Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Amy IMOM

Layla Poinelli

379 posts in this topic

Hi Gabrielle,

I'm so glad to hear that Layla will not have to have surgery!!! :banana::claphands::happydance: That is wonderful news! If she can recover with the physical therapy, that would be grrrrreat!!! :) I'm so happy for you both.

What a nice thing you did for that lady and her lab. Not only did you give her excellent ideas about how to deal with the cost of the treatment her pup is facing, you also gave her much needed support and confidence that things can get better. :bravo:

Still thinking good thoughts for Layla. Hoping that physical therapy will be just the ticket to a happier, healthier Layla :brownpup:

Tracy :heart::kittydrinking:

:pp_animal_554: Sooo...I called the vet hospital this am and I had the wrong one!!! They kindly pointed me in the right direction but they vet that does the therapy is the same vet my parents had a problem with. See, my parents owned this dog JD about 8 - 10 years ago and he broke his leg when he was a baby. So they went to this hospital and to make a loooong story short, the dr (yep - he is there still!) had to set the pins twice due to his error and the dog spent 8 months in a cast..instead of 8 weeks. My parents went rounds with him....BUT, that was one time and ten years ago..Im taking Layla there to see how she feels about him and to see how I feel about him.

It's $75 for a consultation and then depending on what therapy she needs, $60 - $120 for each session. She will mostly need water therapy which is 5 fifteen minute sessions for $120 (approx.) They reccomend 6 sessions before another consultation to see if therapy can be continued at home. I am making an appointment for next Thursday at 5pm. That is the earliest I can get in. So, now the waiting game again. I'm trying to talk my parents into letting me put a small inflatable pool in their back yard for Layla, see if that will help.

Last nite we spent some time together : ) How I hate leaving her but I know she comes home in a few days..I cannot wait! They don't want to give her back :wub: They love her...they were all cheering her on the other day when she was walking. It was such an awesome sight to see her walk. She high steps and is very clumsy, kinda like a new born fawn : ) But I don't care. I'll take her anyway I can have her. She was sooo sleepy yesterday after all that running around. Its really hard to comprehend sometimes how she gets so tired when she was nonstop before. But she was exhausted. She is up to 35 lbs right now..yay! :aktion033: I just cannot wait to have my angel face home again : )

:pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint:

You know, yesterday I was looking at Layla and I realized that I never look at her and think, thats my dog. Its always, thats my Layla...I seem to forget that she is a dog : ) I just get so wrapped up in the love I feel for her...that is all I see....just love. I sometimes have to stop and remind myself that she is a dog...cuz I never look at her like that. My sweet Angel Face : )

I will try and post a cute story later...right now its off to work I go... :angry:

Edited by LaylaAnn05

You know, yesterday I was looking at Layla and I realized that I never look at her and think, thats my dog. Its always, thats my Layla...I seem to forget that she is a dog : ) I just get so wrapped up in the love I feel for her...that is all I see....just love. I sometimes have to stop and remind myself that she is a dog...cuz I never look at her like that. My sweet Angel Face : )

Gabrielle, what you said here really struck a chord. This past week I've had to go thru hoops to get permission to work from home so I can be with Teddie and, although my office has been pretty nice about it, it gets trivialized as "her cat is sick." Geezzzzzzzz, it goes so much deeper than that. Yesterday someone passed me in the hall and again trying to be nice said, "Hope your cat's better." It's Teddie, it's not "a cat." Ya know? I told my boss that Teddie is family to me and if people don't understand that, tough sh*t!

Hugs to Layla. We joke about putting one paw in front of the other, but in her case that's a sincere wish. Keep walking, baby girl!

Gabrielle,

So excited sitting here and reading your last post.

She "walking" that's the key.

I always refer to "Jade" as my second daughter. Sometimes I slip and call her by my daughter's name. Oops! My daughter is honored. Says she doesn't mind at all. Jade's her sister, moms now and then always bungle the names of their kids.

Water therapy...Go Layla!

It's nice to know she gets what she's earned, love from everyone. We, too, have fallen in love with her too.

"Jade's Mom" :eight:

A Layla Story

Layla and I were taking a walk a few years back. I was living at my parents between apartments/houses. We walked down to the park, her dodging every single gutter she saw (she is scared of them) and made it back to my parents house. We were walking up to the front door, cutting through the grass as we did so, when I slipped on the wet (its always wet in Florida!) roots of the Jacaranda tree (from the hurricane winds - its lifting the tree!) and fell. Well this scared the living you know what out of Layla and she took off! She pulled the leash out of my hand and ran! When I stood up, I started looking for her. I found her pretty quickly. Little miss Layla decided that she was going to hide behind the car and poke her adorable face out to see if Mommy had scared away whatever it was that made her fall!!! Some watch guard aye??? She would not come out from behind the car until I walked to the front door and opened it. Only then did she dart as quick as a greyhound through it and to the comforts of my dad. (He baby's her too!!! She loves him...if I tell her no, she goes to grandpa and gives him the LooK!!) (yes he caves in!) :P

I LOVE the connection you have with Layla!!

Our animals are our family...we treat them as our children...our whole world revolves around them...

I see this with you and Layla...That's what having an animal is all about...unfortunately there are some people that can't make sense of that.

I know that I am a bit overboard but all of our animals have been rescues...where would they be with us??

You just ENJOY Layla as much as you can...

I am SO THRILLED that she is walking...The water therapy is going to really be good for her.

Did you write to your caseworker with the new estimate for the therapy??

I can't wait until she can start...

Just think...she'll be home on Saturday!! YEA :banana: ...Judy

Kim - I keep forgetting to tell you that my old kitty Jynx looks EXACTLY like Teddie...EXACTLY!!!! When I first saw the thread and the pics I couldn't believe it!!!

Its really unfortunate that your work is making you feel like that. Some people just don't understand...these are not family pets, they are family members. I don't have any kids but I cannot imagine loving them any more than I do Layla..she is my life and my heart. Tell you job if they don't be nice about it, Teddie is gonna bring them a spoiled banana..and hide it so they can NEVER find it but they can smell it :P That will show them : ) My part time job gets like that too...the manager actually had the nerve to ask me "Well, wouldnt it be cheaper to put Layla down and just buy another dog???" Wow! Imagine what I said (I cannot repeat it here..it would look like this....%^&$^#(#)($##@^$*$^#$%#^~!!!!!)

Francine - You can imagine how happy I am, Im sure!! Ive been doing the happy dance all day!! Since yesterday! I actually switched vets from the one in St. Pete (ONLY for the therapy...it gets confusing...she has one vet, one neurologist and a PT AND maybe another PT!!! Sheesh!!!) to the one she was going to in Tampa. She knows them and they know her. She goes in Sat. for her first visit and she may be getting acupuncture. Depends what the PT says..but it will cost $102...for the consultation and the acupuncture. Nowhere near what I thought it was going to cost. I pick Layla up at 1 on Sat and she is mine again forever!!!!! You better believe that there is nothing that will seperate us again. NOTHING! : ) I just cannot wait. The vet in Tampa doesnt do the water therapy but my moms friend says I can use her pool and if that doesnt work, I may just get one of those inflatable ones to keep at my parents. Or go thru the vet in St. Pete. See what the PT says first. : ) Yep, I already told Amy. She says to get an estimate and then fax it over. I should be able to pay for the visit but if not I do have the $400 I fundraised for her. So, either way it will be affordable. I cannot wait to see what the PT says!!!!! Layla sends you BIG hugs for being as sweet as you are : ) You should see her when I talk about all of you guys on IMOM. She is getting familiar with the names and has started turning her head sideways when I mention your name and Judy's name : ) I am going to try and get a pic of her tonite standing. : ) Then you can REALLY see all the progress she has made.

Tracy : ) We are hoping for the best with the therapy. The vet is really impressed with her improvement.NO SURGERY!!!!! NO SURGERY!!!!!!

Layla is not only getting better but she is doing so way quicker than MOST noted cases. Most of the stories I have read dont even compare to Layla's progress...it must be all of you at IMOM...Angels : ) With your never ending support and love. Thank you : )

Cindy - : ) You were right ... Layla's light is bright!!! Your words will forever stay with me...this is Layla's light after the dark...thank you ...:happydance:

Judy - You are not overboard. Your right. I often wonder what would have been had I not rescued Layla or Jynx or Nefertiti...what would have happened to them???

I have been reading thru everyones threads (slowly but surely) and the connection I feel with everyone at IMOM is soo strong. We all really and truly love our babies. No one here considers them to be dogs or cats (or birds, rabbits...ect.)..they truly love them as children..family members. It's nice to find people that believe that...its so hard trying to explain to people how much love is reserved for our babies. Some of my friends give me the weirdest looks...some have told me to give her up...she is killing my bank account...but you know what? I don't care...I'll spend as much as I have to to have Layla back and in my arms... : )

I cant wait to see her walking again like she used to...even if she does look like a baby fowl : )

Off to class I go...I just wanted to post an update since things had kinda changed...

:pp_animal_554: Layla loves you all!!!!

P.S. Layla LOVES :banana: 's!!!!

Kim - I keep forgetting to tell you that my old kitty Jynx looks EXACTLY like Teddie...EXACTLY!!!! When I first saw the thread and the pics I couldn't believe it!!!

Its really unfortunate that your work is making you feel like that. Some people just don't understand...these are not family pets, they are family members. I don't have any kids but I cannot imagine loving them any more than I do Layla..she is my life and my heart. Tell you job if they don't be nice about it, Teddie is gonna bring them a spoiled banana..and hide it so they can NEVER find it but they can smell it :P That will show them : ) My part time job gets like that too...the manager actually had the nerve to ask me "Well, wouldnt it be cheaper to put Layla down and just buy another dog???" Wow! Imagine what I said (I cannot repeat it here..it would look like this....%^&$^#(#)($##@^$*$^#$%#^~!!!!!)

Wow, so I guess Jynx must have been a perfect puss too. :stripekitty:

I don't have kids either, Gabrielle, and I said to my boss, "My cats are my kids. I hope that analogy doesn't offend any of you who have kids." He tried to empathize by telling me how broken up his wife was when their cat died a few yrs ago. But then he said that once you have kids, you know the difference between children and pets. Hmmmmm, that's not what my friends with both would say. He doesn't get it. Rotten banana in the radiator it is! :biggrin:

At least no one has been foolish enough to say to me, "Why are you spending all that money on a cat?" or "She's lived a long life - why don't you just put her down?" Because then I'd have to put my fist down their throat!! I'm sorry that you have gotten such callous remarks about Layla. :angry2: Now you can tell all those a**wipes that they were wrong!!

Love the Layla Stories. :)

Kim, have I ever mentioned to you that you are so subtle...

I laughed out loud about your comment "Well, I'd just have to put my fist down their throat!"...that was too GREAT! It deserves a :banana: ...

Dale and I don't have kids either but I do know that our animals would be at the top of the list...or, at least equal with children...

I can't wait to see the photo of Layla standing...it's going to be something we've all been waiting for...

Gabrielle, if you have time and feel like reading alot...our beloved Kayla has a thread at Rainbow Bridge...she had many friends here at IMOM and without their support I don't know how Dale and I would have handled her situation...

BUT, on the bright side...Layla is doing SO WELL...keep up the good work...

I'm SO HAPPY for you both... :hugs: Judy

Kim, have I ever mentioned to you that you are so subtle...

I laughed out loud about your comment "Well, I'd just have to put my fist down their throat!"...that was too GREAT! It deserves a :banana: ...

Judy, you know how we mothers are about our children. ;)

For 8 years I've been reading posts written by people who love their animals. The bond between you and Layla is so obvious. I always feel so sorry for people who have never shared such a bond with an animal. You and Layla share a soul. That's a wonderful gift for both of you.

I am so excited about her home-coming! :pp_animal_554:

Me too Jacki! I am absolutely ESTATIC about Layla coming home. It kills me to leave her at the vets every nite...she always looks sooo sad...and she whines : ( One more night! I feel like a kid going to Disney for the first time. I can't sleep cuz Im giddy!!!! This is how I felt when I was waiting to bring her home for the first time... : ) We definitly share a soul....we are lost without the other...I depend on her as much as she depends on me...and most people dont understand that. They look at her and see a dog...I look at her and I see the love we share, the struggles we have gone through, comforting her when she is scared and her comforting me when I am upset...I look at her and I see a love that is unconditional and never ending ... as I always joke and say...We've bonded. :pp_animal_554: Thank you for your kind words :)

"Well, I'd just have to put my fist down their throat!"... I wanted to Kim and had I not NEEDED that job to pay for Layla, I probably would have. :bitchslap2: But, I just bit my tongue and pointed out to him the same thing you said...I asked him if he would do that to his own child and he said no...well guess what buddy??....She is my child. PERIOD. End of discussion.

Layla is already proving to them that they are a bunch of a**wipes ( as you would call them Kim!! LOL ) I can't wait for the day to come when I can walk her by their cars and let her :dog: on them!! Ha ha! :) Between Teddie's rotten bananas and Layla's puddles, that'll show em :P

Judy - I've been trying to read about Kayla all afternoon..how sweet of a name! Kayla Sue...thats like Layla Ann : ) You know how much you love your furkid when you give them a middle name!!! My heart goes out to you and your husband. How horrible of me to be rattling on and on about Layla when you are going through all this. I didn't realise that it was your one year anniv. last week. Please accept my condolences. :heart: How sweet your Kayla Sue was...I haven't read it all since I'm at work but I read it piece by piece...and I love the memorial box you have...how sweet of an idea.

I forgot my camera last nite but I will try and get one of her standing tonite...how suprised you will all be to see that pic!!!!

Back to work I go, I still have another hour here and four more at the other job! Im exhausted...wish us luck for tomorrow with the PT!!!

Love Layla and Gabrielle

P.S. Kim - Mr. Jynx is a perfect kitty....he is with my best friend...she was lonely and I couldn't have another cat at the apt. Im at...so she offered to sit for him til my lease ran out....and they fell in love. I can't take him away from her....they are the cutest!!!! If you pet him, he drools and props himself in your lap and if you try to move, he bites!! He is such a lover its unreal! He gives kisses too....He grew up with Layla tho and that is why he plays soooooo rough! : ) He is awesome! I miss him....but I see him all the time : ) He even knows what ready for bed? means!!!

Gabrielle, I am going to be busy all day tomorrow so I wanted to make sure that I sent you a happy :banana: for tomorrow!!

I am SO HAPPY that Layla Ann will be coming home...What do you have to do for her?

I guess I didn't know that you were in Tampa...I have friends that live there and I know that they took their dogs in for acupuncture...they felt it helped their issues.

Kayla Sue was a very special girl...Dale and I were given such support from my IMOM friends. We don't know what we would have done without them...Unfortunately all the money in the world would not have helped Kayla...

BUT, that's a different story for sweet Layla Ann...I want to hear all about Layla's homecoming...It's going to be GREAT...spend alot of time snuggling and cuddling tomorrow...Again, I am SO THRILLED for you both!! Judy

Ahh...I see this is going to be another banana thread...thanx Kim!! LOL Just kidding :) I LOVE IT!!!

I actually don't live in Tampa, just outside of it in St. Pete but its really close. Ever heard of FVS? That is where Layla is going to go..this ritzy schmitzy place but everyone is super nice and Layla is getting to know and love them all :) I tell you, this whole ordeal has done wonders for Layla Ann's anxiety problem...its practically non-existant!!! She used to freak at the vets, not anymore!

Last nite I was visiting with her and I was walking her around in the front so she could say hello to everyone and you know what that lil booger did??? She actually pulled ME to the front door! She is ready to go home : ) Oh I cannot wait! I absolutely cannot wait!

More tomorrow....tonite Im going to say a prayer for you and Dale Judy and for Kayla Sue.. :)

:banana::banana::banana: 's!

Layla is such a pretty girl and I am so happy to see how things are turning out for her! Gabrielle, I haven't posted here yet (been a little swamped myself), but have been checking on you and Layla frequently.

When you first applied at IMOM (I'm on the EF committee, so I see all the applications) I was so surprised and happy (it gave me such a warm, familiar feeling) to see a boxer named Layla. Are you a fan of Derrick and the Dominoes? As a teenager (many moons ago) Layla was my most favorite album...I just loved that song and if I had ever had a daughter I was going to name her Layla.

The name never quite suited any of my furkids, but it most definitely fits your girl :heart: I am so happy she is coming home tomorrow, and hope that her PT goes well. Please give Layla (still love that name after all these years :) ) a big hug from me and my 7 bratz...and one little foster kitten.

Laura

Gabrielle, I'm checking to make sure that you and Layla are at home and enjoying each other...

What a day for your both...Layla home again and you being a happy Mom to her baby...

Hugs to you both, Judy

Edited by Judy

Laura - I actually only know the song Layla and yes, we both love LOVE the song! Everytime I put it on, Layla always turns her head sideways during the chorus : ) Its her theme song I always joke :) I had thought about naming my child (if I ever have any) Layla but I cant imagine growing up named after a dog :) And the name fits her too, I cant imagine her being named anything else besides Layla. My dad always calls her Layla Ann in the same tone they use on Poltergeist. (Remember how the woman says Carol Ann? Picture a man from NJ saying Layla Ann to that tune! It cracks me up everytime!!) Please give your wonderful bratz a hug from Layla and I and of course the lil foster kitty : ) :ten:

I picked up Layla today from the vet and she is mine to keep! We have spent all day together and I wont keep the suspense any longer...here is what the PT had to say...

Due to the amount of progession and neurological function going to Laylas legs, she is not an ideal candidate for acupuncture....yet...it we hit a plateu, then it may be an option. BUT Layla is doing soooo well that the acupuncture really isnt necessary. :aktion033: The PT said she usually does it on dogs that have no function on their back legs, to help stimulate the nerves. Layla has a bit of function so...no acupuncture. Instead she strongly reccommended the water treadmill due to the resistance it will offer. Its better than just a pool so I have an appt. (again!) with them for Thursday for a consultation and to get a written schedule with them. The PT reccommended the water treadmill twice a week so she would have to go 8 times. They have a package deal for 5 sessions for $120. So...I will not have an answer on that or the estimate until Thursday. I will definitly post that when I find out!

How fantastically awesome it has been all day to look over and see her cute little face staring back at me. :heart: She got to have a lil family reunion today too and now she is just POOPED! She is sleeping with her head under the end table right now...just passed out. She got a massage today and she got to see her sister and spend the day with mom...she is exhausted.!!! So is her mom :) I cant stop hugging and kissing her..everytime she moves or looks at me I just get the urge to go hug her...:heart:

You should have seen everyone in the vets saying their goodbye's to her...they didnt want her to leave. They told me she was an inspiration and they were all so happy to see her improvement. She WALKED all by herself out of the hospital! I wanted to just cry tears of happiness! I couldnt contain my excitement :) Oh I could just go on and on and on about how happy I am and how happy Layla is...her eyes are sparkling once again and she is smiling! :heart: She is just so happy to be home.

More later...I thank you all for listening to me babble on and on...Layla is just my heart and my life and I cant even begin to express my gratitude to IMOM and all the IMOMers!

:heart::pp_animal_554::heart:

Gabrielle, you just babble all ou want...Layla is home!! :banana: ...need I say more!!

I hope you two had a GREAT day today, just enjoying yourselves...keep looking...YES, Layla is home again...

I can't wait to have her start her water therapy...that is so good for her...won't be hard on her and I know she's going to just love it...

GREAT BIG HUGS to you both, Judy

I actually only know the song Layla and yes, we both love LOVE the song! Everytime I put it on, Layla always turns her head sideways during the chorus : )

Layla, you've got me on my knees.

Layla, I'm begging, darling please.

Layla, darling won't you ease my worried mind.

I would say that Layla is easing your worried mind. :) We're very happy to hear that she's home and continuing to improvie!!! :cool026:

Hi Gabrielle,

I am so happy for you that Layla is home!!! :banana::happydance: I am sure you missed her terribly. Your love for her shines thru in every post :heart:

I'm sorry that the people at your work are not more understanding. At least you can always come here and be in the company of people who understand, and feel exactly like you do about their furry kids.

Best of luck to Layla with the PT!!! :luck:

:hugs:

Tracy

Wow! What a weekend! Layla got her pool up :) I will take some pics of her swimming tomorrow...we have to let the water warm up...I let my neice and nephew go in it and they had blue lips! Thank goodness Florida is warm basically all year round... :)

So...Wed. is the new vet appointment...they had to reschedule...and Im thinking I may not need IMOM to help with that. :) Depends on how much they want her to go...I can afford the $120/mo but if they want two sessions a week then its going to be $240/mo and I cant afford that but...we shall see : )

Here are the pics!! One is her sleeping last nite after a loooong busy weekend and the other is a pic of her STANDING this morning!!!!

[attachmentid=454]

[attachmentid=455]

More later! Back to work I go!!! I will respond to everyones wonderful posts tonite (when Im in Comp class!! Sh!!! Dont tell :) ) :banana::banana:

Layla, you've got me on my knees.

Layla, I'm begging, darling please.

Layla, darling won't you ease my worried mind....

Now that song is stuck in my head!!!!!!! :)

post-382-1159802329_thumb.jpg

post-382-1159802355_thumb.jpg

For all the wonderful cat lovers...here is a pic of my other love, her name is Nefertiti and she is three years old...I found her on the side of the road, emaciated, cold and very dehydrated. I took her home, fed her and warmed her up. It had been so long since she had eaten that she kept getting sick, no matter how little I fed her.

Then we made a lil trip to the vets and she got checked. No health problems :) And we have been together three years almost. She was about 4 months when I found her....

[attachmentid=459]

Isnt she a doll???? I :heart: her too!

post-382-1159815190_thumb.jpg

Oh! Oh! Nefertiti is gorgeous!! What a doll she is. Beautiful, sweet kitty :wub::)

She's doing so well now compared to when you found her...no surprise, tho, with such a great Mom looking after her :)

Those pics of Layla are darling. I'm glad her pool is up. She should enjoy that.

LOL, you're not alone; that Layla song is stuck on my mind, too :lol:

:heart: Tracy

It is so good to know Layla is home and STANDING! She's got such a pretty face. Good luck with appt on Wed.

Nefertiti is gorgeous. There must be a story behind the name...

It is so good to know Layla is home and STANDING! She's got such a pretty face. Good luck with appt on Wed.

Nefertiti is gorgeous. There must be a story behind the name...

Thank you:) I hope all goes well on Wed. Im a bit nervous but Im trying not to be. Layla is definitly not nervous :) I will definitly update you Wednesday.

Ahh...Nefertiti...yes there is a story... When I first found her, she was a mess but she still had this beauty to her. She has GORGEOUS green eyes, the kind that you rarely see... and beneath the mess I saw beauty. She and I instantly clicked. I opened the car door to coax her away from the road..she ran (and I mean RAN) into my lap and instantly started purring. She just looked at me as though I was an angel, here to save her. :) Nefertiti means the beauty that has come...and it has :)

Also...(and Im quoting this)....During Akhenaten's reign (and perhaps after) Nefertiti enjoyed unprecedented power, and was perhaps the most powerful woman on earth. Some time during the reign she was made co-regent: the pharaoh's equal. She was depicted on temple walls the same size as the king, signifying her importance, and shown worshipping the Aten alone. Such depictions are reserved for the pharaoh alone, and yet Nefertiti was depicted as such.

And she is the Queen of the House. She will let you know what she wants and when she wants. :) She is a blabber mouth too...always meowing. And if you walk by her and dont pet her...she WILL swat at you...and then she lays upside down so you can pet her. If you don't, she gets confused almost. She will sit up and look around. She is very demanding when it comes to affection. I just adore her cute little face. She is a terror though, she is still a kitten ...in her terrible threes I call it!!! :lol:

Off to class, more later or tomorrow am..

Thank you all for your kind words. Nefertiti sends a meow and Layla sends hugs!

P.S. The toy she is laying next to is one of the ones I was telling you all about...I found her postal plaything but still no vet.... :(

Sign in to follow this