Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Laura IMOM

My Twinkle~TTLSE 12/13/04

21 posts in this topic

Copied from old forum 7/23/06

My Twinkle….

Left me a year ago today, he was only about a year or two old.

I had started volunteering at a free roam cat shelter in the spring of 2004, I would go down on Saturday’s to clean the shelter and give the cats much needed attention. On my second visit, one of the other shelter workers came in to take pictures of a cat that was very friendly, young and healthy to put on pet finder. Here is that picture.

[attachmentid=48]

I vividly remember her chasing “Twinkle” all over the shelter; he was quite spirited and wouldn’t sit still. I noticed the “twinkle” in his eyes, he was just your typical tabby, but somehow unique and instantly special to me. I didn’t know why, but there was just something about this fellow. He finally jumped up on a bookcase, posed and I remember hearing the volunteer say, “got it, that’s a good one”!!! And it was…..I went up and petted him for being a good boy, he sat still for me…

Ever since that day, every time I would go clean at the shelter, Twinkle and I would play. He would follow me around, jump up on the crates and swat at my pony tail. When I cleaned out the empty cages, I would turn around to get water or something, and he would sneak in the cage I was working on. I would turn back around and have to pull him out so I could keep cleaning, he was such a silly boy.

Many times when I would wash things in the double sink, he would tightrope walk across the edge or basin divider just to give me a kiss on the face. He loved to rub faces with me, as I love to do it with him. He had the most incredible eyes, the eyes of an old soul, I always felt like he could see right into my heart with those eyes…..

I didn’t adopt him from the shelter because I thought there was a foster home in the works for him, I had also just adopted a really shy impossible to place kitty from that shelter. Twinkle was happy there, and doing fine, despite the overcrowded, dirty conditions. He was so friendly, I hoped that he would find his forever family soon. But things did not work out that way, by fall of that year Twinkle had developed a nasty eye infection and was hiding from me during the visits. He would go on top of the high kennels way out of my reach.

I begged the shelter owner to get him to a vet, and take care of him but she didn’t. I was quickly getting to the point of taking him myself, but then it started to look better. I assumed at that point the shelter owner was treating him for the infection.

Then one day in the end of November I stayed until feeding time for the cats. Twinkle’s eye was looking better, but when he jumped down for food, I saw that he had lost a tremendous amount of weight and was nothing but skin and bones. I was shocked, I couldn’t tell before because he was still hanging out on top of the high kennels when I was there cleaning. I cried all the way home that day, and talked to my husband about him that night. We agreed that I should go get Twinkle.

I picked him up the following day which was a Sunday, and brought him to the vet on Monday. The vet did a combo test on Twinkle, although he was living with the general population at the shelter, he should have been negative. He was positive for FeLV.

So, I bought him home and set up a room for him, even went out and got a human bed so we could lay on it and watch “the tube” together. I was going to get him well again, and he could live with me in his own room. But it wasn’t meant to be.

Twinkle developed FIP, his belly filled with fluid only days after bringing him home. I knew at that point his time would be short. So I spent every moment I could with him, he even sat in my lap as I addressed Christmas cards last year. He would lay up against me, between my arm and my side, put his head on my shoulder and let out this huge sigh…I can still hear it, it was beautiful…he sounded so content.

I had him PTS just 2 short weeks after I brought him home, he had gone downhill so fast. He was my heart, I’ve never loved an animal the way I loved Twinkle and don’t think I ever will again.

During the two weeks that Twinkle spent with me I started a thread on IMOM, I posted lots of little details about him, and chronicled my time with him. Everyone at IMOM was so wonderful and supportive of us, it really broke my heart when that thread was lost in the hacker attack. I don’t want him forgotten, ever, this is the reason why I wrote this, and hopefully it will stay, and people will read about a little shelter cat that meant the world to one person.

I feel lucky to have experienced what I did with Twinkle, and I know that most of you know what I mean, when I looked in Twinkles eyes, he really looked back at me, it was as if he could see right into my soul, and I felt like he loved me as much as I loved him.

I feel like I lost him just yesterday and at the same time, feel like it was a lifetime ago.

Till we meet again my sweet boy, I will always love you and never ever forget you…you live on in my heart and in my dreams.

Twinkle, twinkle, little star,

How I wonder what you are.

Up above the world so high,

Like a diamond in the sky.

When the blazing sun is gone,

When he nothing shines upon,

Then you show your little light,

Twinkle, twinkle, all the night.

Then the traveler in the dark

Thanks you for your tiny spark;

He could not see which way to go,

If you did not twinkle so.

post-7-1153704890_thumb.jpg

Edited by Laura IMOM

Kim

Local user

(12/13/05 1:06 pm)

Reply | Edit | Del Re: My Twinkle~TTLSE 12/13/04

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tears streaming...... Your post was so beautiful, Laura.

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

people will read about a little shelter cat that meant the world to one person.

And vice versa. I know it really bothers you to think about the time he spent at that shelter, but Twinkle did find his person. If you don't think those moments with you at the shelter, and then those 2 special weeks at your house didn't make a huge difference to Twinkle's world, think again my friend.

Juli IMOM

Board of Directors

(12/13/05 1:28 pm)

Reply | Edit | Del Twinkle

Oh Laura, you got me too -- tears falling here in Georgia for the love you had for Twinkle and vise versa. I wish that you would have had much more time together here on Earth. You will see him again...with that special twinkle in his eyes. Thank you for sharing him with us. I will never forget him, ever.

Juli

Judy Leathers

(12/13/05 2:40 pm)

Reply | Edit | Del Re: Twinkle

Laura, thanks to you Twinkle was able to be "special" to many people. I for one was touched by him.

He may have been a shelter cat but when it matter most he had a forever home with a Mom and Dad that totally loved him. He was happy and content and that is what he remembered.

He was meant to be with you...I will light a candle tonight in honor of you and Twinkle... , Judy

Kim

Local user

(12/13/05 4:38 pm)

Quote:

He may have been a shelter cat but when it matter most he had a forever home with a Mom and Dad that totally loved him. He was happy and content and that is what he remembered.

Right on, Judy.

Linda IMOM

Committee Volunteer

(12/13/05 8:44 pm)

Reply | Edit | Del

Re: Twinkle

Laura - that was so beautiful. Honoring TTLS's bridge day with you. He was something very special.

Collie Hugs - Linda aka ellgee

Please click below to visit my furbabies

community.webshots.com/album/134598199QrXRlg

Please visit Monty's memorial page

www.svcsr.org/notforgot/monty.htm

Although I can't seem to make this "clickable" heres Monty's IMOM forum when he was a PINkid

EzCode Parsing Error:=p088.ezboard.com/fimomcommunityfrm3.showMessage?topicID=88.topic[http://p088.ezboard.com/fimomcommunityfrm3.showMessage?topicID=88.topic[/link]

smalk50

(12/14/05 12:12 am)

Reply | Edit | Del Twinkle

Laura,

What a beautiful post about a beautiful creature and the special bond that you all had together.

Quote:

I don’t want him forgotten, ever, this is the reason why I wrote this, and hopefully it will stay, and people will read about a little shelter cat that meant the world to one person.

Those of us who were fortunate enough to get to know Twinkle through your posts and stories about him will never forget him Laura. And he will shine on forever in the night sky.

I had written to Laura about my last trip to New Orleans and that I had found up on my mantlepiece, a greeting card that had Twinkle's picture on it. She thinks that Twinkle had a hand (or paw) in keeping the 5 miracle cats safe until I could get back home to get them. I think so too.

Thanks for posting about Twinkle - he will never be forgotten!

Chris

Antares and his mommy

(12/14/05 8:12 pm)

Reply | Edit | Del

Laura, what a beautiful post! What a beautiful boy! He was only in your life for a little bit, but he left such an imprint in your heart.

Quote:

He had the most incredible eyes, the eyes of an old soul, I always felt like he could see right into my heart with those eyes…..

When he left you, he had a memory to bring with him at Rainbow Bridge: the love that you gave him.

from Aline & angel Antares

paulajmnj

(12/14/05 8:24 pm)

Laura,

so beautiful--thank you for giving him a loving home--to him when he looked at you he saw an it's not how many days but how we live each day ......

p

k9sign

(12/14/05 11:45 pm)

Twinkle will always, and has always, had a place in my heart.

Thank you for such a heart tugging post.

mareanteasin

(12/16/05 2:42 am)

Reply | Edit | Del

Hugs to you Twinkle at RB...may you be frolicking there.

Such stunning photos...beautiful in life, and beautiful, we know, at RB.

Precious and Marea

Edited by: mareanteasin at: 12/16/05 2:44 am

Laura imom

Committee Volunteer

(12/16/05 10:03 am)

Reply | Edit | Del

Re: My Twinkle~TTLSE 12/13/04

Thanks so much everyone for the heartfelt comments. I know that most of you were here and so incredibly supportive when I went through this with Twinkle.

It's means allot to me that people are reading about him and thinking about him. I am so afraid that my memories of him will fade, so as I think about things I am going to post them to his thread. He was such a neat kitty.

I used to make sure all his favorite spots were very clean, and sometimes would have to move him while I was cleaning. One time I pulled him from one of the windowsills (he loved to sit in the windows)and as I was swinging him around, he managed to grab the standing floor fan cage with his claws. I had both hands wrapped around his chest and so I couldn't use them to get him loose. He was heavy and a very long cat, and I can still vividly remember the feel of him in my hands. Finally managed to wriggle him loose, put him down on the floor and he promptly jumped back up on the window sill...silly boy, I ended up just cleaning around him.

One of the strange things about Twinkle when I first met him was how familiar he was to me. From the first time I laid eyes on him I felt like I had known him all my life, and then some. It was very special.

Thanks again everyone for helping me keep his memory alive, although I still miss him terribly, I think I'm just a little bit closer to smiling when I talk about him instead of crying.

Laura

Juli IMOM

Board of Directors

(12/20/05 7:00 pm)

Reply | Edit | Del Wow

Quote:

Twinkle had a hand (or paw) in keeping the 5 miracle cats safe until I could get back home to get them.

Twinkle is a very busy guardian angel.

Laura imom

Committee Volunteer

(12/25/05 3:03 am)

Reply | Edit | Del

Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas little boy...you are very missed. I never got to spend a Christmas with you, but if I had I would have spoiled you with toys and treats. I hope that you, Stripeman, Kitty and Emma, are all togther at the bridge, and that I will see you again someday.

All my love to you kitties...

Diana S IMOM

Board of Directors

(12/25/05 3:18 am)

Reply | Edit | Del

Re: Merry Christmas

Laura,

What a beautiful post. It has tears streaming down my face. I'm sorry I missed his Bridge day - you two had such a strong unbelievable bond!! I know he'll be waiting for his special rescuer, special mom, at the Bridge with Stripeman, Kitty, and Emma.

BRIAN

Unregistered User

(12/29/05 11:31 am)

Reply | Edit | Del TO: LAURA, RE: TWINKLE

HI LAURA, I,AM SO SORRY ABOUT TWINKLE TWINKLE IS IN ALOT OF GOOD COMPANY UP THEIR

AT THE BRIDGE, WITH ALL OUR KITTIES

YOU ARE IN MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS LAURA !

YOUR RIGHT ABOUT TWINKLES EYES! I CAN SEE THAT

TOO !!!!, IN THE PECTURES YOU HAVE OF HIM

HE WAS AND STILL IS A VERY SPECIAL KITTY, ONE IN A MILLION !!!!.

AGAIN LAURA I, AM VERY SORRY

JeanKBBMMMAA

(12/29/05 10:31 pm)

Reply | Edit | Del Re: TO: LAURA, RE: TWINKLE

Wow, Laura that was really beautiful. You should post that on that FIP site...

His pictures when he was sick look so much like Mikko when he was sick.

It's still a shock to think of how quickly this disease progresses, and steals them from us. I will always appreciate the help you gave me so soon after you lost Twinkle.

Diana S IMOM

Board of Directors

(12/31/05 12:48 pm)

Reply | Edit | Del

Re: TO: LAURA, RE: TWINKLE

Laura,

I thought you might find this info on FIP interesting - though it's probably something you already know.

p069.ezboard.com/fhealthforumfordogsandcatsfrm17.showMessage?topicID=36.topic

Today marks two years that you've been gone from my life, yet I can still feel your presence with me every single day. My love for you will never fade Twinkle, and someday I will see you again. :heart:

Ah Laura...sweet Twinkle...what more can I say...just reading your post that 2 yrs has passed since Twinkle went to the Bridge brought a whole flood of tears to my eyes...

Again, I will light a candle in his honor tonight...Extra Hugs, Judy

Seems like just yesterday you brought Twinkle home from the shelter with hopes of nursing him back to good health. It wasn't meant to be. You did give him a home and lots of love and for that I know he is thankful. I remember the stories of Twinkle helping you clean at the shelter, how he would jump up on things to watch. You two had a special bond. No doubt he'll be waiting for you at the Bridge. May you have happy memories of Twinkle today on his anniversary.

IPB Image

Laura, such a beautiful but sad story. I know Twinkle is playing with all our furbabies at the Rainbow Bridge, and I know that the love you gave him at the shelter & in your home is being remembered by him always!

I remember you posted the words to TTLS. I don't think I knew there was more than the one verse:

How I wonder what you are!

Up above the world so high,

Like a diamond in the sky.

When the blazing sun is gone,

When he nothing shines upon,

Then you show your little light,

Twinkle, twinkle, all the night.

Then the traveller in the dark,

Thanks you for your tiny spark,

He could not see which way to go,

If you did not twinkle so.

In the dark blue sky you keep,

And often through my curtains peep,

For you never shut your eye,

Till the sun is in the sky.

As your bright and tiny spark,

Lights the traveller in the dark,—

Though I know not what you are,

Twinkle, twinkle, little star.

Twinkle is a bright spark, and is remembered. :animcnda_lg:

One look at those eyes... Of course you have a little orange foster failure. We'll be lighting a candle at home for Twinkle. It's interesting that his anniversary lands on the night of the biggest meteor showers of the year. I think they are called Geminid showers that will happen tonight and tomorrow morning. They cross the sky more slowly than the August Perseid showers giving you time to breath them in, fall in love, and wish they could stay longer. Twinkle, we'll be thinking about you and your loving ma!

:heart:

Martha Jane and Crew

Oh Wow...Laura, I remember you mentioning that Merlyn was at RB with Twinkle. I didn't know Twinkle then but I feel as if I do now. I have been avoiding Merly's In Loving Memory thread because it is just too painful. So what do I do? I go to Twinkles thread and cry. He sounds like he was a very special boy Laura. I am so glad you were able to share the end of his life together.

when I looked in Twinkles eyes, he really looked back at me, it was as if he could see right into my soul, and I felt like he loved me as much as I loved him.

This is how I felt about Merlyn. He had the most expressive eyes and he would gaze at me so lovingly and he would be purring...even tho I wasn't touching him. I miss him so much.

although I still miss him terribly, I think I'm just a little bit closer to smiling when I talk about him instead of crying.

You wrote that a year and 3 days following his trip to RB. I feel better now about the way I feel about losing Merlyn. I was starting to think something might be "wrong" with me. I will be happy when I am able to smile instead of breaking into uncontrolable tears.

Thanks for sharing Twinkle's story. I find comfort in the fact that Twinkle and Merlyn are together at RB. Two very sweet boys who were very much loved by their furmoms.

Big Hugs Laura

Lynette

Hi Lynette,

Thank you so much for taking the time to read Twinkles' story, and write to us. It's still a bit painful for me to read his thread, he was truly my "heart" cat. I loved him fiercely, and feel he loved me as well. Such a sweet, gentle, funny boy. I was so filled with hope when I brought him home from the shelter, and so devastated when we got the bad news on his health. Then to say goodbye two short weeks later :sad:

but...it's not how long you spend with a pet, but how intensely you feel for each other. I do wish we had more time though.

It sounds like you feel much the same about your sweet boy, I think Merlyn was your "heart" cat.

Know that we think about you all the time, and hope that Twinkle and Merlyn are together, hanging out, having a good old time, I think they would be good friends.

:hugs

Laura

I read what Lynette wrote, and teared up for both Twinkle and Merlyn. I also read again what Kay posted--the full TTLS. OK, that really started the tears flowing, I could barely get thru it.

I remember Twinkle very well. I remember looking out the window that night and seeing this star twinkling it's butt off--I knew it was Twinkle!

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Laura}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

and

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Lynette}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

I cannot believe that you have been gone three years today....I still think about you every single day, and miss you more than words can say. Sleep in the light, precious one. :heart:

Laura - TTLS touched me so. I know how much you helped him and so sadly, he had to go on to RB. He was so fascinating, I loved his handsome face. I know how much you miss him.

Honoring Twinkle's Bridge day. He was so special.

Laura, none of our furry ones stay with us long enough, but I am so sorry that Twinkle wasn't able to be with you longer - but he's in your heart and you are in his -- please give Rusty an extra special hug for I believe Twinkle sent him into your care just as my beloved Trillby send me little Mugs.

Oh, Laura, I am so sad for u. I know how hard losing Twinkle was...and still is.

When I read ur post, I stopped and went to the window. It's cloudy, so no stars. Then I turned the bedroom light off and looked again for awhile--there it was --one little twinkly star. I know who it was from. I hope u saw it too.

Hugs

Laura, it is clear how much you love your Twinkle, and I'm so sorry he left for the Bridge too soon. Of course, it is always too soon when our loved ones leave us. I know that the time you had together was incredibly special for you both, and in spite of my sadness that he was with you for such a short amount of time, I know it was filled with so much love.

I cannot believe that you have been gone three years today....I still think about you every single day, and miss you more than words can say. Sleep in the light, precious one. :heart:

:magicmoon: Laura .... we always miss them but remember they aren't too far from our hearts.

Dear Laura, forgive me for not writing sooner, but every time I came to Twinkle's thread to write I just ended up crying...Twinkle truly touched my heart and I am feeling extra sentimental right now...Please know that Twinkle was a special kitty and because of you we all got to share...he was with you for a reason and that was to make sure that he was loved and cared for when he needed it most. THANK YOU for doing that. Hugs, Judy

Laura, they say time heals everything, as true as that may be. We will always have a hole in our heart for a lost furry one. Twinkle was a very special kitty...

Thank you all for stopping by and writing such kind things. Twinkle's passing was incredibly sad to me since his life was so very short. I feel he lives on in my heart, and with those of you here, that remember him and his story. Thank you all for taking a moment to remember a very sweet little tabby boy on his bridge day. :heart: