Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Amy IMOM

Layla Poinelli

379 posts in this topic

Gabrielle-

Thank you so much for the support and inspiration. Layla's circumstaces soud very similiar. I read through all of your threads and wow, you wney through some tough times. It's amazing to read how great htings are now with her, but unfortunatley not your health.... We need to work on that. It's time for good karma for you and Layla. I understand long restless nights. I'm a very light sleeper and wake up anytime Sadie moves in fear of her falling of the bed or having to go outside. My other two munchkins, don't move a muscle all night (I also have a dalmatin mix and a golden retriever). So it's difficult to get a good night's rest. As you can tell since I'm writing at alomost 3 am.

The sling thing is not fun, but your're right, it's better than the alternative. I just hate it because Sadie wants to go go go and she can't. Even thoughI'm supporting her, she picks up the pace and 1- I can't kepp up and 2-her hind legs can't keep up either, they start to cross and drag......yuck! I just hopr and pray that angels will be her to help us and get her back to her fun self, like Layla!!!

Again, thanks for the inspiration!!

Much love and Sader-butt kisses!

Catrina & Sadie

post-2647-1196848625_thumb.jpg

Layla is doing really good but I've noticed something .. she is getting lazy...she doesnt want to use her back L leg....Im not too sure how exactly to get her to use it more...She went to her last therapy on Fri...she needs more but I dont know how much more yet..the doctor had left when I got there...but right now I dont have the funds for it either so I told them I would prob. be back in January. What they do is they tape a cap to her back R leg so she is forced to walk on the back L leg... I want to talk to the dr. and get some pointers for that b/c she was very weak and winded and tired when she came home Fri. Not in a bad way at all though, just a very productive way ;)

Her back right leg is approx. 5" thicker around than the back left. She is about 38" at the top R leg, and about 28 1/2" on the bottom R leg. The top L leg is about 32 1/2" and the bottom L leg is about 24".

She is doing VERY well ;) I miss her like crazy right now...she is at my parents while Im packing and moving...normally she would be with me but since the FCE she just cant keep up. Im bringing her home with me tonite though...today is a rough day, always has been and always will be and I need her with me tonite..She isnt allowed to sleep in the bed right now since she pee'd on me in her sleep the other nite...this is the second time she has done that since the FCE...

Some days, the rough ones, I sit and think about the pre-FCE days...and I get sad..and I feel like "Poor Layla..." and I cant help but be sooo upset that my baby has had this FCE and no one knows anything about it. Not only does it upset me, but I feel so hopeless. There isnt anything in the world I wouldnt do for Layla and knowing that THERE IS NOTHING I CAN DO FOR LAYLA kills me...I want to ponder and ponder...why her? What caused this? Did this have any connection with that? And so many things just seem "coincidental"...she had problems with her back L leg before the FCE and now she is lame on that side...are they connected? Or does this have anything to do with that one time she...? Those kinds of questions..What I am really fearful for is that this will affect her future..whether it makes the quality worse or if shorter...Nothing is known about it so I cant even look up any stories from others....

I just wish it was today...or better yet..Sept. 5...is it normal for me to wish I could go back to that day and somehow think I could have prevented it?

LoOOnG post, but I figured it would be great to see where Layla was a year ago today and compared to where she is now...FUN!!

Okay, so here goes!!!

Layla is still at 43 lbs. This is the longest she has kept it up, I'm so proud of her!!!! :wub: She walks on tile, almost perfect. When she gets a little excited, she slips. Sometimes, she does a split but other times she slides, flips and rolls. I always cry when it happens b/c it hurts to see her fall. She is a trooper though and I just wish she would learn the word RELAX! :lol: Although I know she picks up on it from me. I come in the door and I'm singing her name, and dancing through the house with her, asking her if she wants treats, wants to go outside, where's B. Rabbit?? :lol:

B. Rabbit is another one of those Fat Cat inc. toys. Its a canvas bunny we've dubbed B. Rabbit. Layla LOVES this toy b/c its one of the smaller ones and she can flap it and smack it around...

Her back R leg is back to 100%...hard to believe isn't it??? Well, its TRUE!! Yeppers! She did it!!!

Her back L leg is still a little slow but not lame at least. Its about a half second off of being in synch with her steps. Its too cute to watch her "march" through the backyard and the house ;) The muscle mass is back, now its just a matter of whether she will learn to use anymore of it. She can feel certain pain in that leg, but its not 100% of it. I suppose this can be a good thing, especially when she bumps her leg (wings it is more like it) and it hits pretty hard. I have to admit, I'm suprised this leg has not been broken or removed. The vet talked about amputation but with her progress, its not gonna happen! I'd love her regardless, of course :wub: But sheesh! Puppy needs a break!! (ouch, not literally!! Oh PLEASE NO BREAKS!! LOL)

The front legs/shoulder are STRONG! She uses them mostly and she still leans forward when she walks. She can walk on her front two paws, and it usually happens in the back yard when we throw her toy... :blink: She runs too fast, then stops to sudden and next thing you know, Layla Ann is walking on her front paws!!!

Her back is stronger. You can still see the vertabrae (only three or four) in the middle of her back. They think that is where the FCE occured since it's never gotten better and that would explain the hind paralysis.

She dances, runs, plays ... she walks a mile with me, no problem!! We take her to this quiet park and there are less people and dogs. We walk on the grass because if we don't she rips that one nail on her back L leg..

She plays with Dove and Dove loves her. Its too cute!! Sometimes, Layla will be sleeping and Doviekins will sneak into the blanket and curl up in it. Then Layla gets the LOOK and cocks her head and tries to figure out why the blanket is moving. Eventually, she gets up quickly and starts whining. Then Dovie peeks her aborable eyes out at her and its on!! :lol:

She is eating great and I keep up on her teeth :) So her doggy breath isn't so doggy lately...GOOD!! :wub:

The spot on her head never did appear, but its a bald spot now... :) So, good news with that! She goes back in Feb. for her shots and a check up. They will also be checking this black spot on her foot. I thought it was a tick but I tried to pull it and it stayed. She was not happy with me when I did that. I have no idea what it is but suprisingly, I'm not too worried. We've had pretty good luck with Layla lately so I'm sure its nothing but I'm just double checking when we go anyways. :heart:

Me - I was diagnosed with a Hiatal Hernia. They gave me meds, which did nothing. After spending another month of not eating and excrutiating pain, I got another script from the doctor. It works but it gives me LOTS of tummy problems...so Im either hurting or sick...not sure which is best, but whateva! Unfortunately, I sleep worse now so I'm averaging about 3 - 4 hours a nite with anywhere from 5 - 15 different times I wake up. So...blah! I'm still trying to take some time for me but lately, it just doesn't happen. My car broke for good, so I don't have one now. I'm at school for three classes next semester, and at work full time..sometimes more.

So, I go back to the doctor in Feb. and I might have to have ANOTHER endoscopy...which let me tell ya, the first one wasn't the greatest experience I had. Weighing only 110 lbs, Im sure they thought I wouldn't need much anesthesia but apparently I did. So, it took me twice as long to pass out and twice as long to come to...and when I did, I was not feeling so great. They couldn't give me pain meds cuz of the nausea and I kept getting sick when I felt where the biopsy was done...pyschological Im sure but sick nonetheless...:lol:

So, until Feb...I know nothing more...hoping the hernia is gone so I don't have to have surgery :( We'll see in Feb though...

THANK YOU ANGELS!! LAYLA SENDS HER DOGGY KISSES AND HUGS~~

And I am forever grateful to this community...:heart:

Gabrielle-

Thank you so much for the support and inspiration. Layla's circumstaces soud very similiar. I read through all of your threads and wow, you wney through some tough times. It's amazing to read how great htings are now with her, but unfortunatley not your health.... We need to work on that. It's time for good karma for you and Layla. I understand long restless nights. I'm a very light sleeper and wake up anytime Sadie moves in fear of her falling of the bed or having to go outside. My other two munchkins, don't move a muscle all night (I also have a dalmatin mix and a golden retriever). So it's difficult to get a good night's rest. As you can tell since I'm writing at alomost 3 am.

The sling thing is not fun, but your're right, it's better than the alternative. I just hate it because Sadie wants to go go go and she can't. Even thoughI'm supporting her, she picks up the pace and 1- I can't kepp up and 2-her hind legs can't keep up either, they start to cross and drag......yuck! I just hopr and pray that angels will be her to help us and get her back to her fun self, like Layla!!!

Again, thanks for the inspiration!!

Much love and Sader-butt kisses!

Catrina & Sadie

wOW! We sure do have similar experiences!! Layla and I went through the same thing..when she was in the sling, she didn't want to slow down and I couldn't keep up and neither could her back legs! BUT...after a few weeks, we were able to toss the darn sling and I would hold her near the collar and around the waist (MUCH easier to do with a small dog...not so sure about sweet Sadie tho!)..they also have paw protectors we used b/c she would knuckle and drag...(she tossed those almost immediately..LOL)

We take walks in the grass now...I know that Sadie has an actual, physical injury but when Sadie is back to herself..try the beach. It's great for building muscle and its a scenic walk, specially if you've got a slow pup walking ;)

Hugs to you and your Krew!!!

CHECK IT OUT ANGELS!! LAYLA RUNS!!!

THIS IS BECAUSE OF YOU ANGELS! I STILL HAVE MY SWEET LAYLA ANN BECAUSE OF THE WONDERFUL ANGELS HERE AT IMOM!

I CANNOT THANK YOU ENOUGH!

LAYLA RUNS N CATCHES - KINDA!

LOOK HOW FAR SHE HAS COME! ITS GREAT!!!!!

OMG...I am too excited! I JUST had to tell the IMOM family!!!

Okay...so...with the cold (ok..what we call cold in FL) Layla's back legs have been acting crazy! The other day we had a horrible scare..I don't know why exactly but Layla was showing extreme signs of weakness in her hind legs, both of them. When I tried to help her up, she stood until I let go and then would fall. She kept doing this and when she would try to walk, she would drag her back legs. Its scary... this happened for a couple days and then she has been okay since. (It was about 30 - 45 for a couple of days...maybe thats why)

So...since she's been doing this, I figured now would be a good time for a pinch test. If you remember, the doctor told us to continue to do this to see if she gets any feeling in that back L leg. After a year, I was told to expect no more improvement.

I did the pinch test with Layla and....she felt it! Not only did she feel it, but she felt my finger touch her foot and I didn't have to pinch her either! I thought maybe fluke and tried later and she did it again!

I cannot tell you how extremely good it was to see that. Layla didn't think so :wacko: but I sure did! This means that she is still improving!!! We are thinking of putting her back on the water treadmill therapy but we need to talk to the doctor and see what he thinks :)

Anywho...thats the GREAT news!!! :motimonkey: Im so PROUD of my Layla Ann :heart: and I thank God for IMOM and the Angels that made it possible for her and I to continue our lives together. She is my life and my heart and I don't know where I'd be without her.

Thankx all!!!

Hey Gabs...

I just found Layla's thread and read "every" page (took all morning, but I did it :biggrin: ) What an experience you two have had. She is definitely one amazing pup!!! Wow!! To watch her run on that video, you could never tell how bad she was just a year ago. (see.. vet's don't know "everything"... thank God).

Anyway.. I wanted to read up on Layla and get to know you both better. I'm glad I did. Oh.. while I'm thinking about it.. I'm wondering if maybe (since you said it was cold there when Layla's legs were giving out), do you think maybe she got some arthritis during everything she was going through. I mean.. maybe, because her legs were out of commission for so long, there could have been some build up in the joints that are causing this. If that's the case... you are really lucky to be in Florida where it doesn't get that cold that often. Anyway.. it was just a thought.

Thank you so very much for supporting Mike and I like you have. We really do appreciate you and your love and compassion. Give Layla a big hug from me and bunches of nose kisses from Mike.

Hey Gabs...

I just found Layla's thread and read "every" page (took all morning, but I did it :biggrin: ) What an experience you two have had. She is definitely one amazing pup!!! Wow!! To watch her run on that video, you could never tell how bad she was just a year ago. (see.. vet's don't know "everything"... thank God).

Anyway.. I wanted to read up on Layla and get to know you both better. I'm glad I did. Oh.. while I'm thinking about it.. I'm wondering if maybe (since you said it was cold there when Layla's legs were giving out), do you think maybe she got some arthritis during everything she was going through. I mean.. maybe, because her legs were out of commission for so long, there could have been some build up in the joints that are causing this. If that's the case... you are really lucky to be in Florida where it doesn't get that cold that often. Anyway.. it was just a thought.

Thank you so very much for supporting Mike and I like you have. We really do appreciate you and your love and compassion. Give Layla a big hug from me and bunches of nose kisses from Mike.

Awww, you are too sweet!!! I can't believe you read it all....I am sooo long winded!!! LOL

Yes, Layla and I have gone through quite a bit but we are very attached and I couldn't have asked for a better puppy! She is getting ready to go to the holistic vet this week. Its a new one and we are a little nervous. Her other vet it GREAT, but they don't do holistic so...

I just want Layla to be pain free and happy. I think the holistic vet will help us find a food that she isn't allergic to, and supplements for her hips/legs because yes, I think she might have arthritis OR maybe some sort of hip problems. I want to ask about the raw diet too because I heard it works miracles! So, she goes in next week hopefully. :) I also want them to check her eye because its got some swelling around it and the fur is thinning. It just started a couple days ago and you know me...worry worry worry. I just know taht if it IS something, early prevention is the best :)

HUGS TO YOU ALL!

Just wanted to stop in and check on you and say "thank you" for being so supportive of Mike and me... you really are a sweetheart! :wub:

Tuesday is the BIG day!! Layla goes to her new vet and I am sooo nervous! They are into holistic/modern medice and said that it really will depend on what she needs. I asked her about suppliments and told her Layla takes the mercury-free fish oil (better be for $35/bottle!) and duralactin (milk thistle) for her joints and hips. My fault...I don't have her on any Glucosamine and Chondroiton but I just get nervous now with meds and Layla and I read somewhere that it's dangerous if you give them TOO much! Sheesh!!! :P

So, we are nervous because we have no idea what these spots are on Layla. It happened before and we thought Cancer, but thank heavens it wasn't. Now, the spots are back again and they keep recessing and appearing in different spots. When we think its gone, it's on another foot. I feel bad because I keep thinking I should have taken her in a few weeks ago when I first saw them but I thought they were abrasions from falling. I didn't know they could be anything else.

I have tried to goodsearch the images and some info and I keep coming up with staph infection and secondary dermatitis (which is usually a staph infect.) All the sites say that it is usually caused by an uderlying problem such as allergies, to either food or environment. So, we are hoping that it is fixable and simple. My baby girl has been through so much.

I really think that it may be caused by an allergy I didn't realize she had, or was taking in. We know that she suffers from Urticaria (Hives) and Angioedema (face swelling) when exposed to dust mites, trees (specific ones) and stuff like that, but this is completely different. They are red bumps with the hair gone and red and swollen with clear ooze. Kinda like when you fall and scrape your knee and right before it bleeds, its all red and swollen and oozing that clear stuff. So, that is why we thought it was an abrasion, but now, well we don't know. I'm trying not to beat myself up about it but I keep thinking that I should have known she needed to see the doctor... I dunno...

So, countdown continues...4 days till the vets...pray that it's not her immune system. The vets all warned me that Layla is/has aged at a faster rate than most dogs. They compared her to an 8 year old dog when she was 5....she is now 6 1/2. And that was what they warned me about. And from what I'm reading about Staph, it's usually a compromise between allergies and their immune system, especially when it's reoccuring.

Whew...! Thankx for listening. I get a little (a LOT) worried when it comes to my Layla Ann but this time, we are worried. I guess because I just don't know what it is, and I guess that's why I'm not a vet either...LOL

Anywho...say a prayer for us that it's fixable and nothing serious. We will update you Tuesday!! And thank you again, for listening and making it possible for LAyla to be with me today.

HUgS!

Hey Gabs...

I'm far from an expert, but it sounds like an allergy. I mean it comes and goes. I can't explain it being in different areas, but it could be (like you said) dust mites landing in different parts of her body.

The vet had Mike on Glucosamine and Chondroiton last summer when it looked as though he had arthritis. He wasn't on it too long, because he had to go on other meds for his liver and apparently they weren't sure if it would have a negative reaction of the two together.

Anyway... Layla will definitely be in our prayers!!!

Love & Hugs

Whew....

Layla and I LOVE the new doctor! Their staff is amazing and when you walk in, WOW! Kitties and pups everywhere! Oh, there are two mini schnauzers, and four office cats and an office bird even! The vet and Layla were compatible which is always great. Poor Layla, she was shaking the entire time we were there! Well, almost. She got better when the vet got on the floor with her and let it be under "her" terms..LOL

She asked a million questions, which of course I love :heart:

Unfortunately, she knew immediately what those spots were on Layla. Joanna, I wish it were just dust mites but the vet diagnosed them as Histiocytomas, or cancer on the skin. They are considered benign which is GREAT, but unfortunately with this comes the stronger possibility that Layla will develope cancer later on in life. The vet recommends putting steroid cream on them and if one appears and does not diminish within three to four weeks, we have to bring her in for a biopsy. If it changes to purple, or increases in size, she will have to be brought in.

Unfortunately, this means Layla's immune system is compromising. So, it could be that she could remain healthy for years, or less. I guess we just don't know. It will mostly be a matter of her aging that will seriously affect her immune system. Layla was given the okay for forego her vaccinations due to her health problems.

So, we find out today the results of Layla's bloodwork. I have to get all her vet info to the new vet, which I couldn't find the other day. Its in storage I believe.

Well, so I guess my prayers were answered. I thought for sure Cancer and even suspected the cytomas but kept trying to convince myself that I was overreacting but I guess I wasn't. But I prayed that things would be okay even if the doc did diagnose cancer. Well, God listened as usual and is helping us through this. And trust me, we are forever grateful. Doesn't make it easier. I know I should be estatic that my Layla doesn't have a malignant cancer but damnitt, she still has it! So what if it's benign? That isn't a guarantee that is will always be benign. So as grateful as I am, there is a little frustration and anger that my Layla ann has to deal with more stuff. :(

Gabs

Well, I got Layla's cd from the vets with her x-rays. I am going to drop it off to the new vet on Monday. She would like to see her x-rays because she thinks Layla would do great with the acupuncture. I sure hope so! They were extremely impressed with how far she has come and think the acupuncture will bring her progress further!! PLUS, they say it's good for the immune system and since Layla's is compromising, well it's definitly worth a shot.

We've been watching the tumor and putting cortisone cream on it, which Layla hates. Immediately she will start to lick but if she knows I am watching, well she's sneaky. She puts her head down and looks all cute and innocent until I forget and then aha! she licks! The spot hasn't gotten smaller since it appeared and the doctor said give it a few weeks. So, we are just waiting. And it really sucks. I hate the fact that Layla's got more to go through. As if the FCE and cataracts and tummy problems and skin problems and allergies just weren't enough. Sure, lets just throw Cancer in there too. :(

So, yeah it sucks. And I keep getting those stupid looks from everyone. They pretty much say "When are you going to just put her out of her misery? You can't possibly tell me that you are going to pay for this now too???" And yeah, I will. I'll go broke making sure my baby stays healthy. No one understands that I'm freaked. Yes, the tumors are benign but the fact of the matter is, IT IS STILL CANCER. AND IT COULD BECOME MALIGNANT AT ANY GIVEN TIME. And it tells me that Layla's getting old, and she won't live forever and that just sucks too. As if I'm not reminded every time I see her grey...:broken_heart:

Thanks for letting me vent (and cry..). At least you all understand how much she means to me and don't give me those stupid looks.

Gabs

Wow....it's just one thing after another. I talked to my parents yesterday and found out that Aurora Lynn (Layla's big sister) has passed on to the Rainbow Bridge. How sad I was to hear this. I kept going back to when she was younger. I remember when she got her pictures taken in the red wagon with her bandana on. She was such a ham when she was younger. She would wiggle herself into a U when she got excited. She really defined the term WIGGLE BUTT :heart: She would have been 8 this October. Aurora really was Layla's big sister, they both came from the same farm, just a year apart. Aurora's health was failing and she could no longer eat and was just depressed. So my parents felt it was time and they took her on her final car ride and dropped her off at the Rainbow Bridge.

Fly Free Sweet Aurora Lynn! Thank you for always being such a GREAT big sister to Layla :heart:

:angel::pp_animal_554:

Gabby, I'm so sorry about Layla's big sister...It's just awful when they have to go to the Rainbow Bridge...send my condolences to your parents.

I am in Lake City, Florida..the weather is beautiful and so much nicer than fighting with ice and snow back home. I accidentially deleted your PM with your telephone no.....I don't think we'll be near Clearwater but I didn't want you to think I was just ignoring you...

Did you see the news about Tim??? I am so happy...

Hoping that you are good...I think Layla will do wel lwith acupuncture.

Hugs, Judy

Aw Gabs, I am sorry abt Layla's big sister. I bet u are holding Layla a bit closer tonight. It's so hard to hear of any furkid going to RB, but when u know them personally and Layla knew Aurora, it's particularly devastating.

I imgaine Aurora is wiggle buttin' like crazy now.

I'm sorry abt the histiocytoma's. Did Layla have a biopsy that gave that report--or are u just going by the vet saying that's what it is? I think without going back the vet didn't biopsy, but waiting for any change?? AY YI YI, being sleep deprived for so long. It would be nice if the vet was wrong!!

Ohhh two mini schnauzers at that hospital--way cool!

Well severe thunderstorms are on the way..so gotta run.

Big hugs to Layla, Doviekins and YOU!

Gee Gabs, I am sorry about Aurora Lynn. It is always so hard to say goodbye, even if we know it is for the best. I will be thinking of you.

Love and Husky hugs, :dogsled:

Debbie and jack

:animcndc_sm: for Aurora Lynn

Cindy pointed me here.

I am sorry about Aurora. :(

Is it histiocytoma or histiocytosis?

I have a bunch of links and information from researching about Nina that I can post if you would like.

How old is Layla? And I can't remember her breed(s).

Here's the weird thing with Nina-they diagnosed histiocytosis (benign, cutaneous) from biopsy. Now her slides are being sent to Cornell dermatology to review to confirm.

Did they biopsy them? Do you have dermatologists near you? Anyway let me know if you want some links and if it is the osis or oma.

I'll have to go back and read where they are located on her. Do they just appear as bumps and then start to go through the hair?

Cindy pointed me here.

I am sorry about Aurora. :(

Is it histiocytoma or histiocytosis?

I have a bunch of links and information from researching about Nina that I can post if you would like.

How old is Layla? And I can't remember her breed(s).

Here's the weird thing with Nina-they diagnosed histiocytosis (benign, cutaneous) from biopsy. Now her slides are being sent to Cornell dermatology to review to confirm.

Did they biopsy them? Do you have dermatologists near you? Anyway let me know if you want some links and if it is the osis or oma.

I'll have to go back and read where they are located on her. Do they just appear as bumps and then start to go through the hair?

Awww, thank you Jean! Cindy had told me that you might be going through the same thing but I knew you were busy with the kids and didn't want to bother you. So, thank you :)

Here's the scoop:

About a month ago, Layla got one of these bumps on her eye (right next to it) and then it went away after about a week. I figured she got too close to the cat and it was swollen a bit, particularly since it went away so quickly. Then she got one on her leg (ankle) and it too went away and I thought she had fallen and gotten a scrape. It appeared again on another leg and then again on another and finally, its on her front right paw. Its up a bit, by the joint...actually they have all been right on the joints.

To be honest, I'm not sure how exactly they start. I've just seen them there all of the sudden, with the red bumps and no hair. Sometimes they are really red red, and other times just really pinkish/red. She licks them only when I put the cortisone cream on them.

The vet's wanting to wait to do the biopsy. She said she is pretty sure that is what they are and if this one doesn't receed in another week, it's getting biopsy'd. She didn't request one right away so I assumed that she knew that was exactly what those were. I had been researching for weeks and that was the only thing I could come up with (histiocytoma) so when I went to the vets (and did NOT tell her that's what I thought) she came up with the same conclusion, only immediately. So...I figured that is exactly what they were. Now, Im thinking...can that be determined without a biopsy? Or should I remain calm at least until one is done??

Layla turned six in Sept. and she is a purebred Boxer... (I know...doesn't help much with the cancer thing) She also sufferes from severe allergies, GI problems, cataracts and that darn FCE still shows its face.

Jean, could you send me both links? I can't seem to find the difference...what is the difference in the -oma vs. the -isis ??

How is Nina? Is she doing okay??

HUGS and thanks! I really appreciate the info

Gabs

Gabby, I'm so sorry about Layla's big sister...It's just awful when they have to go to the Rainbow Bridge...send my condolences to your parents.

I am in Lake City, Florida..the weather is beautiful and so much nicer than fighting with ice and snow back home. I accidentially deleted your PM with your telephone no.....I don't think we'll be near Clearwater but I didn't want you to think I was just ignoring you...

Did you see the news about Tim??? I am so happy...

Hoping that you are good...I think Layla will do wel lwith acupuncture.

Hugs, Judy

Ahhh.... Lake City! How wonderful that you two get to enjoy our beautiful weather this week :) LUCKY you!

I will send my condolences. It was definitly tough to stop by yesterday without Aurora barking her way to the door, wiggling all over the tile :( But, she is definitly happier. I'll tell her story soon :) She too, was once a puppy mill dog, rescued and suffered her whole life with allergies and diseases. :heart: Sweet Aurora Lynn...

Have fun! I'm going to go check in on Tim now..!!!

Gabs!

Gee Gabs, I am sorry about Aurora Lynn. It is always so hard to say goodbye, even if we know it is for the best. I will be thinking of you.

Love and Husky hugs, :dogsled:

Debbie and jack

:animcndc_sm: for Aurora Lynn

Aww, thank you both! You're right, it was super tough being there the other day, even though I knew that Aurora was in a better place. I just kept going back to when she came home and was just a tiny baby boxer. Now... :( That's what makes it so tough I think. :heart:

Thank you for your condolences. I'm so sure that Aurora is playing at the RB with all the other kids, just waiting for her Angels on Earth to join her :)

Gabs

Aw Gabs, I am sorry abt Layla's big sister. I bet u are holding Layla a bit closer tonight. It's so hard to hear of any furkid going to RB, but when u know them personally and Layla knew Aurora, it's particularly devastating.

I imgaine Aurora is wiggle buttin' like crazy now.

I'm sorry abt the histiocytoma's. Did Layla have a biopsy that gave that report--or are u just going by the vet saying that's what it is? I think without going back the vet didn't biopsy, but waiting for any change?? AY YI YI, being sleep deprived for so long. It would be nice if the vet was wrong!!

Ohhh two mini schnauzers at that hospital--way cool!

Well severe thunderstorms are on the way..so gotta run.

Big hugs to Layla, Doviekins and YOU!

Do you know I actually did NOT want to tell Layla? And when I did, she walked off immediately, went outside and sun bathed for about fifteen minutes. She looked so sad, it broke my heart. I held her super close and all I could think of was Layla and Aurora when I brought Layla home. Aurora was such a good sister, she looked out for Layla, taught her how to run away, played tug of war with her, shared her grenade and kong and her food and milk bones. What a sweet, gentle soul. She is missed :heart:

Nope, no report yet. We are hoping for a no on the biopsy but if it will help rule out or determine the diagnosis, we are definitly going to ask her! Oh Cindy, the vets is amazing!! You'd love them...Stella is one of the lil schnauzers name...I forgot the other but the other is young, just a puppy and oh-so-cute!! I'll try for some pics :)

Sleep?? What's that? Oh yeah, that thing you do when you close your eyes...silly me!! I get sleep all day long...I blink continuously...and sleep is for pansies...LOL

yeah, that would be nice...give your sweet puppers hugs from me! And tell them they are super brave for handling those nasty storm...!

Gabs

Oh Gabs... I'm sorry.. I just found out about Layla's big sister. I'm so very sorry. Give Layla some hugs from me and nose kisses from Mike and explain to her that now her sister is running and playing in the most beautiful field ever.

Hope the biopsy comes out benign... praying for good results.

By the way... could you send us some of your sunshine and warmth... it's cooooooolllllllldddd up here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histiocytoma_(dog) has a couple of good pictures of it a histiocytoma

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.p...amp;SourceID=42

and http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cl...p;articleid=445

I think the histiocytoma is more what you want (as if you want anything extra). I don't know if they suggest anything to boost anything or not for that kind of thing.

Histiocytosis is another deal. And we don't want to go there if we can help it! http://www.histiocytosis.ucdavis.edu/faq.html and http://www.upei.ca/cidd/Diseases/clinical%...stiocytosis.htm

I have other scarier links (NICE!) but if it's the -oma for some reason I think that's the better thing to have. I hope that is the case and that is what Layla has.

On a weird note, Nina had a biopsy that diagnosed cutaneous histiocytosis and then when we went to the dermatologist last month, he requested to have her slides sent to him, and NOW that diagnosis is no longer what we are going with. It's very good news actually, and I believe Nina just has a German Shepherd pyoderma that can flare up-but it's not anywhere near what we thought she had.

So let's hope it's all good for Layla too. :)

Hmmm, it sounds to me like she has the -oma which is definitly the better of the two but I'm not sure. I think I am going to print this info out and bring them to the vets and have her explain why/how/which one it is and isn't (and all the other questions I will have depending on her answers).

See, the thing is that the very first one showed up on her face, right next to her eye. The second, third and fourth and fifth have all been on her feet or legs, right smack on the joints, every time. This one that she still has is exactly where the leg and foot meet (on the ankle joint) and THAT makes me scared.

I wish I could read one and say AHA! thats it but I just don't know. I saw the image and her's does and doesn't look like that. Hers is pinkish (lighter) and currently has a scab on it from where it was oozing at and has a few dark red spots on it (which I assumed it was from her licking it when I put the cream on it) and its not just a spot, its got a tiny bit of swelling around it, but its not swollen (does that make sense???)

Thank you for all your help! Im bringing this info to the vets Monday and will be sitting down and chatting with her. Actually, I might do it this afternoon...

German Shepherd pyoderma - is it like a skin reaction that just shepherds get? I'll have to go read about it...never heard of it but, hey! if its better than the -isis, WOOHOO! That is GREAT!!! I hope treatments works out well for her :) (if they are needed at all)

Thank you, thank you for the info! I really truly appreciate it!

I will get an update ASAP, after I talk to the vets. We too, are hoping for the -oma and not the -isis (I sure do hope I have that right...I would be so upse if I found out I was praying for the wrong one!!)

Gabs

Hey Gab...

I'm not sure which one we should be praying for.. so we'll just pray that He picks the right one (cuz He knows which is which) ;)

Sign in to follow this