Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Debs

Riley and Jake

62 posts in this topic

Thanks Paula and Julie. I was going to post about it but with everyone else having problems I just didn't feel right.

For anyone who is interested.

Jake goes in tomorrow for surgery to remove a lump on his chest. I found it a year ago and it was about 1cm they did a needle aspiration and it was fatty cells. In a year it has grown to 2.4cm and we have tried several aspirations and the last time she got some cells that weren't fatty but when she got them on the slide they were broken and unrecognizable.

She is 98% sure that its not cancer, but I can't live with thinking that 2% could change everything so we are taking it off and sending it out for biopsy.

I'll post here tomorrow after he's out of surgery.

Thanks everyone.

U gotta know Deb, that we all care for Jakiepoo, and all ur kids!

We'll be sending up positive thoughts and prayers that Jake does fine, and it's benign!

Big hugs!

Now for Jake. My favorite breed of dog is the Rottweiler. My ex had one and bear was part Rotti. They are a noble breed and full of fun and great family dogs. I got it in my head that Riley needed a play mate. I adopted a female rotti from the same SPCA, but I had to return her, she was snarling and growling at the cats and my cats are very dog friendly and I don't know what I would have done if she got a hold of one of them. I went back to petfinder.com and started looking. I found Jake he's from a town about 3 hours away from me. A lady had rescued him when he was 3-4 months old. A family had him chained to a dog house with a 4ft log chain around his neck and their kids teased him. She had him for about 6 months she said he had no manners, she couldn't do anything with him so she put him in one of her kennels. They also used him to test the great danes they rescued to see if they were dog friendly. So I arranged to have her bring him here so she could see where he would live. He was a holy terror. Jumped on everyone, clobbered poor Riley god knows how many times. Everyone said to let them sort it out, but I could see Riley shutting back down. He would go in the bedroom as soon as we came in the house. Jake was wired and was all over the place. He was craving attention and wanted it all. Eventually we got working with Jake and he has come so far. He's learned his manners at least 90% of the time which was better than the 0% when I got him. He steps back and lets Riley have his attention. He is just all around a great dog now. Still not perfect but who is. He loves to play soccer and fetch tennis balls and chase Tyson my cat. They have a game they play. He just loves everyone and still gets a little too excited sometimes but he's only going on 4. He still has his tail which was weird and we think he is a mix not a purebred but who cares, I've always liked mutts better anyways. He's my monster dog but I love him and I can't imagine what his life would have been like if I hadn't brought him home.

Here is Jake when I first got him. He was a skinny little runt.

Jake4.jpg

And here he is now.

jake85.jpg

if you want good health of dog than please visit www.doggonepain.us

U gotta know Deb, that we all care for Jakiepoo, and all ur kids!

We'll be sending up positive thoughts and prayers that Jake does fine, and it's benign!

Big hugs!

Thanks Cindy. I also decided to go with the full blood work (only $30 more) and make sure that there are no signs of bone cancer or anything else.

I dropped Mad Jake off at the vets this morning. He was hyped right up. The Vet asked if this was his calm mode and I told her no. He'd had no breakfast but he was jumping around and trying to get her to pet him. She said she would call me about Noon when he was waking up to let me know how it went. Its going to be a long 3 1/2 hours I can tell ya.

I got Jakes crate set up last night. Tigger was the first one in it and he approves

post-417-1221135934_thumb.jpg

post-417-1221135959_thumb.jpg

This is a huge crate, plenty of room for him to move around and stretch out. I think my friend said it cost $180, so I think I'm going to invest in one later on and get rid of the small one I have. This way if I have to leave him in it again I don't have to worry about borrowing one again.

post-417-1221135979_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone for the thoughts and prayers, I'll let you know as soon as I can.

Jake is out of surgery. Not quite awake yet. She didn't have to cut into the muscle, she said it didn't look like it went into the muscle but she took some off the sides just in case. If it comes back malignant then he will have to have another surgery to remove what if any there may be in the muscle. So lets pray for benign.

3-5 days of crate rest (ha thats going to be fun) and a few stitches out in 7-10 days. I should have the biopsy results next week.

Thanks everyone for your well wishes. I'll let you know what the results are.

Thanks everyone. What a day, I wanted to get out at 4:30 to go get Jake and the accountant was there and we still weren't done. I didn't leave until 5 to get him.

Anyways...

Jake is snoozing away. He finally settled himself in the crate and hasn't moved since. He has to be on a weeks worth of crate rest and lead walks only until the stitches come out. I should have the biopsy results Mon or Tues. She said though that she is pretty certain its a lipoma and not cancer. But I'm being safe and checking it out.

He had complete blood work too and all of it is normal so thats a relief. He was a very good boy all day, just laid in his crate and didn't bother anyone, although the nurse told me he tried to get in Dr Reabe's purse to get her sandwich. Thats my Jake always thinking of food first. :ROFL :ROFL

He's on antibiotics, and pain meds. I don't think he can reach the stitches he was trying to lick at them but I think they are low enough he can't actually chew them out. And also on a sedative. She's very worried that he will rip those stitches out by being his normal hyper self. So he's going to be a dopy dog (literally) for a week. At least he wont' stress from being in the crate all day.

I'm not looking forward to getting up first thing and walking him out to pee. This is gonna be fun I can tell.

Thanks everyone for your support. Jake and I really appreciate it

Edited by Debs

I'm so glad Jake is doing well.

You may want to change:

She said though that she is pretty certain its a lymphoma and not cancer. But I'm being safe and checking it out.

I think u meant lipoma (fatty tumor) and not lymphoma (a cancer).

I think it's wise to check any tumors--just in case.

Hug Jakie for me.

Hugs

Thanks Cindy, I will change it, sorry about that. I must have everyone confused

This morning he was doing fine. I finally got to get him on his back for a good look and there is a lump (or pocket) in between the top of the incision and his arm pit. I called her and she said that was normal and could take a couple weeks to go down, but if it gets bigger or feels warm to bring him in. It is cool to the touch and if I am concerned about it I can bring him in to have her look at it.

He ate his breakfast and pooped this morning and it was fine, then the second time he went out it was runny. So I'm taking a couple hours off work to make sure that he doesn't have it again. He's sleeping in the small crate. I think he feels more comfortable in there so I will probably leave him in there today, since it seems he's just going to sleep and move him to the bigger crate when he's ready. I'll be home all day tomorrow so he won't have to go in there.

Last night I woke him up to pee before we went to bed and when we went in he seemed uncomfortable and just laid there so I got on the floor with him and made him lay back and just kept petting his head until he went to sleep. Poor guy is just not sure whats going on.

Hey Deb,

I'm glad you posted this morning. I must have just missed you online. When I got to the computer, I saw you were there, but I had to reboot and when the system came up you were gone. I'm glad you were able to stay home a little while this morning to keep an eye on the big guy.

Give all the furkids hugs for me when you get home, and don't forget to tell Jake that Auntie Jo is very, very proud of him. I'll talk to you later.

Love You

Thanks Diana.

Thanks so much everyone. Jake is doing "okay" I haven't given him his pain meds yet, I'm trying to hold off since he seems to be too active when he gets it during the day and then at night he's uncomfortable sleeping. So I'm hoping to get him thru most of the day without it and then he can sleep comfortably tonight. I may also call the vet today and ask if I can give him one in the morning and one at night. But he's so active when he's on it I would just rather he rest and not move around too much.

I felt like the worst mom in the world yesterday when I had to leave him behind in the crate. He was crying and whining and it took everything I had not to go back and let him out. I even got to the end of the driveway and shut the truck off and could still hear him. All day long at work I just worried about him and the day couldn't go fast enough. He was fine when I got home. He's licking his stitches but not able to chew at them. However I put a tank top on him to cover it up so he can't get to it. I thought that was going to be hard getting it on him but he sat there like a trooper while I put it on and tied it up. He looks quite smart in his tank top. :kiss

The only thing I'm worried about is he hasn't pooped since yesterday morning. And that was just a little bit of diarrhea. he went out and peed this morning but hasn't asked to go out since breakfast 1 1/2 hours ago.

He is being very good on the lead though. He sits while I put it on him and goes on the steps and stays with me instead of running off like he used to. I almost think I have a very well trained dog now. I'm sure his exuberance will return once he's feeling better, but in the mean time I'm taking full advantage and getting a little bit of training in there. Just in case.

He is laying by my feet snoozing. I'm hoping it will be a quiet day for him.

Jake is doing fine. He had some drainage so we went in tonight and had the vet take a peak. she said its healing nicely and that everything looks fine. So Saturday hopefully stitches will come out and the infection (if thats what it is) will be gone too. And we can get back to normal. I can't believe how much this has changed our routine and how much Riley especially depends on our stable routine. He's been having some trouble adjusting and is reverting back to not doing what he knows he supposed to do. And generally seems a little bit confused and upset. I'm trying to keep things as normal as possible but its not easy.

he's wearing a tank top so he can't lick at it. He doesn't seem to mind it at all.

post-417-1221612375_thumb.jpg

post-417-1221612421_thumb.jpg

Came to check on Jake. Hopefully he'll be able to get back to his normal routine soon. At first it looked like Jake was wearing a bra. Don't tell him I said that!

WONDERFUL NEWS. JAKES TUMOR IS A LIPOMA. NO CANCER FOR JAKE!!!!!!!!

I'm just so happy and soon he will be all healed up and back to normal. Thanks everyone for your support. Jake and I says thank you so much.

And I promise I won't tell him Julie ;):lol:

That is wonderful great amazing beautiful fantastic news! Sending kisses for handsome Jake!!!! WHEW!!!

Jake sends back sloppy Rotti kisses Julie and thanks you very much for checking in on him. He lurves attention

Hopefully tomorrow is the last day for Jake in the crate, we go in early Saturday Morning to get the stitches out. Hee hee I'm wondering how she is going to get him to lay still so she CAN get the stitches out. She might be wishing she had made them all disolveable. He's too smart for his own good, I got him on his back twice for a belly rub so I could look at it and now he won't roll over at all. In fact he lays on that side so I can't even see it easily. Little bugger. He finished his antibiotic and I don't see any drainage on the shirt so hopefully its stopped and also when a grabbed a quick feel it seem the lump has gone down too.

I'm hoping she gives him the all clear because last night we found his tennis ball in the yard and when I picked it up to put it away he looked so heart broken. His favorite thing to do is catch that tennis ball in mid air.

I'm so happy tomorrow is Friday.

Jake makes me smile. He's a stinker. Can't wait until he's playing ball again.

Took Jake in to have his stitches out, in one spot where she had internal stitches they gave way so there is an opening but it will heal. He has another week of crate rest. I feel so bad for him he wants to play ball so bad and this morning he brought his ball to me to play (I roll it across the floor and he tries to stop it) and I told him we have to wait until we see Dr Reabe. And then she gives us this news.

He can go for long slow walks, just no running or jumping (yea right). And I have to take him back in for another recheck on Friday. Hopefully he will get the all clear then. post-417-1221924551.gif post-417-1221924551.gif

Here's his incision. I keep forgetting to ask her why its so long the lump was up by his arm pit yet this goes a lot farther than where it was

DSCF0819.jpg

geez Deb that is a long incision. Poor Jake. Please give him some doggie kisses from me and tell him that I hope he gets better soon.

Deb, So good to hear BENIGN. By the looks of the incision your vet did exploratory just to make good and sure she got it all out.

YEAH JAKE!

Well tomorrow is the day. Jake goes in for another checkup after work. His incision looks really good and a scab has formed over it but some is off. I hope she gives him the all clear so he can be outside. I've felt so bad for him this week, its been beautiful and he's been stuck in the crate. he's handling it really well and is hardly whining when I leave.

The last few days I've been sedating him at night too and he's been nice and calm and not bouncing around like Tigger. Thank God so I'm really hoping this is it.

Jake is free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banana::waycool::happydance::aktion033: She said he can resume all normal activities and she loved his tank top. I had taken it off on Saturday when he went in cause I figured it would be easier for her to look at. but this morning when I changed it as soon as it was off he went right to itching (his hind leg is right in line with the incision when he itches) and trying to lick at it, I couldn't get that clean one on fast enough.

Anyways she said that the skin has healed to where it won't split apart, even though its healing slowly and there is still a scab on part of it which she said he may take off and it may bleed a little and not to worry. If it does bleed a lot then call her asap. I'm going to leave the tank top on him for another week just to be safe. Of course he may get out in the pen and decide he doesn't want it on and take it off. Also he won't be sedated after today so we will see how he reacts to it.

WONDERFUL NEWS. JAKES TUMOR IS A LIPOMA. NO CANCER FOR JAKE!!!!!!!!

I'm just so happy and soon he will be all healed up and back to normal. Thanks everyone for your support. Jake and I says thank you so much.

And I promise I won't tell him Julie ;):lol:

O DEBS I AM SO HAPPY TO READ THIS.. YAH FOR JAKE..... SENDING YOU ALL TONS AND TONS OF HUGS..

Jake is free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banana::waycool::happydance::aktion033: She said he can resume all normal activities and she loved his tank top. I had taken it off on Saturday when he went in cause I figured it would be easier for her to look at. but this morning when I changed it as soon as it was off he went right to itching (his hind leg is right in line with the incision when he itches) and trying to lick at it, I couldn't get that clean one on fast enough.

Anyways she said that the skin has healed to where it won't split apart, even though its healing slowly and there is still a scab on part of it which she said he may take off and it may bleed a little and not to worry. If it does bleed a lot then call her asap. I'm going to leave the tank top on him for another week just to be safe. Of course he may get out in the pen and decide he doesn't want it on and take it off. Also he won't be sedated after today so we will see how he reacts to it.

Hi,

What wonderful news for you and Jake. Have you tried Rescue Remedy creme for the itching. It is a natural remedy and worked on our furbaby and on us for that matter.

Labbie Kisses

Linda, Mike, Sarah

Hi Linda, thanks for the info. I had been putting neosporine on it to help heal but never thought of the RR cream. However its all healed up now. No itching and it looks good.

It was funny Jake has never bothered with the tank top the whole time it was on him when he was in the house. I had to work last sunday and put him in the pen (he was very excited to be going out there) and when I got home the tank top was in a pile in the pen. It looked like someone had untied the knot and pulled it over his head. I would love to have video taped that one. I can't imagine how he got it off in one piece.

Now we just got to wait for the hair to grow back in and the scar will be covered.