Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Kyle imom

Garfield:Fund Raising Suspended

35 posts in this topic

Diagnosis: Broken jaw - unable to eat - this is very urgent.

Amount Needed: $569.

Neutered? No but included in the vet's estimate.

Caseworker: Kyle

Garfield was injured in an accident. He's already been in the hospital 2 weeks, awaiting treatment. He needs a procedure to put his broken jaw back into place so that he can eat.

We have no photo of Garfield right now, and no time to build a formal Web page for him. You can help him by going to Donations. Please mark your gift "GF - Garfield Vieira." Thank you!

Garfield's owner has limited computer access, and may have difficulty posting immediately.

Here's a note from his owner:

My cat's my buddy, and being I'm in between jobs it's difficult to come up with the money. He's going to need to get better.

I want to get his jaw put back in place, but it happened when I am between jobs, so I'm out of money and trying to get another job. I should have one in the next few days

imom.gif

Oh Kyle, this sounds so awful. How are they getting nutrition into Garfield at this point? Poor baby.

IMOM angels...this poor guy needs our help...no only does his owner not have access to the computer at all times but he's not able to eat...

He needs to get his jaw fixed...this is truly an emergency...this special little kitty needs help...Please, can we get him fixed...Judy

I am sending a $50 donation in memory of My Black and White Kitty, a feral Tuxedo who has shared my yard and stairs for the last three years. He became an Angel on January 12, 2008.

I hope this helps

Kathy

It has come to our attention that Garfield was injured by his owner. We are suspending fund raising while we and the vet attempt to have Garfield relinquished to the clinic. Much as we want to help Garfield, we can't fix him only to be sent back to an abusive situation.

We apologize for this and will post again when we have further information.

Cindy/IMOM

I feel soooo bad for this lil guy. This sounds painful. I have a pin here at IMOM so I'm not able to help, but I wish you and Garfield the best of luck.

Crystal & Bucca Dog

It has come to our attention that Garfield was injured by his owner.

And then he has the nerve to say "my cat's my buddy." #%*&!!!! Thanks for telling us what's going on, Cindy. Sounds like the vet is trying to do the right thing for this kitty and that is always much appreciated.

I almost posted in the thread lastnight asking about how the injury happened... but for some reason ..... I didn't. I think I knew the answer.

I really hope the owner does the right thing and turns Garfield over.

OMG how horrible. I will help Garfield too but like Celia said only if he's relinquished.

Folks, we're trying hard to convince the owner to do the right thing, so on the offchance he visits the forum, we're going to close the thread for now. All that matters at the moment is getting that poor baby his surgery. The vet says he's a real sweetheart :broken_heart:

Thanks to everyone who has already helped and offered to help. We'll reopen the thread once we have more information/a resolution. The vet has promised to call us once they reach the owner. Luckily it's a practice we know very well.

Thanks for understanding,

Cindy/IMOM

Thanks Cindy, I do hope the owner will help him get the help he needs. And yes we will do everything we can to help. Poor little guy.

The vet's office hasn't heard from Garfield's owner yet. When they do, they will contact us. The doctor who is personally caring for Garfield is out today but will be back in tomorrow and we may know more then.

I wish we had better news :sad:

Cindy/IMOM

I can't believe what I was reading about Garfield, my prayers

are already in for him. That guy need to be punished, I think that

is animal cruelty and he deserves to face justice on Garfield's name.

I hope Garfield get the help he needs and this horrible situation

be solved and this horrendus episode will go away like a sad page of his past.

God bless Garfield and help him!!!!!

Winster and Manuel Cordovi

Thank you for calling, Cindy. I have all fingers crossed for Garfield, hoping for a happy ending to the story.

Tracy :heart::stripekitty:

Poor Garfield, I hope he can get his jaw fixed. this is so sad

This certainly is one of the times I want to see the veterinarian hold onto the animal unless/until the bill is paid.... and put a premium on the boarding charges (until Garfield is surrendered).

I hope this is in a state that has strict enforcement of cruelty laws.

Praying for Garfield and for the vet who seems to be doing all they can to keep him safe.

OMG... poor little guy... to have some you love and trust hurt you like that. %*%()$#_&^% I don't know if I missed it.. I looked but didn't see.. is Garfield now at the vet's office?? I pray he is.

Mike and I are praying hard for you little Garfield.

Edited by MikesMom

I just got off the phone with the vet who has been personally caring for Garfield, and the vet's office went ahead with surgery without us. They did what they could to treat Garfield; they were able to do some orthopedic work and repair the jaw to some extent. Garfield has decent range of motion in the jaw, and the vet said that he should be just fine, even if his jaw functionality is never back to 100%. He is eating well and seems to be feeling pretty good.

They have not gotten the owner to agree to surrender Garfield. The vet said they are continuing to talk with the owner (Garfield is still in the hospital). If they are able to get the owner to agree to surrender him, they will work to find a home for Garfield.

If you donated to Garfield and would like your donation directed to another PIN, please write treasurer @ imom.org (remove spaces). Otherwise your donation will be applied to our General Fund, where it will allow us to make pledges to help other pets in need.

If we hear anything further about Garfield, we will be sure to let you know. I do hope that this sweet boy's story has a happy ending.

I pray that Garfield is taken care of by this compassionate vet.

I am wondering why the vet cannot press charges with the local authorities or human society?

I pray that all will be well for Garfield. Judy

I pray that Garfield is taken care of by this compassionate vet.

I am wondering why the vet cannot press charges with the local authorities or human society?

I pray that all will be well for Garfield. Judy

Judy,

As long as the owner maintains it was an accident, they don't have grounds. I asked if they could claim abandonment, and they said that takes weeks. I have no doubt they are doing all they can - they are a great practice and have helped many IMOM pins (some who are still here today).

I'm so glad Garfield got some help, and hope they can browbeat the owner into giving him up.

Cindy/IMOM

Cindy, thanks for your quick reply...If this is a vet that IMOM has used I will have faith and hope for the best for this kitty...Judy

God Bless the vet for doing the surgery on this poor sweet baby, and thank God he's going to be ok.

I'm wondering, though, if this guy (the owner) admitted to hurting Garfield (and I can't understand "why" he would have admitted to something so horrendous in the first place)... why then would he change his statement and claim it's an accident when he's already put his head on the line. The fact is... if he hurt Garfield.. he hurt Garfield. People who do s___ like this should have the same thing done to them.

I am new to this web site and have read so many beautiful things and have read so much love and caring here. I hate to kill bugs never mind hurt any animals. How can someone hurt their pet then try and pawn of the bill to fix his cruelity. I just can not comprehend anyone being that cold and say they love their pet. I hope someone takes this beautiful helpless animal away from this horrible person and that a kindhearted person adopts him.

God bless the vet that went ahead and did the surgery anyhow without money in advance like some would do. This is a true Vet that loves animals and he seems to be doing everything he can to protect this angel.

My prayers are with this little Kitty.

Cathy