Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
StillPuddles

Rusty

10 posts in this topic

Back in June, I received a phone call from an animal control in Northern Michigan. "Could I take a very sweet orange tabby, whose time was up?" I just so happened that my husband would be driving near this town on his way home from visiting a friend, so I said yes. He came home with "Rusty" an adorable, sweet, loving orange tom cat, about 2-3 years old.

We had Rusty fixed and tested for FIV/Felv. He came back positive for FIV. He went to our isolation area and waited a while for us to retest him. While we were waiting he caught an URI and it took a while for him to get over it. During June and July he was becoming a favorite of our volunteers. Rusty loved affection and was always at his cage door, swatting at you if you walked past and talking to you a lot. He was full of life and a real doll!

Then about a week or so ago, he began to lay around more. I wasn't sure at first if he was sick or if he was depressed from being in isolation so long. After a few days he was clear he wasn't feeling well. We have been blessed with a vet that makes "rescue visits". And he has been checking in on Rusty often the last two weeks. He was retested last Friday with a snap test to see if he'd test postive again, to help us know what was going on. He didn't test positive to FIV this time...he tested postive for Felv. We never got to send out blood work to find out which test was correct...

Rusty had a fever on Friday and was given a shot to help bring it down and he was acting his normal self on Sat and Sun. Then on Monday he seemed sick again and on Tuesday he quit eating. I sryinge fed him on Tuesday and on Wednesday he appeared yellow and we hospitalized him. Yesterday his viens collasped and he wouldn't swallow the food when being fed and during the night he passed to the bridge.

Yesterday the vet suggested we PTS, but I wanted to give him a chance to pull through and for a miracle to happen. Instead Rusty gave me a final gift of love by sparing me the additional pain of having to tell the vet to PTS.

Knowing what was happening...I spent yesterday in a fog like trance that so many of you have also experianced I'm sure. My volunteers, family and myself loved this special boy and while he finally received love from people while here on Earth...this is not how his life was to end! He was on a wait list for a wonderful santuary in New York, where he was to live his life in a colony of positive cats.

One of our volunteers is checking to see if her husband will allow Rusty to be buried at their home.... near a river...so pretty and restful. If not, he will be cremated and return to the rescue...forever with us in spirit.

Rusty...whichever desease you had took you far to early from those that had just begun to love you. May you know forever that your passing has left a hole in our hearts and earth won't be the same with out your purrs, leg rubs and love! We love you and miss you!

Nancy

Nancy, this truly is a sad story and it breaks my heart. I think what hurts more is that Rusty was given hope for a new life and it should not have ended this way. I feel your pain :broken_heart:

Rutsy at least had an opportunity to realize there are good people in this world and in the short time he spent with your rescue he was well taken care of and showered with attention and love.

Thank you for caring so much and sharing Rusty's story.

RIP Rusty. :animcndc_sm:

Oh, I am so so sorry. I know ur heart is breaking.

Rusty is running free and chasing butterflies, and just waiting for his friends at the rescue someday to be with him again.

Hugs

Nancy, you took that poor, sweet boy in and give him the first love and attention he had...

The hardest part of rescue is when you lose one that had to leave too early...

Know that you did the best for him...he was LOVED, cared for and given shelter...he probably thought he had hit the kitty lottery...

So sorry you had to say good bye so soon...Judy

Nancy - I am so sorry. Thank you for giving Rusty the oppurtunity for knowing what love is, knowing what it's like to be comforted when sick, knowing that not all human hands are "bad hands".

It's always so sad when one of our rescue babes must journey to Rainbow Bridge without finding their forever family. Sometimes their forever home is rescue and that can be a wonderful home too, even if it's no long enough.

Nancy - you have all my sympathy.

Rusty has found a nice sunny spot and now sunning himself on the other side of the bridge. Take heart in the fact that he had you for his family in the end.

Melanie & Ruby Mae

Thanks everyone! I thought I was doing OK, but then I had to pick Rusty up from the vets to go to his final resting spot. I cried like crazy carrying him to the car...

Rusty was laid to rest in a real pretty spot, on the property of one of my volunteers. They live near a river and have a lovely yard. It's a nice place...hope Rusty approves.

It hurt to place another cat into his cage at the rescue this week....

Nancy

P.S. Aline and anyone else wondering, Puddles has been doing well. A little underweight, but we are working on that. She goes back for a check up later this month.

Sometimes their forever home is rescue and that can be a wonderful home too, even if it's no long enough.

Thanks for this words of wisdom, Linda. That's exactly why I try to make sure each cat at the rescue knows we love him/her. They need to know that there is love on this Earth and those that move on, learn to trust and trust their new owners and those that stay with us a while or forever (like Rusty did and Puddles is) know love too!