Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
kuhio98

Sylvia-RB 12/23/06

145 posts in this topic

Thanks so much for checking in on us, Sylvia is doing pretty well! She has been waking us up every morning at 4:30 again :) It's so good to see that she's come upstairs and meowing her head off, even if it is 4:30 in the morning......I'm just glad she can still make it up and down the stairs.

I took her in for an exam and belly tap today with my primary vet. She let me come in (actually encourages it) the operating room and cuddle Sylvia during the procedure. That is one of the nice things about having her do the procedure on Syl as opposed to a veterinary hospital, they almost never allow you to be with your pet during such procedures.

It went very well, and Sylvia was extremely relaxed and calm....I was afraid that it would be painful and stressful for Syl. But she just laid on her side, purred while I scritched her ears. She looked all around the room, surveying everything from her spot on the operating table :)

My vet pulled more than 2lbs of fluid out of Syls abdomen, I told them Sylvia was having liposuction for the holidays... :lol:

She seems a bit more lethargic tonight and out of sorts, but when she had the tap done 2 weeks ago I noticed the same behavior. I'm hoping it will only last about 2 days, like last time.

I took some pictures of her today walking to her food dish, right after she got home from her liposuction.. :lol: I'll try to post them soon..

Thanks again for checking in on her, she is something else, so incredibly strong. She handles everything we throw at her with such grace and dignity....she is amazing.

Laura, I'm so happy to hear from you and to know that Sylvia is having pretty good days. And I'm glad that things went so well at the vet. I do indeed hope that the lethargy passes soon. Would love to see pix of your sweet girl when you have a chance.

Hi Laura,

I'm happy to hear that Syl is having some pretty good days. Even if she does wake you at 4:30 AM. lol.

Aw, what a good girl she was during her procedure. The liposuction, that is. LOL!!! :roll:

I hope Syl has many more pretty-good days. I'll look forward to the pics when you can post them.

:hugs:

Tracy :stripekitty::heart:

Laura,

I'm glad the tap was easy for both of you. hoping that Syl is back to her alarm clock routine soon. many hugs to all of the bratz.

p

and the boys

Checking in on Sylvia. What a good girl she was for the tapping procedure. Give her a snuggle from me and tell her I am so proud of her!!!

It went very well, and Sylvia was extremely relaxed and calm....I was afraid that it would be painful and stressful for Syl. But she just laid on her side, purred while I scritched her ears. She looked all around the room, surveying everything from her spot on the operating table :)

Syl is not just a pretty face, she is very smart too, and she undoubtedly knew that you all were helping her to feel better. :heart:

Holy crap...she was carrying around 2 pounds of fluid? Poor little girl. I really hope she starts to feel better after that!

Give her some nuzzels and scritches from us...

Sissy and Lynette

Oh, Laura, thank God u were able to do a second tap!!!!

2lbs-wow. Syl has such a strong spirit. She is just extraordinary!

Hugs to u, Chris and all the furries --esp Syl!!

Here are some new pics of the new 'slimmer" Sylvia Ann......

[attachmentid=1416]

[attachmentid=1417]

Sashaying to her food dish right after she came home from the procedure.

[attachmentid=1418]

Having a snack :)

[attachmentid=1419]

Hanging out on the half wall, I haven't seen her up there in eons so I grabbed my camera

[attachmentid=1420]

Her favorite spot on the couch....right next to Daddy

[attachmentid=1421]

She's seem very out of sorts from the tap, and we noticed that the first time she had it done. She acted "off" for about two days, so I am hoping she seems better tomorrow. She will not eat the pillpockets anymore so I am having to "pill" her the old fashioned way, which I hate doing. But I think the pepcid is making a difference in her ability to eat, although she has been eating much less lately :(

She's slowing down even more and it's really difficult to watch, I really hate this part of having pets, it's so emotionally painful. But I'm glad we can do things to help keep her comfy for now, and that she's not some poor kitty without a loving home going through this.

post-7-1166318534_thumb.jpg

post-7-1166318561_thumb.jpg

post-7-1166318593_thumb.jpg

post-7-1166318633_thumb.jpg

post-7-1166318661_thumb.jpg

post-7-1166318703_thumb.jpg

Laura,

Oh, what great pics! Syl is such a pretty girl. I like the one of her up on the half wall, too - I see 2 little orange friends, and 7 little kitty-sized stockings hanging over the fireplace :) How cute.

I'm sorry that Syl is no longer eating the pill pockets. Pilling the old fashioned way isn't any fun :(

She's slowing down even more and it's really difficult to watch, I really hate this part of having pets, it's so emotionally painful. But I'm glad we can do things to help keep her comfy for now, and that she's not some poor kitty without a loving home going through this.

I hate that aspect of having pets, too. It's so hard to watch, but you're doing the best you can. And, like you said, it's so much better than if she was a kitty without a loving home.

:hugs: to you and Syl.

Tracy :stripekitty::heart:

I hate that Sylvia is slowing down Laura but it's nice to see that she still has a sashay in her step. She is such a beautiful girl and is so very lucky to have shared her life with such a loving family. Hope the pilling process goes well and that she continues to do well.

Lynette

Laura, thank you for posting the wonderful pictures of Sylvia. In spite of my sadness about her illness, it does put a smile on my face to see her photos. She is truly a beautiful girl.

Checking in on Sylvia. Id' feel a little "off" after a stomach tap too, I hope she's feeling better tomorrow.

Good to see her on the half wall !

Lots of snuggles fro Sylvia!

Just checking on Sulvia. Yes this is the hardest part of having pets. but at least she has a loving mom to take care of her.

Hugs to all of you and your in our thoughts and prayers.

Laura, just wanted to check in on y'all and Sylvia. Hope she's doing better after the tap. Such beautiful pictures. Y'all are in my thoughts & prayers.

Hi Laura,

I just read Sylvia's thread and wanted to offer my support. I pretty much went thru the same thing with my dog Bear. Radiation treatment, everything okay and then it came back in another spot.

Sylvia is such a beautiful cat. Her baby piccs are adorable. I'm hoping that she will hang in there for one last Christmas. All of my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Hi Debs,

I've been meaning to reply to this post for a while now, but I've been having a difficult time with Sylvia illness to say the least. I am so sorry about Bear, and it really stinks when your pet beats cancer in one spot to have it come back in another. It is an awful feeling, and something that I *thought* I was prepared for.

It's odd how even after you get the all clear on the radiated cancer, you can't let go of the fear that it might come back somewhere else..... I tried to just enjoy Sylvia this past year, and was pretty successful, although I was constantly scrutinizing every little thing about her. Had several "false alarms" as well.

Thanks for stopping by and posting Deb, your support means a lot to me..

Thank you all for checking in on Sylvia, and I'm sorry I haven't been posting about her, but it's just been too depressing :( Plus I haven't been online that much, having lots of drama at work and in the evening I like to hang downstairs with Sylvia.

She is not doing well at all. We brought her in for what we thought would be her last vet appointment last night, she never rallied after her tap and slowly stopped eating.

Of course when my husband went home to pick her up (he had to meet me at the vet), Sylvia perked up and ate a decent amount. Sooooo, we decided to try an appetite stimulant (2 shots, I forget what they were) and some fluids since she was a bit dehydrated.

She was weak and wobbly this morning, but did eat some. I managed to get close to 3/4 can of AD & Wellness into her, between this morning before work and tonight after coming home. But she still looks bad tonight, so tired and uncomfortable. I hate seeing her like this and wonder if we should have just sent her on her journey last night. But I have a half day tomorrow, so I can really spend some time with her, then I can get a better idea of how her days are. Vet wants to wait a day or two then reassess.

My vet is wonderful, she told me she will be around (office closes tomorrow late afternoon through Tuesday) over the long holiday weekend and to call her if we need anything. She'll come in to the office if Sylvia needs her. It would be nice if Sylvia was with us for the holiday, but if she can't make it, I understand. :broken_heart:

Thanks again for checking in on her, I wish it could have been a better update.

Oh Laura...I am so sorry Syl is not doing well. Sending you and she hugs and kisses. Big hugs to your husband as well. All of you are in my prayers.

Lynette

Laura, Syl has been such a beautiful part of your family for so long, I'm really sorry and very glad you have such a good vet, who obviously appreciates you too. I won't be on for a while but will start lighting candles now in hopes of at least one last rally and, if the time has really come, for a well earned very good journey. Many hugs and kisses to all of you and your colony!

:heart:

Baila, Martha Jane and Fur Family

Edited by Baila