Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Amy IMOM

Sydney - Part 1

1,027 posts in this topic

Thanks everyone for the encouraging words ~ my daughter summed it up completely this morning when I told her why I was upset. She said "Mom, you always tell me there are pervs all over the internet. So if there are pervs ... there has to be some IDIOTS too."

Rotten dogs - I responded to you via PM.

Brenda - thank you... that's exactly what I needed to hear ! It's not like my doctor is a quack. I have a lot of faith in him and realized reading your post that if he didn't think he was able to do the chemo for Syd - he wouldn't have done it.

Beverly - your right... it is a happy ending for Syd no matter what. She's been a spoiled princess pooch for a lot of years and will continue to be one for as long as we have. AND she's enriched my life more than anything any person any event EVER has. I'd have to call that a happy ending... but not yet... she's got a lot of days ahead of her.

It was drizzling this morning so we didn't make it down to the river... but I am hoping after my son wakes up from his nap we can go down. I might even try to take Brittany. The vet said swimming is okay... so we'll see if she is up to the walk.

Thank you everyone :) I'll try to take my camera if my hands aren't too full to show you Sydney enjoying the river !!

Michelle

Thanks everyone for the encouraging words ~ my daughter summed it up completely this morning when I told her why I was upset. She said "Mom, you always tell me there are pervs all over the internet. So if there are pervs ... there has to be some IDIOTS too."

LOL!! :roll: Michelle, your daughter is wise! Yep, plenty of idiots on the internet, unfortunately. I hope you can tune them out. Like Brenda said: With Syd's lymph nodes shrinking, I think your doctor must be doing things right.

I hope you are able to go down to the river today after all. I'll look forward to the pics if you do.

:hugs:

Tracy :heart::stripekitty:

Good Evening (well most people call this morning).

Sorry I haven't posted more today ... I've been busy busy with the last day of school for my daughter.

Sydney never did make it to the river today. After the rain cleared the sun came out and it got all icky humid. Sydney was panting a lot and seeming uncomfortable so I decided to keep her in the house and put the air conditioning on. That seemed to help some , but she's laying on my bed behind me and her breathing seems hard to me. She is also very vocale (yelping, grumbling, growling, yipping in her sleep tonight - Then she's getting up , getting down, moving around, etc. I'm not sure what's going on but I am going to fire an email off to her doctor shortly and see what he says. I am wondering if maybe it's not the pednisone causing the restlessness. I know I had to be on it once and I was always HOT, felt like I couldn't settle down very easily AND had horrible nightmares. I vaguely remember a case at our hospital in which a dog had to be taken off ped because he wouldn't settle down at all so I am hoping that's all it is.

Brittany had a bad day today too. She vomitted twice and just seems out-of-sorts. Since she is now ALSO on pred I wonder if that's causing her tummy to be upset. She's always been more sensitive than Sydney to medications / diet changes /etc.

So lots of extra love. I went up to my butcher and got the girls some marrow bones. When he heard that Sydney was sick - he gave them to me no charge!! If there has been any silver lining to getting lymphoma .. Sydney has discovered it !! I will let her have her beloved marrow bones again. :rolleyes: About 2 years ago I cut her off ... because she was breaking off the tips of her teeth left and right ... I was too worried she was going to crack one so I said no more. Now, I am thinking teeth tips just don't matter as much ~ if they make her extra happy for an extra day it's well worth it.

So she spent a good 3 hours this afternoon happily working on her :bone: and getting brushed over and over with her Kong brush (she LOVES those brushes - won't let me come near her with any other!) I think I might have taken off enough dog hair to make three more Sydney's !! LOL

Sidda SLURPY kisses to everyone tonight ... thanks for keeping my sweet princess in your thoughts & prayers !!

Michelle & Sydney

Michelle,

I hope it is the pred. causing the problems. How soon can you speak with the vet?

Prayers to both Syd & Brittany as well as yourself.

I hope they both have a better day.

Beverly & Precious

Sorry to hear Sydney is feeling restless. It might be the pred.

Remember that prednisone must be decreased slowly, not rapidly or all at once or it can cause problems. When people take it, it is often 7-6-5-4-3-2-1 pills per day over a period of seven days. That is just an example, not something to follow for Syd.

How long has she been on pred?

Kathy

Sorry to hear Sydney is feeling restless. It might be the pred.

Remember that prednisone must be decreased slowly, not rapidly or all at once or it can cause problems. When people take it, it is often 7-6-5-4-3-2-1 pills per day over a period of seven days. That is just an example, not something to follow for Syd.

How long has she been on pred?

Kathy

She just started last Monday with her first chemo treatment. The protocol for prednisone on chemo is very specific - she will be on it for 4 weeks in weekly decreasing amounts. She's on some pretty hefty doses right now..... so I'm sure that is what is making her feel ick. She seems fine this AM but I just gave her lunch and her medications so she's got more pred on board now. We'll see how she does :)

Michelle & Sydney

I hope that Syd and Brittany are doing better.

Prednisone makes me feel crazy! I hate it. I have tried never to put a pet on it since I've had to use it-but I know that there are times when you can't say no to pred.

I hope both puppers are feeling better. Pred is nasty stuff....but necessary sometimes. My older guy was on it for his ITP for awhile, started at 100mg daily. Was rough on him.

Did you hear back from your vets yet?

Tam

Hi Michelle, my dogs loves the marrow bones, I am sure Syd will enjoy them again. I feel so bad for Brittany, I know you are doing everything you can for them and wish you all the best.

Please give both Syd and Brittany a special hug from me.

I'm going to post an update too ... but I had to share this story!!

We had some bad bad storms here today and after the storms I let all the labradorks outside. They had been out there for a bit when all of a sudden I hear a bunch of sqwaking. UH-OH ... tell tale sign that the dorks have found a fledgling on the ground and mama and daddy bird aren't too happy.

So I run outside to find Brittany with her head real low to the ground sheltering the baby bird under her chin. Sydney is hopping up and down snapping at the mama and daddy cardnial as they dive bomb Brittany. Charlie is no where to be seen ... which means he broke the rules ....

There was this poor little baby cardnial SOAKED ... I mean to the point of dripping wet in Charlie slobber. He had licked that poor baby bird crazy. Brittany was protecting the baby from Charlie and Sydney was protecting Brittany from the bird's parents.

Thankfully, the mom and dad bird were relieved when I got the labs inside and went right to the baby bird pecking at him and getting him to flutter around. They finally got him outside the fenced in yard - so I am pretty sure he is safe for now. Hopefully he starts flying soon (or at least stays out of the yard until he can ;)

When I came back in the house Charlie had his head hung low. They ALL know to leave the wild life alone ... (we have a lot of it and it was one of the first commands/ rules they learned) so he knew he was in the dog house. I KNEW it was him because the other two actually follow the rules. Charlie never does. They once found a baby red tail HAWK ... we ended up having to take in and feed until wildlife rescue could come get him because mama abandoned him after he was throughly licked and soaked with Charlie slobber.

Whoops I hit send too soon somehow.

Anyways, it was touching how Brittany was protecting the bird and there was Sydney protecting Brittany from the baby's mama & daddy. It never ceases to amaze me when animals show such compassion toward another animal.

I talked to the vet this afternoon and he felt the Pred is likely the cause of the panting (which I thought already) and also the restlessness. Sydney's on 60 mg daily right now... and it will decrease starting on Monday. She is going in Monday for her CBC / Urine screens so if something else is going on we would find out then ~ but I really do think it's just the prednisone. She seems to be doing better today OTHER than the wicked thunderstorms we got which made her a wreck for most of the afternoon. She couldn't decide where the best place to hide from the storms was. LOL

The funny thing is Sydney was NEVER afraid of storms until she realized that Brittany is terrified of them. THEN she decided they scared her too. Silly dog.

Otherwise, both dogs seem to be doing well today. Brittany wasn't eating this morning so my son dumped his scrambled eggs in her bowl (he's learning that mom adds food to make Sydney eat) and she ate fine. Don't worry Sydney got some eggs too. :banana: I also went and got some of the EVO canned ~ she is STILL sticking her nose up at the dry EVO for some reason so I am hoping the canned will spark her interest.

I won't be around tomm to post any updates as I am taking Sydney and Brittany to visit a friend who lives 2 hrs away and is unable to travel. He was once very close to Brittany (he was my roomate) and would like to see her at least one more time. So as long as Brittany is up for the ride we'll go and visit !! It will be nice to get away for the day and shift gears a little :biggrin: We'll be back home Sunday afternoon sometime.

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend. Please keep my babies in your prayers. Sydney starts Cytoxan next week and that is one I am really nervous about ! Also if you are thinking of donating please consider sending a bit to Sydney. I need to try and keep her fund up so that we don't run out and have to miss a treatment for lack of funding. Any small amount helps and Charlie would be happy to send slobbery kisses on behalf of his (non-kissy) sister !!

Michelle & Sydney

OY !!!!

What a way to wake up. The house is COVERED in diarrhea. All over carpet I just had to replace because of Brittany's incontinence (? or bladder infections) . This mornings mess was definately Sydney (no other dogs allowed in that room since there is new carpet and we will probably have to sell this house soon). Soooooo... I'm not sure if it's the chemo that caused it .. or this up and down with her diet. She's eating some things, not eating others. Maybe the scrambled eggs my son so generouslly donated yesterday?

In any case, Syd is NOT feeling well this morning. Please send good thoughts her way. I already called the vet to see if there is something he can give her.

Michelle & Sydney

Oh, no Michelle. I hope the vet can give some meds to help stop the diarrhea. Poor Syd, poor u, poor carpet...

Thank goodness it's saturday and u can get ahold of the vet!!!

Please let us know how Syd is feeling later. Give her a big hug from me!!!!

Not sure if you got anything from the vet to help with the diarrhea. Canned pumpkin is suppose to help, not the pie filling, but pure pumpkin. You can also use Kaopectade (not sure if that will interfere with treatment or not).

Hope puppers are feeling better soon.

Tam

Michelle you surely have your hands full. I love the story about Brittany protecting the birds and Syed protecting Brittany.

Annabelle and Angel are the same way, if Angel knows Annabelle did something wrong and will get in trouble she automatically has this guilty look on her face and if Chris yells at Annabelle and Annabelles goes in the yard, Angel will go with her as if she is in trouble too. (It is both sad and cute). Sending lots of hugs your way and hope that both Sydney and Brittany are doing much better.

We had a fantastic time and there has been no recurrance of the messy poo so we are thinking it was NOT caused by chemo (would have been quite late for that - usually occurs within 36 hours after treatment) but rather could have been caused by the scambled eggs.

Sydney REALLY enjoyed the car ride, the visiting, and being outside with us. The weather was PERFECT for her (not too hot) and we even let her play in the hose a bit when we got home (which she loves) . She was funny about taking her pills this morning (first time for that) but there is an added medication (the metronidizole - for her stools) and I think it tastes funny.

Brittany is hanging in there. She has been up and around but she's holding herself and walking very strangely. I am not sure if it HURTS or if she's just getting that weak in the hind end ... someone played a cruel joke on us when they made our very best friends have such short life spans BUT the time we do have is so precious !!!

Sydney goes in the morning for her next "treatment". Tommorow will be a CBC and urine test and now we start the cytoxan for a week (I believe). I am hoping she tolerates this new introduction as well as the last medications. So please send positive prayers for good results on the tests ..... I think I get to pick her up earlier (around lunch time) so that will be better than last week having to wait all day!!!

Michelle & Sydney

but there is an added medication (the metronidizole - for her stools) and I think it tastes funny.

Oh yes, metronidazole tastes horrid. My cat Cody has been on it a lot for his intestinal disorder. Before I started giving him pills tucked inside cat treats, I would just hand-pill him. If I ever didn't get the pill in the back of his throat and he ended up tasting it, he would act like I was killing him rather than pilling. He would throw the most awful fit. People had mentioned how terrible it tasted so I decided to try for myself - yecchh!!

I am glad that Brittany is still hanging in there. My heart breaks for you and her, for what you are all going thru with her.

Quote:someone played a cruel joke on us when they made our very best friends have such short life spans BUT the time we do have is so precious !!!

So true. I've told my kitties many times that I wish they would live forever.

Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are on their way for Sydney. I will be thinking good thoughts that her next chemo treatment tomorrow goes well and that she tolerates the new med introduction just fine. I hope you get to pick her up earlier too.

:hugs:

Tracy :heart::stripekitty:

Quote:someone played a cruel joke on us when they made our very best friends have such short life spans BUT the time we do have is so precious !!!

Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are on their way for Sydney. I will be thinking good thoughts that her next chemo treatment tomorrow goes well and that she tolerates the new med introduction just fine. I hope you get to pick her up earlier too.

:

Michelle,

Ditto to both...

Your an awesome fur parent, all your pets are fortunate to have you.

I'm so glad all of you had a wonderful outing.

Precious sends puppy kisses and tail wags to all.

Beverly & Precious

Will they just give the Cytoxan in pill form??

No worries, lots of prayers and positive thoughts!!

Will they just give the Cytoxan in pill form??

No worries, lots of prayers and positive thoughts!!

Yep...I have to give the Cytoxan at home. She's there now for her bloodwork / urine. They wanted her to be there in case the bloodwork showed something concerning they had her right there for supportive care (ie; fluids / etc.)

She REALLY REALLY did not want to go. She saw the leash and ran and hid and then when the tech took the leash at the office she dug into the ground and starting crying and whining as I had to walk away. Broke my heart. :sad:

Michelle & Sydney

Checking in on the girls too.

I hope they had u wear gloves when u gave the Cytoxan. If not, be SURE to wash ur hands very well after touching it--and make sure u don't touch ur eyes, etc before washing ur hands. Just a really good precaution.

Hugs,

Sydney is home and resting. I did NOT get to go get her early as I had hoped. She refused to go pee for her test so they were hoping if they made her stay in the cage and then took her out they could get it (but *I* knew better and told them she wouldn't go without me). So they waited until 5:30 and finally told me to come get her - that I would have to bring the urine back. I went up there and told them to follow her and I outside with a bowl handy. So we walked out and I took Sydney to a small patch of grass, I told the tech "be ready" and the tech said to me "she is NOT going to go I tried all day". I just looked at her and said "GET the bowl ready. She will go!" then I said "Syd. Go pee pee for mo..... " before I even finished she was squatting. The tech couldn't believe it. Like I am the only person in the world who has dogs that are trained to go pee pee on command or something ??? LOL

Her ciculating lymphocites in her blood were UP (not down) but the swelling in her lymph nodes significantly less. The doctor didn't feel it was too concerning. They felt perhaps the first round of chemo "blew out" the cells and that is why it is showing higher on blood work. Of course she will get more blood work run next week so we will see how it looks then.

Syd's had her Cytoxan so I am watching carefully for any adverse reactions. So far there are none - in fact she just ate some carrots happily so I am thinking her tummy is even feeling A-OK. :banana:

Brittany is doing so-so. I just do not know what to do with her. She's been up and around - even laid outside while I worked on weeding and stuff today ... but when she's standing it's at the most gosh awful angle. She looks like her back legs are breaking. Know how a GSD has a "slope" ? Well Brittany has a slope so bad that you can't tell if her back legs have collapsed under her or if she's holding herself that way. It's terrible. And she's starting to look really really thin. She's been being picky about eating (only eating about 1/2 her food) so I went and got some "weight gaining" foods for her (some Bil-Jac, cottage chesse, etc.) I just honestly feel horrible for her. I was hoping for some more good days, but I am starting to wonder if she just isn't too weak to bounce back this time.

Thank- you once again everyone for your posts and support of both of my babies. It means so much to me to know that you guys are here and always thinking of us.

Michelle & Sydney

Eight years ago .... in a dark, lonely and scary scary place there was a lovely Labrador Retriever. ALL she longed for in life was for someone to love her, but instead she lay in a cage. She was hungry for some good food and clean water. She was cold, filthy dirty, and she hurt. OH how she hurt. Her legs were cramped from being in the cage and not being able to move around... for years. Her stomach hurt with the coming labor pains but most of all her soul hurt. It hurt for the puppies inside her. She worried about them and hoped that ALL of them would be loaded into a truck and taken away from this miserable place she was sentenced to spend her life in. She did not want to see one of her pups end up in the cage next to her serving a life sentence to the greedy people that had put her there to have puppy after puppy for their own sick greed.

She spent that night birthing her puppies. Five of them as best we know. But only three survived. The other two were found rotting under the chicken wire cage rungs some four weeks later. But for that moment she was happy. She had new babies which meant some company, a warm touch against her skin as they nursed, and hope that they would have a better life . She had a purpose for a moment and it was to love those pups and she gave of herself completely.

Four weeks later the terrible place where "LILY" was being kept hostage was raided by an animal advocacy group. In all 42 female living dogs were taken out -one of which was "LILY". There was also another 7 animals that were dead. "LILY" was very ill when the rescuers got her. She had heartworm disease, pyometra, and was so weak with anemia that she couldn't stand or even nurse her now rambunctious pups. Try as the rescuers did, LILY died only three days after she was saved. Don't feel too badly, LILY was for the first time in her life in the arms of people that truly loved and cared for her when she passed. And she went with the promise from her new friends that at least three of her pups would always be loved. Even if only for a few moments LILY knew that someone DID care. Many other dogs in the same situation will never even have that much and will die in solitude from completely preventable illness.

LILY .... thank you. Thank you for giving me my Sydney. I HOPE that I am the kind of mom you dreamed of for her. I love Syd with all my heart despite her flaws, silly quirks and now this illness. I will do anything I can to keep Sydney with me for as long as I can ... but I do know you are waiting at the bridge to see Sydney when the time is right . You will be so proud of your girl !!! She's loyal, affectionate, gentle, caring and has eyes that lead you right to her soul. She's beautiful inside and out ... :)

And to my Sydney, my best friend, my foot warmer, my feet licker, my hard core retriever.... my everything. You've stolen a peice of my heart that is yours forever. I do not know what the future brings, if there will be a ninth birthday, or how long you will be with me but I do know that you've made the last 8 years so much better for me just by being in my life. And for whatever time we have left .... I hope you don't get tierd of me letting you know how very very much you mean to me.

Happy Birthday 8th Princess Sydney. Mommy loves you !

:birthday4:

Michelle