Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Amy IMOM

Sydney - Part 1

1,027 posts in this topic

HI Michelle, I want to thank u for visiting the boys thread!! I was here for quite awhile enjoying the stories and pics...and u were at the boys thread. LOL.

Thanks again!!!! Maybe Syd can have some of those carrots anyway!!!

Hugs

Michelle what wonderful stories. (well some not so wonderful lol, but isn't it great to remember those times and now smile). Your dedication and love for Sydney is so strong and that love will help Sydney thru this difficult time.

I also want to commend you on visiting the other threads and posting, it means a lot to everyone to know that you are reading their stories and giving them support.

Sometimes the weekends are a little slow but I am hoping come Monday a lot more ANGELS will be visiting Sydney's thread and giving their support because Sydney truly needs our help and we can't let her down.

Oh Michelle, I had to laugh out loud over the bite in the bathroom story. Sorry. :)

We had a lab when I was a kid. My uncle got her from a breeder to be a duck dog. When she was about a year old, he left her with us while he went out of the country for a year! When he came back and asked for his dog, my mother said "What dog? YOU don't have a dog. We do though, and you can visit her all you want." Hehehe. And that was that. She lived to the ripe old age of 17! We joke that it was all the trash she ate that kept her alive so long. She was extremely well trained but we never were able to train the trash eating out of her.

My father sums up owning a Lab as "They are the absolute best dogs, if you don't strangle them before they turn two." Oh boy is he right.

So now I have a "mostly Lab", Skip and a lab/GSD mix May (the dogs in my signature banner). They are both rescues. May came out of a really bad situation, Skip was just ignored as a young dog.

I wouldn't trade them for the world.

Quick Fund Update for fundraising PINs:

GF - Frisbee Dickens 410.00

GF - Koda Amoroso 50.00

GF - Luke Martinez 150.00

GF - Precious Dulake 345.00

GF - Roxy Doyle 50.00

GF - Sydney Kanengeiser 925.00

Quick Fund Update for fundraising PINs:

GF - Sydney Kanengeiser 925.00

HOLY COW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:waycool:

I don't have any idea other than the two that posted and IMOM's pledge of $300 who Sydney's angels are but whomever you are you've brought me to tears this morning !! And you ALL got one heck of a butt wag from Sydney when I started telling her the great news ~ :motimonkey:

We cannot even BEGIN to thank you enough !!!

:thanks3:

I'm nervous about Sydney going in tomm. morning, but also excited to get this under way and get her feeling better. She did eat this morning and is now resting by my feet .... I'm not sure she has any idea what's going on ... but I think she knows that Mom and Sis are working hard to make her feel better !!

Thank you again everyone !! This will get Sydney's treatments WELL under way (and will also help the hospital quit whining about IMOM's payment policies

:P on them for ever doubting the MAGIC here on IMOM !!

Michelle & Sydney

I also want to commend you on visiting the other threads and posting, it means a lot to everyone to know that you are reading their stories and giving them support.

My daughter is in LOVE with Angel too :):banana: I can't STOP reading everyone's threads. You guys are killing me. I was up until 3:30 lastnight reading MORE stories front to back. It's so inspiring what happens here and all the people that make it happen. And it all started with one very special person and one very special kitty. :felineicon: It's just "magical" !!!

My father sums up owning a Lab as "They are the absolute best dogs, if you don't strangle them before they turn two." Oh boy is he right.

He's absolutely right !! :wacko:

And Charlie ... well... he's gonna be lucky if he makes it to five. He NEVER has grown out of that big dumb puppy mode. He still thinks he's two. They are a handful, that's for sure but they are a lot of love!!

(and will also help the hospital quit whining about IMOM's payment policies

We get that a lot, Michelle. Usually by the time we are through with them they are more than happy to work with us again.

In reality, I can understand why a vet who doesn't know us, or about us, would be hesitant. They are in business and need to make sure they are going to get paid. On the other hand, IMOM is also a business and we certainly wouldn't have been around for (almost) nine years if we didn't operate as a business. The only difference is we don't get paid so we don't have to worry about that. :catwatching:

We get that a lot, Michelle. Usually by the time we are through with them they are more than happy to work with us again.

In reality, I can understand why a vet who doesn't know us, or about us, would be hesitant. They are in business and need to make sure they are going to get paid. On the other hand, IMOM is also a business and we certainly wouldn't have been around for (almost) nine years if we didn't operate as a business. The only difference is we don't get paid so we don't have to worry about that. :catwatching:

Having worked in a hospital I 100% see where a hospital not familiar with IMOM would be hesitant or would out and out refuse. The number of patients who come into a hospital with a very ill pet that have no way to pay anything is HUGE and depending on the hospital (ours did) A LOT of charity cases. If they don't get paid they can't even do those charity cases because they aren't going to remain in business for long.

I *AM* very thankful that Animal Medical Center okay'ed working with IMOM and know in the end they will be glad they made that choice. It's a GREAT hospital and Dr. Feeman (Sydney's doctor) could NOT be any better. Dr. Feeman went to school with a vet that I worked under (she's awesome too - but she is moving away) and I honestly have to say I have never seen a Dr. more caring or responsive to a patient / patients mom *AND* so very involved in his own rescue interests (greyhounds) . If he happens to be reading this.... we wub you Bill !! :wub:

Michelle & Sydney

Hi Michelle,

I too loved your stories and it brought to mind that I have several of the same and need to do some story telling of my own.

I just new that all was going to be ok. I am so moved by all the angels that help our fur friends.

I'll keep you and Syd in my prayers for tomorrow. Let us know how she continues to do and how well she is handling the chemo.

Precious sends Syd puppy high fives and puppy kisses.

Beverly & Precious

Hi Michelle,

What time tmw will Sydney be having her first chemo??

Another part of her journey, and urs too, begins tmw. IMOM angels will be with u and Syd through this new journey. U both will be surrounded by angels.

Please give Syd a hug and some snuggles for me tonight.

I hope u both have sweet dreams.

Hugs

Hi Michelle,

What time tmw will Sydney be having her first chemo??

Another part of her journey, and urs too, begins tmw. IMOM angels will be with u and Syd through this new journey. U both will be surrounded by angels.

Please give Syd a hug and some snuggles for me tonight.

I hope u both have sweet dreams.

Hugs

Well, I'm nervous tonight ... but Sydney seems to be in the best mood she has been in for a long time !! I'm not sure if it's the big ole marrow bone I gave her to chew on all day or if she knows she's going to start feeling better soon.

Sometimes I think they know more than we think they do. She got REALLY excited earlier when I told her about all the people pulling for her and that it was really happening !!! she was going to be able to get the chemo. Now, it was probably because I was hopping around like a spaz and sounded like mickey mouse on drugs ... but if nothing else she knows mom is happy about something. Even my daughter noticed how happy and cuddly she was today !!

I have to drop her off between 7:30-8:30 am (it will probably be more toward the later because as you all have seen I am a night owl and 7:30 am just sounds painful to me... LOL) I am not sure if they will start her IV right then or a little later. I am HOPING the doctor can talk to me more in the morning - while I have asked him A LOT of questions about the treatment options / cost / how long she had to be there (all day) I haven't done a lot of talking about what to expect in terms of how she will be feeling / things to watch out for / clean up / the other dogs ...etc. I know most of that ... but I want to hear it again anyhow. One of the drugs they now use for chemo is "new" to me (we didn't use it when I was an assistant).

So .... wish us luck ..... and send LOTS and LOTS of loving vibes & tail wags tomm ! I know I can call for an update around noon so I am sure I will post shortly after !

:biggrin: Thank you again IMOM & IMOM Angels tomm is ONE big day for us !!

Michelle & Sydney

Sending you both lots of luck and hugs, tomorrow a big day. Hope all goes well, and we will be here waiting to hear how it went. GOOD LUCK...

I'm keeping a good thought for Sydney this morning! Let us know how she does and give her a big hug from us.

Skip says that big marrow bones cure the blues (as long as stupid Mayday doesn't steal them and hide them in the kid's closet) :lol:

Well, as happy as Sydney was yesterday .... Whoo boy she was NOT happy today when she realized she wasn't going home with me right away. The tech was trying to take her in the back and Sydney put the breaks on and did the "I AM NOT MOVING WITHOUT MY MOMMY" thing so I had to walk her back. I had to go up front and talk to the office manager for a minute and I could hear Sydney whining and howling in the back because she could still hear my voice !! It was sooo hard to leave her. If I didn't have a two legged child that needed me today I would have set up camp next to her cage and sat there all day telling her it was going to be okay. :wub:

I can call after 1pm est for an update. I will let you ALL know how she is going then.

:pp_animal_261:

Michelle & Sydney

Ohhh poor Syd...and mom.

I know when the boys see the neurologist, they never are able to take them from the waiting room (unless they hold them), so I end up walking down the long hall with them to the door, and have to pretend I am going with them--but I back away at the last second. I always feel soooooo guilty doing that, and then pray I don't hear them if they get upset.

We will be holding Syd in our hearts all day.

I'll check back later for an update.

I just called the vet and Sydney is "resting comfortably" . Her chemo treatment is done and it went well . They are just watching her for any reactions or problems. I have to wait until 5pm to pick her up !! :huh: That seems like FOREVER from now.

Thank you again IMOM for covering her first treatment and all the angels that are donating to Sydney. It's a HUGE weight of my shoulders to know that Sydney is getting the medicines she needs and I don't have to worry every 2 minutes about how to rob peter to pay paul , or what to sell to get money... etc.

:happydance:

There just aren't words to express my gratitide.

I'll post later when I go get Sydney !! I am hoping she can't hear the thunderstorm we are having inside the hospital.. I know it would freak her out for a storm to come and she can't find mom or sis !

:banana: can't wait until u get her home!!!! :banana:

Me too!

Michelle - don't forget to remind them to send us the invoice. We want to make sure we stay on top of this.

:banana: can't wait until u get her home!!!! :banana:

Cindy you aren't that far from me !! I just saw it says you are in Butler Ohio! How cool !! :cool026:

Ashleigh my daughter wanted me to share how Sydney not her name ... soooo ... here goes.

When Sydney came home to live with us and be our forever dog ... the arguing started on what to name her. My daughter was only 5 or so and was coming up with the most awful names. I remember "pretty", "cutie" and "soft" were on her short list. Bleh...

I had no ideas at all... so Sydney went nameless and was being called "Cutie". So a day or two after she came home, she was sitting in the family room showing special interest in getting at a book sitting on the coffee table. I just happend to look down and saw the book was by Sidney Sheldon and I screamed "THAT'S IT ! SIDNEY !!" and Sydney started howling and my daughter jumped up and agreed it was the perfect name for her. So basically, Sydney picked her name HERSELF !!

Now, we don't always call her Sydney. In fact -rarely. Here's a short list of all her names :

Syd

Skid

Skid - Knee

"KNEEEEE" (my 2 year olds version of Sydney)

Skidda (this comes from us singing Skidda ma rinky dinky dink skidda ma rinky doo!! We looooooveeee you!") to her. I know it's corny !! LOL

Squid and Squidda

AND she answers to ALL of them !! Silly girl :P

I hope Syd is getting some really good rest and relaxation now.

Cancer doesn't always get to win. I was at a Relay for Life and they had a survivor lap and I saw that first hand-it was great watching all those survivors go around the track, including two teenagers. I thought of Syd.

And on a lighter note: http://www.imom.invisionzone.com/community...amp;#entry36196 I thought you'd like the picture because I think he's a Lab-Shep mix-my foster Mario is in a photo contest. :)

Hi Michelle,

You and Syd have been on my mind and I remembered that when I was calling everyone and e-mailing all the suggestions there was United Animal Nations 916-429-2457 or on the web at www.uan.org who help financially with money for treatments but not dianostics such as we needed at the time. They were extremely nice and they were the ones that directed us to IMOM.

Hope all is well, give Syd soft little stratches behind the ears for us.

Beverly & Precious

Hi Michelle,

You and Syd have been on my mind and I remembered that when I was calling everyone and e-mailing all the suggestions there was United Animal Nations 916-429-2457 or on the web at www.uan.org who help financially with money for treatments but not dianostics such as we needed at the time. They were extremely nice and they were the ones that directed us to IMOM.

Hope all is well, give Syd soft little stratches behind the ears for us.

Beverly & Precious

Thanks Beverly... they don't help with chemo :sad:

LifeLine cannot help if any of the following apply:

The animal's medical needs are for spay/neuter, ongoing illnesses (such as diabetes or chemotherapy)

hope Syd is getting some really good rest and relaxation now.

She definately is :) She's curled up in her favorite place under my desk right now ! She's got a PINK bandage around her leg (she would have prefered green for lymphoma awareness and her favorite all -time color ... she looks great in green). She was REALLY hyper when I picked her up tonight. Excited to come home and EAT !!! She's gotten her dinner (stuck her nose up at just the EVO again - so I put a dab of turkey gravy on it and she scarfed it up!) and her medications (a tummy settler and prednisone which is part of the chemo protocol) and she's resting happily. NO signs of any side effects since she got home. I'll take some photos either later tonight or tomm. I left the camera in the car and it's raining buckets so I don't want to run out and get it.

Thank-you again everyone for helping Sydney.

There was another dog (a young boxer) in the waiting room that had a bandage around her back leg just like Syd had last week - turns out she also had a biopsy for lymphoma - they were there to find out if it was positive. If it was they were going to put her to sleep.

I saw them as they were leaving and they we very happy and had the boxer with them. I think between Sydney & I we willed those results to be negative.

Michelle & Sydney