Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Jacki IMOM

Zoom Manly

981 posts in this topic

Just wanting to send you Happy Mother's Day wishes...You are such a good Mom to Zoom...

How is her bacterial infection? I sure do wish that would straighten out. Our Cody had alot of problems with staph infections due to chronic ear problems...He was multi allergy and that was part of his skin issues...

Just wanting you to know that I've been reading your posts and keep you and Zom in my thoughts and prayers. Judy

:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

Thank you all - Roberta & Judy for your kind posts. I will definitely give Zoom a few extra hugs from you when I get home tonite.

As to your suggestions re: Zoom's skin infection .... it has gotten much better.....it's just that the stupid thing won't quit. I will ask about "culture" when I

speak with vet next time - I thought he did a scraping last time. My layman's opinion is that each time it's been treated hasn't been long enough ....what I gleaned from various websites on this, is that it should be treated for 6 weeks minimum and perhaps longer if still present . ...can be very difficult to get rid of.

This last time was for 28 days...her skin, but has gone into ears & eyes. They have only been treated anywhere from 5 days, 7 & l0 days. Each time it does get

better....it just doesn't go away completely ...or pops up a short time after antibiotics are finished! It really irks me that she never had this before she was

hospitalized at Tufts and they ignored it or said it was "dry skin" (which I thought!)

for so long until it was treated. Now a year later, "my baby" is still dealing with

this!

But on a positive note, Zoom's alive.... eating, hasn't thrown up in awhile, I think we have her insulin at a good level for her ......she continues to growl at the syringe at medicine time as she hops onto to her pillow on my lap so I can give her the shot! So I feel, all considered, we are both blest! I talk to her all about

these people I don't even know that care about her....that pray for her ....and that

make possible for our life's journey to continue with the generosity of her sponsors

and angels and many caring hearts! Hugs from both of us to you

all!! :thanks3::thanks3::thanks3:

So that's about it for now ....hope all of you are doing well and your fur babies

are too!

:hugs:

Susan & Zoom

Hello Susan and Zoom, I have to apologize for not stopping by sooner (let's say I was brought over by faith).

Zoom sounds like such a special girl, I am so happy that you have found IMOM and have come to know all the wonderful people that truly care about Zoom.

I will be stopping by again.

Please give Zoom a big hug from me and my fur-babies.

Hi again!

You may be on to something, with the theory that Zoom's infection hasn't been treated long enough. Anyone who's ever taken an antibiotic, has probably read the directions that tell you to be sure to take the whole course, not to stop even if you start to feel better. Thing with bacteria is, the antibiotics kill off the weaker ones, first. If you stop too soon, the stronger nasties survive, and go on to produce more, strong bacteria that's resistant to the antibiotic. So ya gotta kill 'em all. :-) If it were me, I'd ask the vet to do a culture & sensitivity (even if he did a scraping and culture before, the bacteria could have developed a resistance to the antibiotic she's getting) and then provide a long course of the appropriate antibiotic. And do another culture a couple of days after the antibiotic is finished. Maybe something topical, as well as oral, would help, too...But then, I'm looking at it from the human angle; this is the protocol we use with our human patients with infections. Dunno if the vets are into the same routine, but it couldn't hurt to ask. :-)

And Susan, may I say that your attitude is amazing! I'd be in a permanent Deep Blue Funk if I were in your shoes, but you manage to stay so positive and upbeat - what's your secret?? It's no wonder Zoom is such a little trooper - she gets it from her Mom!

Hugs back atcha,

Roberta

Just wanting you to know that your love shows through and through your posts about Zoom...

I am glad to read that the bacterial infection is clearing up some...I hope her summer haircut helps some more...

She sounds like such a sweet dog...I had to smile when I read about her getting her shots...Isn't it nice that she's so good about getting her meds. half of the stress of giving medicines is when they fight you...makes you both upset...Keep up the good work! Judy

Roberta and the NJ pack :collie: (Wish we had an emoticon for a tricolor collie! Guess this will have to do; it's as close as I can find to Chance saying Hi to Zoom...)

I have one! [attachmentid=3124]

post-17-1179829080.gif

Hi Susan and Zoom,

Sorry it's been since March that I posted. I do keep up on Zoom though at least once a week. One of my own PIN kids has been having more problems then usual, so I peek in and just haven't been posting.

I know sometimes it can get quiet, and feels like u are posting and answering urself the next few times. LOL. But I know many people behind the scenes read and NEVER post--but they are there--so u really aren't talking to urself!

U can even look at the number of views on the Diabetic main forum page where all the Diabetic PIN's are listed. It shows the list of names, then "replies", then the "topic starter," then "views." You may have no "replies", but several "views."

So, yup, people are reading and caring abt u and Zoom!!

I think Roberta had some great idea's--and like she said ask ur vet since she is a diabetic before trying. Probiotics would be so good becuz of all the antibiotics. My boys use a powder one, but also use some yogurt (plain and either no fat or low fat--I forget which) and also acidopholis can be used. Again check with ur vet.

I wonder if there is an underlying yeast infection too--u would think there would have to be with all the antibiotics.

I too hope the vet gets to the root of the problem, becuz stopping and restarting antibiotics after even a few days can cause resistence. The vet needs to know exactly what he is dealing with (hence the C&S) and get Zoom on long term and kick this bacteria on it's butt!!!

Hugs to Zoom!

P.S. I always copy what I type before hitting "add reply"--then if I lose it I can paste it back in. Saved me some major cussing at times. lol.

:heart::heart::heart::heart:

Zoom & I are feeling so loved!!!!! I have so many replies this week from my

postings I couldn't believe it! Thank you all for your kind words and suggestions ..

will definitely run these all by the vet and hopefully clear up this situation.

And I agree with what you all said.....I have mentioned, previously, as to length of treatment ... but he still prescribed a short amount, altho this time was longer, yet still not the 6 weeks at least. After me saying this a couple of times, I don't know how else to approach this..... I understand I'm not a doctor, but.... Well,

we're not giving up!

Zoom is actually sitting in my lap as I type ....as I had to be out of apt. for "fly

extermination".....am told after an hour it's ok to re-enter. Luckily, no one's

objecting and my "wild child" is behaving!!! Actually, I think that's due to the

heat....which if it's like this till next week....off with her hair! I love her fluff-ball

long haired look though and it makes her extra cuddly.....but I know it should help

with infection and besides Ms. Zoom hates grooming so she gets to avoid it for awhile once it's done. Otherwise, she's been ok ...well, we did have an episode of

vomiting this week. I knew as soon as I wrote that last post she hadn't vomited ...

was tempting the gods!!!!! But she's ok.

Again, thank you all for being there and all the great responses... I love getting "mail"!!! Hope you all & fur-babies are doing well.....Hugs to you all!!!!

Susan & Zoom

Glad that Zoom is feeling okay, glad the vomting episode was just that - a vomiting episode.

My Andee hates the groomer too, but it's understandable, he's been doing okay with the groomer, but is he in a huge hurry to leave when I pick him up. I don't even get much of a chance to see how great he looks!

:anidogfris:

Hi all! Thanks Linda for your post ....I laughed about your dog ....I know exactly what that's like! My other one (pre-Zoom) didn't like the groomers either.... in fact

if we were out walking around the neighborhood(I lived in the city at this time) and we started down the block the groomer was on .....the leash would go one way

and I'd be walking the other way. She was so traumatized! She was another poodle too. And it's funny, I took such care with them when they were babies when they began they're grooming experiences hoping they wouldn't be frightened, but I guess it's just the nature of the beast!

And speaking of grooming, Zoom got her summer "doo" last night .....as much as she let me anyway. But the long & fluffy is gone for the summer ...and I hope this

will help with her skin problems. Most of her body looked good, where she still has

problems is around her mouth (snoot) and down her neck, eyes, and both ears are really bad again. I still have some of the antibiotic I used last time which I put

in her ears to calm them down, but am going to call vet again to see what he wants to do and will bring up all the imom suggestions.

Have to dash...have maintenance work being down in my apt I have to be there

for. Hope all's ok and furbabies are doing well too. Bless you ....Zoom's sponsors

for all your help....sending great big Zoom hugs to you all!

Susan & Zoom

hi Susan, this was such an adorable description of Zoom:

I love her fluff-ball long haired look though and it makes her extra cuddly.

but I'm glad she has her summer-doo to be comfortable, and that it helps with her skin problems. I hope the vet can give her the right stuff for the right time to clear this up once and for all. Our Zoom only needs to be thinking about having fun zoomin' around and being a very loved puppy.

:spot

Hi all! this will be a quick post tonite ....my back is going in reverse again and difficult for me getting out & sitting. Plus computer I'm using doesn't have a great chair, but can't complain ...it's free!

Zoom's doing ok .... am still working on fine-tuning her haircut but it has made a

difference in certain areas especially around her mouth with all her hair cut back.

She loves it after it's all done, but my goodness she hates the process and it's like

wrestling a mastif ....all the wiggling and objections.

Her ears were looking really bad so put some of her medicine in them ....it does

calm it down, but hasn't gone away. Been busy with my own things this week, but a call to the vet is definitely on the list for next week to let him know what's

going on with her skin. And I will mention everyone's suggestions......thank you

all for caring about Zoom & I. I forget who mentioned how positive I am....believe

me I have my moments.......it's usually when Zoom gets some extra hug and bless her somehow she knows & I get extra hugs back!

Received Zoom's latest shipment of diabetic supplies......thank you sponsors

:thanks3::thanks3::thanks3: and again, thanks for caring about Zoom & I ...

I go to a new back-doctor next week .... say a prayer & fingers-crossed. Will

let you all know the update next week .... I long to be able to walk with Zoom on

the beach! Hugs to you all & furbabies too!

Susan & Zoom

:pp_animal_103:

How's everyone doing? ....This week has just flown by for me, one of those

with back to back daily appts. and with my back it has just wiped me out.

Am on my way home now from leaving earlier today and still didn't get everything done.....but couldn't walk anymore and knew I still had to post tonite.

Zoom of course gets kind of feeling upset when I have so many things to do and places to go where she can't go with me. The "poodle guilt" she inflicts on me, I can't stand it!! Her skin is looking better this week ....triming her hair has

helped, but just this am before I left, I checked her ears and did not like the way it looked; as I said last week did put in her ear/eye meds and they do calm down, but again as soon as you stop using it ......it returns in a short time.

Vet was on list for this week which now it will be done this coming week ..... but she's eating and otherwise I think doing ok... and I'm sure anxious right now for me to get home for her dinner and give her lots of hugs and kisses for being a good girl all day! Which I can hardly wait to do!

Hope you and all furbabies are doing ok !!!

Susan & Zoom

Hi all! Again this week has flown by ....... have been busy with housing things ...was hoping to be able to move to a milder climate this year (my lease was just up) but now, not right now. It would be better for me healthwise and I'm not getting any younger and would like to do it while I can still "hobble"!! But hopefully next time.

Anyway, Zoom seems to be doing great.....her skin is looking good too, ears, eyes

are clearing up.....I'm really hesitant to even write this....every time I do, next week it flares up. Just gave her a bath before I left to post today .....I'm hoping

to make it to the beach with her next week ....where she can romp and be "Zoom"!

As long as it isn't too hot, the heat effects both of us .....but will let you all know how it goes!

Had a setback with my back but not to where it was .....thank goodness!! Just non-stop icepacks! Am grateful for what I have....and especially that Ms. Zoom is still with me. Thank you IMOM & sponsors & angels out there .....I wish you all could stop over for some iced tea and see what your generous hearts have accomplished!! Zoom really is a miracle dog with your help! :happydance::happydance::thanks3:

Well that's about all for now ...the best to all of you & furbabies!!!!

Susan & Zoom

It's been another hectic week for me. Zoom & I unfortunately did not make it

to the beach ....we had a heat wave like everyone else and Zoom goes outside and just gives me one of her "are you kidding me?" looks and does what she has to do and heads back for the door. Can't blame her though ....it was really hot here. The heat seems to get to her even more so since she's had diabetes, I don't know if that's typical ....but I'm just extra careful with her!

Zoom seems to be doing ok ..... her skin is looking better ...eyes and ears too.

Could the trimmed haircut have made such a difference? Warmer weather???

Well, I'm not tempting fate ....and hopefully prayers have been answered!!!!! But

like I said last week, am not comfortable with saying that .... something always seems to happen. But for today, Miss Zoom is eating, not throwing up, and seems

to be doing well! :happydance::happydance::happydance:

So hopefully, this coming week, weather's supposed to be alot cooler ... so Zoom & I can get our walk on the beach in. Hope all's well with you & your furbabies ...Zoom hugs to you all, especially Zoom's Sponsors!!!! :heart::heart::heart:

Till next time,

Susan & Zoom

It's been another hectic week for me. Zoom & I unfortunately did not make it

to the beach ....we had a heat wave like everyone else and Zoom goes outside and just gives me one of her "are you kidding me?" looks and does what she has to do and heads back for the door. Can't blame her though ....it was really hot here. The heat seems to get to her even more so since she's had diabetes, I don't know if that's typical ....but I'm just extra careful with her!

Zoom seems to be doing ok ..... her skin is looking better ...eyes and ears too.

Could the trimmed haircut have made such a difference? Warmer weather???

Well, I'm not tempting fate ....and hopefully prayers have been answered!!!!! But

like I said last week, am not comfortable with saying that .... something always seems to happen. But for today, Miss Zoom is eating, not throwing up, and seems

to be doing well! :happydance::happydance::happydance:

Hi, Susan - so good to hear that Little Miss Zoom is doing well! And I'm glad to hear she has the sense to know when it's too hot out. My Airedale, Rags, is lacking in that department, and it almost killed him, a couple of weeks ago. We were out for a walk (didn't feel all that hot to me, or I would've cut it short) and he was all gung-ho...until he collapsed. Fortunately, I had a CamelBack full of water, so I soaked him down right quick. Even more fortunately, we were with a friend who lived nearby, who went and got his van. We loaded Rags up, cranked up the AC, and brought him home, where I stuck him under the garden hose till his temp came down. Dunno what it peaked at, but I checked it while we were hosing him down - 108! Yikes! Fortunately, there was no lasting damage...but don't you go taking any chances with dear Miss Zoom. (And believe me, I'll not be taking any chances with Rags again, either!)

As for the skin condition...I'd guess the short haircut could help - more air to the skin. Also, if you've been using the air conditioning, now that it's hot, but you weren't, before, that might make a difference. As well as lowering the temp, it also lowers the humidity, which might be making for a less-friendly skin environment for the little nasties. In any event, I'm glad she's doing better in that regard...and hope your back is doing better, too!

Hugs to you and your little sweetie,

Roberta

:rose::rose::rose::rose:

Hi all! Thanks Roberta for your post - gosh, that sounded scary about the heat episode with Rags...... a similar incident happened to me with my former poodle --

riding in an unairconditioned cab (my city days!!!) and my poodle started going unconcious, eyes rolling back into her head from the heat ...even though windows were opened with no ac it really got to her. Had driver pull into next gas station and owner let me hose her down.....it saved her life!!! Cab driver got mad and

left us in the middle of nowhere and the next "shift" at gas station came on wouldn't let me use the water!!! ......Your incident reminded me of that ....am so glad you were with a friend and Rags it ok.

Well, Zoom seems to be doing ok ....had another incident-free week; now I hear

we're headed toward another heat wave so it's the ac for us again this week. Ms.

Zoom is at home with tv on for company in front of her fan. I'm coming back as a

poodle next life....absolutely!!! Although, every time I think of what she's been through this past year, ....she's entitled to every spoiled moment!

Hope all's ok with everyone .... "Zoom Hugs" to you all, especially Zoom's sponsors! Hope you all had a great 4th of July!

Susan & Zoom

:pawprint::pawprint::pawprint::pawprint:

Hi all! Hope everyone's ok. Was on my way to post yesterday and have been

dealing with a stomach virus of sorts .... not able to get too far from the "WC" for

the last 24 hours ...if you know what I mean! Am better but not great ...so this will be brief.

Zoom's been doing great.....eating well, not getting sick, and so far skin is looking

good. In fact, she needs another haircut already ... I can't believe how fast it's

grown in. Hope that's a good sign ....!!!

Nothing really much new ....thanks for being there Zoom's sponsors, & IMOM, &

angels and caring hearts. Zoom & I are forever grateful!

Susan & Zoom

hi Susan, so glad that you are seeing some improvement in Zoom's skin condition -- I definitely think the fur growth is a good thing. Our senior kitty just went through a rough patch, and seeing his fur growing back and shiny makes me think he is doing much better! Now, we need to get you feeling better -- stomach viruses are just one of the worse things to deal with -- hope yours "passes" through quickly :)

:anidogfris:

Hi all! Thanks Kay for your post - my stomach's been better all week and then

starting acting up tonite. Hmmmm ..... hopefully it's nothing.

Zoom's been doing great all week ..... didn't get around to her haircut again, but

will be giving her another "shorty summer-"do" soon. It's so nice to see her

healthy. She does hate those syringes though!

I have a question though about traveling with insulin. Since Zoom has had diabetes, I've always been with her or am back in time for her insulin shot.

I'd just like to do a day trip with her where we wouldn't have to rush back home

for her insulin. Is it safe to travel with insulin in coolers during the summer? How

does one do this????

Well that's about all .....hope all of you are enjoying your summer.....and your

furbabies staying cool and healthy!

Till next time -

Susan & Zoom

:rose::rose:

Hi all! How's everyone been? Hope you and all furbabies are doing well and

enjoying the summer!

Zoom continues to do well ..... she's not crazy about the "heat" of summer and

her favorite places are in front of the fan (preferably on my lap being hugged & petted while doing this) .....or just anyplace cool. She's so funny ....even if I'm going out to get the mail ...she'll want to come with me, and now as soon as she

gets outside into the hot air & muggies the look she gives me is memorable. I

do worry about her when she does go out when in it's warm outside ....the heat

really seems to effect her much more since she's become diabetic ...so I'm extra

careful.

Nothing much else is new here ... can't believe the summer is almost half over!

Although, Autumn is my favorite season .... and Zoom likes chasing after the

leaves and we both prefer the milder weather. Anyway, hugs to you all ....especially Zoom's sponsors, IMOM staff, and kind hearts out there caring about Zoom. Bless you! :heart::heart::heart:

Until next time -

Susan & Zoom

:heart::rose::heart:

Can't believe I just lost my post again! Ahhhhhhhhh!

Well Hi everyone ..... hope you all are fine.

Zoom is doing well ......she's not throwing up, eating well, playing with her toys

and being her mischievous self that I love! She has a new "thing" she does now

when she gets "bored" ......if I'm busy with chores and she's not getting my full

attention .....she'll bark. At first I thought there was something wrong, because

she's not a yapper; then I picked her up ....gave her some hugs & kisses and she

was fine! Like she doesn't get enough of them as it is, but I guess we all have our days when we can use an extra Hug!

As for me, my back is still not great; better than weeks ago ...but not back to what it was before recent episode....but still continue to pray for healing.

Hope you all & furbabies are enjoying the summer! Special hugs to you all ... especially Zoom's sponsors and IMOM staff .....I so appreciate everything you do for Zoom!

So until next time --

Susan & Zoom

:heart::heart::heart:

Hi all! How is everyone doing. Nothing much new here.

Zoom is about the same ...in fact, she's sitting with me as I post tonight.

Zoom's been doing ok ..... no episodes of anything out of the ordinary ....so

am counting my blessings, especially for those of you who care about Zoom!

Hope everyone is enjoying the summer; it's going so fast! My heart goes out

to those touched by the awful bridge collapse in Minnesota ....I spent a couple of

months there on business years ago and I'll never forget how kind the people there were. Also, the people touched by the mine collapse in Utah .......please know you are both in my prayers!!!

Well, that's about it for now.....hope all is well and furbabies are doing fine.

Until next time ....

Susan & Zoom

Hi Susan,

Wanted to pop in and see Zoom's updates. Bless her heart, I had forgotten about her sliding on her pillow like that! Smart and funny girl, she is!

Susan, I get the insulin for CoCo probably like you do, on those ice packs, the kind that are like jelly or something until you put them in the freezer, you know? Do you get those with your insulin? I know the insulin is on the truck for a day at a time or more, sometimes, and the insulin stays cool, regardless. Just thinking that you could go for a day trip using those frozen ice packs, you know? I am no expert but was thinking that was quite doable.

I had a beloved Great Dane, Isabella, who used to bark at me, too! I thought she was barking at something in the yard until I saw she was facing me and letting me have it, heh heh...

Best wishes to you and Zoom for some great fall days ahead. The heat is hard on my CoCo, too.

Hugs,

Anne and CoCo :brownpup:

:heart::heart::heart:

Hi all! How is everyone doing. Nothing much new here.

Zoom is about the same ...in fact, she's sitting with me as I post tonight.

Zoom's been doing ok ..... no episodes of anything out of the ordinary ....so

am counting my blessings, especially for those of you who care about Zoom!

Hope everyone is enjoying the summer; it's going so fast! My heart goes out

to those touched by the awful bridge collapse in Minnesota ....I spent a couple of

months there on business years ago and I'll never forget how kind the people there were. Also, the people touched by the mine collapse in Utah .......please know you are both in my prayers!!!

Well, that's about it for now.....hope all is well and furbabies are doing fine.

Until next time ....

Susan & Zoom

Hi Susan,

Wanted to pop in and see Zoom's updates. Bless her heart, I had forgotten about her sliding on her pillow like that! Smart and funny girl, she is!

That's the image of Zoom that first caught my attention - how I'd love to see a picture of her sliding across the room on her pillow! (Hint, hint!)

Glad to hear she's continuing to do well. And Susan, bless you for always caring about others in their time of need! You're a very special person - no wonder God blessed you with such a special little furkid. Give her a hug for me, won't you please?

Roberta