Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tracy IMOM

Simmy Savage

137 posts in this topic

Diagnosis: diabetes

Total amount needed: $165 per month

Caseworker: Tracy

Spayed/neutered: Yes

Simmy is an adorable 10-year-old kitty who has been recently diagnosed with diabetes. Here is what his mom Cheryl says about Simmy:

Simmy is a sweet, affectionate cat recently diagnosed with diabetes. He has always been a good cat even to my twins. Because of my financial struggles, Simmy is unable to get adequate treatment. The initial visit that I had was paid for by someone in the rescue community but was a one-time thing. I am now BG testing and also Simmy was put on PZI insulin thanks to initial help for the appointment at Hawthorne Veterinarian Clinic. He is a good boy about BG testing and injections.

I am on Social Security Disability Income and that is supporting a family of four. Between my disability income and food stamps, we are barely making it and living beneath the poverty level. Because of my physical illness, my partner has to help me and help care for the kids. This has caused him to be unable to work at this time. There is no amount of words that would begin to explain the impact that this has had on me physically and mentally. The whole family is feeling the impact of loss of hope and stress from being unable to help our little Simmy.

That is why we are reaching out for help. Simmy is in a desperate situation. He needs to be sponsored so that he can get the help he so desperately needs to recover from this illness. Please help us to make our cat well again.

Here is Simmy:

[attachmentid=1425]

Donations for Simmy can be made at http://imom.org/donation/index.htm

Please indicate DPF - Simmy Savage on all donations.

One-time donations, as well as monthly sponsorships, are always welcome.

Cheryl has been very communicative and cooperative through the application process and is already active on our Online Community. I know she and Simmy will appreciate any assistance you can give. Thank you, angels, for considering helping Simmy and his family. :Angel15:

Tracy :stripekitty:

post-8-1166324899_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tracy IMOM

Hi,

I am Simmy's mom, Cheryl. It has been a long road to this point for me and I am truly grateful that IMOM is willing to take Simmy on as a pet in need of help. Simmy has been doing a little better with his PZI insulin, but he has a ways to go before being regulated. His blood glucose was around 384 this morning before his shot. There have been a couple of times that it has gone above 400. He hasn't found his proper dose yet and insulin is new to him. He was more active today, but is having an infection in his eye that has been going on for awhile now. I have been using an antibiotic ointment, but it is taking a long time for Simmy to recover. He also has an upper respiratory infection. I think with adequate treatment and time, Simmy's diabetes can be controlled and the infections will clear. Please know that anyone who sponsors Simmy is really helping a family in need and a great kitty that would probably say thank you himself if he could. I will keep you posted. If you should have any questions about Simmy, feel free to ask. I will be as quick about responding as I can. :magicmoon:

Hi Cheryl, welcome to IMOM. Simmy looks like such a sweet boy. I am sure the angels here will soon have Simmy sponsored.

Eye infections and upper respiratory infections can just be a bear to battle, but with time and patience I know they will both go away. I'm sorry that Simmy is having to deal with this in addition to the diabetes.

In my experience here at IMOM, the more you post, the more successful you will be in raising funds for Simmy. All of us here love animals so very much, and we love getting to know the pets in need... so please feel free to tell us anything and everything you can about Simmy. We'd enjoy getting to know him better!

Laurie

Hi again,

Simmy is such a sweet, big kitty. He is loving to everyone that knows him and I have yet to see anyone that doesn't love him. He truly is a special cat.

Today, I had a tougher time getting a BG test. After the fourth poke, I got it. It came back as 158. That was the best so far. He seems to be doing better today. I don't like that he is struggling with an eye infection and URI, but I think it is improving. The litter box isn't so full of urine. Things aren't normal yet though. I hate to describe it, but his urine still smells like sugar--not normal.

I can tell you that Simmy is truly a great cat that has been there when I was at my worst. I wish this wasn't happening to him.

He has been looking out the window today, he was running around a bit more, and this made me happy.

I will post more as soon as I can. I also have twins, but I will be in touch as much as possible.

I hope angels will come Simmy's way.

Thanks,

Cheryl :five:

I also hope Angel's will come Simmy's way. You are do a great job posting.

Sending Simmy's lots of :hugs: .

Hi Cheryl,

158 is a nice number. It sounds like you're going in the right direction, towards getting Simmy regulated. I am glad that his URI and eye infection seem to be improving and that he seems like he's doing better today. I hope he continues to improve.

Simmy sounds like a wonderful family member. I've had 2 diabetic kitties, and I've felt the same way you do - wish it wasn't happening to such sweet and loving guys.

I also hope the angels come Simmy's way. You're doing a really good job of reaching out to the donors and sharing Simmy with them, so I think they will :luck:

Hi again,

I had a hard day today, because the door to my house locked us out and we had to break off the doorknob to get inside. It is cold here, and I usually don't go out much. Anyway, I will try to update you guys. Simmy was stressed by the event and I am about ready to test him again.

I will post asap.

Thanks,

Cheryl and Simmy

I've got some good news - Simmy already has a $30 a month sponsor signed up!! :banana: A big THANK YOU to the generous angel who has decided to sponsor Simmy! :)

:thanks3:

Hi,

I wanted to say how thrilled I was to hear that Simmy already has a sponsor. I cannot say thank you enough. I never a response so soon. It is a good thing that needs to be complimented. It will really help little (big) Simmy.

I also wanted to say that Simmy's BG was 209 tonight, I believe, but still lower. He is still eating better, urination was up a bit which seemed odd, but the infection seemed better.

Thanks again,

Cheryl and Simmy

:banana::cool026::magicmoon:

I've got some good news - Simmy already has a $30 a month sponsor signed up!!

This is very happy news. Thank you, angel!

Welcome, Cheryl! Your boy Simmy is very, very cute. :whitekitty: Thank you so much for not giving up on him and for taking the leap into the world of home testing and insulin regulation. It takes a while to get the hang of the ear pricks but before you know it you and Simmy will be in a routine. The home testing is so important. Sometimes my cat's BG would be lower than usual and if I had given her insulin she would have crashed. You probably already know about the Feline Diabetes site, which has lots of helpful information, esp. for first-timers.

It's very exciting that Simmy has his first sponsor already. :) I wish I could help out, but I'm still recovering from cancer treatment bills for one of my cats. However, there are lots of serious cat lovers here..... and other kind folks who will help cats OR dogs in need...... so I'm sure more sponsors will follow.

You're also lucky to have Tracy in your corner. Not that we like her or anything...... ;););)

You're also lucky to have Tracy in your corner. Not that we like her or anything...... ;););)

LOL, Kim, you always know how to induce a smile :)

Cheryl, that's good news about Simmy's lower BG number. With home testing and being able to start him on insulin, you're already on the right track. I'm glad his infection seems better. Hopefully it'll be gone before long :luck:

Hi,

Today I tested Simmy and his BG was 309. I was a little disappointed. But it probably will take awhile for him to be regulated. I wanted to write something, but I also am feeling a little down today.

I am active on the Feline Diabetes Board, but I am glad that someone mentioned watching for low BG numbers. It is something that I have looked into. I hope Simmy gets a honeymoon, like some cats do.

Sorry if I seem negative. Simmy is doing a little better, and I am grateful for that. I also am happy about his sponsor.

I will try to write later to update people on his BG numbers. I think the eye infection is close to being gone.

Thanks everyone,

Cheryl :magicmoon:

Hi again,

Simmy's eye looks a little better but is still bugging him. I spoke to soon. But he is doing better. It is a back and forth thing. His BG tonight was 237. Better than this morning. I had my partner do the test for the first time. He poked but only got a bit of blood. Then, I assisted and we got blood. My partner gave Simmy the shot--first time! He did pretty well and Simmy purred the whole time.

I am not doing very well. The stress of everything has gotten to me. My movement disorder is out of control. It has made things more stressful when I am trying to monitor Simmy. I am trying to do my best on letting you know where he is and what kind of cat he is.

A cat that purrs through a whole procedure of that is a truly unique one.

Simmy is curled up under the light where we do his testing and shots. He like lamps and heating registers. At sixteen pounds, he feels like he needs the extra heat and always has. A little tidbit about his personality.

I am having a hard time managing things with my own illnesses, but I think I will take this to the community forum.

Thanks guys,

Cheryl :catwatching:

Hi Cheryl,

I'm sorry that Simmy's eye is still bugging him, but glad that he seems to be doing better. That's great that your partner is learning to do BG tests and insulin shots. Now you'll have a backup to help out.

I'm sorry you're not doing well. I think that eventually, the stress of monitoring Simmy may diminish because it'll just become another routine. It sounds like Simmy is already doing well - purring through the whole procedure, that's very cool :)

My Cody loves his heat as well. Heated pet bed, electric blanket - he will even get into the vertical blinds to try and soak up even the smallest ray of sunlight. Yes, actually in the blinds - he won't even wait for one of us to open them. He wants his sun, now :)

You're right, BG regulation may take a while. A 309 isn't that terrible, especially for a kitty still going thru initial regulation. It sounds like you're on the right track - and yes, wouldn't a honeymoon be wonderful! :) I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Hi guys,

Today Simmy had a BG test in the morning. It was under 150. I can't remember the exact number, but pretty close to that. He still got his shot. I think the insulin might be starting to settle. Simmy is acting more frisky. He is still begging for dry food, but I have to keep him off of it, because it causes his BGs to go up.

I am hoping for angels for Simmy still. I appreciate the community here. Simmy is a good boy. It is difficult for one of us to blood test by ourselves, but I am hoping that there is a way.

First, my partner, Barry has to get it down.

But he is trying and the injections are going well. He pretty much has that. A little more practice.

Thanks and I will be around.

Cheryl :magicmoon:

Hi Cheryl, thank you for doing such a great job of keeping us posted on how Simmy is doing. I know that it really will make a difference with finding angels to sponsor your baby.

I'd love to hear more about Simmy -- how old is he? How did he come to be a part of your family? How did he get his unique name? Or anything else you'd like to tell us so we can all get to know him better.

I am not doing very well. The stress of everything has gotten to me. My movement disorder is out of control. It has made things more stressful when I am trying to monitor Simmy.

Cheryl, I truly understand what you are going through. Earlier this year, one of my kitties was diagnosed with chronic renal disease, and I had to start giving him sub-cutaneous fluids 3 times a week. It was so scary the first several times I did it, but now I feel very comfortable with it and I don't get nervous or stressed at all. Like Tracy says, I'm sure the testing and shots will soon become routine.

Purrs to Simmy from my kitties!

Simmy has another sponsor!!! :banana::cool026::banana: This sponsor has generously signed up for $25 a month. THANK YOU to Simmy's newest angel :Angel15:

:thanks3:

Hi,

I wanted to take thank you for sponsoring Simmy. Again, I cannot tell you how happy we are to be honored with the help that is coming our way. :cool026::magicmoon:

I guess some of our prayers are being heard and answered. This is truly a great place.

I am going to write a little more about Simmy in response to the earlier question.

Thanks,

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl, thank you for doing such a great job of keeping us posted on how Simmy is doing. I know that it really will make a difference with finding angels to sponsor your baby.

I'd love to hear more about Simmy -- how old is he? How did he come to be a part of your family? How did he get his unique name? Or anything else you'd like to tell us so we can all get to know him better.

Cheryl, I truly understand what you are going through. Earlier this year, one of my kitties was diagnosed with chronic renal disease, and I had to start giving him sub-cutaneous fluids 3 times a week. It was so scary the first several times I did it, but now I feel very comfortable with it and I don't get nervous or stressed at all. Like Tracy says, I'm sure the testing and shots will soon become routine.

Purrs to Simmy from my kitties!

Hi,

I wanted to answer some of the questions about how Simmy was named. Simmy is 10 years old. I adopted Simmy, because I had a feral cat that just wouldn't come out of her shell. She even dug out of my home through the insulation once. After multiple times at bringing her back in, she still wasn't happy. She had lost a companion when my roommate moved out with his dog. I never knew she liked him, but she cried every night after he left. Everyone just said to put her outside and that I shouldn't keep her. But I had a different idea. I decided to try to find her a new friend. Simmy is extremely laid back, and no one wanted to adopt him. I don't know why. Maybe because he didn't look like the other cats that were more colorful and fluffy. I remember when I first saw him. I reached down to pick him up and he arched his back, gave me a hiss, and I laughed. I knew he was the one for me. He never hissed or growled at me again. At the vet, that is a little different. He was so sweet. I was very down at the time and used to sleep a lot. He kept me company. But he was so curious about Jasmine, my feral cat. He went down the hall the first time and she hissed at him. He slowly walked back to my room to sleep with me. About 30 minutes later, he decided he wanted to talk to her. So, he again attempted. She hissed and growled. Again, he returned to me seemingly unfazed. About 30 minutes later, he went down the hall again. I found the two of them under a futon bed I had. She was hissing and he was just trying to play with her. What is funny is that she had a litter of kittens and one looked very similar to him. I used to call him Oreo. Eventually, they became good friends and she mothered Simmy. It even caused her to sleep with us on the bed, allow us to pet her, and she treated him like a baby. As he became older, he liked that and disliked it. But it never stopped the bond between them. That is how Simmy joined my family.

As for his name, I always like to find something original. I was talking to my mom and I said a few names, and then said "Why don't I call him Symmetry?" It was because Simmy's markings are almost completely symmetrical. But she said that it sounded to much like a cemetary. I threw off some ideas and finally Simmy came to mind. She loved it and so did everyone else. I always am asked that question, but for some reason, I didn't think about it until you asked me again.

Off that topic a bit, Simmy's tummy is a bit upset today. He did have a reading of just under 150 this morning. I will know more tonight. Hopefully, a honeymoon will occur.

Thanks for listening and I am going to sign off for now.

Hugs,

Cheryl and Simmy

Sending purrs right back at your kitties

Anyway, I have to sign off for now

Hi

I am signing up for ten dollars a month. I wish I could do more - Jade has a huge vet bill that I will be paying for a long time. Hope this helps a little.

Kathy and Jade and Taboo (Jade's Daddy and life partner)

Hi,

I am glad I got on here. I wanted to thank the most recent sponsor, Kathy. We truly appreciate the support coming from this board.

Simmy's BG's came into the normal range for over the last day or so. He had a BG of 109. Then, it was a bit higher. This morning it was 128. I had lowered the dose to 1 unit of PZI as a precaution last night.

I want to write a bit more, but I am challenged by my twins and restless legs syndrome write now. Bear with me, and I will try to write tonight.

Again, many thank to our recent sponsor.

Thanks and I will post more later,

Cheryl

:magicmoon::cool026:

Wow, Cheryl, those BG's are really good! :cool026: I hope that the good numbers continue for Simmy. :luck:

Hi,

I wanted to tell everyone "Sorry" that I haven't been on for a bit. I have been really ill and just haven't been able to cope well. Simmy is still doing well. I had to cut his dose to 1 unit B.I.D. because the numbers were within normal range. One read was 109. However, after a day and 1/2, his BG jumped up to 189. So, after a lot of thought, I increased the dose. If the numbers get too low, then I might skip the shot for the night. He still isn't on as much as he was. He is getting 1 and 1/2 unit. We will see how that does. I am a bit concerned that he appears to be tired and not eating as well.

But he appears to want to play and I can get him to eat with at little help. So, I kind of wanted to update things.

A little note on Simmy. Someone on here mentioned that his/her cat would do anything to get a bit of sunlight. Simmy is exactly the same. Even if there is a circle of sunlight on the floor, he is right there with it.

We want everyone to know how much we appreciate the help and to know we are still here, even if I don't get on every day.

Thanks so much for the support and help,

Cheryl and Simmy :magicmoon: