Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Jamie K. - IMOM

Multiple Cats in 2 Feral Colonies Need to be Be Spayed/Neutered

138 posts in this topic

Good Evening, Karen.   

I've been reading about Bubba and how savvy he is about the traps.  How do you handle when it is time to revaccinate for rabies? 

I chuckled when I read the "slow blink" story.  The junior volunteers at the shelter where I volunteer thought I was nuts when I told them about the "slow blink" to help calm and bond with some of our new arrivals.  It was fun to see their excitement when they received the return blink.

3 minutes ago, CatPaws said:

Good Evening, Karen.   

I've been reading about Bubba and how savvy he is about the traps.  How do you handle when it is time to revaccinate for rabies? 

I chuckled when I read the "slow blink" story.  The junior volunteers at the shelter where I volunteer thought I was nuts when I told them about the "slow blink" to help calm and bond with some of our new arrivals.  It was fun to see their excitement when they received the return blink.

Hello CatPaws! I haven't tackled the revaccinations as of yet. My vet gives my ferals a 3 year rabies as she knows they are hard to retrap annually. I haven't trapped Bubba yet but I can pick him up so I'm hoping to scruff him & shove him in a crate but I will need someone to bring the crate to me and hold it as I have tried to do it alone before and he is big & strong & bad enough that he gets away from me. Also now he won't come near me when I have a trap or crate nearby. 

Oh what a wonderful lovely story about you, the shelter kitties & volunteers doing the kitty kisses! I learned that in my research that you mustn't stare at them only blink to reassure them that you are not about to pounce on them and it shows affection! Also my sister, a long time cat person, taught me to purr at them while rolling my tongue as to make the sound a mother cat does to her kittens! I can't tell you how much that has come in handy!!!

The slow blink *does* work!  Jackson Galaxy did an episode on that once, and so I tried it, and it works! :)  One of my kitties - Buttercup - was feral when I got her out of a shelter in Dec. 2002, and even though my cats are indoors, she still IS feral.  Miss "Touch Me Not."  But she loves to slow blink and do squinty eyes at me and purr and make biscuits.  

Frehley is adorable!  I love Tuxies.  I love all cats, but I'm kind of partial to LBKs and Tuxies!

Jamie

Edited by Jamie K. - IMOM

5 hours ago, Jamie K. - IMOM said:

Jamie I'm so glad that you and CatPaws know what I'm talking about with the "slow blinks"! I love your Buttercup story! How precious! Thank you for sharing! I'm also glad that I'm not alone having touch me not ferals living in my home! 

Frehley tried to eat my face off several times before I finally tamed him. I think he was the worst of the kittens & took the longest! He turned into the biggest love bug and ham! He is now a big beautiful long haired lap kitty in a loving forever home!

Sorry, what is LBKs? I will probably think duh! As soon as you tell me but I can't figure that one out! Lol!

It's wonderful you were able to tame Frehley and he's now a lap kitty!

Don't worry - when I first became involved with IMOM, I had to ask too!  LBKs are "Little Black Kitties"! :)  I have one myself - Taylor - who turned 18 years old in March.  I got him from a shelter in March of 2001.  I took this picture of him 2 or 3 years ago when he was 15 or 16.  Taylor is a real sweetie.  One of the sweetest kitties I've ever had.

And the white kitty is Buttercup - she turned 14 this past December. :)  I rarely am able to get photos of Buttercup; she's scared of the camera!  Butter's a happy kitty and well-adjusted, but do *not* try to pick her up or touch her!  She bolts and hides under furniture or somewhere!  I took this picture 6 or 7 years ago.  

Taylor 2013 or 2014.jpg

Buttercup Cropped 2.jpg

Edited by Jamie K. - IMOM

The Brinson Ferals are at ALL FUNDS RAISED!!!  IMOM is also adding a pledge of $150, making the total funds for the kitties $650!

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Thank you all *very* much! Now Karen can get a lot of the new kitties that were dumped off taken care of!  You all are amazing!

12 hours ago, Jamie K. - IMOM said:

The slow blink *does* work!  Jackson Galaxy did an episode on that once, and so I tried it, and it works! :)  One of my kitties - Buttercup - was feral when I got her out of a shelter in Dec. 2002, and even though my cats are indoors, she still IS feral.  Miss "Touch Me Not."  But she loves to slow blink and do squinty eyes at me and purr and make biscuits.  

Frehley is adorable!  I love Tuxies.  I love all cats, but I'm kind of partial to LBKs and Tuxies!

Jamie

One of mine even does the sideways head turn when he returns the blink.  The junior volunteers have been practicing this technique as well. The worried momma in me prefers they do the sideways head turn just in case there is an unexpected lunge from a frightened kitty.

Karen, for Bubba, is there any chance you could use the large pillow case technique to get him into the carrier or crate?  This is used by firefighters when they have to get animals out of a burning building... of course, with a feral you would need to have some heavy gloves on, and Bubba might not trust you again for a long, long time.  I hope you have people who can help bring the crate over to you. 

What?! This is AMAZING! I am so humbled by all of your incredible generosity! I am so encouraged by all of your stories and kind words! Words can not express how grateful I am to all of you! I sincerely appreciate every dollar and the additional funds from IMOM! Thank you to everyone who donated! I hope each of you feel wonderful knowing that you have helped these precious kitties live a healthier & happier life being spayed or neutered! You have taken a tremendous financial burden off of me that I just couldn't afford but would've done anyway because it's the right thing to do. Thank you for lifting my spirits and letting me know that I'm not alone in this mission! May God richly bless all of you for helping me! 

Jamie, Taylor and Buttercup are absolutely gorgeous! Thank you for sharing those photos and their stories! I had to laugh when I saw Buttercup! I've seen that look before! Too funny! Love it!

oh & thanks for explaining LBK! Lol! I was thinking it was something to do with black cats but just couldn't put it together! 

33 minutes ago, CatPaws said:

One of mine even does the sideways head turn when he returns the blink.  The junior volunteers have been practicing this technique as well. The worried momma in me prefers they do the sideways head turn just in case there is an unexpected lunge from a frightened kitty.

Karen, for Bubba, is there any chance you could use the large pillow case technique to get him into the carrier or crate?  This is used by firefighters when they have to get animals out of a burning building... of course, with a feral you would need to have some heavy gloves on, and Bubba might not trust you again for a long, long time.  I hope you have people who can help bring the crate over to you. 

Hello CatPaws! How precious that your kitty turns his head & blinks! I don't think I've seen that! 

Oh my! Have kitties lunged at/attacked volunteers before? Is that why you prefer them to do the sideways head turn?

I'm not sure what the pillow case technique is but it sounds interesting! I will have to check into that! Mustang Sally was very difficult to trap also but like Bubba, she would allow me to pet her head & one day I pulled up on the scruff of her neck & she didn't freak out so I did it a few more times over a couple of days and then picked her up off the ground and placed her in a crate I had turned up sitting on end with the door opened & quickly latched the door. She's much smaller than Bubba though so that's why I was able to get her by myself. She didn't trust me for awhile but she allows me to pet her again now. I also "scruffed" (I don't know if it's the right terminology for that) almost all of Fluffy Marie LeVeaux's kittens when I caught them. I've tried to use big heavy gloves before but I feel limited in my range of motion & I prefer not to wear them. I've suffered a few scratches for it but I feel more in control without wearing gloves. I can put my hands on Bubba. I've scruffed him and picked him up & held him but he is heavy & fights me when I've tried to drop him in or shove him in a crate before. Also I wanted to tell you that he has disappeared for weeks at a time over the past two years so I don't see him every day. I have thought several times that he was gone for good and would never see him again but he's been hanging around again and I'm really determined to catch him this time and get him neutered so maybe he will stay around. 

Thank you for all of the tips, suggestions, links, stories and especially your generous donations!!! I'm still crying & overwhelmed by all the funds raised and the kind and thoughtful words from everyone! I can't tell you how overwhelmed I have felt trying to figure out how to get these new kitties fixed and to get it done speedily! Now I have to get busy!!! Thank you! Thank you! thank you!

Squeeealing with delight at the sight of dancing bananas.   IMOM Angels have come through again.  I hope the LBKs and all the others can be treated soon. 

Karen, I AM SO HAPPY for your and your kitties....THIS IS THE BEST NEWS EVER.....

Now, tomorrow you can go trapping with a happy heart knowing that you can get those kitties fixed up.....

I also hope that some of the organizations in Louisana will help you with food...you are doing such a wonderful thing...please do let us know how everything is going for you and your colonies...

I have to say that you are a breathe of fresh air...never give up...you are what those kitties need....AND THANK YOU FOR WHAT YOU DO!!! I am just so happy

HAPPY TRAPPINGS!  Only wish we were nearer to lend a hand.  I hope there are some local folk that can and will help, the weather cooperates, and all kitties are found to be healthy.

Please keep us posted.  Waiting to hear you've outsmarted Bubba.

Thank you Judy! You are so sweet and you encourage me! I am hoping to catch only the ones that haven't been caught before. It will go so much easier & faster if I don't retrap & have to release those I've already TNR'd. I will definitely keep you all posted as to who I trap and how the other furbabies are doing!

Thank you CatPaws! I'm hoping all goes smoothly with kitties and weather cooperating as well! Yes that would be wonderful if you all were closer to me and could help but I guess I will have to go it alone as I've always done but only physically because now I feel you all with me in my heart! You have all been so wonderful and I can never thank you enough! I've only ever seen Fluffy Marie LeVeaux come out of her hiding spot to eat in the rain so that's why I'm hoping the weather cooperates! & yes we will all celebrate when I get big bad Bubba!!! 

I didn't see any cats at all yesterday where the black kitties live. I put their food in the usual place and called them. I went back to my car & waited & watched but no kitties. It was really hot and humid though so they may be laying low til late evening and into the night now. I saw only Sally & Tadpole at the other colony location. It is extremely rare for Fluffy Marie LeVeaux not to meet me at my car and I'm a little worried about her but she does have long hair and it is getting really hot around here already. I'm not able to go today until late and by then my vet wouldn't have time to spay/neuter so my plan is to go early tomorrow morning and early Saturday morning. That should work out better with beating the heat as well. Rain chances are slimmer Friday & Saturday also.  

Just fed Sally, Tadpole & Fluffy Marie LeVeaux. She's back but she has some sort of wound on her neck/chest. I will have to try to trap her now to get that treated.

Bubba is probably roaming trying to find girls in heat. I hope he's back in the morning so I can try to trap him also. If not maybe I will be able to get Tadpole. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Siamese @ other colony. I tried to sneak around to get a closer pic of him/her but he/she ran. I haven't seen Shelly in a couple of days and I haven't seen Sheba since I released her. I'm hoping they are ok & are just mad at me right now. 

I trapped Tadpole this morning. He is already at the vet waiting to be neutered. I've set the trap for Fluffy Marie LeVeaux so her wound can be assessed & treated but she's been leery of me and the trap this morning. She knows what it is and as much as she loves canned food she won't go near it. Maybe Bubba will come this morning too & I can get his bad self. 

I just hate when it when you find one of the ferals injured...

We have been caring for a feral for two years now. She/he WILL NOT let us touch him...he comes mainly in the winter as we have a heated cat house in the back yard for him and he knows he's safe there...BUT, just a few weeks ago he/she had a large wound in the neck area...either an abcess that had burst OR a cat fight...but I have amoxicillin that I put directly on the canned food and he/she got enough into he/she to heal the wound...we were SO worried so I know how you feel...

GOOD LUCK with treating her. I will keep checking on the trapping.....

Tadpole is neutered and back home. & HALLELUJAH! I scruffed Bubba while he was eating & he must have been really hungry because he didn't fight me at all! I know that all of your well wishes & prayers were answered!!! Thank you all so much! He was not happy but he is at the vet! 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg