Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Jamie K. - IMOM

Multiple Cats in 2 Feral Colonies Need to be Be Spayed/Neutered

138 posts in this topic

Judy, how awesome that you have a heated cat house for your feral kitty! It is hard to see one injured and not be able to just pick it up, put it in a carrier and take to the vet! I haven't given up hope of trapping Fluffy Marie LeVeaux yet to get her wound treated but if I can't I will ask my vet to give me some antibiotics to put in her food. The only problem with that is keeping the other cats from eating it. 

Poor Tadpole was so upset this morning! I would've taken his pic like I've done with the others but I was in a hurry to get him to the vet! He flipped & flopped & yoweled the whole way to the vet and he clawed the towel that was covering him into the trap with him! I thought he had calmed down when I picked him up from vet & was petting him through the trap (he's never let me touch him before) but then he bit me! & he was trying to push the door open on the trap to escape! So no pics! He did better on the ride back though and didn't just dart off when I released him. Sally & Fluffy were right there to greet him & welcome him back home. I had put the trap in my trunk & gotten back in my car to leave when I saw Bubba come out to eat so I decided to take a cat carrier over to just try to get him in it! I really didn't think I would because I've tried many times before! But prayers were answered! I am so relieved to have that colony completely spayed/neutered! Now I have to finish TNR with colony #2! Thank you all again so very much!!!

8 hours ago, Brinson ferals said:

Poor Tadpole was so upset this morning! I would've taken his pic like I've done with the others but I was in a hurry to get him to the vet! He flipped & flopped & yoweled the whole way to the vet and he clawed the towel that was covering him into the trap with him! I thought he had calmed down when I picked him up from vet & was petting him through the trap (he's never let me touch him before) but then he bit me! & he was trying to push the door open on the trap to escape! So no pics! He did better on the ride back though and didn't just dart off when I released him. Sally & Fluffy were right there to greet him & welcome him back home. I had put the trap in my trunk & gotten back in my car to leave when I saw Bubba come out to eat so I decided to take a cat carrier over to just try to get him in it! I really didn't think I would because I've tried many times before! But prayers were answered! I am so relieved to have that colony completely spayed/neutered! Now I have to finish TNR with colony #2! Thank you all again so very much!!!

Are you saying Bubba is at the vet now for his big snip?  Maybe he was jealous that Tadpole got to go for a ride with you and he never had.

Have you been vaccinated for rabies?  We've had some lively discussions at the shelter about whether to get pre vaccinated, especially for those involved with TNR or transporting of the injured wild animals to the sanctuaries that help them.  

lol! Yes Bubba is @ the vet for his snip & tip (ear that is). Yes maybe he wanted to see what Tadpole had been up to! 

Since doing TNR and because I live next to a wildlife refuge and have encountered a few wild animals over the years along with numerous lost or dumped dogs; I have definitely considered being rabies vaccinated but I have not been as of yet. 

I released Bubba. I had put food out before I opened the crate & he stopped for a minute to sniff it but then thought about how mad he was & ran off. Fluffy was there to greet us but she didn't stay long when she saw me with the crate. 

Has Bubba forgiven you yet? :)

I've been thinking about colony 2.  Is there any chance some of the new drop offs were spayed or neutered before being abandoned?

We can only hope.

Any trappings scheduled?

I haven't seen Bubba since Saturday when I released him. Maybe today? Tabby, Fluffy & Sally were there yesterday. 

I really doubt that any of the drop offs were already spayed/neutered (I know the 2 girls I TNRd 2 weeks ago weren't 😸) but I am starting to wonder if the others I was seeing & counted were males that were there because the girls were in heat & maybe they are neighborhood cats or ferals from another colony just passing through??? Also the last time I saw the "quarter tail fuzzy black" he/she was close to a new business that's next to where the colony lives. He/she was eating something like a French fry or chicken strip? Maybe somebody left it out for them? Maybe some of them have found a new food source? I will keep checking and leaving food for them in the normal place. Maybe the regulars are just laying low with all the new traffic & people at the new business? One day last week after I left food for them I had to leave to run an errand but I came back by shortly after that & the food was mostly eaten so somebody had been there. I've never really had a specific time to feed them as I know I should but they have always been there waiting or shown up soon after I put food out. Maybe some of the drop offs were males and they have gone off to find mates or established their own territory close by?

My vet is closed Mondays & Tuesdays so I'm planning to trap again Wednesday - Saturday. I have an open appointment with the vet whenever I trap one I can take it in. 

Those "just passing through" neighborhood males that aren't neutered are the biggest problem to controlling the population explosion. What does your state law require if you happen to trap them?  Can they be neutered if they aren't microchipped or identified as owned?  

Bubba's neutering alone will have an impact.  And Tadpole too.  A very successful week.   Keep up the good work, and keep us posted.

Yes I agree that those roaming are a huge problem but I did include all that I had seen there in the number when I asked IMOM for donations because I wasn't sure if they were permanent or not but I do have every intention of doing TNR on any and all that are not wearing a collar &/or microchipped! I've only read about a law on trapping and removing an animal from where it was trapped (as in a hateful neighbor trapping a cat & dumping/releasing it somewhere else not in its neighborhood). I'm not sure about mistakenly spaying & neutering lost or roaming pets. I have looked but couldn't find any law against it. Maybe I should be more concerned about it but people shouldn't let their pets roam, especially unaltered. There are worse things that can happen than to be TNRd with feral cats. 

Thank you CatPaws! I am so relieved to have TNR'd 2 males (tadpole & bubba) and 2 females (Shelly & Sheba) in the past 2 weeks! I hope this week is just as successful!

Bubba is with colony 2 again today. Which is across a very busy road from colony 1 but he has been back & forth frequently this year. He let me pet him but then he slapped my hand so I guess not all is forgiven! lol! The quarter tail fuzzy came to eat & Bubba was sniffing her so I assume it's a girl. I hope to trap her tomorrow. One or 2 other black cats came to eat also. I'm pretty sure it was Shelly & Sheba but it may have been only one of them. They weren't in the same place at once. Tadpole, Sally & Fluffy Marie LeVeaux all doing fine! 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I've tried to upload video several times of me petting Bubba & him slapping my hand but I guess the file is too large. It's pretty comical. He's rolling around & then he comes a little closer & rolls around some more in between my petting. Then like lightening he slaps my hand! He didn't hurt me or break the skin. I guess he's just letting me know he hasn't forgotten! 

This is Black Bob! He was one of the first that I TNR'd 2 years ago. He & Callie (a beautiful friendly calico) were colony #2 but Callie disappeared a few months after I TNR'd her. Bob had been alone since then until the 5 new black drop offs & the Siamese & the others that I guess have come since the girls were in heat. Bob was wild and wouldn't let me get close until a few weeks after I TNR'd him! Since then he has been a love bug! He walks circles around my feet rubbing my legs ignoring the food until he gets enough love pats. A few times I've started to walk away before he was ready & he slapped my leg lol! He's so funny! He is a big beautiful barrel on stilts! He wags his nub tail I think when he is happy or when he's looking around thinking about something. 

I was heartbroken when Callie disappeared. I asked the manager & employees @ that business if they had seen her or knew if something had happened to her. I drove around the streets & neighborhoods close by for days looking for her & calling her. I checked the local shelters. I had people post on Facebook & I even put up flyers. I can only hope that someone took her to give her a loving home because she was so beautiful & friendly. image.jpeg 

Edited by Brinson ferals
Spelling

Cheering on the trapping of "quarter tail".  With a little bit of luck "she" wasn't in heat when all the extra cats (assuming males) were wandering through.  Tell Bubba his baby making days are behind him- pick one colony or the other, and stay away from the road.

Better yet, quarter tail turns out to be a male.

Good Luck with trapping.

Karen, I wanted to let you know that I've been reading all your posts and enjoying the photos...all the kitties look GOOD and it's so nice getting to know them...THANK YOU...

I too wish you good luck trapping today...it's SO frustrating when they won't co-operate, isn't it? BUT, that's just what cats are all about...they sure do things their way...

looking forward to hearing how today went for you and the kitties...

Thank you CatPaws! Yes I'm hoping to trap "QT" & the Siamese next for sure! & yes hoping neither of them were in heat or are pregnant & possibly males! Bubba is with colony 2 again today. I hear him long before I see him because he's very vocal & lets me know he's there & coming to me! I've already told him that he's done making babies & to pick a colony & stay off the road! I had to feed him away from the trap (not that he would get in it). As I am writing this the Siamese came & was eating where I fed Bubba so I picked up the food that was left & added some of it to the sardines in the trap & a few minutes later the Siamese went in!!!  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Something is wrong with the siamese's tail. I've never been able to see it up close & couldn't tell through the trap but it may have been caught in a car fan belt or something? (It's not like the black fuzzies' tails that seems to be a genetic thing. There was a BIG fuzzy quarter tail too but I haven't seen it lately). On the Siamese, it looks like there was an accident of some kind with only part of the bone left. The Fuzzies have hair on their tails; Siamese doesn't. I just went back to colony 2 to leave food & saw Shelly running away. I wasn't able to trap any more today after I got the Siamese. My other big trap needs work. I caught QT the first day when I trapped Shelly & it got out! & when I trapped Tadpole in it he almost got out! So I'm not using it again until I can get it worked on! All well @ Colony 1: Fluffy Marie LeVeaux, Sally, & Tadpole! As horrible as it sounds I love seeing their little ears tipped! That means success to me & a safety net for them for the local shelter to know they are my ferals & TNR'd & not part of the problem! 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

As I was typing the last post I saw Fluffy sitting in front of my car & I was watching her body language & I knew she hadn't had time to finish eating so I got out to go see if there were raccoons eating their food (as they sometimes do) & I saw a grey tabby running into the woods. I don't think it was Bubba because he doesn't run from me & I know it wasn't tadpole because he was close by & came back to eat with Fluffy when that cat ran off. Awhile back one of the employees said she saw another grey tabby but I assumed she was confused & talking about Bubba. It may be the mother of the kitten that I caught from here a few weeks ago (although I still think it was dumped & not feral) but maybe the mother & kitten were dumped. Or it could be another roaming male. I don't know! I shouldn't try to figure these things out because it drives me nuts! 

Yes definitely another cat & not Bubba! I stayed & put out more food & out close to the trees & here it is! That may be where Fluffy Marie LeVeaux's neck wound came from! 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

23 hours ago, Judy said:

Karen, I wanted to let you know that I've been reading all your posts and enjoying the photos...all the kitties look GOOD and it's so nice getting to know them...THANK YOU...

I too wish you good luck trapping today...it's SO frustrating when they won't co-operate, isn't it? BUT, that's just what cats are all about...they sure do things their way...

looking forward to hearing how today went for you and the kitties...

Hi Judy! I replied to your post yesterday but I don't see it on here! I don't know what happened to it! maybe in my excitement of seeing & trapping the Siamese I forgot to send it? Anyway! Thank you for reading my posts, enjoying my pics & enjoying getting to know the kitties! Thank you for the well wishes! It worked! But yes it is frustrating when they don't cooperate! Sometimes I think they know when I have the trap in the car before I even get there so they stay hidden! Planning to trap again today! Hope to get quarter tail "QT" black fluffy! 

Hi Karen, Your posts are all there, they are just on previous pages.  So glad you caught the Siamese and the injured tail can be looked at by the vet.  I'm assuming you now know whether it is male or female.  GOOD CATCH!

The new cat at the edge of the woods has the facial shape of a non neutered male.  Will be interesting to find out.  

Hi CatPaws! I see my older texts on the previous pages but my text to Judy yesterday isn't there. It was similar to what I sent her this morning. But lol no worries! I'm sure it was that I forgot to press send because I was trying to take pics of Bubba & then the Siamese in the middle of typing it. 😻

The siamese is a girl! & my vet thinks she's about 6 years old as she had a "well used uterus"! 🙀 Oh my! & ewww! 😿 & yay! 😺 No more babies for that mama! I'm relieved that I caught her! Also her tail was rotten so the vet fixed that. She will need to stay an extra day at the vet clinic since she had the extra procedure. 

The new grey cat is on my list now! It will be interesting to find out if it is a male! That's really neat that you can know what it is by looking at it. 

I thought the Siamese was older & male but when I got her in the trap & in the car yesterday I thought she had a really young face but I guess my first guess was right except it wasn't a male. Lol!

5 hours ago, Brinson ferals said:

The new grey cat is on my list now! It will be interesting to find out if it is a male! That's really neat that you can know what it is by looking at it. 

Would have to have a look at the other end of the kitty to know for sure ;) but if I was a betting person (and I am), I'd bet this cat is a male.  

Relieved the pretty Siamese is getting the medical attention she needs.  I bet she is too.  Now she'll live to see some better days.

😉 lol! Yes I understand looking @ the other end to be sure! That poor baby is really not cute! Kinda scary even. I think I will name him (with love & fondness! if it is a boy) Loup Garou "Lou Garoo" (A French/Cajun/Native American legend of a swamp creature that looks like a werewolf or Bigfoot). There are also different pronunciations & spellings like Roux Garoux, Rugarou, etc.

I need a name for the Siamese. She is now a bob tailed Siamese. Any suggestions? I like Bamboo, Sienna, Mocha, NOLA, Sugar, Sheena...