Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Amy IMOM

Layla Poinelli

379 posts in this topic

As Cindy pointed out, I have just returned from a wonderful weekend visiting friends, and enjoying Judy's very kind hospitality (and lots of good food). Normally, I would send some flowers or something to say thank you to Judy for being so nice and letting me stay in her home, but I know that a donation of Layla would mean a whole lot more to her. So my donation -- and a big thank you to Judy -- is on its way..

Hugs (very gentle ones) to your precious puppy.

Wow! So much going on in here...

Kay - A BIG BIG THANK YOU! That means the world to me and to Layla..when I go back to visit her tonite (and the vet) I will tell her...hope you don't mind sloppy doggie kisses. : ) Cuz she gonna give em to ya : )

Gina - You have taken nothing from Layla, only given. Your kind words and thoughts are what is helping us through this. I'm glad Daisy is at home and feeling better...any news on what was wrong with that lil' angel? Give her kisses and hugs from us : ) And a big thank you to both of you for having us in your thoughts.

Jean - Thank you as well!!! That is awesome news. The more people hear about her, the better! I truley appreciate it and I appreciate you taking time out of your schedule to help us. THANK YOU: )

Cindy - Thank you for all your kind words. Whenever I am feeling a little upset, I go back to your words and realize that finding IMOM and all of you, are the beginning of Layla's brighter days : )

Martha Jane - Thank you for the warm wishes, especially taking the time to post for Layla when you must be sooo busy with your baby too : )

Francine - Where is your thread at? I can't seem to find it....but Im going to look again...And I would LOVE to read about your baby...I have a kitty at home that is my heart as well...although Layla and I are much closer... : ) Thank you for everything...you have lifted my spirits with your kind words.

:hugs:

More in a few moments...dinner is ready and I need to eat : )

Gabrielle, I want you to know that I have sent in a donation for Layla also...Wasn't that just the sweetest thing of Kay? She knows me so well...flowers would have been beautiful but a donation to Layla meant so much more to me...

How is Layla doing? Is she able to stand any more?

She is such a doll...You are doing a GREAT JOB...be strong...Hugs, Judy

Ach! Gabriella, it's a huge thread!

Things are sounding better here, it feels like success is around the corner, the air is heavy with it. I'll keep checking in on Layla and you.

I'm "Jade's Mom." When I applied, the first email I received was re: Jade Silverman. When I first logged in (you have to consider that my brain was centered on Jade), well, I thought you had to follow the email subject, so I logged in as "Jade Silverman's Mom."

She's here under Happy Endings! It's a pretty heroic story, if I must say so myself. The odds were not in her favor. This is a warm, fuzzy place to be and, from my experience, Miracles do happen here!

Thank you IMOM for giving Jade a second chance (I cry as I write), I'm sitting here routing for Layla. I know you won't let her down!

Francine "Jade's Mom"

Edited by Jade Silverman's Mom

Okay...so here is how the visit went...

Last nite I went in and was all ready for my visit but there was an emergency and they needed the surgery room, which is where Layla is. So they told me to call back in about an hour but by then it was late and I fell asleep!!! So I got up this am and went first thing. Oh my! She is sooooo tiny....you can count every bone in her little body....she looks pitiful...like a rescue from a bad situation...

She must have known something cuz as soon as they opened the room, she was already going nuts..maybe she heard mom : ) She was wagging the nub!!! I was sooo happy to see that...she and I spent some time just cuddling...she was in my lap and she kept kissing and kissing me. I told her all about you guys here and she says thanx...she gives you all high fives!!! When it was time to take her back, she whined so bad...It broke my heart but I had to leave...but everyone went in to take care of her...I just miss her...i was in tears leaving her...they said her improvement is phenomenal compared to where she was originally...they said if worse comes to worse, she makes an excellent candidate for a cart...but I want her to run on all fours again...and chase her beloved ducks...

The vet tech was telling me how they all adore her!! She gets to spend time on a blanket in the reception area at night when its calm and they all ooh and ahh over her..everyone takes their breaks with her, taking her outside and walking her...she really does try to take off!!!

Im on my way in a few minutes to go back to visit so I will have more to tell about!

And possibly another story....stay tuned! : )

Gabrielle, there has been a funds update and Layla has $170.00 in her fund!! YEA!

I am so happy to read that Layla is coming along nicely at the clinic...I know that you miss her TERRIBLY and I know she misses you too...I can't imagine how hard it is for you to have to visit and then leave...hugs to you both...

IMOM angels, Gabrielle is really working hard to get an MRI for Layla...if you are just reading about her...poor little Layla had to spend her birthday at the vet clinic, away from her Mom...

Let's see if we can get a diagnosis for this little girl so she can get well again...Judy

GREAT NEWS-

I talked to Dr. Roth last nite (Layla's reg. vet) and he is pretty convinced that it it FCE that Layla has due to the enormous amount of progression. I'm going to schedule a visit with the neurologist and see what he says. The reg. vet thinks that the most beneficial thing would be therapy for her. I really need to talk to the neurologist though cuz I don't want to decide that ok, lets do therapy only to find out that she does indeed have a back injury. So, until I talk to him (later today) I guess that is all I can do on that part...but IMOM's, wouldnt that be fabulous if all she needed was therapy? I don't know how expensive that is or for how long...I have a lot of phone calling to do here this week I see... : )First things first, the neurologist.

Wow! I went back and say Layla last nite...she didn't want to eat and they had even mixed it with wet food....so we sat there for a good hour and just cuddled and looked at each other...I started feeding her piece by piece her food and she decided to eat....ALL of IT!!! I was sooo happy and the vet thinks with the coccidia gone she should be gaining some weight here soon : ) She looks like a grade 4 emaciated right now...poor baby...and someone lost her down comforter!!! I was not a happy camper and neither was she but it might be in the laundry...lets hope...she has elbow sores from sitting.. : ( But man, can she go! She drags the one foot though and its getting a sore too....maybe I can look into a doggie booty : ) BUT - guess what else?!?!?! Last nite when we were sitting with eachother, she was trying to pull that left leg up cuz it kept sliding back and looked quite uncomfortable. But I could feel the muscle a little bit...and the vet even mentioned it : ) Sooo....maybe she won't need the MRI after all...I dont know...I always get so scared when it comes to these things. I feel like I might be making the wrong decision...and all I want is whats best for Layla

On the other note...I went to pay my bill at the vets for the past two weeks....I was not paying $150/week...I paid $330 a week...her vet bill was $660!! I know she needed meds but currently she is just on some cream for her little sore areas and the pill for her coccidia. They couldnt board her at reg. price like they thought she could which cost $23/day...she needs a lot of attention and they are doing some therapy there too so it cost $35/day plus I have to pay for the food and what not...so it was a big suprise! But they will let me make payments...on top of the ones Im already making...I really love this place... :wub:

Judy - :thanks3: Layla says when this is all over and done, she wants to send you some flowers : ) I really appreciate it :) You have been so incredibly fantastic to us since we signed up...I bet this thread will really cheer you up : ) And fantastic news on the fund update : ) That is really fantastically awesome and I thank everyone : )

Layla is fighting for all of us...she wants to come home and run and play again : )

Francine - Sorry the threads are so long...my name isnt Gabby for nothing! ;) I try to paragraph them so you arent forced to read one giant blob of words : ) I hope it helps : ) I just cant help but babble about Layla..she is my life : ) :heart:

No, I said, "I'm long-winded too..."

I'm long-winded too. Most of Jade's thread is me writing, writing, and writing. It's a catharsis Gabrielle, it's very freeing, keep it up!

Don't by "sorry," Gabby! Your posts are important and the length is equally important. I was teasing. It was never meant to be serious. My posts on Jade's thread are each a chapter in a long, long, book. It's a good outlet for you and we always want to hear more. Don't stop!

It was nice that you visited Jade, thank you.

That's wonderful, Layla getting all that attention and love. She's a magnet. As to the cost of the RX and vet, none of us are happy!

I hope you get clear, precise information from the Neurologist today. Stand firm!

[attachmentid=324]

post-266-1159199929.gif

Francine - Im teasing too.... ^_^:P it was fantastic to read all about you and Jade...it really helped me and I remember starting it when I first joined IMOM...just with everything going on, I never finished it!!! But Im glad I got to read it today...how is your baby doing??? Everything still A-ok?? I remember when I was growing up, we adopted these two cats, black cats, from an elderly couple who couldn't afford them anymore. Those cats were the cutest couple....and they were so scared (scaredy cats!! ha ha!) that one hid and meowed for days on end and the other would not let go of her massive grip on the dining room table chair...so we named them Squeaker and Midnight....turns out the cats original name was velcro :rolleyes:

...so Im quite fond of black kitties : ) :four:

Layla used to have this best friend named Jynx...a homeless kitty my old roommate found in an alley....and I took him in...he was sooo tiny..he would sleep IN my hair...and on my face...: ) Every am when I woke, I would sit up and my head would weigh a few lbs. extra from him being in it!!! LOL

I remember once when we were living in that house on the lake, my roommate and I were sitting in the living room and Layla and Jynx used to LOVE to play with eachother...Jynx would lay on his back and she would nip at his...ummm...fixed parts....(sorry, that is as PC and I can get!) then jump back and repeat and he would swat at her...and then run...and then come back and repeat...it was the funniest thing I ever saw!! Well, then all of the sudden we see Layla being chased by Jynx (HUGE living room we had) and then out to the dining room...they came back only this time Layla was walking backwards and dragging poor Mr. Jynx!!! the whole time he was swatting at her and she just kept that grip on his tail and was pulling him everywhere! HE LOVED IT! They play this game all the time...well they did till I gave my friend Jynx... : )

I have an appointment on Wed. at 10 am for the neurologist...thank goodness I have $100 in the bank for the office visit..I planned for this one : ) I pray and hope that he thinks its just the FCE and Layla needs therapy...then I can find out the costs of that...I hope its not too expensive....although spending $300/wk at the vets cant possible be much more than the therapy...can it???? Oh I hope not...

It felt soooo good last nite to hold my Layla Ann in my arms...she just curled up in mom's lap and that was it...we must have sat like that for a good hour and a half total last nite...they said I could take her out and walk her but I wanted to hold her...she started dozing in my lap and was sooo sleepy, as was I, so I left around midnight...I wish I was there right now...

She does this funny little thing when she is fighting sleep off...she slowly lowers her head and bobs...and tries to fight it...its soo funny...she looks just like a child does when they are fighting sleep....I love watching her do that...

Love following this thread, Gabrielle.

Velcro! That's a kicker. A friend of mine from the distant past, adopted an abused black cat whom he named Sophia. Her original name was Black Head, now I ask you, is that abuse or is that abuse?[attachmentid=337]

I'll be thinking about Layla and you all day Wednesday, so please let us know as soon as you can. I hope it's therapy too. In fact, that's what I'll set firm in my thoughts and prayers. I love your love for Layla (Layla-Love)!

Be a strong and firm woman representative in that office Wednesday. Make sure everything is on Layla's side!

post-266-1159210687.gif

Great job posting! I wanted to let you know that Layla's PIN page is being sent out to some Boxer people, courtesy of the woman I was referring to, and who hopefully will be able to forward and contribute.

Edited by JeanKBBMMMAA

Love following this thread, Gabrielle.

Velcro! That's a kicker. A friend of mine from the distant past, adopted an abused black cat whom he named Sophia. Her original name was Black Head, now I ask you, is that abuse or is that abuse?[attachmentid=337]

I'll be thinking about Layla and you all day Wednesday, so please let us know as soon as you can. I hope it's therapy too. In fact, that's what I'll set firm in my thoughts and prayers. I love your love for Layla (Layla-Love)!

Be a strong and firm woman representative in that office Wednesday. Make sure everything is on Layla's side!

Black head? Poor baby....My uncle actually named his black lab...BLACKIE! I actually was in CT visiting and let her out by mistake and I had to run through the rural woods screaming Blackie! Oh geez...

I will be here at work Wed morn. and then I am taking off at about 830 am to get Layla Ann....and I will hopefully be back with GREAT news by noon-ish or one : )

I can already feel the butterflies in my stomache..Im going to be a wreck until Wed...Im praying for the best...and all my prayers have been answered so far...

Layla - Love... : ) I actually call her my love....she is my heart....I miss cuddling with her....and letting her lick my yogurt tops..she LOVES yogurt...

Off to school...tonite is the essay night...we spent all day yesterday doing it : ) Wish me luck!!!

Much love to you all and especially to Francine and Judy..without those two I wouldnt have made it this far : )

Oops! Just went to submit but first....

Thank you Jean!!! That is the greatest news!!! Boxer lovers unite!!! :aktion033: Thank you! You just made my day!!!!

Gabrielle, I am so happy to read that Layla is coming along SO WELL!!

What is FCE?

I hope that the visit with the neurologist gives you the answers that you are looking for and that Layla will soon be doing her therapy and be back home with you.

I will check back in later today...Hugs, Judy

What is FCE?

:motimonkey: Na na..Im not telling you...

Im teasing!!!! I just happened to have fallen in love with that monkey and needed a reason to use it : )

FCE is Fibrocartilaginous Embolism. Basically a cartiligenous piece breaks off and travels down the spinal cord and then it just lodges. Eventually it either passes or the body absorbs it back in. However, it does kill that part of the spinal cord. It is a fancy name for a stroke in her back.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_fibro...s_embolism.html

There is a link I found generally useful. Not as informative as the doctors have been the past two weeks but still...I actually did learn something on that site. Apparently, FCE does not get worse after the first 24 hours. It can only get better and they say maximum improvement is reached at about two weeks, and that the dog may have weakness that is permanent. That I didn't know and was not all that pleased to hear. Layla, however does not want to be a statistic. She got injured on the 5th and its been over two weeks and she just keeps getting better. She is trying to lift her left leg at the hip but she has this really funny gait now. Im sure some of it will get better but I think that she will never be the same. Hopefully she can go back to those long walks we take and chasing the ducks together (yeah, I encourage her... ) [attachmentid=345][ Either way, she can still live a happy life and that is all that matters to me.

The vet tech told me last nite that Layla actually looks like she gained some weight. That is sooo scary since she is absolutely the skinniest dog I have ever seen. I didnt get to see her those two weeks and she was prob. down to about 30 lbs...I cannot imagine!!! She normally weighs 42 lbs..sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less. She has some diahrrea again but they say its only about once a day. It can take 20 days for the coccidia to be completely gone! They say she didnt get it there but they told me that they have had a few animals come down with it lately, including an indoor cat!!! So, we don't really know where she could have got it from..

I wish that I didn't have all this craziness in my life. I would love to take a vacation and just spend it with Layla. This past month has been such a whirlwind of craziness. When Layla came down with all this, I was suffering from strep throat and larengitis and bronchitis....I don't feel like I have ever really gotten over it...I get sick a lot and headaches really bad...and I never get to rest so....between school and work and Layla and homework, Im lucky if I go to bed by 2Am and Im back up at 630 : ) Its a responsibility I have never encountered (of course Im only 23) and I have to admit, very overwhelming. There is nothing is this world that would make me change Layla though, except to make her 100% again : )

My mom is going to help getting Layla to therapy...she can take Layla if I cant cuz Im at work or school. I do plan on taking some vacation time though, as soon as we know whats up with my angel face.

Judy - Layla absolutely adores you!!! I tell her all the things that you say and how it helps and she thanks you for helping her mom through all this : ) As do I, of course : ) :pp_animal_554:

post-382-1159275532_thumb.jpg

Gabby,

You're carrying a really heavy load. You, clearly, have strong shoulders and a strong determination. That's a combination that has no room for defeat!

Vacations are the backdrop for enjoyment and reflection. It seems to me you and Layla are close to having a victory to reflect on and enjoyment based on that victory!

It's so grand to hear you talking about having a vacation, positive thinking equals positive results. You're going to take Layla with you right? Well, of course you are.

She'll soon be ready to get out of there (despite her being spoiled on a daily basis) and fly into your arms. She could never keep away from love that strong. I hope your visit to the Neuro tomorrow answers all you questions and concerns. Remember to be that "stand up listen up" woman who gets what she wants when she wants. LOL

I want to add this boxer here, just for the fun of it. Layla's got him beat by a long shot! Keep up the thoughts of a beautiful future, make it happen!

Francine :ten: "Jade's Mom"

[attachmentid=350]

post-266-1159307869_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jade Silverman's Mom

Gabrielle, I just want you to know that I ADORE Layla too!! Plus you are an inspiration...you are doing a GREAT JOB posting...working, going to school, visiting Layla as much as you can, trying to fund raise on the side...

I am sending positive thoughts, energy and prayers to you for your visit to the neurogolist tomorrow...

I can just see the Dr. prescribing water therapy...it's the best...easy on her and she can really strengthen herself with the help of the water...I can't wait to see if that wha he would have in mind...

I wanted you to know that I'll be thinking of you both tomorrow...I won't be able to stand it until tomorrow night when you can post...

I wonder what your essay was about...perhaps a nice essay about your Layla Ann would be appropriate...Hugs, Judy

Good luck tmw at the neurologist!!! Have some questions ready for the neuro--esp since u have looked up FCE u may have formulated some in ur mind--but put them or any questions on paper. Some specialists are wonderful, and take all the time u need (the boys neuro was like that with their first visit to him last month)...but some are rushed, and it's obvious, so at least for me I don't feel stress trying to quickly remember my questions.

Hugs to sweet Layla!!

This is the first chance I've had to read any od Layla's thread. What an absolute doll baby she is.

Once the funds are raised, how long will she have to wait for surgery?

Hi Gabrielle,

This is also the first time I've had a chance to read through Layla's thread. I really enjoy all the Layla stories. I am amazed at how much you have to juggle, yet you're doing a great job with everything. Layla is a sweetie, and you are a great mom to her

:hugs:

I'm thinking good thoughts for the visit with the neurologist tomorrow. :luck:

Tracy :heart::stripekitty::felineicon:

Sorry I never posted last nite, what a bad nite...I never got to see Layla..I got pulled over....I bought a car a couple months ago and put my tag on it and was going to transfer/register it all but then Layla started having all these things going on and my money was tied up into her and my days are crazy so...Never got it done. Well last nite they finally caught me and took my tag! :angry: I couldn't go to school or to see her... :sad:

Sooo, Layla and I went to the neurologist today and he was soooo impressed with her improvement. He did some testing to ensure that she had no pain spots and she doesnt!! He fully believes it is FCE and he thinks that I should just go ahead with the therapy. All the MRI would do at this point would just verify that. Her improvement is phenominal and the chance of this happening again is so slim...its practically unheard of. He is such a great dr...he really does care about what he is doing and the animals he is caring for...he has spent so much time answering my questions and helping me with Layla : )

And they charged me for JUST a follow-up..so I only had to pay $43!!!

Layla Ann is also starting to use her back left leg!!! How suprised I was this morning when they told me that! She actually walked out of the vet hospital and to the car...That must have been the second happiest moment of my life (the first being the day Layla and I found eachother!) She is definitly coming home this Sat. I am just sooo happy!!!! :happydance::happydance::happydance:

So, I have to call the new vet for therapy and see what that runs and give that estimate back to IMOM. I don't know if they will/can help or if Layla and I will even need it but I will know a definite by the end of the week at the lates...(I hope!!) They actually have a therapist at her vet in Tampa but its sooo far...so Im hoping that the one I was referred to in St. Pete is a reputable one otherwise, off to Tampa we go!!

Today at the vets office I sat next to this woman who looked so upset. She had her chocolate Lab with her and we started talking about our kids. I asked what was wrong with hers as she did to me. When I mentioned the MRI, she kindly asked how much they were b/c the vets stated her baby might need one. When I told her, she was sooo upset....she doesn't have the money. Before she could cry, I told her about IMOM. After I was done praising IMOM and the IMOMers, you should have seen the light of hope in her eyes. I cant even begin to tell you how much it meant to this woman that there was hope for her baby. She had tears of joy when she was leaving. She had to leave her baby there for the day and was going home to look into it.

Cathy, Francine and Judy - It is your strength and your determination that I have leaned upon during this time of need. Thank you for all your kind words, your words of wisdom, your thoughts, prayers, hugs and doggie kisses...Layla sends her love : ) I was talking to her about all of you on the way to the neurologist...and I swear she had a smile on her face.. : ) :thanks3:

Jacki and Tracy - Layla's :Angel15:'s ... :thanks3: for all that you and IMOM have done for Layla and myself. I can't even begin to express my gratitude. You all are awesome ~ Thank you for wishing us good luck..it worked!!! :aktion033:

P.S. Francine, that boxer was adorable!!!!

Oh yeah, the essay...well, we were given a group essay to write, any topic we choose, on comparison and contrast....being the smarties that we are, we chose Group vs. Individual Essays...LOL Quite original...and hopefully an A paper!!

Okay, now that I've lost everyone's attention with my book (just kidding!), off to email Amy and see what is next : )

:hugs: to everyone!!!

Gabrielle, I am THRILLED to read the news about Layla...

And what a sweet thing you did for the lady and her chocolate lab...there is also a lab organization that helps purebred labs so we'll be able to tell her about that...

I don't know if you've read Kim's thread about her beloved Teddie...Teddie has a favorite toy...it's a :banana: ...I am sending you this happy banana in honor of the EXICITNG NEWS about Layla...

You did a terrific job and your determination was unwaving...I know it was tough in the beginning but you hung in there and look where Layla is today...

I am SO PROUD of you...I am sending :hugs: to both you and Layla!!

You have made my night!! Judy

Gabrielle,

I'm so glad things are looking up for you and Layla. Do you have any idea what her treatment would consist of?

And what a sweet thing you did for the lady and her chocolate lab...there is also a lab organization that helps purebred labs so we'll be able to tell her about that...

I don't know if you've read Kim's thread about her beloved Teddie...Teddie has a favorite toy...it's a :banana: ...I am sending you this happy banana in honor of the EXICITNG NEWS about Layla...

Ahh....the beloved :banana: .... yes I read that thread...before I knew much about Layla and what was gonna happen : ) That thread had me laughing soo hard!!! My parents cat has a cigar I got him that he just carries around and meows sooo loud!! Whenever he meows, we always know he has the cigar : )

I also let the woman at the vets know about the lab organization. Her lab is a purebred so I know that at least she qualifies in that aspect. I really hope she can get the help she needs but if she can't then I hope she at least comes to IMOM. It was such a great feeling to be able to let her know there is hope, the smile on her face was filled with love for her dog :wub: and the realization that this wasnt the end, that she could get help. The same feeling that we have all experienced upon finding hope with IMOM. :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Thank you all again! Judy, you have been the best!!! I don't think my enthusiasm would have lasted had it not been for your support. I cant even begin to thank you enough. : ) Layla sends :hugs:

She cant wait to get home to Nefertiti :stripekitty: They have some serious catching up to do. : )

Juli - :hugs: I should know more about what Layla is going to need tomorrow. Im not sure how much therapy or what kind...I have no idea how much any of that costs. As soon as I find out, I will post an update : ) And Juli, thanx again. If it wasnt for you, Layla and I would have never come this far. I owe you much more than I could ever give you .... I send my love and my appreciation. : )

And in honor of Teddie and Kim - :banana::banana::banana::banana:'s all around!!!!

Gabrielle, I was lurking on Layla's thread the other night, enjoying your stories about her. Man oh man, is she CUTE!!! Love that LaylaFace. :bowwow:

But the best is your news from the neurologist -- yea!!! If she can avoid surgery and recover with PT, that's fabulous. What a relief for you. :)

Teddie sends her best banana wishes to Layla. :banana:

I wasn't able to get here earlier, and I have been wondering all day what happened at the neuro--AWESOME NEWS!!!

Oh I am so happy for both u and Layla. :cool026:

U deserve this kind of news --remember a few days ago when u were so sad. I told u it always gets darkest before the light--wow Layla's light is shining bright!!!

I am so happy for u both!!! :banana:

Sign in to follow this