Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Tracy IMOM

Ruby Mae Orman

196 posts in this topic

Ruby and I are continuing to work on her waistline. I think mine is a lost cause!!! We are up to 3 short walks a day now and she really seems to love it. I did have a scare yesterday though. We were taking our last walk of the day when she suddenly started limping on her right front leg as well as the two rear legs! I brought her right home and inspected her paw but found nothing. She did stop limping after I checked her foot so she must have had something in there and I dislodged it without seeing it.

Boy, was I in despair for about a half hour though. No money and another bad leg! We are still taking the Deramaxx and she seems to be tolerating it ok so far. She is on the tiniest dose so the surgeon may want to up it some because she is doing ok on this one.

I am working on new pictures of the little girl, but Gail asked me to post a pic of my little male "Poopie" that went to the bridge in 1999 at the ripe old age of 16. He was the smartest little guy. As he aged and had more difficulty getting up to the couch, etc. he would walk up to the couch in front of you and turn around so you could pick him up with ease. He was plagued with health issues throughout his life, but was a real trooper. Here he is...looks a lot like Ruby Mae. Maybe that is why I fell in love with her instantly.

[attachmentid=4844]

Here he was later (in need of a haircut) with his best buddy Simon (RB 1994). This was back when cropping the ears was not as frowned upon as it is now. Doesnt want to post, but I will close this one and try again.

Try this again...

[attachmentid=4845]

post-2052-1190784437_thumb.jpg

Today was a breezy, sunny, somewhat cool day here in New England so I decided that Ruby Mae and I would kick her walks up a notch. We went further than usual and she tolerated it well. Unfortunately, halfway through she found one of those nasty mystery things that pups love to roll in. Imagine my sweet, delicate flower rolling in nastiness. I got her out of it as quickly as possible and believe me it was a battle!

I was unable to get ahold of the surgeon yesterday as she does not work on Fridays so I will call her on Monday to report on Miss Rubilicious. She seems to be tolerating the Deramaxx at this point which is good and is at the door in an instant when I ask if she wants to go out. I am trying to get her out before work in the morning, at lunchtime and after dinner. She is getting so she is demanding it and her little internal clock knows just when she is supposed to go. I used to think it was when she heard the Jeopardy theme song, but in the morning and at lunchtime she asks at about the same time everyday. She is my little brainiac as long as you forget about the smelly rolling incidents!

She is as luscious as ever and I know I have been promising more pics and will work on it again soon. Maybe even tomorrow.

Hugs to all, Ruby Mae & Melanie

Okay, I talked to the vet today and told her that Miss Rubilicious seems to be tolerating the tiny dose of Deramaxx pretty well and that we have been increasing her exercise. It does seem that she is bunnyhopping a little less and her limp seems less pronounced. The surgeon was happy about that and wants to wait another two weeks before she rechecks her. I asked if it wasn't absolutely necessary to operate if her cruciate is ruptured and I was surprised by her reply. She said that with little girls like Miss Licious (under 10lbs) they can sometimes develop a fibrous tissue that helps them to get along without surgery. I guess that is why she was happy to hear that the treats I give her have Glucosamine and Chondroitin in them. She said that as long as she has not injured her meniscus (totally do not know how to spell that) she could possibly get by without surgery. I told her that Ruby Mae's leg is still giving out when she tries to go up into yards on the walks when there is much of an incline, which is not so hot.

She said that if we have to rebuild her knees it would be best to do one at a time because of the incapacitation. She would need to be carried everywhere for up to a month and I have to work so that would be very difficult. With just one leg out of commission at a time she could probably get around with less difficulty. I am praying that she is a wonder dog (Wait, I know she is!) and can rebuild herself like the BIONIC Yorkie! If anyone can she can!

In the meantime I am supposed to keep up the exercise and not take really long walks, but keep up what we are doing and call her in about two weeks if Ruby is still improving. She wants to try to get her off the Deramaxx as quickly as possible if she can. At that time I imagine we will do xrays so we can see what the whole story is. Keep your fingers crossed folks.

Ruby really hates the dieting. She got ahold of a piece of steak about 2 in by 3 inches and tried to swallow it whole before I caught her with it and started to choke! I was on the computer (at IMOM I confess) and heard this awful sound. I ran into the living room and I think my running in there scared her enough that she coughed it right out! This is a dog that has to have food cut up in small pieces because she is such a delicate flower and here she was trying to swallow a chunk of steak! From now on all garbage goes outside to the can before I turn out the kitchen light. She is so damn cute, I would kick her butt otherwise! Please wish me luck and Ruby lots of fibrous tissue!!

My little love muffin thinks she is a :ninja: but all she really is, is a :ferret: But we will continue to :walkdog: until she is better or the vet says enough already! Have a great evening everyone.

Ruby Mae & her faithful companion Melanie

Ruby really hates the dieting. She got ahold of a piece of steak about 2 in by 3 inches and tried to swallow it whole before I caught her with it and started to choke! I was on the computer (at IMOM I confess) and heard this awful sound. I ran into the living room and I think my running in there scared her enough that she coughed it right out! This is a dog that has to have food cut up in small pieces because she is such a delicate flower and here she was trying to swallow a chunk of steak! From now on all garbage goes outside to the can before I turn out the kitchen light. She is so damn cute, I would kick her butt otherwise! Please wish me luck and Ruby lots of fibrous tissue!!

My little love muffin thinks she is a :ninja: but all she really is, is a :ferret: But we will continue to :walkdog: until she is better or the vet says enough already! Have a great evening everyone.

Ruby Mae & her faithful companion Melanie

What a stinker :) My dogs would have had that steak swallowed down all the way to their tails before they gave it up !!! LOL.

I am glad to hear the encouraging report from the vet and am sending lots of fibrous tissue thoughts!!

What a stinker :) My dogs would have had that steak swallowed down all the way to their tails before they gave it up !!! LOL.

I am glad to hear the encouraging report from the vet and am sending lots of fibrous tissue thoughts!!

Yes, but your labradorks are much larger. This steak was about the size of her muzzle, but she was so darned determined to cheat on her diet and not get caught! She has also started picking up "poopsicles" as the vet calls them on our walks! She was always partial to kitty boxes, but now I have to be on guard when we walk and wrestle them away from her. I swear she is certainly blowing the perception of her being a sweet little princess!

Thank you for the fibrous tissue thoughts. I will be so thrilled if we can do it without surgery, but think I will feel better if she xrays her so we know what the damage truly is. I don't want to keep putting off films if she is doing more damage by exercising daily. I would rather come up with a couple hundred for xrays than not know. Thanks for visiting our thread! I know I have been a slug with pictures lately, but there doesnt seem to be enough hours in the day. I like to visit everyone on here as much as I can every day and when I look up it is 11 pm! Give Sydney a big smooch from Ruby, hmmm maybe you don't want to!!!

Ruby Mae & Melanie

I think we are all going to passing on kisses from Miss Ruby-perhaps hugs would be better!

All interesting stuff! I wish I knew more about it. When I bounced down that icy hill like a Bumble and blew out my ACL, I also tore the meniscus. But with people, I guess they do the arthroscopic surgery to clean that up (which they did with me, so my knee didn't sound like a maraca band). I just hope she's doing what the vet wants her to with that fibrous tissue.

Hi Melanie & Ruby Mae,

Just checking in on your progress and see that there is a little bit of improvement so I'm glad.

I was just reading the part where the vet said to do surgery on one leg at a time and boy I really recommend this.

I couldn't do it with Mercy because both of her legs were pretty bad. But, wow, this recovery period is hard with having to carry her everywhere and using the sling to support her when doing business outside.

We're having trouble with her left leg and we're all keeping our fingers crossed that she's not rejecting the pin. The Drs. gave me antibiotics and told me to bring her back in a month for a recheck.

Mercy is not quite herself yet. I do believe that her left leg is causing some pain for her because she is not putting weight on it.

Anyway, I'll keep in touch.

Take Care,

Sherene

Dear Melanie,

Just stopping by to say hi and check on how Miss Ruby Mae is doing. She is such a pretty little girl. Thank you for being so kind to me.

HUGS

Kathy, Puddin and Angel Lucky

[attachmentid=5084]

post-1525-1192674485.gif

Hi Melanie!! How are u feeling??

You are always so good abt checking on other PIN's. I just wanted to check to see how Ms Rubylicious is doing...as well as how her mommy is feeling!!

Hugs to u both!

Ruby Mae and Melanie are Missing in Action, and we are missing them.

I hope you are feeling better Melanie.

I'm worried abt Melanie. I know she was really sick with a respiratory infection a week ago. She had a wedding she was flying to when she was still sick. I hope that didn't make things worse.

Melanie , we are thinking...and worrying abt u!!!!!

We want u to start to

:wbd3:

Wow, thank you all for your concern. Yes, I have been in bed for the last week with Pneumonia. It was not smart to fly to NC as sick as I was, but had the tix and the wedding was going forward so I had to go. As the trip went on I felt worse and worse and went to the dr. on Monday when I came home and she said "get to bed" so I did and there I have stayed. Didn't feel much like arguing. Ruby and I slept most of the week away. Unfortunately, that left her walks out and she has missed them. I did get her out once yesterday and she was thrilled. I am still not 100% so I am going to lay low this week. I will be in and around, just may not post a ton right away.

Don't worry, not going anywhere. It would take a lot more than Pneumonia to get rid of me! Hugs to everyone! I'LL BE Bock!

Melanie & Ruby Mae

Don't worry, not going anywhere. It would take a lot more than Pneumonia to get rid of me! Hugs to everyone! I'LL BE Bock!

Melanie & Ruby Mae

Ohhh... I hope you feel better ASAP Melanie and I hate to say it ... but even if you ARE sick I still hope the Sox get beat tonight !!! :P It's 2 to 0 now .... you guys are winning. Bllleehhhhh !!

Just checking on you again Melanie... I hope all is well !!

OK, Melanie, getting worried again. I hope the pneumonia has resolved. I know u must be exhausted.

Is our diva taking good care of u???

U are in my thoughts and prayers!

Where oh where has our little dog gone, where oh where can she be?

Melanie, I sure am praying you are celebrating the BoSOx pennant win, and not still suffering from pneumonia.

We sure do miss your smiling face :)

I think she feels bad because Joe Torre is gone, A-Rod is leaving, and the Red Sox won the Series.

Oh wait, that's me!!!!!!!!

Come back, little Ruby!

(anyone remember/see that movie-Come Back Little Sheba? I watched that when I was home sick once from school and I think it threw me into a depression-so of course I watched it again years later)