Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mcduck

my ferals, semi ferals, and grumpy old lady(tuscany)

144 posts in this topic

Hay Joyce;

I got a very cute kitten in at the rescue, about 13-14 weeks old. She's black and we named her Nibbles, because she nibbles on everything! She's also full of energy, kinda like the energizer bunny....I was thinking that Josie needs a friend....LOL!!!!!!!

Nancy

Hey, Joyce, wonderful news about Josie! The kitty crazies are such fun, aren't they! Well, well, and then Nibbles could come & stay & you could have twice as much kitten crazies! LOL

Hey, I do not need another kitten. Nibbles may be very cute but I am having enough trouble in this house with the cats I already have.

There seems to be a trickle down effect of *itchyness in my cats. Tuscany can't stand anyone and gives me a cold shoulder all the time unless I have food in my hand. Now Mama hardly lets me touch her. She is staying out of reach and almost anytime I try to get her in from the sunroom she scoots outside again. When I do get her in -it's don't touch me. Many nights she no longer sleeps on the bed. One night Josie climbed up to snuggle in, I realized that Mama was up on the same side. I leaned over to pet her and got a easy bite for my trouble. Grrrr, I think Mama is very jealous of Josie.

None of the cats want anything to do with each other. It has been better than two years that Mama has been around, over 2 months that Josie has been around. Will I ever have cats that can be on the same surface with harmony?

I swear Josie is trying to be the alpha cat. She stalks them all, sometimes charges and screams the loudest should anyone even walk towards her.

Wee, just takes it all in stride when she is inside. Last pm was the first night that I locked her in the sunroom for the whole night. She seemed fine this am, though I don't think she realizes that the litter box was for her use. (don't think she did anything anywhere). Wee does have this bad habit of when she first gets in the house she likes to go in the great room and scratch the carpet. She doesn't get it that I keep yelling at her when she starts. She has trees outside, a great scratching post in the sunroom, why does she have to do the carpet!

Ok, grumping aside, it is fun to have a kitten in the house - most of the time. Yeah, like this morning when she was swallowing a shoe lace and I had to pull 1/3 of it out of her mouth. HUmm, Josie 2K amost cost me alot more money. Now she just came up on this desk and is laying across my arm purring. Sweet.

Hope everyone is doing ok. Joyce

THINKING ABOUT LETTING WEE SLEEP INSIDE THE HOUSE TONIGHT. HUSBAND IS GONE AND I DON'T WORK TOMORROW SO WHO NEEDS SLEEP, RIGHT? JUST HOPE IF SHE HAS TO GO SHE REALIZED THE LITTER BOX IS THE PLACE. JOYCE

Joyce, I read this kitty tales with such delight. I sure hope you can get some pictures soon. I'd love to match the stories with the faces!

Martha Jane and Baila

I'm making a promise - by the end of the weekend I will have my husband figure out the picture stuff :> I did take a bunch over the holidays just for this reason. I am hoping that the instructions are still on this site somewhere.

WEE did ok last pm, I slept like *hit. She kept wanting to crawl on my face. I think what she really wanted was to be held like I usually do but it wasn't a good position to sleep in. I was surprised she wasn't meowing thru the night. The king size bed certainly seemed small with just me and 3 cats in it. Trouble is, each cat had to have their own space otherwise we had growling going on. I think I finally got up a 6 am to let Mama and Wee out and went back to bed. I think I need a better night sleep tonight so it is back to the sunroom for her (locked in).

Tuscany was actually nice to me today! I sat downstairs (her territory) on the couch with her for about 1/2 hour and she purred the entire time. That is probably the longest purr fest I've had with her in over 2 years.

OK, got to get to bed. It is off to work in am to tackle the new computer system again. (Man, did I have a bunch of dreams about that last pm).

Joyce

Hi Joyce,

The pictures are really pretty easy. Hit 'browse' below the reply screen and find the file on you computer/ CD or wherever you have it stored. Hit 'attach'. After it is attached another option shows up below the reply screen beside the name of the file which is 'add into post'. Hit it! :) If they won't load the file is to big and can be downsized in windows 'paint' which is found under 'accesories'. There I go to 'image', 'stretch/ skew' and then put in between %15 and %30 for both vertial and horizontal to reduce it enough to post.

If you have trouble let me know and we'll give more details. -- Yes, indeed I'm wanting pictures.

Thanks for the wonderful help with Merlyn today. You all are amazing! Hope you are getting some growl free sleep!

Baila and Martha

[attachmentid=1664][attachmentid=1656][attachmentid=1657][attachmentid=1658][attachmentid=1659][attachmentid=1660][attachmentid=1661][attachmentid=1662][attachmentid=1663]

post-156-1170004033_thumb.jpg

post-156-1170004065_thumb.jpg

post-156-1170004083_thumb.jpg

post-156-1170004096_thumb.jpg

post-156-1170004120_thumb.jpg

post-156-1170004135_thumb.jpg

post-156-1170004152_thumb.jpg

post-156-1170004198_thumb.jpg

post-156-1170004393_thumb.jpg

Hi Joyce,

I am browsing for pictures to cheer me up. Hope you sort it out soon.

I am so grateful to you for all the support you offered with Merlyn. I loved my boy so very much and it's nice to know that he touched others as well.

Thank you so much.

Lynette

OK< got pictures in but no names with them. Guess that is next lesson.

The Black and white cat is my RB heart cat - MERLOT. He left in 2004 after us attempting to stop his cancer in his leg by amputating his right front leg off. We only got 3 months after that.

Tuscany is the calico. She is nearly 14. Grumpy and hates all the other cats.

MamaFurFace isn't hard to pick out - she the long haired one that looks like a maine coon. I've included a butt shot of her - rumor has it some people around here like butt shots??

Wee is the larger of the tabbies. She is probably 3 years old now. I attempted another sleep in last pm but Josie wouldn't stop growling at her. I gave up last night at 3:30.

Josie - the smaller, darker kitten. She was aabout 5 months old in the pictures. She sure is growing. She has doubled her weight since I trapped her in November. She reminds me of Kris S. black cat - long and sleek. She has spunk.

So there is the gang - at least the ones that let me handle them. Enjoy, Joyce

Oh Joyce, we did indeed enjoy! What TERRIFIC pictures! Real smile inducers and it's great fun to see the faces behind the stories. Josie looks sooo cute, and being a brown tabby (which I think are ALWAYS the sweetest!) I just can't imagine her growlin! :)

IPB Image This little picture of Josie is so cute it's unbearable - by the way, did the flowers in the next picture make it- they sure appear to be i peril in the picture!

Hope you're getting some sleep tonight!

Chin rubs to all who will accept them! :)

Martha Jane and Baila

ps. Thank you for working so hard to help give Merlyn the best chance he could get!

Edited by Baila

Love it, love it, love it!!!!

What wonderful pictures. Joyce, thank you so much for taking the time to share your babies with us. Your babies are all beautiful!

I have to tell you, the shot of MamaFurFace posing perkily with her tail up and her, ahem, nether regions exposed just cracks me up. Her pose makes me think of those silly photos in those "gentlemen's magazines." Something about the way she is looking back over her shoulder with her butt in the air, hahahahahahaa!!!!

"PLAYCAT OF THE MONTH" PROFILE

NAME:

MamaFurFace

TURN-ONS:

Posing under the Christmas tree, a warm and cuddly blanket, a bit of drooling. Ooh la la!

TURNOFFS:

Loud noises, boisterous kittens.

Laurie, that's an hysterical take on mama furr face. What a mind you have!

Joyce, again, thank you soo much for sharing these. I must ask how long your tree lasted. Somehow I'm invisioning the footage that was being posted before christmas of the demise of the Christmas tree.

Hi Joyce,

I really loved seeing pictures of your babies. I love the head shot of Merlot. What a sweet boy.

Thanks so much for all the support when Merlyn was sick. You were really wonderful in every way. The breakdowns are less frequent now. I will pick his cremains up today and that will be hard I know. Still, it will be good to have him back home.

Thanks for the pics and stories about your kids.

Lynette

Oh Joyce, it's so much fun seeing pics of your kitties! Merlot was very handsome...... the tabbies are ADORABLE (but then you know I'm partial to brown tabbies :stripekitty: ), and Tuscany's tricolor cattitude comes right through the photos. :lol:

Now that you know how to post photos, we expect to see more. ;)

Joyce, what beautiful babies! So glad to see them. And so glad Josie has a furever home with you!

Thanks for sharing the pictures!!! They are all just beautiful.....and little Josie is just darling, what pretty face she has. MaMa Furface definitely looks a bit maine coonish or maybe even Norwegian Forest cattish. And Merlot, was just a beautiful, beautiful cat...I know you still miss him greatly. :hugs:

POOP QUESTION! Josie has continued to have soft stool. She rarely had a firm stool. Sometimes it is soft and formed at the beginning of the BM but then turns soft at the end. A lot of times it is just pancake soft. Sorry about all the descriptions but I wanted you to get the picture. :> So, is it "normal" to continue to have soft stool? Remember Josie spent 6 weeks on antibiotics. And had 2 rounds of panacur and the tapeworm drug which I can't remember the name now. Josie also has GAS! I've not had a cat with gas. Phew! Sometimes you pick her up - squishing her stomach and gas is expelled. Or she will have gas before her BM. NO, I don't have a fetish for checking this out - it so happens that Josie is very regular - usually twice a day. She is like Kim and whoozit where she likes to go the bathroom when I am in there. Or she likes to go when I clean the box, which is usually twice a day. She is so silly she won't even wait til I am done to get in the box. She comes running when she hears me scooping and has to investigate.

SO the questions. Is it unusual to cont soft? Does anyone have any "natural" remedies that they would suggest? Yes, I have called the vet - she suggests a week of Metronitazol. Great, more stuff to shove down her throat. I did ask her about natural stuff and she suggested Fast Balance. Has anyone had luck with this? NO, Josie does not appear sick. She eats great, full to energy, runs around like a freight train and is becoming more snuggly. She is sitting with me now as we discuss her.

Glad you all liked the pictures. I need more lessons on how to get them to the computer easier. See, the pictures that my husband or I took got downloaded to the Mac computer - then my husband likes to color adjust and crop in I photo, then he resizes, then puts it on a card, brings it up to the PC ....... Isn't there a way to just hook it up to the pc and do it??

Laurie, you cracked me up with the "Playcat" description of Mama.

Laura, I hadn't thought about the Norwegian Forest Cat - my husband liked that. You should see Mama now that she is wearing her heavy winter fur! I'll try to get a picture of that.

Martha - the Christmas tree is fake. True confession - it is still up. OMG - I can't believe I just admitted that! It is a 6' tall tree that I put up on a large cocktail table. The cats usually don't get up there and have been good leaving it alone. I did catch Mama sleeping there a few times and Josie did take only two ornaments off.

Carol, Kim and Lynette - thanks for looking at the pictures. If any of you need to borrow a feral tabby just let me know:>

Nancy - I think you have been busy with your move. Did you get your ferals relocated?? I've been thinking of you. If things have calmed down for you let's actually make a date to meet! I have my day off to myself now. Yippee.

Long post, but if anyone has suggestions on the stool matter I'd appreciate it. Joyce

STILL HOPING TO GET SOME SUGGESTIONS ON MY PREVIOUS POST REGARDING SOFT STOOLS. JOSIE DOESN'T LIKE THE FAST BALANCE STUFF IN HER WET FOOD - SO SHE ISN'T EATING MUCH OF IT. JOYCE

GOING FOR THE METRONITAZOL TODAY - JOSIE STOOL WAS MORE RUNNING LAST PM - SHE HAD TO GET HER FOOT WASHED AFTER.

KEPT WEE IN THE HOUSE LAST PM, COLD. SHE DID PRETTY WELL. CAME INTO BED A FEW TIMES AND DIDN'T MEOW TOO MUCH. DID LET HER OUT AROUND 9 AM - SUN WAS OUT AND SHE WAS GETTING ANXIOUS. ALSO LET MAMA OUT AS SHE HAD BEEN IN FOR 36 HRS. BAD NEWS TODAY - JUST A FEW MINUTES AGO FOR THE FIRST TIME I SAW COYOTES IN MY BACK YARD - 3 OF THEM. I HAD HEARD THEY WERE IN THE AREA BUT HAD NEVER SEEN ANY IN MY YARD. I HOPE THEY AREN'T THINKING THAT "MY" CATS ARE A SNACK. NOBODY IS IN THE SUN ROOM RIGHT NOW. I'LL BE WAITING TIL AFTER WORK TO SEE IF EVERYONE OK. I HAVE CONCERNS FOR JOSIE'S LITERMATE - SHE IS SO SMALL (BUT QUICK). BETWEEN COYOTES AND COLD - NOT GOOD OPTIONS RIGHT NOW. JOYCE

Josie spent 6 weeks on antibiotics. And had 2 rounds of panacur and the tapeworm drug which I can't remember the name now. Josie also has GAS!

Hmmm, 6 wks on antibiotics would certainly be enough to kill off the "good" bacteria in her intestinal tract. How about some plain yogurt (with active cultures) mixed with baby food? That's what my vet suggested for Rocco, who's also been on an antibiotic for a while and who was also, ahem, gassy!

The coyotes are not good news for the cats. :sad: Do you have any wildlife rehabilitators in the area who would have large traps? I'm wondering if they might know whether it's OK to trap and relocate coyotes. Or does that just create a vacuum effect like with feral cats and new ones will move in?

Hey Kim, thanks for the suggestion on the yougurt/baby food. I did try just yougurt (ok, it was flavored but that never stopped tuscany!). Josie wasn't interested in it. I haven't seen any of her "poops" the last few days. I've been using the metronadazole since Tues pm. I certainly still smell the gas - we almost had to leave the room last night....She is still running around, eating like a horse and seems fine..

Coyotes - wow. I not sure what to think about them. There are all sorts of urban legends around here about them. We are a northern suburb of Detroit - it starts getting rural beyond us here. There have been rumors that the coyotes were purposely introduced down here cause our deer population is so large. They have hired professional hunters to cull the herds in several of the metro parks around Detroit. I don't know if I believe that they were brought here for that purpose but none the less, here they are. We did see one about 1 mile away about 5 years ago, the neighbor saw one in her back yard about 3 years ago. I have heard them at night but sounding very far away. I don't know if our very cold weather had them moving from their usual place or what.

There is also rumor that you can kill coyotes in Michigan - that their is a bounty on them. My husband is going to see if he can find anything out about that. Trapping them - well that's an interesting thought - if you kept seeing them. I am hoping (yes, head in sand syndrome) that they were just checking it out and moving on. I will keep my eyes open and hope my little feral colony does ok. Now my mantra to Mama when I let her out is "and no red birdies and you run fast up a tree if you see a coyote"

Wee has slept inside the last 3 nights! Even managed to have 3 cats sleeping in bed with us most of one night. How quickly the king size bed shrunk! I keep showing her litter boxes. I just hope she knows what to do with them! I'm going around the house sniffing.....

Stay warm, Joyce