Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Renee-H

Butch Perkins

451 posts in this topic

LOVE the photos! :roll:

They are all great, but I think my favorite is the one of Butch tangled up in the kitty toy cord, with two nanners laying on him and a rainbow behind him. His expression is priceless -- definitely high on catnip!

Laurie, that's my favorite one too!! I LOVE seeing him enjoying himself! I've missed his playfulness!

Hi Kirsten Mari, (which is a lovely name!)

Another wonderful pic. Gee, it's hard to decide which of you is more beautiful but you both define the word.

It's been really great to see you all over the place around here encouraging everyone. You are the ideal kind of appllicant. Again, we're really glad you found IMOM!

Glad to hear Butch is doing better. Give him some rubs from us!

:heart:

Martha Jane, Baila, and Crew

Hi Kirsten,

Those pics were so much fun. I can't remember the b/w kitty's name but he is looking totally demonic in one of those pics. They really had a good time didn't they?

I agree with Martha Jane...you are most definitely an asset to the IMOM community.

Please give your kids some cuddles and smootchies from me.

Lynette

Hi Kirsten,

That's a great pic of you and Butch! I'm glad he put up with being picked up and held long enough for that picture to be taken. I'm glad that his eyes are clearing up, too. Oh, that's cool, Butch has his own heating pad! :banana: So does my Cody. He uses it a lot.

I hope you and the kitties had a very Happy Easter! :)

Tracy :heart::stripekitty:

Hello everyone!!! Sorry I've been MIA for the past couple of days. I'm house/dog sitting for a co-worker of mine right now who is taking a trip to Japan! Her computer has dial-up and it is pretty slow, so it's been hard for me to get time to post as much as I like to. I've falling way behind on reading everyone's threads! So, hopefully I'll be able to start catching up soon!!!

Tracy, I don't know why we didn't think of having a heating pad for Butch before now!!!! He's been so cold natured his whole life. It just occured to us a few days ago... silliness! lol, I'm glad Cody enjoys his heating pad too!!!

Lynette, the demonic looking b/w kitty with the bobbed tail is Boots the second. He's my morbidly obese kitty. He was up to 22 pounds but I've had him on a pretty strict diet and exercise plan. I've gotten him down to 15 lbs so far! woo hoo!!! He REALLY hates me right now!!! haha. Oh, and all the kitties loved their cuddles!

Martha Jane, thank you so much for the lovely compliments. Butch is basking in his own pride at the moment! lol I really enjoy reading everyone's threads and trying to give encouragement where I can. I know how frantic I was when I finally found IMOM. I had completely run out of time, and I was hysterical. I don't know how I made it through the application process!!! I know how scary it was for me... and I know that for some people, they're coming here with no time left, so I want to try to help as soon as I see that there's someone out there with no options left....I don't know if I'm making a difference, but we've gotta try!

Butch had his monthly glucose curve today. It went SO WELL!!! It started out kind of scary though... Since, I"m house-sitting in Lexington, my dad brought Butch up to the hospital this morning and I met him there. I took Butch straight in and got him set up to start his curve right away before I had to clock in to work. His first glucose check was 33!!! I couldn't possibly believe that was accurate b/c as my doctor said, that's not a reading that "could sustain life." So I did the check again and it came back exactly the same! So, I ran another check on our internal organ function screen to check the glucose on there... it came back 37!!! I was FREAKING OUT!!!!

I called mom and found out that they gave him the two units of insulin this morning like normal, but that he DIDN'T EAT ANY BREAKFAST!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!! So, I ran over to petsmart and got some hill's a/d and offered it to him and he gobbled up half a can in no time flat! He was STARVING! Two hours later I checked his glucose again and it had worked its way up to 79. two hours later it was 125, two hours later 124 and then two hours later it was 141.

:)

THOSE were GREAT numbers! I was so happy. And he was so affectionate and full of himself. My doc told me that if his numbers stayed that good (minus the scare early this morning b/c of the NOT EATING) then we could consider scheduling his dental procedure to remove all of his rotting teeth! YAY!!! I totally did my happy dance!!! :)

Next month, I'll be able to do his whole glucose curve at home. that way he'll be happier and less stressed, and the results will be more accurate. Everyone cross your fingers that his levels stay in the 100's!!! And especially cross your fingers that he remains healthy enough to get vaccinated (Doc still says she doesn't want to vaccinate him yet) and to also get his dental surgery!!!! I'll be so relieved if he is able to get his dental surgery! His poor mouth is SO infected and painful! :( It just breaks my heart.

But he's home now, and according to my family doing very well. And they made sure to feed him BEFORE they gave him his nightly injection!!!!

Well, I'm tuckered out now! I'm going to try to catch up on some of the threads I"m behind on, and then I'm going to bed!!! I'll see you all later!

And as always... THANK YOU ANGELS!!!! You've made my dreams come true!!!!!

His first glucose check was 33!!! I couldn't possibly believe that was accurate b/c as my doctor said, that's not a reading that "could sustain life." So I did the check again and it came back exactly the same! So, I ran another check on our internal organ function screen to check the glucose on there... it came back 37!!! I was FREAKING OUT!!!!

Hi Kirsten

Oh my gosh!! :ohmy: That is scary!! I'm glad you were at the vet's office when you got that reading. Same thing happened to my Orion, my first diabetic and now at the Bridge. We were at the vet's getting a BG test done and it came in at 36!

I'm glad the curve went well. Once Butch ate, the rest of those numbers are really good. I hope he gets stabilized enough so he can get his dental and his vaccinations.

You and Butch have a great night :)

And especially cross your fingers that he remains healthy enough to get vaccinated

Hi Kirsten,

Let's talk about vaccinating Butch. Have you considered running titers for the diseases that you'd vaccinate him for and seeing if he even needs the vaccinations? I know titers are more expensive than vaccinations, but I'm sure Butch's sponsor would help out if needed. It seems to me that stressing his immune system with vaccinations that he might not even need wouldn't be a good thing.

Celia

Celia, I have thought about this, but I'm not sure which way I should proceed at the moment.... My doctors are refusing to give Butch vaccines at this time anyway, so I know that is out of the question for the time being.... I have several other questions that I need to ask IMOM that would affect the cost of Butch's care, but I have not been able to get a hold of my case worker lately. I don't want to make any decisions yet without talking to her or another imom representative to figure out what I CAN do. But I have been thinking about titers, and that was one of the questions I meant to ask when I hear from her. Thank you so much for your concern Celia!!! Although I think Butch is cussing you right now for trying to give me more ideas to "torture" him with. lol :)

Hello everyone! I've been in Lexington all week house/dog sitting for a friend, but I got the day off today, so I just HAD to make a trip down to Paris to visit my babies! I get so sad without their happy little faces. So, I'm at home right now, surrended by little furry children. Butch was SO happy to see me! Mom says he has been so perky ever since he came home from the hospital on Tuesday! And he certainly does seem extra affectionate!!! His eyes look great too! All the scabbiness is gone and they don't look dry anymore! I'm still going to be giving him eyedrops (just on a less frequent basis) to prevent anymore dry eye issues! He's got a real bounce in his step today and is all purrs! It makes me so happy to see him like this! Everyone keep your fingers crossed that this upward swing continues without end! lol Let's keep these levels regulated!!! :)

Ambrose man is being EXTREMELY affectionate too! He has been SO jealous of Butch lately. Butch has always been very independent and stoic, but Ambrose is deffinitely a mama's boy! haha. Great big maine coon that he is, he needs constant attention and affection! He's in my lap right now, purring and holding on for dear life (he likes to give hugs). He's going to be so depressed when I leave again in a few hours!!! :( Here's another reason to hope Butch continues to feel better!!! The better BUtch feels, the more attention I can give Ambrose! lol

Well, I better go now and do some bonding. :) Have a great day everyone!

Hi Kirsten,

I'm glad you had today off and had some time to spend with your fur babies. I'll bet you miss them when you're away. That's great that Butch is doing so well! :banana: All paws and fingers crossed that he continues on this upswing.

Ah, give poor jealous Ambrose some extra scritches from me. lol :biggrin: Give hugs to all your babies too.

:hugs:

Thank you Tracy! All babies appreciated their hugs and scritches... especially Ambrose, attention whore that he is. lol :)

I'm at school now and won't get to see them again until Sunday. :( I miss them SO very much! I also get VERY nervous when I leave my family to care for them. I know they will do their best, but sometimes they don't notice things that I would, or are not concerned about something when they should be, etc. I get ancy and call at least three times a day to check on them! lol I'm being reassured by my mom that Butch is eating like a little piggy man though, so I'll try to content myself with that! :)

I'm being reassured by my mom that Butch is eating like a little piggy man though.

What a great thing to hear! Sorry I haven't been around much this week -- lots going on in the household and with work and with volunteer stuff. But I love logging on and reading that a certain somebody is being a little piggy!

Hi Kirsten,

Yay for the little piggy!! LOL :banana: I'm glad that Butch has a fine appetite.

especially Ambrose, attention whore that he is. lol :)

:roll: LOL!! That cracked me up!

I'll bet you miss your babies when you're at school. I'd be calling at least 3 times a day, too.

Hi Kirsten Mari!

I'm hoping that you are getting to see your kids as we speak and will be able to give us great reports again. It's WONDERFUL that Butch is doing so well, and please add some extra scritches, rubs and other pleasures to poor jealous coon Ambrose from us.

Thanks for all the support and visits! (Both to us and everyone else!)

Hello everyone! I'M HOME!!!! :):banana:

I'm SO happy to be home! All the animals are super thrilled too! The dogs practically jumped in my arms when I walked in the front door! lol They all fought for who got to sit in my lap. Butch won the fight but then the dogs got rowdy and Butch left for his heating pad instead. lol

It just really makes you feel loved to come home to such happy creatures!

Especially after the day I had at work... :( So many emergencies today. Two kitties didn't make it and they took my heart with them. They were both solid black girls and they were both in so much pain. I just cried and cried. I just hate to see that kind of suffering... especially when I know that it could have been prevented or that the owner is letting the pet suffer b/c of their own selfishness. I'll never let any of my babies get to that point. When they let me know it is their time to go, who am I to stand in their way?

Oh, sorry I'm ranting now.... I was so happy just a second ago! I better go give my babies lots of cuddles to take my mind off the less fortunate babies for tonight.

I'll be sure to stop in tomorrow with more updates! :) Have a good night everyone~

Hi Kirsten,

I'm glad you're home. I'm sure you've missed your babies.

Oh,, I'm so sorry about those 2 kitties that didn't make it :broken_heart: For me, that would be the hardest part about working in a vet's office. Enjoy some kitty cuddle time and let their purrs and snuggles bring you happier thoughts.

Edited by Tracy IMOM

Hello everyone. I just wanted to let you know that I'm going to be scarce around here for the next couple of weeks. It's finals time, so I'm studying a lot and work on projects for school. I haven't been posting much on the threads, but I'm still trying to pop in and read them when I can. I'll be sure to do LOTS of catching up when the semester is over! (just a couple more weeks!)

Butch is doing wonderfully though, so no worries there! He's eating well. Full of energy, and actually quite naughty... playing with the other kitties.... or attacking them... sometimes it is hard to tell... lol He still loves his heating pad and we're working on getting him more and more used to wet food since he'll be having dental surgery in a few months (hopefully, cross your fingers, if he stays healthy enough!)!!!

Well, I really need to get back to studying, but my thoughts are with you all! Thanks for everything! Thanks for your support and kindness. And thank you angels for you sincere generosity and love.

Hi Kirsten,

It's great to see you back!!- (Even if we'll have to miss you for a while). We're really glad to hear Butch is doing so well too! How is the blood taking going? Is your mom getting more cooperative?

We'll look forward to seeing more of your brightness all over after you finish acing your exams. Good luck on those too!

Martha Jane, Baila and Crew

Thank you Martha Jane! You always give me something to smile about even when I'm stressed and less-than happy-go-lucky... :)

I just wanted to do a quick check in today, to say hi to everyone!!! Butch is fiestier than ever! I see little improvements in him everyday! Last night he played with his red stretchy fishing pole toy again. It was adorable!

He's been eating so well! No worries there lately!. I've started weaning him off the canned a/d and onto canned d/m. He's already on Dry Purina D/m, but I had added the wet a/d when he stopped eating. Now that he's eating well, I don't need it anymore, but I am wanting to get him on the wet d/m since we plan on removing ALL of his teeth in a few months! He seems to like it really well so far. Gobbles it right up!

I wish I could stay and talk longer, but I have to go study for a final exam I have tomorrow morning! I'll be back in touch soon everyone! I hope you all are doing wonderfully!!!!

Thanks again everyone for your support! Thank you angels!!!

Hi Kirsten,

Good news all around! :banana: I'm glad to hear that your boy is feisty and doing so well. I hope it continues.

Yey for Butch!!

Kirsten, good luck on your exams! We'll all look forward to there being behind you so we can hog you more! :)

Love this news.

Glad to read that Butchie is eating well and being feisty. That reminds me of myself! :lol:

But seriously, glad all is well and that he's feeling sassy enough to play with his toy. Hope the finals went well!

Thank you Laurie, Martha Jane and Tracy! Butch is doing better than ever! I keep waiting and waiting for him to have a "bad day" or a set back. I'm really amazed and ecstatic that he has been so well! He had a hairball the other day, but I'm just not going to count that! lol

He LOVES his Purina D/M wet food and cleans his plate in record time! I wish I could give him more! He just looks at me like, that was great, now where's the rest? haha, but I don't need him to get fat on top of everything else!

This Saturday I'll be doing his first at-home curve. :)

I'm super thrilled about it, but my dad isn't so much, since he's going to be the one who has to hold butch while I get my blood samples all day! lol

Everyone cross your fingers for a really great curve!!!!! If this one goes off without a hitch, the doctors said they'll draw up a surgery estimate to have Butch's teeth removed! Yay!!!!!!

I wish I could chat longer but I have to go to school now.... :( This will be my last full week of school, and the busiest and most hectic of the year! Next week will just e final exams.... So everyone wish ME luck! lol As soon as school is out for the semester (May11th) I'll have to jump back on here and get caught up with everything I've been missing! I'm so sad, b/c I feel like I have no idea what is going on with everyone right now. There are many pets that I've been thinking about constantly...... I truly hope they are doing well. And I will certainly be getting back in touch with all soon!

So, everyone have a great day!

Butch and i will see you soon!

<3

Hi Kirsten,

Good luck on your exams!!!

I am so happy to hear that Butch is doing so well. That is really great to hear. Hope your Dad is not injured too badly during Sat's curve :) We will be keeping our fingers crossed that there are good results.

Give all your furries some critches for me.

Hi Kirsten,

Good luck on your exams!!!

I am so happy to hear that Butch is doing so well. That is really great to hear. Hope your Dad is not injured too badly during Sat's curve :) We will be keeping our fingers crossed that there are good results.

Give all your furries some scritches for me.