Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Linda IMOM

Tucker and Justice Van Allen - Part 5

1,005 posts in this topic

Cindy, I totally understand why this worries you, because I do that too -- ice water in the veins anytime one of the kitties' vets wants to talk to me. BUT it could just be that he wants to carefully review treatment details with you to see if he wants to make any adjustments. And it sounds like he may have some new treatment ideas based on his reading, perhaps.

Please don't worry! I've really got to think that Cynthia is right -- if it was an emergency, he would have asked you to come in right away.

Did you schedule an appointment with him?

I'm sorry Justice was having some problems at agility today -- could it have been some residual effect from the Propofol?

Thinking of you all, and sending happy thoughts to the boys for their trains!

Cindy, I'm hoping that you'll be getting some comforting news about Justice and that the Dr. Fenner situation won't even be near where our minds sometimes take us.

Let's just hope Justice's situation at agility can be explained and is something as simple like a pulled muscle. Regardless, you and the boys are in my thoughts and prayers. Please let me know if I can help in any way, my Ohio buddy.

Diane

Aw Cynthia, Diane and Laurie--u guys are wonderful!!

Cynthia, u are exactly right--I am scared of the unknown.

Plus, I have no control over the boys' epilpesy, so I feel not knowing what will be said on Tuesday--well again, I have no control. But yet maybe I will--more so then if Mari just called and said "this is what he wants u to do". I can sit there and tell him my concerns and questions abt what he is planning.

Cynthia this was before ur time--but several months ago the neuro thought Justice may have idiopathic head bobbing syndrome-(IHBS)-and told me not to treat (with his "rescue seizure meds") any head bobbing. It was horrible. Every time I didn't treat it--he would later have a grand mal seizure. Then Justice bit me when I got close to him during some head bobbing. Justice was totally "not in there" and had no idea what he did, and that doesn't happen with IHBS. It was a 4 week nightmare. The neuro finally relented and said to treat them in July. Then with their 6 month appt in August I took a couple more video's and he said- Oh, he definitely does NOT have the head bobbing syndrome--this is seizure related.

Now please don't anyone get me wrong--he is an incredibly smart and skilled neuro. He saw a very brief video and thought it was the IHBS. When I got some really good video--then he knew he had been wrong.

But that experience makes me a little leery abt big changes.

But at least I can tell him that in person.

Yes, u are right, if it was an emergency he would have had me bring Justice immediately. Sometimes when u are scared--u don't think things through--u and Laurie have helped immensely.

Thanks Cynthia for caring so much!!!! :heart:

Aw Diane, my Ohio buddy, thanks for ur comforting words. I still hope to see u next week. :heart:

Hi Laurie, yes when Mari came back and said he wanted a "face to face" with me, she said they are working us in on Tuesday (9/25) at 1PM. He doesn't work tmw and isn't there this next Monday, so it's the first day he is in next week.

No one seems to think it was from the Propofol--and neither boy has done that after Propofol. Maybe it's from all the seizures he had, and it was only noticed becuz his brain was being asked to do things it's not ready to do becuz of all the seizures.

BUT it could just be that he wants to carefully review treatment details with you to see if he wants to make any adjustments. And it sounds like he may have some new treatment ideas based on his reading, perhaps.

I have to tell u Laurie that u and Niki think the same! I called Niki awhile ago, and it is great that she is not only a best friend , but a veterinarian. She could totally understand why I am concerned, but she also gave me a vet's perspective. She said that when she has a client with a pet that is really having a rough go, and the techs have been giving the client messages from Niki--like for example -- lets stop one medication to see if that helps-or some other scenerio, and conversations go back and forth between Niki, the tech and the client--there comes a point where it's just best to discuss things in person with the client.

She asked me what my worst fears were. She actually was telling me some of my worst fears--she said I need to honor my feelings-- for example, if I am scared he will say there is nothing left he can do for Justice. Boy she hit that one!! The neuro gave me a "quality of life speech" with Tuck that just devastated me. I can't hear that abt Justice too.

I am scared he will say he needs an MRI; I am scared Justice is going to die; I am scared he has a brain tumor; I am scared he read the logs and I should have done some things differently, I am scared he will do what he did with one client and just take Justice off all seizure meds (actually that dog is doing absoloutely great--but a big difference is that dog had never had a grand mal before--only complex partial seizures); well the list goes on. But i think I have thought of just abt every scenerio, etc...

So now I know my greatest fears, and won't be totally shocked by anything he says. I know I'm weird--but that helps me.

Niki said (like Laurie) he will want to go over things carefully, and this is really a good thing becuz I will have a chance to ask questions and be involved in decisions.

THAT IS a good thing!

So Laurie, between you, Cynthia, Diane, Niki and my friend Marty--I am feeling more positive. Thank you ALL!!!

Tuckie butt is sleeping on his recliner. Justice is beside me--he is a tired little boy.

Well, he made it through last night!! Let's do it again tonight Justice...Tuckie too!!

Thansk so much angels!

Edited by k9sign

Hey Cindy,

I know how you feel about the dread you feel about seeing the doctor "face to face," but it could be as everyone said, a chance for you to speak to each other in person (not through messaged relayed through someone else) and to plan for any problems Justice encounters. He may have read about some new breakthroughs that he is interested in exploring further with Justice.

If you want a worry wart, baby that is me! My mom used to tell everyone that I was a "crepe hanger." I don't just worry about what I know, but every other possible thing I could worry about. The nickname is nothing I had ever heard before but has something to do with way back when people would lay out their dead in their homes and I guess hanging crepe was standard operating procedure. When it is something involving our babies, unfortunately the worst things always come to mind. The main thing you need to remember is whatever it is, we will all be here to help you in any way we can. If he wants an MRI we will come up with a super duper incredible challenge and make it happen. I am emotionally invested in the your little guys now and I am just one of MANY so you can lean on us.

Until you hear something you don't want to hear, focus on the positive. Both the boys are happily riding that train! You have no idea how many people's day you made the last few days with the updates. We are all pulling for The Justice and Tucker Trio!

Try and relax and get a good nights sleep with the boys. Life is good and they are both doing really well. Not trying to be bossy, just want you to have some peace of mind. Kiss those boys please!

Ruby Mae & Melanie

Cindy, write down all your fears and questions and bring them with you to the appointment with the neuro on Tuesday. During the appointment you may be overwhelmed with things and forget what you wanted to ask (I know that happens with me). This way you can check off your list and make sure nothing has been left out that you want cleared up or answered. Take a pen with with you too and check things off as you go and even write his answers down if there seems to be alot of info. (It is hard to remember everything if you are like me with the fibro.) Anything that will help to ease your mind.

Oh gosh...I just got a severe headache all of a sudden out of nowhere.

....anyway, please forgive me if I am saying things you already know or if this just doesn't work for you. I feel close to you but don't really know alot about you yet!! With a name like Cindy how can I not be close to you?? HEHE!!

So, tell me... what state do you live in?

Cynthia (aka Cindy when I was a kid!)

..^ ^

( ' ∟' )

....u...}

{ || || }.........//

{..v v....} __//

...<_<___)---

..... not the best but I tried! Take out the dots and you will get a better picture. (it wouldn't stay proper if I didn't add them in)

Edited by Sequia

I'm glad your friend told you the neuro is probably requesting the face to face so he can talk with you directly... that makes sense. Don't you get frustrated when you have to talk through channels? Sometimes playing the telephone game, things get lost in the translation.

Praying for another ice cream cone for each of the boys!

The boys are in bed. Justice has been shiv pawing me to pet him. Now his paws are over his face, and he fell asleep--it is adorable!!

Hi Melanie, "crepe hanger"--gee I never heard of that one!!

It is quite wonderful to know that Justice getting thru the night made so many people's days!!

It still sometimes amazes me how so many care so deeply abt 2 little mini schnauzers they have never even met. Of course it's IMOM, and definitely where Magic happens--and we have been lucky to meet several IMOM friends in person!!!

We have been so blessed with our IMOM family!!

You are so incredibly kind with ur support. hugs to u and Ruby Mae!!

Hi Cynthia, I live in Ohio. I do really appreciate the advice. It's always great to have others give some advice in case it's something I would even normally do--but forget.

I will start a list tmw with all my questions and concerns. Never apologize for giving good advice!

I really like ur artistic flair. Umm kitty or schnauzie??

My name is actually Cynthia...

hugs to u and the kitties

Hi Paula, oh boy, I sure do get frustrated playing the telephone game!! I KNOW the neuro's tech is excellent, but I know she is writng down what I am saying from the VM I leave, but u just wonder sometime when it goes from me- to her- to the neuro -to her-and back to me again--if anything is ever lost!!

Thanks so much Paula for all ur positive thoughts and support. hugs

Thanks so very much angels!!

Hi Cindy,

:hugs:

I can certainly understand why the neuro's face-to-face request would be a stressful proposition. I get the same way when the vet is running tests on Cody and motions me into the exam room and closes the door. But like others have said, maybe it's just a chance for him to go over things with you and make sure you get the message straight from him rather than relayed from somebody else. I really hope that's all it is. I fear the unknown too - I think most people do. But this will be a chance for you to talk to him as well, and bring up and questions or concerns you may have. I like to write down what I want to ask the vet when Cody's sick, because I tend to forget things when I'm upset.

I am so happy to see both boys still on their trains!! :banana::icecream2:

Cody sends messy head rubs and loud purrs. I send lots more hugs to you and the boys.

Tracy and Cody :heart::stripekitty:

awwww Cindy, IPB Image for you and the boys.

I agree too with what everyone else says. Look at it positively that you get to talk to the Neuro. you can go over everything and especially, he can see Justice for himself. He may see something that is so slight and you are not seeing. A second set of eyes doesn't hurt. AND he may have some new treatment idea's in mind, especially if he has told you that he's been doing some reading. Think positive, and make that list. Also if you have a tape recorder take it with you and ask if it would be possible to record the conversation. I did that my first year in college, and it helped so much. You don't realize how much you miss.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and the boys. Especially Mr. Justice, I'm so happy that he is back on the train and I will be thinking of you all weekend and especially on Tuesday. I'm going to try to pop back in, our year end is 9/30 (also Bear's birthday, and I think thats why I've been so depressed lately, also Oct 2nd is the day I had him pts, so double whammy there) so next week is going to be pretty rough. I WILL be thinking of you and the boys, you are never far from my thoughts.

IPB Image

but u just wonder sometime when it goes from me- to her- to the neuro -to her-and back to me again--if anything is ever lost!!

Cindy - I think this might be why he wants to see you - to make sure that everyone is on the same page. I also like to think that there maybe another approach that he wants to try due to recent research. I understand your feelings of trepidation. Given the chance, our minds will take us places we don't want to be. It's easier said then done but try to relax this weekend and only allow positive thoughts. I will be doing the same.

Please give the boys some hugs and belly rubs from us.

GUESS WHAT TWO LITTLE BOY'S MADE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT????

TUCKIE AND JUSTIE!!

:banana::cool026::banana::motimonkey::banana:

I think the general consensus is having the "face to face" with the neuro is a GOOD THING!! So that's how I will look at it!! Plus I will feel better if he checks Justice. Niki said the neuro signs may just be temporary until his brain recovers. He already seems to ne holding his back leg better. But even if he looks normal--like Deb said he may see subtle things I don't.

Hi Tracy, I'm the same, if I am upset I forget things. I'll tell u even sometimes when I'm not upset, it seems docs always get out of the room and in another room, and I think of something I forgot to ask. Usually I just hold the question until next time--but gosh that makes me mad at myself. lol.

I have also had times I have had a list--and somehow skipped a question. ARRGGH!

I am SO glad Mr Cody is back on the wagon!! Chicken and chin rubs to da man!

Hugs

Hi Deb, thanks so much for all u said.

Aw I know how hard this time is becuz of Bear's loss.

Don't u worry abt getting back here next week--we'll still be here, and u can catch up after ur busy work time, and after u take time for urself. Maybe u can take an evening to just "be with" Bear with ur happy memories of ur time together.

I'll be thinking of YOU next week.

hugs

Hi Lynette, oh the boys loved the hugs and belly rubs. Justie's little legs were just moving like I was tickling him and Tuck's just relaxed like he went ahhhhhhh. LOL.

Boy u said it--"given the chance our minds will take us places we don't want to be."

Yup, my mind wanders into the darndest places!!!

I appreciate u thinking positive thoughts.

I am trying to just put positive thoughts out to the Universe too!

hugs

Thansk so much angels!!

I think the general consensus is having the "face to face" with the neuro is a GOOD THING!!
Yup. Think of the times when you couldn't get the neuro's attention. Now you'll have him hostage in a room where you can bombard him with questions. <evil grin> I think sometimes vets feel that a face-to-face will allay the fears of a worried owner. Little do they know that it just makes us more worried! :rolleyes:

Try Jean's method, Cindy, and bring baked goods for the vet. ;)

Wooooo hoooooooo! Another night with no activity! I am so happy for you and the boys. Ice cream all around. I think I will go and give my little muffin a yummy to celebrate with you! Give them big kisses from their Auntie M and cuz Rubilicious! :aktion033::bravo:

Cindy - take a small recording device with you when you go and ask if you can record your conversation with him.

YES, that is such good news. Reminds me of the song "Train keeps a rollin all night long"

Big hugs to the boys for doing so well, and some ice cream of course :banana::banana:

:catwatching: Debs and I must be on the same radio wave frequency.

All morning long I've been thinking about these boys, and then I realized I'm singing "let this train keep on riding... riding on through." But, I'm drawing a blank on the rest of the lyrics.

I had to chuckle (I know, sick sense of humor), but when I saw all the advice on the tape recorders I kept thinking... talk about being nervous, you guys are trying to psych out the neuro. You know what it's like to be "testifying" with all the recorders? :pp_animal_564::peeing:

Hi Cindy,

Glad to see ice creams for the boys. Sorry hear about the struggles at agility. I do hope little Justice is on the up swing and those unusual events were just side effects of so much recent siezuring. You've gotten lots of good advice for your face to face meeting with the neuro. I'll be anxious to hear the results of the conversation. Know that you will be in many peoples thoughts on Tuesday.

Things have been busy with the start of the school year. I've also picked up some extra tutoring for one of our students who is in Westboro State Hospital in MA. The money will be nice, but the drive, and after a full day of work make it tough.

My boys are doing really well! Buddy has a birthday coming up on October 6. He will be 3! Since this is his first birthday with me, I'm throwing him a big party! I'm sure he'll love the attention and gifts. Sunny is really becoming a big boy now. Hard to believe he's 9.5 months already. My baby is growing up!

Praying for a positive meeting with the neuro,

splight, Sunny and Buddy

:catwatching: Debs and I must be on the same radio wave frequency.

All morning long I've been thinking about these boys, and then I realized I'm singing "let this train keep on riding... riding on through." But, I'm drawing a blank on the rest of the lyrics.

I had to chuckle (I know, sick sense of humor), but when I saw all the advice on the tape recorders I kept thinking... talk about being nervous, you guys are trying to psych out the neuro. You know what it's like to be "testifying" with all the recorders? :pp_animal_564::peeing:

Oh I was thinking of a different toon but here is the one (Train Kept a Rollin by Aerosmith your thinking of Its called "Love Train" by The O'Jays Still great minds think alike ;)

Nope not trying to psych out the neuro, just give something for Cindy to go back to and listen if she needs it.

GUESS WHAT TWO LITTLE BOY'S MADE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT????

TUCKIE AND JUSTIE!!

:banana::cool026::banana::motimonkey::banana:

YEAH!!! :banana::banana: Whoo hoo!! Cindy, I am so happy to hear that! I hope we hear it again and again in the coming days.

Oh, I forget things when I'm not upset too. I often do the same thing you do - as soon as the vet leaves, or I drive off, I think of something else I wanted to say. And I have skipped right over questions I had written down.

Yep, Cody is back on the wagon. I'm hoping for a chuck-free weekend :banana: Cody says thank U Auntie Cindy for the chicken and chin rubs. He loves 'em! Give some hugs and kisses to those sweet boys of yours.

:wbd3:

Tracy and Cody :heart::stripekitty:

Oh I was thinking of a different toon but here is the one (Train Kept a Rollin by Aerosmith your thinking of Its called "Love Train" by The O'Jays Still great minds think alike ;)

Nope not trying to psych out the neuro, just give something for Cindy to go back to and listen if she needs it.

My radio frequency waves have definitely been bouncing out there in space a whole lot longer, but we both were picking up trains that are rolling, rolling, rolling and that's what we want our boys to do.

I think the tape recorder is a great idea. Cindy's mind is so sharp she'll probably be able to remind the doc just what he said, and play it back for him, though.

My fave train song is (most likely the same as Juli's), Midnight Train to Georgia by Gladys Knight and The Pips.

I'm just happy the trains are still rolling and moving!!

LOL. Many IMOM friends think of the boys when they see the full moon, when they eat icecream and/or when they see or hear trains in music and books--(The Little Engine that Could). It's amazing how so many things in the "real world" not just cyberspace, will bring the boys into people's minds (and hearts).

I truly believe that when the boys are thought of, even if it's just a few seconds, the thoughts will help surround them with healing light.

The boys are blessed with many angels everyday thinking of them. Thank u everyone! :heart:

Justice tried awhile ago to jump on the recliner, but he couldn't do it a couple times, but before I got to him he made it. Tuckie has been doing that for a couple years where he sometimes has problems jumping. I hope it's a transient thing with

Justice <sigh>. Of course when he has had butt meds it happens--but he hasn't had anything except his regular meds for 3 days.

Yup. Think of the times when you couldn't get the neuro's attention. Now you'll have him hostage in a room where you can bombard him with questions. <evil grin> I think sometimes vets feel that a face-to-face will allay the fears of a worried owner. Little do they know that it just makes us more worried!

Hi Kim, oh I will def be bombarding the neuro with questions!! I may put my chair in front of the door after he is in the room.hehehe.

You know, I told Niki that part of my fear came from the message he gave.

The "I need to see Cindy...", and working me in (when I didn't ask to be worked in) on the first day he is back, and not asking if I was able to come ($) Tuesday.

If he had just said (and I know Mari was true to his message), "tell Cindy it would be easier if we have a "face to face" abt some changes we need to make since he has been having so many seizures"--or something similar.

I would have wondered abt what changes--but I wouldn't have been fearful.

Niki said she will remember how this message impacted the way I felt. She will think abt it when she gives messages to techs to give to clients. She said it was nice to get a clients perspective-although she is wonderful, I doubt she needs to change anything.

Although as u know too well when a vet would want to talk to u abt Teddie--that was damn worrisome. :broken_heart: I still miss her and hearing abt her. I just wanted u to know she is still (and will always be) in my heart. :heart: hugs.

Hi Melanie, oh I hope Ms Licious got a treat to celebrate!!! :cool026:

Thanks for the support!! hugs

Hi Jacki, if I can dig a recorder up, I will take it. Thanks! hugs

Hi Debs, Big hugs delivered!!! Wags and wiggles back!!! I'm glad u told what the songs and who the artists are--I was going nuts trying to figure it out. lol.hugs too.

Hi Paula2 (hm can't do Paula squared) lol

I like ur "sick" sense of humor. LOL.

I imagine the neuro gets recorded quite often since he is also a Professor at the Ohio State University Veterinary College (used to be the Dean there too).

Isn't it funny, but I feel kind of uncomfortable asking if I can record the appointment. But if I can find a small recorder I will.

It's SO SWEET to hear u were thinking abt the boys all morning. That just makes me feel so awesome. Thanks. hugs P.S.--i wish my mind was sharp.lol. Most of the time I am having brain farts or just a mush brain. hehehe.

Hi splight, It is so nice to know people will be thinking of us Tuesday (1PM EST-lol)--it will feel a bit like I have many friends in the room with me!

I hope the extra u are doing helps u to be able to take the Summer off!!

Aw Buddy's BD is coming--how wonderful. I think he already got a great BD present for life--YOU!!

It is hard to believe that baby Sunny is 9.5 month old. I remember when he was just a thought--and then u went to see him.

You both are very lucky. hugs

Hi Tracy, well it's nice to know someone else forgets things...even with a list!!

I sure will be hoping for a chuck free weekend--come on Cody, u CAN do it!!!! chin rubs and chicken for the trooper kitty.

The boys say thanks for the hugs... and wags and wiggles for u from them!!!

I have said it before--but I just need to say it again--you guys are just awesome.

Thanks so much!!

And here it is...

Tuck is at FOUR DAY'S seizure free!!

=============T :icecream4::turtle: =============

Justice is at THREE DAY'S!!!

=============J :icecream3::turtle: ==============

Thanks so much angels!!

Cindy, the tape recorder is a GREAT idea. Whenever there are vet appointments Jeff is very good about going with me to be a second pair of ears. There are times when we wished we had taken along a tape recorder to confirm something when we would "compare notes" afterwards. Even taking copious notes sometimes doesn't help.

Diane

Cindy, I'm just beyond thrilled that both boys are ridin' that train! That is just the bestest news to read.

I wanted to tell you that I will not be around much this weekend -- this weekend is the big pet adoption event I've been coordinating for several months now. I am going to pop in here if I can to check on the boys but may not be able to post. But please know I am thinking about the boys and sending positive thoughts and energies their way. Please give them some kisses from their auntie Laurie. I'd really appreciate that.

I hope that you all continue to have very quiet nights! Big hugs to you all.

Cynthia,

Glad to hear that the boys have had good days and nights. Hope you get good stuff from the neuro, and if you are truly, truly anxious, maybe call ahead to ease your anxiety to find out what the pow-wow is about. These rollercoaster rides we have to go on with are babies are hard enough with tossing what the doc may or may not want to talk to us about into the mix.

Like all the others, I am sure it is just to go over treatment plans (and also so he can whack you for a nice be consultation fee). I do hope so, and will keep positive thoughts for you!

Relax, and have a good weekend, and put the meeting with the neuro out of your mind as much as you can until you actually speak to him. You will drive yourself nuts, otherwise, and sometimes we spend so much time worrying about things that we later find out we didn't have to worry abour at all. I am sure this is the case, but I know it is so hard not to worry, but just push it out of your mind when you think of it, and give each of the boys a big hug, instead when you do, and focus on the fact that they are doing good right now. Each good day, hour, minute is a blessing, so hang in there. My prayers are with ya!

Gail & Mollie

Dear Cindy,

It may be stressful, but at least you get that vet face to face time to discuss your concerns firsthand and hear what he has to say first hand. Going through a third party, however competent, can loose things in translation. Here's hoping that the boys both get another night on the train - boy is it nice to see two rows of ice cream cones! You are on my heart and in my prayers.

Kathy, Puddin and Angel Lucky