Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Dawn IMOM

Ginger needs emergency surgery for intussusception

37 posts in this topic

Surgery will be starting soon. The Veterinarian came in to speak with me. They are hydrating Ginger and will give her Ativan (I think). My phone is almost dead but I had them bring her to me so I could give her some kisses before going back. Here are a couple pics, so skinny.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

So I have made several phone calls since leaving ginger after spending four hours at the vet with her.  I posted an update right before I left with some pictures I took of her before leaving but I don't see them on this post so somehow it didn't take .  Anyways, with the phone calls I was making, there were four options according to the recording. The first option was for hours and directions, the second option was for an emergency, the third option  was to speak to a representative, the fourth option was to speak to a manager.   When I selected the second option, I would get a pre-recorded message  advising anyone with an emergency situation to just bring their animal to the hospital, no option to leave a voicemail .  So I tried the third and fourth option and got the exact same message with no option to leave a voicemail. This cycle has happened every time I called,  this cycle has happened every time I called  strangers but around 12:30 AM I finally got the option to leave a voicemail by selecting option number four.  I left a voicemail but then I kept calling back because at this point, I have been going crazy not knowing how she is doing.  Eventually someone answered and I explain to them the dilemma is I have been having trying to reach a live person.  They explained that if there is another caller on the other line, you will not get an option to leave a voicemail, and he will only hear the pre-recorded message. 

Now for the update on Ginger: As of 12:52am, she hasn't even had her surgery!!!  They said there has only been one veterinarian there and from a medical standpoint, Ginger has been less critical than the animals that have been operated on. I don't know what is wrong with the other animals but I did say to them in a nice way "Really? It's my understanding that at any moment her bowels could perforate into her abdomen  and at that point she could become septic,  and we have been there since sometime in the 1 o'clock hour almost 12 hours ago,  so the vet has been doing surgeries more critical since then?" And it sounds like Ginger needed a certain amount of hours to pre-hydrate with IV fluids plus try needed to do their own blood tests since her regular vet is not in office today to fax over any records and by the time they completed that, several other critical animals came in and although Ginger is in a critical situation, at the moment the others came in, she was "stable" so they had to triage her at a lesser priority. I can only guess things that would be more important would be like animals who got hit by cars or shot or maybe in house fires or something. I hope all of the animals who go there today are saved, but I can't help but be partial to my Ginger. This is one of the only places I know in the area that offers emergency surgeries and it just so happens that Gonger arrived on an incredibly busy day. Thank you all again for your generosity and I will continue to post updates on Ginger's Status.  I did ask them if they anticipated she would be having surgery tonight and she said yes so I asked her to please call me the moment they have updates no matter what time it is tonight and if they don't have any updates by the time her shift and, to please convey that message to the oncoming staff that I am anxiously awaiting some news some m I asked her to please call me the moment they have updates no matter what time it is tonight and if they don't have any updates by the time her shift and, to please convey that message to the oncoming staff that I am anxiously awaiting some news. They did say despite Ginger attempting to drink at home, she was very dehydrated and seemed to perk up a little with IV hydration because she hasn't been able to properly absorb what she was taking through the oral route so they are trying to keep her comfortable while she waits. Here is a photo of 3 of her babies. They are anxiously awaiting Mommy's return and seem to have been looking for her. 

image.jpeg

Melissa -

When you call the vet, press option #2 and then just hold.  They will pick up after a bit.  Don't hang up after the message. 

Hoping for good news this morning.

UPDATE:

Ginger's surgery is complete!!!! You guys did it! You SAVED her! Through your generosity, you have spared her life and I thank you all a million times over and from the very very very bottom of my heart!!!!  May all of you AND all of your pets be blessed, and for those who aren't, may we continue to saw as many as possible.

I did not have the money to pay for Ginger's surgery  all at once or by myself but a group of people came together and not only saved a life, but recruited a new warrior as well! The cause is great and I want to be part of it!  Every contribution counts and I vowel to help you help others because I know first hand how life changing every dollar can be... Thank you all! More updates and pics to come!

Oh, I am so relieved! That's such great news that Ginger had her surgery finally and pulled through OK. I am sending good thoughts for her continued recovery.

Tracy, Dallas, Phoenix, and Cody in spirit

Hello Angels. Ginger did not get to come home today (it's late as I post this because I am working the night shift, 1:25 am) but she is doing well and eating and drinking! She is still slow and sore and still hooked to an IV and likely will not get to come home until Wednesday but the fact of the matter is she gets to come home at SOME point and that is the miracle that all of you helped provide! 

GINGER GETS TO COME HOME TODAY!!

We went to visit her yesterday evening. We smuggled her in a piece of chicken nugget and she nearly  bit my finger off trying to get it.  We saw a little bag of dry cat food on the counter so I gave her a little handful of that And despite the little come on her face she inhaled that too.  When we left,  I made the vet tech promise to feed her right away. I explained that I understand they do not want to overdo it after surgery,  but to have her at that level of hunger  it's too much.  They promised to  Feed her right away and then we came home and within two hours, they called me to tell me she had a bowel movement and was able to come home.  My little one was already in bed by that time  so now we are ready to go pick her up and I know she is more than willing to come home !

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Glad Ginger is coming home.  I'm sure she is happy about this.  It's great that she is hungry.  Congrats for her recovery. 

Ginger is doing FANTASTIC!!

When she was on her way home a few days ago, she wasn't acting at all like herself and she was several days post-op so I was worried thather personality had been permanently changed from al of the fear and trauma but as soon as she came inside, she immediately started grooming her babies. Then she ate a whole can of cat food! Now I'm watching her sleep on the dining room chair across from me, and I continue to be so thankful for all of the help and donations and volunteer time it took to save her life. She is comfortable and happy and has no idea she could be buried in the back yard right now if not for so many people helping to rescue her from her life-threatening intussusception. From the bottom of my heart, thank you all so very very much!!

Sitting at work tonight during my break, reflecting on how fortunate and blessed my family was to receive the funds from IMOM community members to save Ginger's life. It's something that I can't express enough gratitude for. As I logged in, I noticed IMOM is permanately closed down,  which makes me feel all the more fortunate  to have found it when I did.  Closed down or not,   I wanted to make a visit   to remind the supporters  that I will forever be grateful for everything you have done for Ginger and our family.  I will never forget the generosity!  Ginger is doing fantastic and without you all,  it's not even a question that her young life would have ended.  IMOM has been a true blessing and I thank you all for  not only the help you have given me, but the help that you have given so many others through all of your years of service. Blessings to all of you!!!