Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Tracy IMOM

Ruby Mae Orman

196 posts in this topic

Ruby sounds like a little devil lol. It is great to hear your stories you can feel the love in your posts.

Sending lots of hugs to sweet Ruby and will keep my fingers crossed that she will be funded soon.

No more Hazelnut creamer for you Ruby...

So what's the donation level needed to get a write-in candidate on the ballot? Inquiring minds want to know :)

Okay, here was my thinking-that it could be a totally different challenge for a different PIN BUT since I can't seem to convince anyone of that... :smokin:

We can keep our regular candidates-we have to. I will not tell you how long it took to get those pictures-there are 16 candidates for criminy's sakes! The good news is voting for or against them is still cheap.

But to participate in the second part of the challenge will not be!

If you would like to nominate your pet or someone else's, a donation of $50 will be needed PER PET. You think those candidates are running on their good looks? LOL-maybe two of them could even hope to! It costs money to join a campaign! BIG MONEY!

Once that money has cleared AND a small picture of the pet has been posted for me to use, people can begin voting. So if you are a Joe Biden type pet who has been running for President for the past 10 years, you have an advantage over a Fred Thompson kind of pet who decides to join in late in the game.

The challenge ends next Tuesday, so you will have a better chance if your pet joins the race NOW!

Money can be pooled to nominate a pet. You can nominate your own pet or the pet of someone else. It can even be a PIN pet.

$10 to vote once for a pet candidate.

$20 to vote once against a pet candidate.

May the best pet or person win!

Edited by JeanKBBMMMAA

LOL, sounds like Ruby will be a major handful after her knees are fixed. Hope u have a crate!!!

Justice is a stinker too--but just like Ruby, u can't stay mad at them--they are just so adorable.

Jean, what a terrific idea...and the write in's with pets sounds great too. Did u answer the question of how much the donation needs to be to do a write in??

Melanie, u are doing an AWESOME job of posting for Ruby Mae--and visiting and supporting other PIN's (my boys for one--thank u!!).

I know this is tough, becuz there are so many PIN's with illnesses, and Ruby Mae is orthopedics (did u apply to ortho silver linings?? I forget).

But as u said, this could affect Ruby'slegs permanently--so she needs help!!

If she can't walk properly, she will be in pain, and arthritis could be in her future.

Thanks angels--VOTE for ....someone...or against someone!!!

Jean,

Thanks once again for all you're doing to help Ruby Mae. You have oodles of creativity. I know there will be voters all over who will be pleased with the option of write-in candidates :)

(did u apply to ortho silver linings?? I forget).

Hi Cindy, unfortunately, Orthodogs Silver Lining Foundation is not accepting any new apps at this time :(

Hi Melanie,

You're definitely not a bad care-taker; you've just got, as Cindy might say, a little stinker :) I had a cat, Orion, whom I had to rescue from more precarious situations than you could imagine - and not just when he would rush outside before you could get the door closed - inside too!! And my mother is a great kitty mom but one of her cats has darn near used up all of his nine lives. Some pets are just rambunctious (sp?) little daredevils.

Oh, if my Cody and Laurie's Coot get elected for prez and V.P., Ruby Mae will definitely get a cabinet position. Homeland Security Czar, LOL!! She'd be purrfect for the position.

All right, voters, you've got new options. For $50, you get to write in your favorite candidate, furry or otherwise. And you'll be helping a very deserving little pup whose mom is doing a great job trying to raise funds for the surgery. :heart:

Tracy, and Cody too :heart::stripekitty:

C'mon people let's see that civic pride and of course that love of all things warm, fluffy, squishy and sweet! There are many eligible candidates. There are those with skin and those with fur (my choice).

Ruby Mae and I are off to see another surgeon this morning to see what she thinks about the little girls patellas. We are mainly going because another group that we contacted while IMOM was closed told us that the estimate of $2600 was outrageously high and I asked our reg. vet to suggest another surgeon so we could comparison shop. She felt that this dr. would be less expensive so we are off for a 30-40 minute drive. This surgeon is a general small animal surgeon, but is affiliated with Tufts and they are reputable.

The first dr. we saw is board certified in ortho as well so she holds a little more weight with me. The second dr. did operate on my previous little man's herniated bowel and was great so there is a certain amount of trust already there. WHat do you folks suggest. Is the dr. being board certified in Ortho that much more important? According to our regular vet this second surgeon has done this procedure a lot too even though she is not board certified for more than general surgery. I would love to hear others opinions. Will be in to report later today.

Melanie :spot

Ruby says "But Auntie Diana, it is sooooo good and it makes my legs feel better...honest (as she looks up at you with doe eyes). SEE WHAT I HAVE TO DEAL WITH!!!! lol, she is an angel. A very persuasive one. Take care.

Ruby sounds like a little devil lol. It is great to hear your stories you can feel the love in your posts.

Sending lots of hugs to sweet Ruby and will keep my fingers crossed that she will be funded soon.

No more Hazelnut creamer for you Ruby...

Yes, Jean is a Wonder Woman and Ruby and I are so thankful for all she is doing.

Jean,

Thanks once again for all you're doing to help Ruby Mae. You have oodles of creativity. I know there will be voters all over who will be pleased with the option of write-in candidates :)

Hi Cindy, unfortunately, Orthodogs Silver Lining Foundation is not accepting any new apps at this time :(

Hi Melanie,

You're definitely not a bad care-taker; you've just got, as Cindy might say, a little stinker :) I had a cat, Orion, whom I had to rescue from more precarious situations than you could imagine - and not just when he would rush outside before you could get the door closed - inside too!! And my mother is a great kitty mom but one of her cats has darn near used up all of his nine lives. Some pets are just rambunctious (sp?) little daredevils.

Oh, if my Cody and Laurie's Coot get elected for prez and V.P., Ruby Mae will definitely get a cabinet position. Homeland Security Czar, LOL!! She'd be purrfect for the position.

All right, voters, you've got new options. For $50, you get to write in your favorite candidate, furry or otherwise. And you'll be helping a very deserving little pup whose mom is doing a great job trying to raise funds for the surgery. :heart:

Tracy, and Cody too :heart::stripekitty:

Totally my opinion and so that means don't follow my advice, but I would want to know how many surgeries of this type she's done and on what size dogs. My vet that did Mariele's surgery was not ortho certified but people from all over our area (including a GSD breeder) use him for ortho operations. He had done 9 just in the six months before she had her surgery, so I figured he was in the groove (hahaha-little knee joke there). Big for me was that he knew how mentally unbalanced both my dog and me are-HA! He will refer out for bigger things, but I think a lot of non-ortho vets do the LP surgery. SUPPOSEDLY it's one of the best surgeries that a vet can do orthopedically because there is a super high success rate in resolving the issue. However, you do what is comfortable for you. And you can also go to the Orthodogs Yahoo group to get some opinions there-it's not the OSLF group, it's their big orthopedic board: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/orthodogs/ But if you only feel comfortable with an ortho vet, that makes a lot of sense.

Edited by JeanKBBMMMAA

I am just getting caught up with all your posts for Ruby...what a GREAT JOB you're doing...your love for her shines thru all your postings...

I am just wondering because I was reading very fast...do you live where all the campaigning is going on?? Perhaps a few donation cans (closely monitored) would bring in some funds for Ruby...

You know, the candidates really can't turn down a good cause right now, could they??

Also, I checked back and saw that I mentioned Ortho Dogs to you...did you have a chance to check out their site and see if they are accepting applications now?

You do such a good job representing Ruby, another forum could really help.

Keep up the good work...you're doing GREAT...Judy

Putting the challenge all in one post for people to see.

:banana: Get Ready For Super Tuesday-okay, pretty darn special Tuesday? :banana:

“The Ruby Mae Super Duper Totally Unscientific World Wide... Presidential Straw Poll”

$1=1 vote FOR a candidate

$2=1 vote AGAINST a candidate

Budget accordingly!

Please specify so we may keep track of the vote tally! If you do not want to post, please PM me after your donation has been confirmed-although this is all in fun so no worries there.

Vote for all your favorites! Or against your least favorites!

The candidate who has the most votes (and this could be the lowest negative number actually) will be named the IMOM Presidential Candidate Winner*.

I will do a nightly tally of votes and post for the next day. This will be a Tuesday-Tuesday challenge, ending 11:59 EST next Tuesday. Beginning now!

*Winning IMOM candidate will not actually be able to assume the Presidency.

Let me know if you have questions!

IPB Image

Example $20 donation-

5 votes TO Mike Gravel ($5)

5 votes TO Barack Obama ($5)

5 votes AGAINST Mitt Romney for driving with his sick dog attached to the top of the car ($10)

We can keep our regular candidates-we have to. I will not tell you how long it took to get those pictures-there are 16 candidates for criminy's sakes! The good news is voting for or against them is still cheap.

But to participate in the second part of the challenge will not be!

If you would like to nominate your pet or someone else's, a donation of $50 will be needed PER PET. You think those candidates are running on their good looks? LOL-maybe two of them could even hope to! It costs money to join a campaign! BIG MONEY!

Once that money has cleared AND a small picture of the pet has been posted for me to use, people can begin voting. So if you are a Joe Biden type pet who has been running for President for the past 10 years, you have an advantage over a Fred Thompson kind of pet who decides to join in late in the game.

The challenge ends next Tuesday, so you will have a better chance if your pet joins the race NOW!

Money can be pooled to nominate a pet. You can nominate your own pet or the pet of someone else. It can even be a PIN pet. Help each other out with this-if you can't afford the $50 campaign to have your pet sponsored for a nomination!

$10 to vote once for a pet candidate.

$20 to vote once against a pet candidate.

May the best pet or person win!

Hello everyone. Well, we went to see the other surgeon and despite Ruby making a terrible racket all the way there and back, it was a good appointment. The doctor watched her walk around manipulated both legs and then asked me a lot of questions. She then made some notes and discussed them with me at length. She did not feel that surgery was necessarily needed immediately. She explained that she could send her children to Ivy league schools if she did LP surgery on every dog that came in with it, but that is not her goal.

She said that many dogs by virtue of their body style are predisposed to the condition and that does not mean that they all need to be fixed. She said that if Ruby has made it this many years without having an issue with it why is it suddenly causing her difficulty. Could there be arthritis or something else? During her examination she stated that she felt that Ruby Mae has a ruptured cruciate (not sure of spelling) ligament in her right leg and that is the leg I told her I felt Ruby favored more than the other. She graded both Ruby's legs LP at between 2 and 3.

She basically said she wanted to slow it down a little and not rush into surgery. She wants me to watch/study Ruby Mae over the next week and determine that it is definitely the right leg she is favoring. I am supposed to approach her from behind and pick up her hind legs to see which one she is putting the most weight on and see which leg she leads with. We are also going to try her on a tiny dose of Prevacox to see if that offers relief. I hate giving her any of those drugs, but my old Yorkie was on Rimadyl for years and it really helped him.

Plus, the most difficult thing of all....losing a little weight. At nine pounds Ruby is a little chunky monkey. I then have to call her in one week to see how things are going and we will see her again in one month for xrays and more discussion. I think I really like this doctor as she is thoughtful and is not just trying to sell me things. She wants to approach things cautiously. Sometimes vets seem to be just trying to sell you the latest and greatest and that turns me off completely. She did say the cruciate would most likely need to be repaired.

Off to make dinner, be back soon and hope to have new pics tonight if she is still speaking to me after the ordeal I put her through! :peeing:

This is the look I got when Ruby saw the carrier I planned to bring her to the vet in:

[attachmentid=4540]

she was not at all happy with her accomodations so she ran over and laid down in a corner between an ottoman and a chair. Her favorite hiding spot!

[attachmentid=4541] Kind of hard to tell what you are looking at!

Finally...home again with my yummies and squeaky toys and no more of those darned thermometers. Why oh why do they use that KIND of thermometer??

[attachmentid=4542]

I will have to show you her collection of toys one of these days. I am expected to bring home presents when I go shopping. Regardless of whether I do or not, she has to approve all purchases. She usually loves yankee candles and things that smell good.

More later

post-2052-1188435674_thumb.jpg

post-2052-1188436047_thumb.jpg

post-2052-1188436189_thumb.jpg

Well, I think I like this new doctor! Maybe the wait and see is the best approach. It's good to know that Ruby isn't as bad off as the first vet made it sound. Fingers and paws crossed, that the good news continues!

I like her too. She seems to want to be very thorough and methodical in her treatment of Ruby. Even though surgery is more than likely in Ruby Mae's future, maybe it won't be so bad. The trips to see this lady will definitely be an adventure. Ruby does not like to be fenced in and I don't like her jumping onto me as I am driving down the highway at 70+ mph. Hopefully she will get used to it.

This morning she had returned to her old self again and wanted her usual yummy appetizer before breakfast. We are slowly cutting back on those and we are going to increase our physical activity. That is mainly me getting my "stuff" together in the morning so we can do a morning and evening jaunt.

I was so sad to read about little CJ last night. I think it affected my attitude the rest of the evening. I always say that I would love to work for a vet, but I would be the employee crying hysterically everytime a pet went over the bridge. Not exactly what they are looking for.

Back later with some new and exciting Ruby Tales! :motimonkey:

Well, I think I like this new doctor! Maybe the wait and see is the best approach. It's good to know that Ruby isn't as bad off as the first vet made it sound. Fingers and paws crossed, that the good news continues!

Hi everyone,

Since it is no longer a definite that Ruby Mae will need surgery, IMOM must stop fundraising. We will be closing Ruby Mae's case, but since we haven't spent anything on Ruby Mae yet, we have let her Mom know that she can reapply if surgery becomes definitely needed and she still needs financial assistance.

Melanie, I'm glad you're going to stay part of our online community. I have enjoyed the stories and pictures (that one where she's reacting to the carrier is hilarious!). And I am sure that the PIN parents you have posted supportive words to are grateful for your support.

Jean, I want to thank you for setting up the cool fundraiser for Ruby Mae. :cool026: Hopefully the treatment recommended by this latest vet will be enough, and Ruby Mae can avoid surgery. All paws are crossed here!

Tracy :heart::stripekitty:

Glad to hear Ruby Mae may not need the surgery :banana:

Michelle & Sydney

The problem is, is that Ruby may very well still need surgery, but the dr. wants to observe her for a month and then decide the best course of action. I am completely heartbroken because it was so hard getting her to this point and if I have to start all over again in four weeks i don't know what I will do. When I heard that Ruby's case was going to be closed I even called the vet's office and they read her chart and the dr. DEFINITELY did not rule out surgery. Ruby is a new patient and I applaud the fact that she did not just schedule a bunch of procedures. I told the woman at the office that IMOM was going to stop fundraising and she said that was not a good idea as she may very well elect to fix one or the other or both her legs (LP and Ligament). I am now kicking myself because I may have gone overboard in my description of how positive she made me feel about the situation, but certainly did not mean to shoot Ruby Mae and myself in the foot. I hope the committee will reconsider. The ruptured cruciate will most likely need to be fixed and may be the biggest issue which is why she wants to watch. I worry because the other vet was so certain and they immediately signed and faxed the paperwork to IMOM. I am just beside myself at this point. Gotta go and try to pull myself together. BBL

Edited by karotskid

I really feel I am being punished for being too hopeful about Ruby Mae's condition. We are being closed down because a dr other than the one that signed on with IMOM wants to wait a month to decide on which surgery would be best for her. If she will not work with IMOM or if I go back to the first doctor for clarification and she sticks with her initial diagnosis then I have to reapply and all the good work that has been done here so far is gone and we start again from scratch.

I have tried my best to be a good PIN mom and help my girl and now by running my mouth I have irretrievably hurt her. I am angry and very hurt.

I really feel I am being punished for being too hopeful about Ruby Mae's condition.

I really think you're taking this the wrong way. I'm not an iMOM volunteer so I can't speak for them, but my interpretation is that Ruby Mae does not need these funds now. If and when Ruby Mae does need funds, my interpretation is that iMOM would ask that you apply again so that a new treatment estimate could be reviewed. I'm not sure why that feels like punishment to you.

Ruby Mae is doing well. The new vet sounds wonderful. The funds raised for Ruby Mae can be used to help another baby that needs medical attention NOW and you can apply again once a definitive diagnosis and treatment plan is outlined.

iMOM set me straight if I've misunderstood something, but it sounds like a win-win situation all around.

Edited by kuhio98

IMOM set me straight if I've misunderstood something, but it sounds like a win-win situation all around.

Lisa,

You have it absolutely right. It would be terribly unfair to our donors and our current and soon-to-be cases who definitely need treatment to ask for funds for a surgery that may not happen. We're not requiring resubmission of most of the documentation than has been previously submitted: when and if surgery is indicated, all we'll need is a new application and a new estimate. In the meantime we free up our scarce resources to work on other cases and applications. It's not punishment, it's common sense. I am sure this owner would want us to do the same for Ruby Mae if the situation was reversed.

Cindy/IMOM

Lisa is absolutely correct. As we explained to Melanie, she is not being punished at all. No funds had been donated for Ruby Mae yet, so she's not forfeiting any money. If Ruby Mae does end up needing surgery, we will give her the opportunity to reapply. She will not have to start from scratch like she seems to think she will. Since we have her documents saved in our fax archives, we won't need her to resubmit them. We will just need a new estimate and a new application filled out.

If Ruby Mae needs us, we want to be here for her. However, until we have 100% certainty that she does, we cannot keep her case open while too many pets who definitely do need funds compete for limited donations. There are just not enough resources to go around. We cannot keep open a case on a "maybe."

We hope that Ruby Mae will not need surgery, but if she does, Melanie is welcome to reapply if she still needs funds.

Tracy/IMOM :heart::stripekitty:

Please, please don't be upset.

This is GREAT NEWS. Ruby MAY NOT need surgery...and if she does in a month, u just have the new vet fax IMOM an estimate and do the application again--that's it--she will be accepted back as a PIN.

I know seeing the "case closed" must be a little scary. It sounds so final. But as everyone explained--it's not final--u CAN REAPPLY (and not even need to send everything in again).

I hope ortho dogs silver lining will be accepting apps again by then, and both IMOM and OSLF can work together to get Ruby funded IF she needs it.

Hold on and think positive that she may not even need surgery.

I hope u stay around and support others like u have done so wonderfully, and keep us updated on Ms Licious. Please.

I just love coming here and seeing the adorable Ruby pics.

Hugs,

Cindy

Good Morning...

I hope you have read the explanation of things...it's a GOOD THING...

Ruby Mae will still be considered to be an IMOM PIN again IF she needs the surgery.

You have done a TERRIFIC JOB posting...VERY GOOD INDEED.

Plus, you have found a TERRIFIC VET who really seems to care about Ruby Mae and her situation...

All the way around, things are GOOD...

If you need IMOM again you will be a PRO...you won't have all the confusion and stress that you had when you were first applying...

All of this amounts to a wonderful situation.

Please stay around the forum...you can still post on Ruby's thread...we want to know how she and you are doing...PLEASE...Judy

Yep they are right.

In fact, I would be stepping back saying...hmmm...ACL thing from one surgeon, not from the other, what is up with that! Nothing like complicating things.

How old is Ruby again?

What is her optimum weight (ummm...less than my cats)!?!?

I would also go to that Yahoo Orthodog group and post a summary of the information you have gotten so far from vet 1 and vet 2. There are a lot of people on that board who have gone through this type of thing before.

I was also reading a thread on the GSD board about cruciate tears and couldn't have gotten more confused when I was done if I had tried!