Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tracy IMOM

Simmy Savage

137 posts in this topic

I have a scratching post suggestion: A large, flat (no spaces or holes) piece of styrofoam makes a wonderful kitty scratch surface. In addition, kitty likes to sleep on it and frequently tunes up his masterpiece.

The downside is that you find little pieces of white everywhere but it sure does make them happy,

If you don't want to deal with the mess, try the double wide cardboard scratcher by cosmic catnip people. Get the flat one - again= it doubles as a bed

Kathy

He uses his cat nip pilow like a person does, laying his head across it. I try to write when I think of something funny about him.

Cheryl,

Oh, that is so cute :) I'll bet Simmy is adorable laying down on his little catnip pillow.

My Orion, who has since passed away, used to do the same thing with the carpet when I rented an apartment. He had plenty of scratching posts, but he liked the carpet, and he wanted to scratch in his spot - right by the door. I took an old scrap of carpet and put it over his spot. That worked with Orion, although I think I had to put something heavy on the corner of the scrap to keep it in place.

Tracy :stripekitty:

Hi guys,

Simmy is still in remission. I still am not sure that I am posting in the right place. I don't see any of my recent posts. I will try to email Tracy to see if I am. For now, I have to keep it short. But I do like to try to keep in touch. My illness has thrown a wrench in things, so I am having a bit of difficulty with writing. After I write Tracy and make sure this is getting out there, I will try to post when I feel better.

But as for Simmy, he is doing a lot better.

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,

You're posting in the right place.

I'm glad that Simmy is doing well adn is still in remission :banana: I'm sorry your illness has been causing you difficulties, though. I hope you feel better soon.

Take care,

Cheryl, I'm so sorry to read that you are still not feeling well. But it is great news that Simmy is doing so well! :banana:

Hi everyone,

I thought I would touch base since I feel okay today. Simmy is still doing well. I was looking at all of the posts and I hope I didn't miss out on thanking the last sponsor. It looked like I might have. I got a bit confused when I was posting.

I noticed a mentioned of the possibility of CRF. I need to find out what symptoms are. I will say that all of his labs other than sugar at the last appointment were normal. I have had some contact with a vet tech, and he told me that he tends to see these types of problems with ups and downs in eating in diabetic cats. He recommended trying some baby food and I have heard this many times.

I am still struggling with my own illness and many tests are going to be run on me at the end of the month. I am a little scared, because an MRI of my brain and CT of the abdomen are being run to look for possible tumors on a few of my glands. Hopefully, some answers will come that will improve my help. I am only explaining this, because I think it helps others to know where I am and how it is affecting my reponsiveness or sometimes missing things.

I noticed several helpful suggestions about scratching posts, the possibility of other illness (CRF), and just nice posts in general. I want you to know I appreciate the ideas and just am experiencing some cognitive difficulty secondary to my illness.

Simmy is still doing well. He is doing some funny things lately. He has started to know over our small garbage can in the kitchen daily. I think it is his way of getting our attention. Silly cat!!

I will be in touch.

Cheryl :cool026::banana::magicmoon:

Hi Cheryl,

I'm glad you feel OK today; I hope that continues. I'll be thinking of you when you get your tests at the end of the month - I'd be scared too. I hope that the tests will result in some answers that will help you feel better.

:hugs:

Oh boy, another kitty that likes garbage cans. My Cody does, too. He likes to dig in trash cans and see what interesting things he can find.

Thinking of you and Simmy, and hoping that your boy doesn't have CRF. I'm glad he's still doing well.

Take care,

Hi Cheryl, I'll be thinking of you also. I hope that tests come back with positive results.

My Spike likes to get up on the bathroom sink and kindly remove anything that is small. I find my earings on the floor and also found my sharpner in the garbage can. Its what happens when I won't let him out. Something always disapears.

I'm thinking of you and Simmy.

Hi

If you want to check out crf- here are two good websites with lots of information.

http://www.felinecrf.org and

http://www.felinecrf.com

And also,

http://tinyurl.com/63max

The biggest problem with crf is that it is often not detected until kidney function is greatly reduced. It does not seem to show up in tests in the early stages.

The main markers are elevated BUN and Creatine. NOte that other factors can cause BUN to increase.

Kathy

Cheryl, I'm sorry that things are so tough for you physically right now. I am sending positive thoughts to you, and hope that all will be well.

I'm glad to hear that Simmy continues to do so well. It's funny that he's been knocking over your garbage can. My kitty Bleys does that sometimes too -- but just one particular garbage can in the guest bedroom. I know it's not because he's hungry (he's not) and it's not because there's food in the guest garbage (there's not). I do think it's just to get my attention. Silly puss!

Hi everyone,

I decided to get on tonight. I have a picture that my partner created in Photoshop and I wanted to share it. We have always joked that Simmy is a superhero, and that at night, he blasts off into space. Then, we would say he came down to earth to battle evil. I am attaching the pic for everyone.

I am going to look over the info on CRF just to see. He is doing pretty well, other than still waking us early. I bought him a cardboard scratcher with catnip. Simmy goes crazy on catnip, well certain kinds. It is almost like a controlled substance in the house. It is funny that he has a couple of different catnip-filled toys, but one he mainly sleeps on and the other he sleeps on. When he got the catnip scratcher, he moved it around pushing it with his body. He seems to really like it. I hope he will use it instead of scratching on the carpet. Sometimes, I know he is just trying to get my attention. I am positive the knocking over the garbage can is to do just that. He also jumps up on my end table and knocks things over. He gets onto the sink area too and does the same. Crazy cat.

His numbers are still low. They went up a bit for a couple of days, but not enough to inject. I have been pleased with that.

Off topic, I went in for a couple of hours of radiologic scans at the end of the month. I will be hearing the results tomorrow. It is nerve-wracking. I have been trying not to think about it. I just want an answer to the illness. Quality of life matters. On a positive note, I have been able to function a bit more since I posted last. I have spent time with my twins and Simmy. Hopefully, it continues a bit.

I appreciate all of the support for Simmy and for me. Thanks for the stories about your own babies and for the information about CRF. I will investigate it. Does anyone have any thought on the use of baby food when a diabetic cat's appetite is down? I just wondered if anyone had personal experience. I know you are not vets, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Hope you enjoy the photo.

Cheryl and Simmy

post-738-1170737137_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone,

I decided to get on tonight. I have a picture that my partner created in Photoshop and I wanted to share it. We have always joked that Simmy is a superhero, and that at night, he blasts off into space. Then, we would say he came down to earth to battle evil. I am attaching the pic for everyone.

I am going to look over the info on CRF just to see. He is doing pretty well, other than still waking us early. I bought him a cardboard scratcher with catnip. Simmy goes crazy on catnip, well certain kinds. It is almost like a controlled substance in the house. It is funny that he has a couple of different catnip-filled toys, but one he mainly sleeps on and the other he sleeps on. When he got the catnip scratcher, he moved it around pushing it with his body. He seems to really like it. I hope he will use it instead of scratching on the carpet. Sometimes, I know he is just trying to get my attention. I am positive the knocking over the garbage can is to do just that. He also jumps up on my end table and knocks things over. He gets onto the sink area too and does the same. Crazy cat.

His numbers are still low. They went up a bit for a couple of days, but not enough to inject. I have been pleased with that.

Off topic, I went in for a couple of hours of radiologic scans at the end of the month. I will be hearing the results tomorrow. It is nerve-wracking. I have been trying not to think about it. I just want an answer to the illness. Quality of life matters. On a positive note, I have been able to function a bit more since I posted last. I have spent time with my twins and Simmy. Hopefully, it continues a bit.

I appreciate all of the support for Simmy and for me. Thanks for the stories about your own babies and for the information about CRF. I will investigate it. Does anyone have any thought on the use of baby food when a diabetic cat's appetite is down? I just wondered if anyone had personal experience. I know you are not vets, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Hope you enjoy the photo.

Cheryl and Simmy

Ah Cheryl, I just love that picc of Simmy walking on the moon. Your partner did a great job. I'm also glad that Simmy is still doing well. Now for you. I'm sending loads of good healing vibes that your test come back and you can find out what is wrong and get it fixed. Not knowing is a horrible feeling. I can't imagine what you are going thru.

I'm sorry I don't have any experience with diabetic cats. I'm sure someone else has and they will help you out.

Its been so cold here the boys are driving me crazy. I swear Spike was meowing "out" this morning. He is getting into everything, climbing on the counters, he's even gone back to scratching on the side of the couch and ruining my brand new couch cover. I keep threatening him that he's gonna have to stay in the dog crate while I'm gone, but its not working. He know's better.

My boys love catnip too. Funny though, Tigger eats it and then rolls in whatever is left over, and Spike just rolls in it so its all over his body, then cleans it off himself. Its like a controlled substance here too. I have to keep it in a glass jar with a screw top lid, otherwise I come home to find it scattered all over the kitchen and two very stoned boys laying there unable to move.

I'm thinking of you and Simmy.

A word on catnip. Catnip should live in the freezer. It keeps the catnip fresh and also most kitties can not open the freezer door. Freezer is also good for rejuvenating catnip toys. Put them in a plastic bag first to avoid frostbite and everything in the freezer smelling like catnip.

If you can locate a large piece of styrofoam that is flat on one side- it makes a great scratch board. Of course, you will be picking up pieces of styro forever, but it makes the kitties very happy.

Cosmic catnip is the drug of choice around here. They can even smell it in a plastic bag

If you put sticky paws on the couch it will discourage scratching.

A word about diabetic cats- I was at the local animal hospital and one woman told me her kitty was able to be controlled by a change of diet. She found that out when her kitty crashed- he was actually under control from the diet change and then the insulin pushed him over the edge. So, carefully monitor your kitty after the shot.

There are some good diabetic cat groups on yahoo groups. Also do a google search on feline diabetes- some very good sites for that as well.

I would ask on the diabetic cat group if baby food is ok for them. Make sure that you only feed the chicken or beef or turkey from beechnut- the one that costs 80 cents a jar. The others have garlic and onion and can give kitty Heinz anemia.

Kathy

Wow thanks Kathy I looked up Sticky paws and its just what I need. Spike doesn't use the scratch pad no matter what I do. And I really need to save the fabric on this cover. He alreay destroyed the original. I couldn't deal with the styrofoam all over, besides the dogs would be eating it constantly.

Never thought of putting the catnip in the freezer. I'll give it a shot and see if they like it better.

Thanks for the info.

Hi Cheryl,

Oh my gosh, that pic of Simmy in the space suit is great!! What a hoot! :lol:

That's neat that Simmy enjoys his catnip that much. Cody is my only kitty, and he has no interest in catnip whatsoever.

Does anyone have any thought on the use of baby food when a diabetic cat's appetite is down? I just wondered if anyone had personal experience. I know you are not vets, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

I always keep a stock of baby food on hand for Cody. Between his CRF and his inflammatory bowel disease, he gets vomiting and/or low appetite fairly often. It seems to calm his tummy. I have never seen him refuse baby food, even when he won't eat anything else. Now, every time he throws up, he demands baby food. He comes into the kitchen looking for it, and will sit there and meow until I give him some :) I make sure that I don't buy baby food with onion powder in it, though, as onions are toxic to cats.

I hope the results of your medical tests give you some answers that can help you feel better and regain more quality of life. Waiting for test results is nerve-wracking. I'm thinking of you and sending good thoughts.

Take care,

Tracy

Hi guys,

Sorry I haven't been around. I have had a rough time of it the last several days. I was relieved that there are no tumors, but also frustrated that there are no answers yet. It is possible that testosterone might be one culprit and other hormones. I have an appointment and hopefullly answers will come.

Anyway, enough about me. I was glad that I checked my email today. Tracy let me know that Simmy was fully sponsored. It was some of the best news ever. The only other great thing that happened was Simmy going into remission and my kids getting some special time during my slight remission. I couldn't agree more about testing before giving insulin. Not doing so could lead to a hypo state. I was never willing to take the chance even with my illness. :smokin::smokin::smokin:

I want to thank everyone who sponsored us and made his treatment possible.

I am glad you enjoyed the pic of Simmy on the moon. My twins went crazy. I wanted to pass along something new I tried with regard to the couch. I bought (a long time ago) a couch cover at Wal-Mart. It worked and I have successfully broken him of scratching the recliner and the couch this way. I have to leave the cover on the couch. But I also bought something cheap and new from Trader Joe's which is a little store where you can buy just about anything. It was made of cardboard and to be honest I didn't think it would work to break him of scratching on my carpet. I put catnip on it like the instructions recommended. He loves it and it doesn't make a mess. I thought it would, but it is great. I thought I would pass it on as an idea. He has always been a scratcher of everything. This has broken him of it. He hasn't scratched in his traditional spot since the day I bought it.

I want to write more, but I am sweating. I needed to say thank you and I will be back in touch.

Many thanks from Simmy and our family,

Cheryl

:smokin:

Hi Cheryl, it's great news to read that there are no tumors. Yay! I know that it is frustrating that you still don't have answers, but this is very wonderful news to receive.

It's also wonderful news that Simmy is fully sponsored! Thank you, angel, for graciously donating the remaining monthly amount that Simmy needs.

We also have one of those vertical cardboard scratchers in our house. As long as I keep it supplied with fresh cardboard, my kitties love using it. Of course, they also love eating the loose catnip!

Hi Cheryl,

THat's great news that there are no tumors, although I'm sure you're frustrated by having no answers yet. I hope some answers will come in the next appointment.

I was so happy for you and Simmy when I found out that he was fully sponsored. I forgot to post here about him being fully sponsored, like I said I would - oops :blush:

THat's great that the cardboard scratcher is helping break Simmy of his carpet scratching habit. My cat Cody loves cardboard scratchers and prefers those to the expensive cat trees.

I hope you're feeling better soon. Take care, and give Simmy a hug from me.

Tracy :heart::stripekitty:

Hi Cheryl,

Although I haven't posted I've kept an eye over here and wanted to way I'm also glad they didn't find any tumors and that Simmy is fully sponsored! We also hope you'll get some answers with the next appt.

In addition, thank you for both the suggestions about a couch cover, (not in our budget now but maybe someday) and about the cardboard scratcher which I'd never heard of as I've a real problem with my kitty scratching everything but the cheap little post I'd gotten her which she's never so much as sniffed!

Happy Valentines Day!

IPB Image

Martha Jane and Baila(my PIN)

Hi there,

Well, nothing concrete has happened to help my health. The new doctor was a disappointment. My OB thinks I am having hormonal issues and is going to attempt replacement. Hopefully, it works.

As for the cardboard scratcher, I never would have thought something so cheap would attract Simmy, but it did. It is all he uses now. He has even stopped using his cheap post. The cardboard scratcher comes with catnip and lies flat on the floor. Perhaps, this is why he likes it so much. He even lies down on it. You might be able to get it at a cat supply store. I used to work in one that sold them. They last a long time. Trader Joe's is a good source and this is easy on the pocket book any way you look at it. And there is not the mess.

Simmy is still doing well, and I will try to write more later.

I wanted to at least let you know what was up, but I am still not well.

Thanks,

Cheryl :ten:

Hi Cheryl,

I'm sorry the new doctor hasn't been able to help. I hope the hormone replacement therapy works for you.

My cat Cody loves the cardboard scratcher. He'd rather use that than anything, even the big cat tree. Some cats seem to prefer scratching on things that lie flat on the floor. He will also lie down on his scratcher, and also sit in the middle of it.

I'm glad Simmy is doing so well. Still off insulin, I hope? :luck:

Take care, and I hope you're feeling better soon.

Tracy :heart::stripekitty:

Hi Cheryl,

I'm so sorry the dr was no help. I hope the hormone replacement does the trick. And I'm so glad that Simmy is sponsored. Get some rest and I hope you are feeling better soon. Sending loads of healing vibes for your speedy recovery.

Kathy - I got that sticky paws and you should have seen spikes face when he went to scratch and his paws stuck :biggrin: He was not a happy camper at all, and hasn't been back to the couch since. Thanks so much for telling me about it.

Hi Cheryl,

I hope your health continues to improve, and that you are feeling better.

Glad to hear that Simmy continues to do well. Please give him some gentle pets for me.

Hi everyone,

I don't know if I am supposed to keep posting in this location now that Simmy is sponsored, but I am going to unless I hear otherwise. Simmy is still doing well except the incessant waking of us at night. I finally called the vet today to ask him if he will fill out the necessary paperwork for his first appointment. I haven't heard back from him, but I only called today. I really want to take him in just to make sure everything is alright now that his blood glucose is normal.

As for me, I am still waiting to begin a course of hormone therapy for those that are following. I am hoping this will bring a change to our lives that is needed. Everyone keep paws and fingers crossed for us. I was lucky to have one doctor that listened to me, and the other doctor that I mentioned previously, agreed with his assessment when I spoke with her by phone today about some labs. Funny how they change their tune when another doctor says that they are wrong about their assessment of a patient's needs. That said, I have another endocrinologist that I am going to also see in April and hope he will be the one.

You have all been very supportive of Simmy and me, and we greatly appreciate your generousity.

I will be writing to you, Tracy, by email tonight or tomorrow. Until next . . .

Cheryl, Simmy, and family

:dogsled::peeing::pp_animal_568::spot:minichat6:

My twins went crazy with the emoticons, but oh well. I am going to attach a pic of them for everyone to see my other precious babies.

post-738-1172799815_thumb.jpg

Hi Cheryl, it's great to hear an update from you. I hope the hormone therapy is going to help you out -- will keep fingers crossed that you will be feeling better soon.

Your twins are beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing their photo with us. That picture is so wonderful.

I think it's a great idea to take Simmy in for a checkup to make sure everything is going okay. Please let us know how the visit goes.

And yes, you are posting in the right place!

Laurie