areas. All peaking at slightly different times.

Yes Rosie was switched early on in her humilin phase of treatment to Vetsulin. The switch was one to the other no problem. Not like slowly weaning off one food to another. I answered in your last post about you being in RI. ---MM.

:pp_animal_103:

Hi Charles,

So you lived in MA .. whereabouts? Never been to Maine ... hear it 's beautiful and you can still pick up some nice pieces of land if you have the money. Which I don't .. ha! And yes, the fall here is lovely ....it's my favorite time of year, temperature wise, beauty wise .. the colors are magnificent.

So Rosie had a time transferring to Vetsulin too ...am having misgivings about switching her so quickly without doing a full curve at home with her first. Vet never did the full curve on Zoom while she was there cause she was so freaked at about being at vets and away from me. I've done one curve on her so far and vet was pleased with numbers but wants me to keep checking ...am waiting for glucose strips to proceed. Even though the numbers were good ...she still is hungry all the time, and I think drinking too much. So we'll see ...

How did Barbara trip go with the new medical insurance .... I hope they'll be able to help her. Well, that's about all for now ...hope all's ok with you ... and give great big belly rubs to Rosie from Zoom & I. Take care -

Susan & Zoom

Yes I lived in MA, before that CT. Not quite the same as it was. I lived in Wellesly,MA. Not old Wellesly mind you. Way to expensive. Cambridge and many other places close to Wellesly are way to much money. I think my folks payed $68.000 for the house. That should give you and idea how long ago it was . We left after the Blizzard of 1969.

Rosie did not take awhile to switch from the Humulin to the Vetsalin. It was done on the same day. No problems what so ever.

Moved to Philadelphia ( lansdowne , PA to be pricise. Zone 7Ab.) Nice little sliver of space 8 miles from Center City , Philadelphia. We still get Fall Foliage; but no blizzards or dastardy cold temps that go to your bones. We average 21" of snow a year .

That being said.. we haven't seen snow like that in quite a while. Rhodesian hugs to you. Do not worry about the Vetsulin. It is better ( In Rosie's case than the humulin was. A marked difference in her constany having to pee, and drinking so much water. It did take time for Rosie to acclimate insulin wise to the change but once she did she's been a new Girl..uh-hum ( she's lokking overr my shoulder( whispering ) I mean her Royal Highness of course. It may take a few doses or even 1-2 vials; but you'll notice a difference. --MM. I cannot trust her on a run. She walks me.

post-2254-1226021789_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mapleman

Just checking in on Rosie. Hope everything is going good for everyone.

Hello to Charles, Barbara, and Rosie !!!!! :)

Just wanted to drop in and say "Hi" and to be ssl1607.gif to all of you !!!!

Hope and pray everything is well.

Sending MUCH MUCH LOVE and :hugs: ~

Donna and 'The Bandit' :wub:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

:wub::catwatching::wub:

Hi all Rosie is well. Winter is coming. We have an above average snowfall total. 20-25". Did I mention I hate winter. Coldest day since April tonight. 21*. High of 39*. Our mormal snow toatal is 31" so I am definitely not looking forward to it. December is below average.. Jan & Feb. above ( a whopping 42* average )

Since almost all the leaves are off the trees because of high winds. Only the Toad lilys have withstood the low temps, and the winds. Here is a pic of Rosie like it is now. I have a Fall pic ( 2 weeks ago ) which I'll post in the Rosie's galery or with permission here in her postings. Beautiful fall colors on the Japanese maples in the front yard.

By the way we were taking Rosie 'Talons' to be clipped ;):lol: . This women is local and charges $3.50. Our vet charges $17.00. Carole the owner asked for a picture of Rosie so she might put it on the wall and get volunteers to help with food costs. When she saw the pic She asked if IO would take the Christmas pics of all the dogs in the area, and she ususly gets quite a few.

Local dogs ..local exposure for my work. It's all good. :biggrin::blush::happydance: --MM.

post-2254-1227072200_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mapleman

:pp_animal_568:

Charles,

Great news about the photography and taking the pix of the pets. You'll be right at home there and am sure will do a great job.

I always enjoy the pix you post. Wish I was able to scan pix of Zoom. I keep on meaning to send to Reece's Mom who said she will post for me but never get around to it. Anyway, good luck with the photos.

Hope your day for Thanksgiving with you, Barbara & Rosie is a blest one ... no matter what you do! Take care.

Susan & Zoom

Hi Barbara, Charles, & Rosie,

I just wanted to stop by to find out how you were doing. Did you do anything special for Thanksgiving? I think it's great you get to take the pics of all the animals. Is it volunteer work or will you be paid? Either way it sounds like a lot of fun. I too enjoy seeing the pictures of Rosie. She is a sweetheart.

Charles,

How are you? How has the picture taking for the groomer worked out? I do Zoom's "talons" myself and she is not thrilled. Sometimes it's just impossible! and I usually have to muzzle her or she'll go for the clippers!! Delightful dog!! but I love her.

Hope things are going ok. Am with you on the cold weather ...had our first snowfall yesterday which makes me leary as I have difficulty walking as it is, and challenged breathing in really cold weather as well. Thought I'd be living in milder climate by now ...am still hoping for it ...so I can "grow young" more comfortably!

Well, hope all's well with you, Barbara, & Rosie ......belly rubs to the pooch!

Susan & Zoom

Hi all.. Well the groomer talked to her brother who sets things up . He said it was too late in the Season for Christmas.????? :huh: So it goes. Possibly doing Easter pics. It would have been a great oppurtunity for me. Murphy's Law. Yes I would have been paid.

We have had Arctic Cold here 27* for a high temp; 22* for the low. Rains are coming. Light then heavy. Cold fronts / warm fronts ...It's a mess. Hate winter..rain and wind gusts. :rolleyes:

Next week hopefully it will be sunny and warmer mid 40's to 50's...( without the rain ) Unless of course the weather experts change the forecast once again.. :unsure:;)

So Rosie is doing okay. Went for a long overdo walk. Rosie is no fan of gusty winds either. It was about 45*, and the LONG walk. Here's another pic. Rosie on the back hill. I hate when it rains on that clay soil. I go thru so many towels between cleaning her feet ;and ' shoeshining her back ' dry with another. Browsing for the pic...

post-2254-1228840829_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mapleman