Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Cindy/IMOM

Pacer Hornsby has gone to Rainbow Bridge

45 posts in this topic

I want to tell all the people who donated money to Pacer Hornsby for his surgery that this morning during surgery he passed away. The hole was big enough to put a baseball in. His liver had grown up through the hole and was covered with scar tissus. It was twice the size of a normal liver and looked like someone had put a rubber band around the middle of it. Also, his intestens looked awful, the color was bad and they were swollen. He made it through the surgery, as far as putting everything back where it belonged and closing up the hole, but died while they were sewing him up. Dr. Canerdy tried to revive him but had no luck. He is an excellent vet, and a vetranery medicine professor at Murray State University. I felt very good about having him doing the surgery on Pacer. Dr. Marty Wynn and Dr. Baird assisted him with 2 vet techs.

We are very greatful to all those who help us in our time of need and want you to know that if we can every do anything for you, to please let us know.

Thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

Sandy, Bert, Chris and family, Jim and family, and The Gang

May Pacer rest in peace with the others at the Rainbow Bridge :spot

I'm so terribly sorry you lost Pacer Sandy. We cry with you believe me. I hope you can take comfort in knowing you gave

Pacer a chance to experience love and happiness during his short time on this earth.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Jennifer

:animcndc_sm:

Sandy ~ I'm so sorry for your loss. Gentle hugs to you and your family during this difficult time. goodbye2_anim.gif Pacer, run free. Until you're reunited.

I'm so sorry about Pacer going to Rainbow Bridge. Please know my heart breaks for you. Run free and play sweet Pacer. :animcnda_lg:

Sandy, I'm so sorry that Pacer has gone to the Bridge. Fly free, little one.

Sandy,

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that Pacer has gone to the Rainbow Bridge. :animcndc_sm: Your heart must be breaking. Know that you are in the thoughts and hearts of many tonight. Rest in peace, dear Pacer. And watch over your family when you can. You will be missed.

:broken_heart:

Tracy/IMOM :heart::stripekitty:

To all those who care, who gave donation, prayed and support us through Pacer's heartbreaking ordeal, let me tell you about our Pacer. :spot

At 12:50 p.m. Feb 18, 2008, Pacer Hornsby passed away after undergoing surgery to repair a diaphramatic hernia. He passed while the doctors were closing the incision after making it through the surgery successfully. Pacer had a hole in his diaphram that you could put a baseball through. His liver had grown through the hole and looked as if someone had put a rubberband around their finger and left it there. It was twice as large as it should be. The intestines were also involved. Three doctors and 2 vet techs worked on him for well over an hour, but eventually lost him.

Pacer was a rescue from the Animal Shelter here in town. He was 8 weeks old when we got him and he was terrified of everything, especially cars. We later learned that he had been thrown out of a car. He was found at the intersection of a major highway and a rural road.

Since we had recently lost a very loving, beautiful Chow/Wolf mix named Harley, I did not want another dog that reminded me of him. So I went to the Animal Shelter looking for a very happy, bouncy puppy to join our family. What I found was a scared pup that climbed up on my shoulder, just like Harley had done when I rescued him from the same shelter 8 years before. I quickly fell in love with him and he became the center of attention around our family. As he grew up, he seemed to know when something was wrong with one of the family. He always stayed right beside the ill person. One day, while at a garage sale, I fell and broke my leg. When I came home, I slept in the recliner because it was much easier for me. Every night, Angel Cotton would sleep on one cornor of the chair and Angel Pacer would sleep beside me in the chair. He was less than a year old when this happened. He was so amazing.

More recently, he had gotten where he like to sit in my husband's lap when he was trying to read the paper. Angel Pacer would jump up and stand in his lap until Bert told him to lie down. Then he would stay there until I was ready to go to bed. At that time he would get in bed with me and curl up right where my feet should go. It became a routine that we joked about all the time.

We have another dog, a 12 year old Golden Retriever named Daisy, who is semi blind, has arthritis, and a skin condition that causes her to scratch all the time and lose hair. She had become afraid of the steps on our pourch. Pacer would go outside with her everytime she need to go and guide her up and down the steps. He loved her so much, she was llike a mom to him. Recently, I was given the opportunity to adopt a full blood Black and Tan Hound from a local rescue group. When I brought Lindy home, Pacer took to her like she had always been in the family. Soon they were best friends. Lindy is now looking all over the house for him. I talked to her, and I know she knows he won't be back, but I wish I could tell her in a way that she would understand. I wish I were a "dog whisperer".

This was the most incredible dog I have ever had. Aside from being the sweetest and most lovable, he was also pretty, in a kind of unusual way. It was very obvious that one of his parents was a German Sheppard, but the other, that was another story. You see, he had long, slightly floppy jaws and short ears that flopped over. One of the vet techs thought that he might have some Charpei in him. I often thought he might have some Hound in him, but to make it all real funny, He had a totally black mouth and tongue, pointing to a Chow. We will never know, but this is what made him so cute and lovable. And of course, those big brown eyes that could go though you like a dager. But he never used them in any way other than to melt you into a pile of blubber, then he always got exactly what he wanted.

Since he had been sick, it was noticable that he wasn't feeling well, but he never stopped doing what he always did. It was as if he knew that this was his job. His job, being the protector of our family, that is exactly what he was. With our other 3 dogs, and my daughter's 2 dogs in a kennel right beside our house, Pacer, the youngest of them all, had to be the MAN of the family, the protector.

I am sorry that this is so long, but I just had to tell you what Pacer was really like. He was the most wonderful, loving, caring, sweet, affectionate dog in the world. He was never referred to as a "dog", but rather a "child". I don't think he had any idea that he was actually a "dog", he sure wasn't treated like one. He never spent a night outside, or was forced to stay outside when we were not at home. He ate people food as much as possible in combination with very good dog foof. I tried to dtho everything I could think of to make him happy. Why didn't I notice this and be more aggressive about the treatment he was receiving? There is no way to know, and no use beating myself up over it. Learn from your mistakes and go on. But this was the ultimate lesson. Maybe we couldn't have done anything, maybe we could have, we will never know. But the one thing I do know is that without the help of so many genersous people, their prayers and their love, he would never have had any chance at all. Thank you for all your help and support

:spotMy love to everyone involved with this wonderful group..Thank you, again.

Sandy, Bert and the Gang

:spot

Sandy,

I'm so sorry Pacer passed away during surgery. I'm glad you got to spend some time with him before the surgery. He was well loved and knew that. I too believe you will see him again. Until then I hope all you memories are happy ones.

Juli

What a wonderful heartwarming tribute to Pacer you have written. What an extraordinary dog a nd an extraordinary family, especially that loving mom who did everything in her power to help Pacer. Take comfort in that Sandy. You did all you could.

Love and big Husky hugs,

Debbie and Jack

I am so sorry Pacer had to leave you to go to the Bridge. One day you will be reunited. Until then he is in your heart and your memories of him will carry you through. He is in peace now and not suffering. Pacer you were and are much loved. Have a happy time sweet boy.

Love and prayers

Sandy, it seems that sometimes the most special animals leave us too soon. :broken_heart: I'm so sorry that Pacer didn't make it through the surgery. Please don't apologize for that beautiful post you wrote about him, and please don't beat yourself up for not being able to save him. Diaphragmatic hernias are serious -- much more serious than most umbilical hernias, and the surgery to repair them is much riskier because multiple organs may have been damaged.

Did the vet say whether the hernia might have been the result of trauma - when poor Pacer was thrown from a car? Sounds like that happened quite a while ago, so perhaps it was congenital instead.

Rest assured that if there is a Heaven, Pacer will be waiting for you. :rose: And he might just "visit" in the meantime, to check on you and the other critters.

Sandy, my heart goes out to you and your family during this painful time. Thank you for giving Pacer a second chance and for teaching him to trust and love. Please know he is no longer in pain and running free. Rest in Peace sweet Pacer.

:spot

Kim and the the other members of IMOM,

You beautiful post have truly made this a much easier time. I cry every time I read them, but that is the good part, they are there for me to be able to read when I just need to feel close to him. I want you all to know how very much I appreciate you and your furbabies. May all of you have a wonderful and healthy life together and may we all meet Pacer at Rainbow Bridge when we go to heaven. I am sure that there will be many of our "old friends" there waiting for us.

Rest peacefully, my love. Mommy loves you.

Sandy and Bert and the gang

Sandy please know that this does not have to be the end of your journey with IMOM, we are a family and are here for each other. You are more then welcome to stay a part of our family and keep us posted on your other fur-babies and when you feel down and want to talk about Pacer, we will all be here waiting to comfort you.

You can also give support to our other PIN's that are currently trying to raise funds for their fur-kids. IMOM has an amazing family of donors and supporters. The emotional support is so important to our PIN's and we would love to have another supporter here at IMOM when you feel up to it.

Our prayers and thoughts are with you.

Sandy I just found this, I'm so sorry about Pacer. You did everything you could for him and you took a very scared baby and turned him into a wonderful boy. He had a wonderful two years with you and the best life a dog could ask for. Thank you for finding IMOM so we could get to know you and Pacer. And like Diana said, you would be more that welcome to stay around, we are here for you.

Rest in peace Pacer :animcndc_sm:

Hi,

this is the first time I have posted in a while, it just seemed so hard to talk about Pacer knowing that he will never be here to hold or talk to again. I love all of you so much. The rest of the gang is doing good and the new members of the family, (my son's 2 dogs) are also great. Just after Pacer died, my son got charged with a "dog bite" charge. Of course, the judge never saw the dog that was supposedly involved so he judged both of them to be "vicious dogs" and told my son that he would have to get rid of all his dogs or go to jail. they had picked up 2 of the 4 and had them at the Animal Shelter. The female got sick and had to have surgery, which my son has to pay for, and the male was very lonely. They are all Pit Bulls and as sweet as they can be. It is not the breed of dog, it is the way they are raised. They guy lied about what had happened and "forgot" to mention that he was throwing rocks at them. So, I told the judge that I would take "Honey" and we would build a pen with a top on it for Bo. Now we have Honey at our house along with her 5 month old pup, Riptide. He is a little monster, but a cutie. I wish I could afford to help Jim pay the vet bill, it is only $4OO.OO, BUT i JUST CAN'T. I took Honey to visit at the Humane Society today and she was a doll. she kissed everyone and paid no attention to the cats then laid down by Kathy while she did her work. It was great.

Just wanted everyone to know how things are going and what is going on. Talk to you all later.

Love and thanks for everything.

Sandy and the Fur-bie gang of 18(now) :kittydrinking::rose::rose::spot

:thanks3:

Sandy, I'm glad you were able to take your son's 2 dogs. Will you be able to spay/neuter Honey and Riptide (if they're not already)?

Thank yo for all your support and love. I am woring on getting Honey spayed. She is such a beautiful and sweet dog. She is also very loving, just a normal dog, nothing like what the judge things she is.

Thanks again for your support.

Sandy, I am not sure where you live but here in Arizona the Humane Society would spay/neuter Pit bulls for free, please try to contact your nearest Humane Society or Animal Control office and see if they offer a similar program. If not there has to be a low cost spay and neuter clinic that would cost you much less then going to a vets office. We also have an organization called Maddie's fund, they are located in other areas as well.

Here is the link http://www.maddiesfund.org/projects/maricopa_spay.html

Please don't wait until you save enough money to have Honey spayed, something will always come up and before you know it, Honey may wind up pregnant or worse.

PS I also have a pit bull named Angel and she is the sweetest dog, it is so sad that Pit Bulls get such a bad rap. Good Luck to you.

Sandy, I'm so sorry that Pacer has gone to the Bridge. Fly free, little one.
OMG sandy i am soooooooooooo so very sorry you lost Pacer. his short life was so filled with love by you and your LARGE family, he felt ever stroke of your hands and the love flowed between them, just for him. IMOM ANGELS go the extra mile for us. they saved my boy Harley Mascke and gave ME 3 years i woul not have had. I tell every one about this web site. i make a misson to tell people. i meet people all over the place and i explain the misson and ask them to log on. GOD puts genorous people in our live's to give us a helping hand with our "fur-babies" IMOM sent us an angel, who donated so much money, i still cry thinking, someone who never met me or my Harley-boy actually donated the money. WOW, way over wonderful !!!!!!!!!!! GOD bless you sandy for loving Pacer as you did. harleysmom peg