Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Amy IMOM

Layla Poinelli

379 posts in this topic

I opened the car door to coax her away from the road..she ran (and I mean RAN) into my lap and instantly started purring. She just looked at me as though I was an angel, here to save her. :)

That is damn unusual for a cat! Poor sweetie - makes me wonder if some POS dumped her out of a car. Well, she knew a quality person when she saw one come along! She is beautiful too. Teddie taught me that there's nothing better in this life than a brown tabby.... with green eyes. :)

Are Layla and Nefertiti buds?

That is damn unusual for a cat! Poor sweetie - makes me wonder if some POS dumped her out of a car. Well, she knew a quality person when she saw one come along! She is beautiful too. Teddie taught me that there's nothing better in this life than a brown tabby.... with green eyes. :)

Are Layla and Nefertiti buds?

Silly me! Your Teddie does have green eyes!!! How gorgeous!! Oh she is a doll!!! Give her some hugs from me please? Oh, Im in love.... ;)

Yep, I think someone just dumped Nefertiti. She had an old, white flea collar on that you could tell had been there for some time. It was all stretched out and just hanging on her...Broke my heart...I'll never forget the day...

She was on Gulf to Bay in Clearwater and it was January I believe (ok...so I forgot the month but I remember the moment :) ) and I saw her soooo close to the street....it freaked me out. I opened the car door, in the drive thru at the bank, and just said kitty kitty and rubbed my fingers together. She RAAN into the car, no hesitation, and jumped in my lap and made herself comfy. She trusted me from the get go. So did Mr. Jynx to think about it. He slept in my room IN my hair the very first nite...Now HE is Layla's buddy...Nefertiti likes to sleep on my pillow looking right at me, she sleeps under the covers too, with her head on the pillow like we sleep!!! She is so darn cute.. :)

Layla and her LOVE eachother. When ever the kitty gets out, I open the door for Layla and say Get the Kitty and she plays with the cat in the yard until she forgets that she ever wanted to escape. SERIOUSLY! Nefertiti suffers from ADHD (or whatever its called), the kitty form :) She forgets what she is doing ALL the time, its the funniest thing. Her and Layla sleep together on the bed sometimes. The share food, toys,..Nefertit LOVES food, i think from being outside for so long, and if I feed Layla, I feed Nefertiti. So they get treats at the same time. I tell Layla to sit, Nefertiti sits! Its sooo cute!!!

Im going to bed...Im in my pjs and Im ready...I still have to pack up the child ;) I just cannot believe she is back and walking!!!! Oh yay!!!!

Edited by LaylaAnn05

"Dumped" her into a pair of the most lovinest arms she could wish for with the added bonus of four paws that can show her the way. A real "home sweet home."

It's so good to hear your joy popping out all over in your latest posts. Long waits have longer rewards! Nice to come home from work and read that the center of your world has returned!

Hi Gabrielle,

I agree, it sounds like Nefertiti was dumped. Well, some jerk's loss, and your gain. Nefertiti knows a good thing when she sees it :)

I could tell you to try and not be nervous on Wednesday, but I should talk...I'd be nervous, too. Good luck with the appointment :luck: !!

Give Layla and all your fur babies a big hug and kiss from me

:hugs:

Tracy :heart::stripekitty:

Gabrielle, just wondering how todays visit went...I've been reading all of Layla's thread but haven't gotten to post much...we are having issues with our Cody...he's a setter mix and he just turned 16 yrs. old in August...he's not doing too well so I've been to the vet to see what we can do...

Hoping that Layla is getting better and better each and every day...Is she eating well? I would imagine once she got home she relaxed and got back into her old routine...

Hoping the visit the ther physical therapist was good...Hugs, Judy

Francine - Aww...how sweet! I always wonder what could have been had I not cashed my check that day....I wouldn't have her...would someone else have saved her? Probably not...she was sooo close to that road...

I am sooo happy! Having Layla home is the greatest!!! I still wake up at nite and check on her...to see if she is really there...and of course she is... :) My parents say I am her motivation cuz she's always trying to follow me...even if I just get a drink, she has to know where Mom is :) LOVIN IT!!!!

Juli and Tracy - Puurrr...Thank you! I have to be cute cuz otherwise Mom would put me out!!! (No I wouldnt!! :) ) Between my obsession with tipping over cups with water and my incessive need to play with every garbage bag in the house, I better be cute!!! And tell mom Im out of treats....

Love Nefertiti :stripekitty:

:) Thanks for the well wishes Tracy...Im crossing my fingers for tomorrow (and my toes, and my eyes and everything else!!!;) )

Off to school I go...and just in case everyone is wondering, STRAIGHT A's!!!!

Gabrielle, We must have been posting at the same time...duh...I was thinking that today was Wednesday...

What are you taking in school? Straight A's, pretty darn good...

Your pets are sure lucky to have a wonderful Mom like you...

I am SO THRILLED that Layla is doing so well and now can be back with you and her buddy...

Can you believe that things worked out as they did?? Pretty darn amazing...I'm so happy for you both. Judy

Just sending loads of good wishes and good luck for tmw!!!

Everything will be fine!

What a treat to see Layla standing...and I teared up knowing she was finally home in her mum's arms.

Please give her a hug for me.

Umm Laura, who are --shoot I forget the first part--someone and the Dominoes with the song Layla. Did they do Layla before Eric Clapton??

Oh, Cindy, Cindy, Cindy -- Derek and the Dominos was Eric Clapton's group when Layla was recorded -- somehow I think you think Layla is an acoustical tune :)

But regardness of how old Cindy is making me feel, I am so happy that your Layla is home -- where she belongs -- and sure hope the water therapy is just the trick -- though I expect being home is the best therapy she can have.

and congrats on the straight A's -- especially impressive with all that has been going on in your life...

This thread has made me laugh, made me cry, and made me happy to hear Layla and you are doing better. She is one lucky pup to have you as her mama!

I wish you both the very best,

Rob

Umm Laura, who are --shoot I forget the first part--someone and the Dominoes with the song Layla. Did they do Layla before Eric Clapton??

Thank you Cindy! I was wondering myself but didn't want to ask..^_^ I was wondering why I always heard both Eric Clapton and Derek and the Dominos but figured Eric Clapton had done a remake...LOL

This thread has made me laugh, made me cry, and made me happy to hear Layla and you are doing better. She is one lucky pup to have you as her mama!

I wish you both the very best,

Rob

Thank you for your best wishes. Layla gives you :hugs: Just between you and me, Layla is a little charmer...she's just wooed you :) She seems to have that affect on everyone. Whenever we would go for walks before, EVERYONE that passed her had to say hi to her. I even had a guy in the neighborhood offer to sit for her if I ever needed it, the FIRST time he met her!!! :wub: Your stuck now...

:)

Okay, so Im only taking Math and Comp. but hey, its a start. Next semester is three and by next fall Im full time! Woo-hoo!!

Thanx everyone for you good lucks. It must have worked. The new doctor, the one I had a funny feeling about, well he won us over. Layla instantly liked him. She was all charm :) He measured all her muscles, watched her walk, checked her over, and he really thinks FCE. Says he sees it a lot. He is one of two K-9 Rehabs in the area so I imagine he does. (Later my parents tell me they were confused..this is the vet who FIXED their dogs leg, not the one who screwed it up :rolleyes: ) So, he says that she definitly needs some underwater treadmill and some laser therapy. They also do some work with them on the floor too. He says its best to drop them off in the am and pick them up in the afternoon. That way if the dog is tired or resistant, they dont force them and can try later. Also, that way if they can, they do two sessions. He explained the FCE a bit more, and said the spinal cord doesnt actually die so much as it just quits working. Depends on the damage. Thinks the FCE was between the L3 - L5 and pointed out her back bones. Said it is like that b/c of the muscle loss, not the weight. She is carrying 90% of her weight in the front and about 8% in the right leg and about 2% - 0% in the back left. Gave her a new food, the second in a month! and says it has antioxidents in it that will help get rid of (totally cant remember the name..R something) these bubbles that build up in the body when an injury occurs. And it has less fillers and more vitamins. And put her on some good fish oil, not the kind with mercury in it and all that other stuff.

His prognosis is that she will have a 100% recovery on the right side and possibly 100% on the left, but it may not be perfect either. But he has high hopes for her. The fact that she has come this far in such a shot time by herself is GREAT!

However, she needs to go twice a week and it cost $102 a session. The good part about this is that he thinks she will only need 4 - 6 weeks of it!!! Yay!!!!! Oh happy days! Oh happy days! He was such a GREAT doctor! He also asked all about IMOM, thinks it is fabulous and loved the story about Magic...he would LOVE to work with IMOM.!!! :waycool:

:roll::roll:

Yea! I am SO THRILLED that all went well today and that Layla is going to start on her therapy...

Also, kudos to the new vet...he sounds great...and the fact that he will work with IMOM is wonderful too...

Now, we need to get those funds in for Layla...she needs to start working on getting herself back to normal...

This sounds as if it's going to work out just GREAT!!

How much are we going to have to raise?? I remember you had some funds but I think you used some of that for the consult...let us know what you have and then we can figure out what you need...

It sounds as if this is going to be very doable... :hugs: to you both...Judy

Whoo hoo!!!! That's great news! :happydance: I hope Layla does well on the therapy. And I'm glad you've found such a good vet that thinks IMOM is fabulous. Yeah, we think so, too :)B)

Tracy :heart::stripekitty:

Judy - It could be VERY doable! I currently have $300 left..I did have to use $100 for the consultation so that is why Im down to $300. Layla has $170 from fundraising. So that is basically 5 sessions, she will need 12 total , more than likely, if she goes the full 6 weeks. Of course, its possible she may only need 4 weeks of therapy too so...? I guess we need to raise $700 - high end. I will know at the four week mark whether or not she will need more and how many she will need.

I read on someones thread (I forget who's..My apologies) that they did a candy sale??? And they seemed to raise a bit of money from that...any ideas how to organize that?? Or any other ideas??? Im so limited on time so...I was thinking of maybe a car wash...grab my brother and a few of his friends (if they will do it) and maybe some of my friends one Sunday and start washing some cars for $5/ea....

Whoo hoo!!!! That's great news! :happydance: I hope Layla does well on the therapy. And I'm glad you've found such a good vet that thinks IMOM is fabulous. Yeah, we think so, too :)B)

Tracy

IMOM is FABULOUS!!! :heart: ImOm RoCkS! :heart: I could have never made it without all of you.

Its still tough but its getting better every day. Its still really hard for me to see her so sad watching her sister run and play. She just sighs and starts whining and she stares out the window. She can go out with her but someone has to be there with her so she doesnt try and take off. She sometimes pees in her sleep too..I guess because she couldnt hold it for so long...she had an accident in my car too the first morning...and it wasnt very nice... ;)

Im going to email Amy and then email all my friends and try to coordinate something for Layla...I will update soon!

Thanx Everyone! Lets pray for some donations and hope that Layla can get her therapy soon!!! Im scheduling one for Monday and Thursday and will probably tell them to just keep them scheduled. Between IMOM and myself, she has about 5 sessions before the money is gone.

If anyone can, please help my Layla on the road to recovery. She has come so far and I would hate to see that progression stop due to lack of funds. She is a tough one and refuses to give up and so do I. Layla will make it, but we need your help!!

Thanx to all those who have donated :) Layla sends BIG doggie kisses!!!

Love Gabrielle, Layla and Nefertiti :):stripekitty::pp_animal_554:

THE HALF BREED

THE HALF BREED

They call me a Boxer,

But I'm a Half-Breed.

Part Boxer of course,

and part people indeed.

Anyone who owns me knows it's true.

We're so close to being people,

we're like part of you.

"She's one of the family,"

you've heard people say.

"Don't know how we'll manage when she passes away."

But they'll get another Boxer,

a pure bred at first.

Not the most well-behaved puppy,

but far from the worst.

Then the change will take place,

the same as before.

They'll end up with the same human HALF-BREED once more!

:butterfly::pp_animal_554::butterfly:

Not that this will ever happen to Layla...we promised eachother to live forever. :) But the poem is cute and I wanted to share!

Layla's Rules (The Boxer Breed Rules)

Boxer Property Laws

Author Unknown

If I like it, it's mine.

If it's in my mouth, it's mine.

If I can take it from you, it's mine.

If I had it a little while ago, it's mine.

If it's mine, it must never

appear to be yours in any way.

If I'm chewing something up,

all the pieces are mine.

If it just looks like mine, it's mine.

If I saw it first, it's mine.

If you are playing with something

and you put it down, it automatically

becomes mine.

If it's broken, it's yours.

LOL

Layla's Rules (The Boxer Breed Rules)

Boxer Property Laws

Author Unknown

If I like it, it's mine.

If it's in my mouth, it's mine.

If I can take it from you, it's mine.

If I had it a little while ago, it's mine.

If it's mine, it must never

appear to be yours in any way.

If I'm chewing something up,

all the pieces are mine.

If it just looks like mine, it's mine.

If I saw it first, it's mine.

If you are playing with something

and you put it down, it automatically

becomes mine.

If it's broken, it's yours.

LOL

LOL!!!!! :roll:

Those sound suspiciously like the Cat Rules :lol:

Tracy :stripekitty:

If I'm chewing something up, all the pieces are mine.

THAT is definitly Layla...if she is chewing something and its in thousands of lil pieces and you try and take it, she throws a paw over it. LOL And then you get the LOOK.

Im making Layla's first appointment today. Im hesistant to make it though since she needs to go twice a week and there are only enough funds fo her to go five times. She needs to go twice a week so that means that she has two solid weeks of therapy paid for and one other treatment. I hate to think that if I don't have the funds that her therapy will stop. Cuz it will and I don't want that. Layla has come so far!! So far...

Here is her progress. I never really talked about those days when this first happened and the really tough days that followed. I didn't want to jinx anything (I know I know, superstition!)

Layla went to my parents and went out to play. Shortly after she came back in, she was paralyzed from the waist down. I left work to take her to the vets. It didn't look good. She was immediatly rushed in and after the LOOONG wait, I was pulled into a waiting room. I was told, we don't know exactly, we need to do some x-rays, some blood work, etc. I had to go over and over all the things that she had been doing prior as well as any behavioral changes that may have occured recently. Had she eaten anything new? Do the neighbors put out poison? They were really thinking she may have eaten something due to the quickness of the paralysis. However, that was ruled out the first day. Then they started going down the list. She could have this (I forget what it is acalled, its when the front half of the body is stiff and the back half is unusable), back injury or cancer. No one really thought FCE. In fact, I dont think it was mentioned. So, they loaded her up with steriods, 500mg and then lowered it to 300, then 250. She was put on valium and she was on morphine. She was panting and we all thought it might be from anxiety and pain. It was really looking like cancer or back injury. I was talked to about my options and the financial means that it would require. I was told that I needed to spend as much time as possible with her just in case. Well, for that day and the next, I spent as much time as possible with her. I was given whatever I wanted just in case. When I got a room, they would have to carry her in to me and lay her on the floor. She was hooked up to a catheder. They discovered the second day that Layla wouldn't pee. When she finally tried, they x-rayed her and discovered she wasn't emptying her bladder, that she couldn't feel it was full. Not a good sign. She also hadn't eaten in two days and that wasnt good either. She was backing up too. Then she started peeing blood. Well, they tested it and it was actually her bladder being stretched and not functioning and it was bleeding. She also was peeing out the breakdown of her muscle since she wouldn't relax. Not looking good at all I was told. It was the muscle in her front, the part she could use, that she was breaking down. After multiple x-rays, osteosarcoma was ruled out. But still not much of an idea. At this point, I was a wreck. I hadnt slept or eaten in two days. And everytime I visited Layla, she would whine and bang herself around the kennel...broke my heart to see her like that. She hated it when I left. She also quit drinking and I had to syringe her some water...This is when the doctor suggested it might be some neurological thing wrong with her, and suggested the neurologist. She made an appt. for us and we went two days later.

Okay - I was having trouble with my internet and accidently posted twice and then deleted one only to find out the first post was incomplete! So here is the missing part.

We arrived at the neurologist and she was immediatly carried into the back. I was put in a room and the girls kept checking on me since I was hysterical. When Dr. Kimura was done with his exam, he came in and told me that it was possibly a back injury or cancer, maybe FCE. FCE? Whats that I asked? He went over it in detail and explained that it was just a possibility. He said she needs and MRI, maybe some tests for cancer, although if they came back negative, that wouldnt mean she didnt have it. Was looking kinda bleak for her at this point. I was so overwhelmed and scared to make a desision so I had my vet tech friend come back with my that nite. We picked up Layla and the dr. gave her a week. If no improvement, maybe then it would be time for Layla to go to the Bridge.(although he didnt say it as nicely..he used the E word) I was taught how to express her bladder and then took her home. She needed to be flipped every few hours and she needed to be expressed every hour we soon found out. We started feeding her chicken and white rice and that comes out pretty badly, in case you are wondering. ;) She was having a lot of blood in her urine and her BM at this time. She was so full of anxiety and she couldnt sit still. I called the vet and got some valuim for her just so she could sleep for about an hour solid. At this point, I was sick as could be. I had to take off the next day (fri). Between no sleep and not eating and stress, I was still trying to get over strep and laringitis and bronchitis. I took Fri off and we spent the day together. We made it through (barely) to Sun. Sunday nite we were sitting on the floor together and I was just staring at her and her left eye started twitching and you could see it pull back and then roll into the back of her head. I immediatly thought seizure (she has one every now and again in her sleep) and rushed her to the vet. She wasn't looking to good and I was starting to think I might lose her. I really thought something in her head was wired wrong and I couldnt afford that. But we hung in there. The first week the doc put her on some stuff to help with the diarrhea and gave her some antibiotics. Then they found the coccidia and put her on meds for that too. The first week was pretty uneventful Just keeping an eye on her really. The second week is when she started to use her back R leg. Then the last week she was there she started using her back L leg. She wont use it that much still but its better than before. I was able to visit her the second week she was there. So I spent as much time as possible with her and then I got the OK for NO MRI! Yay...and that is where we are today. :) With the new update from the new vet of course :)

I so want to see her chase her her beloved ducks again or be able to eat a whole meal without getting so tired she needs help to stand. I want her to be able to jump up in the bed so we can cuddle. And of course, get woken up halfway thru the night by certain kitty who shall remain nameless.

Edited by LaylaAnn05

Gabrielle, I'm so glad you wrote about what had transpired before you got to IMOM because it's important for donors to see how much you and Layla have been through. I'm having an anxiety attack just reading about it..... :ohmy:

Thank God you and the vets didn't give up on her because she is going to come back from this!

If I'm chewing something up, all the pieces are mine.

THAT is definitly Layla...if she is chewing something and its in thousands of lil pieces and you try and take it, she throws a paw over it. LOL And then you get the LOOK.

By the way, this cracked me up!

Im making Layla's first appointment today. Im hesistant to make it though since she needs to go twice a week and there are only enough funds fo her to go five times. She needs to go twice a week so that means that she has two solid weeks of therapy paid for and one other treatment. I hate to think that if I don't have the funds that her therapy will stop. Cuz it will and I don't want that. Layla has come so far!! So far...

It's wonderful that the doctors know what it wrong with Layla and that there is therapy that will help your precious puppy get back to her normal life (and what a very nice life it is in such a loving home :) )

It would be helpful if you posted the money that is still needed -- I know you have said all this in your posting, but you may want to just make sure that everyone knows how many treatments, that five are funded, and how much is needed now for Layla to be fully funded.

You and Layla have been through so much - I'm hoping now that what Layla needs is clear, that there are some folks out there would like to help get that therapy!

Oh my goodness, Gabrielle, you and Layla sure have been through the wringer :sad: I'm so glad that her outlook has improved so much since those awful first days. I'm keeping your girl in my thoughts :heart:

And of course, get woken up halfway thru the night by certain kitty who shall remain nameless. ;)
Yeah, but I know who ;):lol::roll:

Thinking good positive thoughts for Layla :luck::banana:

Tracy :heart:

It would be helpful if you posted the money that is still needed -- I know you have said all this in your posting, but you may want to just make sure that everyone knows how many treatments, that five are funded, and how much is needed now for Layla to be fully funded.

I guess it would be a lot clearer if I just kinda lay it all out there...Thanx Kay :)

Okay everyone! This is the update:

Layla needs two treatments a week at $101.15 each for a total of $202.30/week.

There is currently $170 in her IMOM fund and I have $300.

She needs 4 - 6 weeks of therapy which runs $809.20 for 4 weeks, $1213.80 for 6 weeks.

So Layla needs $439.20 - $743.80.

Im open for any suggestions :) Anything in the world for my Layla. :)

Let's help my baby girl have a second chance. She needs this therapy to help her regain muscle mass that has been lost, and to help straighten her out. Right now when she walks, she is crooked and she falls A LOT! She so desperatly wants to play :) She is too active to be sitting around. She isnt going to give up and neither will I.

Gabrielle, GREAT JOB informing folks what needs to be raised for Layla...

IMOM angels...Gabrielle has done a TREMENDOUS JOB with raising funds to start treatment. She not only raised $400.00 on her own but she works, goes to school and visited Layla every day when she was at the vet clinic, has since gotten her back home and ready for physical therapy...

Let's help this little girl play again...

Her Mom has worked her butt off...she's applied to many organizations already with no luck...IMOM has been her support system...let's keep it up and help her get Layla her therapy...

You give that sweet, sweet girl a hug from me...Judy

Gabrielle, you mentioned a possible car wash...get your brother to get his friends to help you...how about a grage/yard sale? I don't know how the candy bar sales go, but perhaps someone else will post about that...There have been drink nights at the local pubs but we want everyone to be responsible when alcohol is involved...

Edited by Judy

LOL!!!!! :roll:

Those sound suspiciously like the Cat Rules :lol:

Tracy :stripekitty:

LOL - How right you are!!! Dear sweet Nefertiti is the lil booger that probably inspired this poem. If she is playing, and you try and take it, her two lil paws come at you four different ways!! Man is she quick!!!

My fav is the if its yours, its mine...Aint that the truth??? Lucky lil' devils... [attachmentid=533]

Kim - Everytime I read that same one, I crack up. I will send a pic of her doing that so you can see the LOOK! LOL

Judy - I will make sure to give Layla your hug :) She loves 'em!!! ;)

As far as the garage sale...I live in this ITTY BITTY apartment and I dont have anything anymore but my parents and the neighborhood just did one of those community ones so....

LOL - I meant candy sales...no bars!! :)

Thanks for all the good lucks and warm wishes ~ Im so glad I found IMOM. [attachmentid=535]

Layla has come along way...Sorry about the anxiety attack Kim! But it was tough, we went through so much and typing it felt like re-living it. I dont ever want to go thru that again. I mean there was a point in that period that I did say my goodbyes...but thankfully she did pull through...Shes tough...and she is too full of love to leave this earth. It just wasnt her time....Besides, she promised to be with me forever :) And Im holding her to it! I love my sweet [attachmentid=537]

[attachmentid=536]

post-382-1160176084.gif

post-382-1160176738.gif

post-382-1160177732.gif

post-382-1160178038.gif

Sign in to follow this