Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Jamie K. - IMOM

Multiple Cats in 2 Feral Colonies Need to be Be Spayed/Neutered

138 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Judy said:

CatPaws's so good to see you here...I am with you...I too aplaud the caretaker for what she is doing...

By the way, what is your name?

Here is a link I found on Alley Cat Allies...they might give you some advice on getting more financial aid for the colony...

http://www.alleycat.org/page.aspx?pid=649

here is another link.....the more help the BETTER...

http://www.forgottencats.org/tnrassist.php

and do contact The Onyx and Breezy Foundation...they are in New York but help all.....

I admire what you are doing and so do the others...you are not alone in your thinking...I love ALL ANIMALS but I feel especially bad for the ferals...as they are that way DUE TO NO FAULT OF THEIR OWN.....and struggle again so many things...

THIS IS WHY we need to get these kitties fixed...and ALL OF THEM...please, please share.....

Judy thank you so much for the links! If I remember correctly I have asked for assistance from alley cat allies before but maybe I'm thinking of another organization! I will definitely check those links! 

Karen

I didn't think alley cat allies provided assistance for individuals as I've never received any financial assistance for my ferals from any organization or anyone. I have funded all of the previous spays/neuters, rabies vaccinations, deworming and flea treatments myself. So am very grateful to IMOM and the Angels & all the donors!!! 

My vet is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays & is closed today for Mother's Day so I won't be trapping again until Wednesday or Thursday weather permitting. I have 2 large traps and one small. I'm hoping to fill them all up with the cats I haven't trapped already. I wish I had more traps, a bigger vehicle & physical help but I don't so I have to do what I can with what I have when I can. It is very stressful trying to trap them all before they get pregnant and have kittens! I feel an urgency to get it done and it is a priority! Now that I know I have some financial assistance coming from IMOM I can breathe a little but I still have a lot of work (trapping & vet trips) to do this week! 

Karen

28 minutes ago, Brinson ferals said:

I didn't think alley cat allies provided assistance for individuals as I've never received any financial assistance for my ferals from any organization or anyone. I have funded all of the previous spays/neuters, rabies vaccinations, deworming and flea treatments myself. So am very grateful to IMOM and the Angels & all the donors!!! 

Pardon me while I climb up on my soapbox:  To the large organizations-  Help the INDIVIDUALS who are trying to do the right thing and let them grow into the TNR groups that you will help fund.  Remember, you started out as individuals too.  You never know what one little light can do.

On one hand, making sure the females are spayed is important, but don't downplay the importance of neutering all males. Males that are not neutered can get in some pretty vicious fights and the bites can lead to life threatening conditions.  People who dump cats into colonies don't understand this concept.

Stepping down from the soapbox:  I am offering a $100 Matching challenge, in memory of Ken Howard.

Edited by CatPaws

I'm wondering if any of the organisation's can help you out with even food for your colony. Ok f you can save on food that would help. Perhaps your local pet stores might donayectirn or returned bags of food for your colony. That's a thought...the kitties don't care what condition their food bag is in.

IMOM angels there is a matching challenge... ALL donations right now are doubled...how can we resist that!!

Oh yes of course I will neuter all of the males as well as spaying the females! I am aware of the damage they can do to each other and it's not pretty! I don't want that for any of them! I'm just feeling the pressure to get the girls done before they have any kittens because it's "kitten season" and I'm overwhelmed as it is with these unaltered cats being dumped and I don't need any kittens born there. The local humane society is overflowing already with a long list of people waiting to bring kittens there and the local animal shelter is "high kill" and I would never take them there. There is a humane society in a neighboring parish that will help me spay/neuter & adopt out any kittens that I catch and tame but they do not have a building to house them so they have to go to a pet store for adoption and they don't screen potential adopters. 

This is the kitten that I caught (by hand) last Tuesday. Sally & Fluffy Marie LeVeaux are the only females with that colony and both are spayed! This kitten is very sweet and tame so I believe she was dumped with that colony! It infuriates me to know that some people are cruel and /or so ignorant that they would dump any animal much less a totally helpless kitten and assume someone else will take care of it or that it will survive on its own! But it sadly happens all the time in this area! 

Karen

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Judy said:

I'm wondering if any of the organisation's can help you out with even food for your colony. Ok f you can save on food that would help. Perhaps your local pet stores might donayectirn or returned bags of food for your colony. That's a thought...the kitties don't care what condition their food bag is in.

IMOM angels there is a matching challenge... ALL donations right now are doubled...how can we resist that!!

Thank you for the suggestions! I have checked with some of the feed stores and most of them say they send any damaged bags or cans to the local shelter. I also asked a friend who is a butcher for a big box store what is done with the meat scraps (I know not ideal for kitties but I'm trying!) but their scraps are given to food banks or are purchased by a company that makes pet food. One of my colonies live near a gas station that serves hot dogs, biscuits etc & I've talked to them before about putting out the old/unsold food items for the cats and I see some evidence of them doing that occasionally when I feed. I buy dry and canned cat food  in bulk @ the local big box store to try to save some money but it is still costly.

I have applied for assistance with a local non profit spay/neuter program but they only have funds for companion animals not ferals. 

I've gotten commitments from employees at businesses near both colonies to feed the cats daily but employees come and go and I'm not sure how reliable any of them are. Also there was a lady that I was told did feed everyday but I think she got overwhelmed & only feeds on occasion now. 

I can only imagine folks getting overwhelmed and I thank you for not giving up. Bless you...

I feel so bad that people would dump unwanted cats at your colony..they must know you gave a huge heart...

Yay, a $100 Matching Challenge - thank you very much CatPaws!  All we need is $100 more in donations and then CatPaws can send in her match and we'll be at All Funds Raised! Karen has a heart of gold and is doing everything she can to be sure these poor kitties and kitten that were dumped off are taken care of. If you're unable to donate, please share on all your social media sites so we can get the word out to more people about these poor cats.  How anyone can dump off cats, and especially that poor kitten, is beyond me.

If you are able to help, please go to http://tinyurl.com/79og6jd to make a donation – note for the Brinson Ferals.  If you prefer, you may also make a direct donation via PayPal by specifying paypal@imom.org as the recipient. Don't forget to note for the Brinson Ferals when making your donation.

Thank you all so much!

match-challenge.jpg

Sally & Bubba eating together. Tadpole licking his lips after eating his dinner. Fluffy Marie LeVeaux licking her lips too. Sally is sweet and will let me pet her head for a minute but then she's done with it. Tadpole is still very skittish but will come eat next to his mom while I'm there. Fluffy comes running to my car every time I pull in to feed them & runs next to my feet meowing the whole way til I get her food out. She will swat at me if she thinks I'm not going fast enough but she doesn't let me touch her. Bubba is a big love bug    but also has his limits to how much petting and picking up and holding he will tolerate. image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I saw only Shelly at the other colony today. She is still very skittish since I trapped her and she wouldn't come eat until I got back in my car. I was making progress with her and Sheba so I guess I will have to start over building their trust again but of course it is worth it to know they are spayed now. Shelly did give me kitty kisses (purposeful eye blinks) several times while I was watching her so maybe I didn't totally destroy the trust she has in me. 

I am guessing that you might be in louisanna by the mention of parishes and also the names of your kitties, am I right? By the way, thank you for sharing your name Karen.

1 hour ago, Judy said:

I can only imagine folks getting overwhelmed and I thank you for not giving up. Bless you...

I feel so bad that people would dump unwanted cats at your colony..they must know you gave a huge heart...

Yes I understand people getting overwhelmed and burned out. I feel it too sometimes but I have to believe that the blessings will come because I'm taking care of God's creatures. 

Edited by Brinson ferals
Mis spelled word

Lol yes I'm in Louisiana! Parishes and countryfied cat names and all. I try to let my education & proper grammar cover that but I guess it shows through sometimes. Smile 

I wonder sometimes if people do dump their cats there because they know I feed them & do TNR but I'm careful who I talk to about them. I am their advocate & very protective of them but I also try very hard not to bring attention to them so that they are safe from those who might try to harm them!

I have checked in off and on all day HOPING to see that the matching challenge has been met...

IMOM angels...Karen is THE BEST...not only does she care for an existing colony, she is caring for cats that have been dumped intentionally at the site...AND, she is educating the people around the colony on the benefits of TNR...

She is doing this all on her own...WHY...because she cares...

Can't we share these kitties story? Don't we have friends on social media that can do the same? I find this amazing...please, please, please, let's get busy...even if you don't have any money to spare, don't feel bad...you can help in the best way ever...SHARE

Such darling kitties, and Karen is doing such an amazing job of caring for them all, let's help her get these sweethearts all fixed up!

Karen, here are a couple more links that maybe can help you:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Northeast-Louisiana-Pet-Food-Bank/1576112555992448

http://loveyourpetexpo.com/pages/petfoodhelp.html

http://thepetfoodbank.com/

Hoping to see these kitties at AFR soon!

Vicky M.

Thank you so so much CatPaws for the matching challenge!!! Thank you Judy! You are my cheerleader and I appreciate you!!! Thank you for the sweet words and the links Vicky M! I will check those out! 

IMOM angels..as soon as the matching challenge is met these kitties will be ready for spay/neuter...

Can't we make this happen.....

By the way Karen, I LUV LUV LUV the name Fluffy Marie LeVeaux.....how classy is that!!!

Okay, all we need is $100 - donations have stalled; can we get some more funds coming in please?  This is a LOT for one person to take on, and Karen really needs some help.

If you are able to help, please go to http://tinyurl.com/79og6jd to make a donation – note for the Brinson Ferals.  If you prefer, you may also make a direct donation via PayPal by specifying paypal@imom.org as the recipient. Don't forget to note for the Brinson Ferals when making your donation.

Thank you all so much!

pizap.com14628219206441.jpg

2 hours ago, Judy said:

By the way Karen, I LUV LUV LUV the name Fluffy Marie LeVeaux.....how classy is that!!!

Thank you Judy! Fluffy Marie LeVeaux is a special kitty so she had to have a special name! She is beautiful with an attitude! I believe she was dumped last year after I had that colony stabilized as well and she had 6 kittens before I could trap her. I was able to trap, tame & rehome 5 of them. Tadpole was the last kitten and I wasnt able to trap him in time to tame him. 

Photos:

Marie LeVeaux when I trapped her I got 2 in one! Marie LeVeaux and her mini me ("Bunny Luv")! 

The black and white kitten "Frehley" as in Ace Frehley.

Fluffy with 3 of her kittens: Tadpole, Bunny, & Possum Blossum. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg