Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Amy IMOM

Sydney - Part 1

1,027 posts in this topic

Wow, u know where Butler, OH is--I always have to use Mansfield as a marker or Mohican State park when I say I am in Butler. I have lived here abt 3 years. I'm from Westerville/Columbus.

There are actually 2 others here that are even closer to u! One is Judy and the other Diane. Diane has been busy with some workshops, so I don't know if she will be around.

Isn't it funny the names we come up with for our puppers. lol.

Syd really did name herself. LOL.

I hope she is doing well this evening.

Please give her a bedtime snuggle...or wake -up snuggle (depending on when u see this.

Wow, u know where Butler, OH is--I always have to use Mansfield as a marker or Mohican State park when I say I am in Butler. I have lived here abt 3 years. I'm from Westerville/Columbus.

There are actually 2 others here that are even closer to u! One is Judy and the other Diane. Diane has been busy with some workshops, so I don't know if she will be around.

Isn't it funny the names we come up with for our puppers. lol.

Syd really did name herself. LOL.

I hope she is doing well this evening.

Please give her a bedtime snuggle...or wake -up snuggle (depending on when u see this.

We have family in Mt. Vernon ... so yep I know where Butler is!! I'm in Medina (about 20 mins outside of Akron).

Syd just went in the living room for a minute and came back. I think she was hoping for more food as she grunted loudly and then plopped down on the bed. LOL

I'm shocked at how well she is doing. I really expected her to be feeling at least a little yucky tonight and she seems to be doing GREAT !! :banana:

I am in Mt Vernon fairly often!!! Small world!! I take the boys to a holistic vet in North Canton, not too far from Akron.

So there is an oncologist up near u?? I would have guessed u would have had to go down to Columbus to MedVet to see an oncologist--and then ur vet would follow their protocol.

I'm glad u didn't need to travel that far!!! I take the boys to the neurologist at MedVet and Tuck to his cardiologist and Justice his Internal Med doc all down in Columbus.

The folks I live with had a mini schnauzer with hemangiosarcoma, and she had chemo. There were only a couple meds that bothered her--and anti-nausea meds helped. I forget if Vincristine is on Syd's protocol, but that one bothered Rosie a bit. But it was nothing at all like I expected. A definite difference between humans and dogs getting chemo.

I am thrilled she is doing so well tonight!! What a trooper!!! She sounds like a character too. I know sometimes the boys do this big sigh--like saying c'mon mom we're hungry. LOL.

Please give her a hug from me!!

I am in Mt Vernon fairly often!!! Small world!! I take the boys to a holistic vet in North Canton, not too far from Akron.

So there is an oncologist up near u?? I would have guessed u would have had to go down to Columbus to MedVet to see an oncologist--and then ur vet would follow their protocol.

I'm glad u didn't need to travel that far!!! I take the boys to the neurologist at MedVet and Tuck to his cardiologist and Justice his Internal Med doc all down in Columbus.

The folks I live with had a mini schnauzer with hemangiosarcoma, and she had chemo. There were only a couple meds that bothered her--and anti-nausea meds helped. I forget if Vincristine is on Syd's protocol, but that one bothered Rosie a bit. But it was nothing at all like I expected. A definite difference between humans and dogs getting chemo.

I am thrilled she is doing so well tonight!! What a trooper!!! She sounds like a character too. I know sometimes the boys do this big sigh--like saying c'mon mom we're hungry. LOL.

Please give her a hug from me!!

Ugh I just typed a long response to you and it didn't post !

We do have an oncologist here (Metro in Akron) as well as one other one that travels to different clinics where/ when he is needed. We are taking Sydney to our regular vet though - I trust in him 1000% and know he knows what he is doing. Have you ever checked into Metro for an internist or cardiologist? They have a lot of specialty doctors there and it may be closer. I know a tech that works there as well and she speaks very highly of her doctors.

Sydney did get vincristine today as well as Elspar (I am not familiar with this one - when I was working it was always L-asparaginase but apparently this has changed ? ? ) she will also get oral prednisone, oral cytoxan and Doxirubicin (I've heard in the past that this one can cause bad tummy upset and has the highest risk of allergic reactions - Syd gets this one every 4th week in her protocol) This is assuming she tolerates everything okay and no alterations are needed.

Sydney was allowed to sleep with my daughter tonight (usually a no-no because my daughter has PALE PALE blue loop carpet that dog hair is a a PAIN to get out of) but my daughter really kinda broke down tonight. I think she felt better when I reminded her that we are doing everything we can for Sydney and that a lot of dogs with her disease would never have this chance.

Last time I checked Sydney was laying with her head on my daughter's chest :)

G'night everyone .... and thank you so very much for caring about my Sidda.

Sydney had a great night though she woke me up twice to go outside :peeing: Ahhh the lovely side effects of prednisone. The GOOD side is she's eating her EVO without any problems!! I'm not sure if she's just hungry from having to fast yesterday or if it's a hidden good side effect of the prednisone.

Sydney went out this morning at 4 am and spotted her favorite thing in the world (other than us and swimming of course) .... DUUUUCCKKKKS.... waddling across the back yard. She started barking and I shushed her but she still took off like a shot. I thought, oh the heck with it and I opened the gate (Sydney has an excellent verbal recall - just in case someone thinks I wasn't being responsible) she chased the ducks all the way across the creek and I stopped her before she plunged in after them. She came back with the most satisfied look on her face. I have to commend my girl, you'd never guess she was as sick as she is other than she sleeps a lot more than usual. But when she's up - she's ready to go at it and be a DOG !!

Sydney's asked me to post this message :

"Can those IMOM angels can send prayers for my sister Brittany this morning? Brittany is 13 and has SEVERE Spondylosis (her spine is covered in huge calcium deposits that are fusing her vertebre together) I had to ask mom what it was called .... all I know is it hurts my sister really really bad.

Usually she does good with a bunch of medicine mom has to give her but she's in real bad shape this morning. She can't stand and is panting a lot, she even pee peed all over herself. This has happened before lots of times so mom says she might be okay again but I'm real scared that one of these times she's not going to get up. I gave her a lick but she didn't even get up then.

I hate to ask this because cats are on the same level as *squirrels* but maybe that Magic cat can send some magic love Brittany's way? He seems like an okay cat, I guess, if he's helping all these dogs. :five: You can even tell him that I promise I won't chase him when I make it to the bridge as long as he helps Brittany get back up. Mom is real sad and keeps saying something about "two of us at once". Not sure what that means but I know it makes her cry sometimes and I'd do anything to make mommy feel better. Thanks angels ... and ... that cat too. "

Brittany, we are all sending you get well wishes. It is so hard when you have not just one but two sick kids and I know how much Mommie wants to make you all feel better.

Please get better soon.

Syd, glad your appointment went well yesterday, you need to keep your strength up as well. Lots of Hugs to you all. Please keep us informed on how Brittany is doing.

Awwww, Brittany. Kramer has that too. I have been doing a little research on Tramadol lately for future reference...I hate to watch him turn around because you can see the point at which the fusion ends/begins. Ugh. I hope it's just a bad day due to humidity.

Awwww, Brittany. Kramer has that too. I have been doing a little research on Tramadol lately for future reference...I hate to watch him turn around because you can see the point at which the fusion ends/begins. Ugh. I hope it's just a bad day due to humidity.

Thank you Jean for your thoughts for Brittany. I am really worried.... she's been "down" before but never for this long and she's now salivating a lot. I don't have any way to take her to the vet so I called and am waiting to hear from them. Here are pictures of everyone just a little while ago... the way Brittany is laying is so unnatural - she must be hurting bad. I've picked her up and put her on the bed several times but she's pushing with her back legs trying to get off the bed... not sure if she's hot on there or what :sad: Please everyone keep Brittany in your thoughts. I'm scared this might be the end for her.

(Charlie is in his crate because he won't quit harassing Brittany and trying to get her to get up and Sydney is gated off because she keeps going to her and whining and I don't want Sydney all upset)

post-1586-1181066465_thumb.jpg

post-1586-1181066479_thumb.jpg

post-1586-1181066491_thumb.jpg

post-1586-1181066506_thumb.jpg

post-1586-1181066516_thumb.jpg

post-1586-1181066538_thumb.jpg

post-1586-1181066550_thumb.jpg

O Michelle, those pics of Brittany are just heart breaking. I wouldn't try to move her anymore. I will keep Brittany in my prayers I hope this is not the end but just a bad day. Please let us know what the vet says.

O Michelle, those pics of Brittany are just heart breaking. I wouldn't try to move her anymore. I will keep Brittany in my prayers I hope this is not the end but just a bad day. Please let us know what the vet says.

She still hasn't moved and I am not trying to move her anymore. My "husband" refused to come here and take her to the vet... His family doesn't believe in euthanasia . His mom kept her last dog alive long past the time I would have thought it humane.... so I know where he gets it from. He said "she's probably dying". Well, yes she probably is ... but we could make it so much easier on her and also on me. It's KILLING me to see her like this and not be able to help her at all. I wish the vet would call and tell me if we've reached the end of medications that can help or not......

I'll post later on how Brittany's doing. I am going to see if she will eat at all - I'll have to bring her bowl to her.

Michelle & Sydney (who is eating with my daughter right now - YAY ! At least one seems to be doing well)

PS: I didn't mean to post that picture of my son's goofy face. I was taking pics of the dogs and he insisted on a "PIP - TURE " of himself - I forgot to move it when I was uploading.

Michelle,

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your sweet Brittany. If you have no way to get her to the vet perhaps your vet would do a house call for you. I know many of them will come to your home to take care of an animal's needs. It is truly heartbreaking that your husband would rather let her die on her own than relieve her pain and allow her to pass peacefully but some people just don't have to courage to make that one last tough decision that we've all been faced with too many times. I hope she rebounds if possible and if not I'm sure she knows that she is surrounded by love and will carry many happy memories with her over the bridge.

Brenda

Oh, Michelle, my thoughts are with u.

Can the vet help in any way??? I know some vet's in Columbus will send a tech or go themselves to help a pet get to the hospital. But if a hospital is not needed, and it's time, they also will come to the home.

Michelle, I am just so very sorry. To be dealing with everything with Syd, and now possibly losing Brittany--well my heart is truly aching for u.

BTW, I love the "PIP-TURE" of ur son--I for one am very glad u posted it. Made me smile. U are a lucky skin- kid mommy.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{MICHELLE}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Michelle,

Im so sorry to see your little Brittany is in such a bad way. It is the hardest thing to see them suffer. Almost as hard as making that last pledge of love. I hope she can find some comfort. How very painfull it must be for you to have them both so sick. I am glad though that you are getting the treatment for Sydney. I always thought chemo was the same as for humans. My fince just went through it last fall. And I would never want to see that on a poor sweet dog. But i am glad to know it is not the same. And the extra time with her is priceless.

I will pray for Brittany and Sydney,

Vicki, Tanks Mom

Michelle, checking in on you and Brittany, I am hoping for the best but will be nervous until I hear from you. Brittany I am praying with all my might that you are not in pain and suffering.

Hi everyone!

I finally got my husband to agree to put Brittany in his truck and let me take her to the vet. She hadn't stood up since at least 8am. I was shocked he agreed but he does like her more than the other dogs.

The vet did an xray to see what was going on (her stomach seemed real painful on palpation - so we thought maybe it was something in her stomach on TOP of her back). They kept her on the xray table while they developed the film (wanted to make sure they didn't have to take another) and the doctor realized that Brittany's bladder was excessively large / full. She expressed her bladder for her and Brittany stood up and walked back in the room - not real steady but she was walking. :banana: The doctor thought the pressure / pain between her spine problem and the bladder being so full was making her back legs unmovable ~ plus the adrenaline of being at the hospital probably helped her want to get up. She wasn't sure if Brittany COULDN'T go pee or WOULDN'T. In any case they gave her some steroid injections and sent her home with prednisone. (not ideal since she had Rimadyl this morning - but a last ditch effort to get her upright again).

I brought her home and she has gotten up once and then fell BACK into the position you see in the photos. The vet said that if the steroids don't have her on her feet by tommorow fairly steady that it is unlikely that she will ever get up again.

I am just trying to keep her comfortable, I am pretty sure something else is going on but I can't afford a ton of diagnostics on her. Ideally, they want to do bloodwork, urinalysis, etc. and there is just no way that is happening. Hopefully the steroids work some magic and Brittany can stay with us a little longer.

When we left the vet office the battery was dead in his truck.... I'll tell you I cannot get a break lately. :P THANKFULLY grandma buys us AAA every christmas so I just called them and they got us me and running again.

On the other hand ...

Sydney is doing awesome

She ate her dinner great, she was VERY playful / kissy tonight ... *AND* this is HUGE ... her popliteal lymphnodes are about HALF the size they were if not smaller. I cannot believe they have gone down this much so shortly after her first chemo when it had been getting larger and larger by the day.

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

She has to go back Monday to check her bloodwork, urine, etc. to make sure that her system is handling the drugs well... but I am thrilled at how well she is doing. Thank you angels who are donating so that Sydney can get these treatments. It means the world to me right now to see her doing soooooo well. :wub:

Please consider sending a small donation for her - since we have to pay weekly we need to be ahead of the game on funds. Syd's treatment on Monday will be right around $70 the two following weeks are $145 & $271 which will drain out the donations we have so far. I was hoping to be able to help out some, but now I'm looking at bills for Brittany which is going to make it REALLY hard for me to pay even for Sydney's Cytoxan and Benadryl with her injections. If you can send anything we would be so grateful !

Thanks again!

Michelle & Sydney

Hi Michelle,

I'm glad you were able to get Brittany in to the vet to get checked out. I hope she's with you for a while longer.

She ate her dinner great, she was VERY playful / kissy tonight ... *AND* this is HUGE ... her popliteal lymphnodes are about HALF the size they were if not smaller. I cannot believe they have gone down this much so shortly after her first chemo when it had been getting larger and larger by the day.

GREAT news for Sydney! :banana: I'm so glad to hear it.

Tracy/IMOM :heart::stripekitty:

When Syd was a young pup I had been working with her on waiting in the car for mom to get out. As a typical over exhuberant lab .... she would make a plunge for the door the MINUTE she saw you reach for the handle which meant A LOT of ouchie claw marks all over your lap (really bad if it it was summer and you had shorts on) .

So we had gone somewhere were I had a few minutes to give some lessons. I had her sitting in the front seat and went to reach for the handle to open the door and told her "SIT. STAY." Wow she did it. So I started to OPEN the door and she was up ready to spring into action. I closed the door again and told her "SIT. STAY." She started whining in protest but back down her butt went.

Again I went to reach for the door - we did this several times. Finally, I think Sydney had enough. When I reached for the handle the next time I said "SIT STAY" and she DOVE across my lap... TO JUMP OUT THE WINDOW............. but the window wasn't open!!!

SMASH. She hit the window REALLY hard. She kinda slid down, shook her head, looked at me like "you rotten mother" and took her place back sitting in the passangers seat. I couldn't help but burst out laughing . To see this 70+ lb dog think she had outsmarted me. To heck with waiting for mom I'm gonna jump out the that hole in the door ......only to be outsmarted by the GLASS WINDOW ...... it was the hardest I have ever laughed at her. :)

Sydney has never ONCE tried to jump across my lap to get out the door again.

She sits and whines impatiently for me to get out, gather my purse / etc. and then give her a release command. I guess smacking into a window with all her force was the only "lesson" she needed. :motimonkey:

Michelle & Sydney

PS: Sydney is doing fine this morning. No side effects ... just happy as a clam. AND as hungry as a lion. Brittany is UP - not real steady but she is walking. She had a bunch of accidents over night though so I am not sure what that is about - I will have to keep a very close eye on her today.

Good Morning Michelle, Syd and Brittany...

I'm so happy for Syd, Precious sends her puppy kisses.

I'm so sorry to hear about Brittany, I too hope she will be with you a little longer.

Beverly & Precious

I know this is Sydney's thread, but I have been thinking of Brittany all day. I hope she's doing better.

Jean, thanks for coming over to check on Brittany. She's doing "ok" today. She's having a lot of accidents (urine). We are not really sure what is going on with that. The vet doesn't feel she is incontinent because her muscle tone is alright, but the urine accidents have been a recurring thing the past 3 months. She's been on STRONG anti-biotics to try to rule out infection. We highly suspect something else is going on since she is still having regular urine accidents and 3 urinalysis tests have shown heavy blood and unusual cells. Unfortunately, I cannot afford the diagnostics to find out what is really going on - I was GOING to go ahead with an ultrasound and some other testing then we got hit with Syd being sick and the costs of diagnosing her. At this point I am just trying to keep Brittany as comfortable as I can. That said, she was up and around today. Went outside several times and ate well. She wasn't real steady but did pretty good considering how BAD she was yesterday.

I am feeling just terrible tonight. I know IMOM is full of positive ... but everything is just catching up to me (which is why I have been quiet tonight) . The difficulties with the seperation, Sydney being sick, Brittany being sick. My 13 year old gets out for vacation tomm. and she's really upset that we have NOTHING lined up for the summer (any money that could have gone to horse back riding / summer events is GONE - all went for Sydney's diagnostics). And an upset 13 year old ball of hormones is no fun no matter how you slice it.

Then I was on here and I realized ... Sydney will never make it to "HAPPY ENDINGS". It sounds silly, but she'll go from here to "all funds raised" and then ... on to Rainbow Bridge. I got really upset when I realized this again. I got so caught up in pursuing the chemo and getting help and trying to fundraise that i honestly wasn't thinking that she will still leave me before her "time" and it was like hearing the diagnosis all over again....

SO .... I thought I'd try some of the canine cancer support boards / places for suggestions on how to get Sydney to eat the EVO or at least find some alternate suggestions for cancer diets ... and to see how others are dealing with it , maybe get some support.

All I got was REAMED for not taking Syd to an oncologist. Now I am sitting here wondering if I made a huge mistake choosing to do chemo with her regular veterinarian. I got to reading others stories and it seems consisitant that dogs will be sick with the first dose of chemo (some even said the first few are ALWAYS bad) - yet Sydney seems no worse for wear. If anything she seems MORE active. Of course I am not WANTING her to be sick ... but it's got my mind thinking what if something wasn't done correctly ? Is it all my fault because I couldn't come up with the $300 to at least consult with the oncologist ? Or is it all my fault for reading advice on the internet ? :huh:

Sorry to vent ... but I really needed it tonight ....

Here is hoping tomm is a little better day for me! I will probably take Sydney's stitches out in the morning and hope to take her down to the river for a swim if she's up to it and the weather co-operates. That's sure to lift my mood some. I'll try to get pictures. Sydney is at her VERY best when she's WET and MUDDY retrieving something!!! :anidogfris:

G'night IMOM Angels.. thank you for keeping us in your thoughts and prayers.

Michelle & Sydney

Michelle,

:hugs: to you. Today sounds like a day when you can use some big hugs. I'm sorry so many things have been piling on lately...yes, feel free to vent anytime. Lots of supportive and sympathetic ears here.

I'm sorry you got reamed on the canine cancer support boards. That's not very supportive of their members. I am on the financial aid committee and have been following your case since you first contacted us. It is apparent to me that you are doing everything you possibly can to help Sydney, in the face of many obstacles. I can tell that if there was any more you could do for Syd, you would do it in a heartbeat.

I hope tomorrow is a better day for you. I am glad that Brittany is doing OK. Hopefully she will continue to improve.

:hugs:

Tracy :heart::stripekitty:

Edited by Tracy IMOM

Michelle,

The sadness in your post really broke my heart. I know it's very tough when everything hits at once but you're doing great with both Sydney and Brittany. Please remember that when each of us take an animal into our hearts and our homes we have no idea how long they'll be with us but it's quality of life not quantity that's important. Sydney may leave you sooner than you expected or she may surprise everybody and beat the odds. Either way her story will still have a Happy Ending, that's just different for each dog. As far as whether or not you should have seen an oncologist, well that's a mute point because you didn't and Sydney has already started her treatment. But you're using a very well known protocol that just happens to be adminstered by your vet instead of an oncologist. And you've also already noticed that Sydney's lymph nodes have begun to shrink so that's a really, really good sign that things are being done just the way they should be. Like people, each dog reacts differently to chemotherapy. Some get very sick while others tolerate things much better. For dogs the dose is generally smaller (not just because the dog is smaller) so the side effects tend to be less. Sometimes side effects don't show up until the 3rd or 4th treatment so Sydney's not out of the woods yet as far as escaping the nasty side effects. Hopefully she'll do great but she still may experience some toxicities from her future treatments.

I don't belong to very many on line groups because I've found alot of them to be very much the opposite of what they're supposed to be. People who are dealing with a particular problem suddenly become experts and if you're not doing exactly what they did then you must have done something wrong. Well I don't tolerate that kind of attitude very well. Me and my vet make the important decisions for my pets, not a group of strangers on the internet. You've done an amazing job in a very difficult situation. I think any dog of yours is a very lucky one.

Just hang in there Michelle. Things always seem to get worse and then settle down so just take things one day at a time and know that you have alot of people here who care about you and Sydney and Brittany. I hope Syd got to go swimming today!!

Take care,

Brenda

www.oslf.org

Morning Michelle,

Your last post pulled at my heart.

I totally agree with both Brenda and Tracy. You are doing an amazing job for both Syd & Brittany.

My suggestion is not to listen to the nay sayers. You and your vet know syd best and it seems the treatment she is getting is doing exactly what it's suppose to.

As far as the happy endings....you betcha syd will end up there. Because no matter how much time you guys have together, the time you have has enriched both of you and noone can take that away. The love and time you share will always be in your heart.

Hope that helped a little.

A suggestion for your daughter. When I was 11 I was at the stables and helped out where ever I could (I didn't have a horse yet) by doing so I was able to have some time on the horses. This might be something you can look into. Speak with the person or persons who run the facility and you can explain the situation (dianosis and medical costs for syd) and is there anyway your daughter can trade work for riding lessons.

Give both Syd and Brittany belly rubs and Precious sends puppy kisses and puppy nuzzles.

Beverly and Precious

p.s. also follow up with Cecilia suggestions. You do have rights to adequate child support & possibly spousal support. I too have been through this and it's rough.