Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Jamie K. - IMOM

Multiple Cats in 2 Feral Colonies Need to be Be Spayed/Neutered

138 posts in this topic

Spay and Neuter for several cats/kittens in 2 feral colonies
Amount needed: $650
Caretaker's Contribution:  $150
Amount needed from IMOM:  $500
5% of $500 for IMOM operating expenses: $25
Our fundraising goal: $525
Caseworker: Jamie

***The Brinson Ferals are at All Funds Raised - Donations No Longer Needed!  IMOM is adding a $150 pledge making the total for the kitties $650!***

To donate and support Spaying and Neutering - please go to: http://imom.org/donations/

IMOM received a request to help with the spaying/neutering of multiple cats in 2 feral colonies. Their caretaker has done TNR with these colonies for the past 2 years and had both colonies stabilized, but she says it appears that someone is dumping new unaltered cats there. She said there are 15 new cats that she's aware of and possibly some kittens.  IMOM would like to help with 10 of them (3 females and 7 males).

Their caretaker has this to say:  "There are not enough homes for all pets as is. It prevents cancer in females. It prevents fighting and spraying in males. It helps keep pets home instead of roaming. It helps keep them calmer as they are not stressed about mating."

If you are able to help, please go to http://tinyurl.com/79og6jd to make a donation; note for the Brinson Ferals. If you prefer, you may also make a direct donation via PayPal by specifying paypal@imom.org as the recipient. Don't forget to indicate that your gift is for Brinson Ferals.

Thank you all so much.

image.thumb.jpeg.ccaf49126fb4d2236d32f93ec60c35b5.jpeg

Edited by Jamie K. - IMOM

Welcome to IMOM...and bless you for caring for these feral kitties...I think their lives are the most sad...it's not their fault that people let them down...

these kitties have a caregiver who is concerned enough to monitor them...feed them, get them spay/neutered and loves them...they can't ask for more than that.

The best thing that you can do right now is post, post and post some more. I know that these kitties all have personalities...can you tell us about some of them? We'd all like to get to know them a little better...

I'll be looking forward to hearing all about them.

Here are some photos of the Brinson ferals. The black cats are new to the colony (I believe someone dumped them as I had that colony stabilized & suddenly 5 nearly grown cats showed up!) so they have not been named yet. The small grey tabby is Tadpole & is about a year old. He lives in a small colony with his spayed mom Marie LeVeaux aka Fluffy (the fuzzy multi colored cat) & a spayed black female named Mustang Sally. Also his dad Bubba (the large grey tabby) who comes and goes. Tabby & Bubba are in need of neutering. Tabby was the last of Marie LeVeaux's 6 kittens that I trapped last year, tamed & rehomed. I was unable to catch Tadpole in time to tame him so I will TNR him. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I trapped one black cat Wednesday and one black cat Thursday. I almost caught Bubba but he is trap savvy & was having nothing to do with it! He would walk around me just out of reach & roll around & meow & purr! He is a stinker! He lets me pet him but not when traps are out! Released the newly spayed black cat yesterday back to her colony. Will pick up from vet and release 2nd black cat today. 

This is a beautiful Siamese that I see occasionally. He/she only comes to eat after I've walked away & gotten back into my car. & more black kitties. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

FUND UPDATE:  The Brinson Ferals have $25 in donations and need $500 more!

Yay, thank you so much Judy!  We're off to a great start for these kitties!  What beautiful cats!  I hate to think where they'd be without this wonderful person taking care of them.  Can we give her some help?  If you're unable to donate, please share on all your social media sites so we can get the word out to more people about these kitties.

If you are able to help, please go to http://tinyurl.com/79og6jd to make a donation – note for the Brinson Ferals.  If you prefer, you may also make a direct donation via PayPal by specifying paypal@imom.org as the recipient. Don't forget to note for the Brinson Ferals when making your donation.

Thank you all so much! 

I counted 2 other black cats (sway back & Black Jack), one grey tabby, one orange tabby, one white with orange that I only see occasionally plus the 5 black cats (4 fuzzies & one short hair) that showed up together along with the Siamese, Bubba & Tadpole & the dilute calico kitten that I caught the other day & possibly one other kitten that make the 15 that need to be spayed/neutered. There may be more but those I've seen & I know the difference between the grey tabbies and surprisingly even the differences with the black cats when they don't all come feed at once.

I have done TNR with Black Bob, Callie, Fuzzy Sabrina, Sweetie, Sally, & Fluffy Marie LeVeaux. I was preparing to TNR several more 2 years ago when a volunteer from the local kill shelter started trapping & euthanizing them. When I found out I asked her to stop & I then talked to the managers of the businesses' where the colonies live to educate them on what was happening to them (they thought they were being trapped & taken to the shelter to find homes). I asked that they allow me to do TNR & explained that they would not have the issues that caused them to call the shelter for them to be removed. I also tried to educate the volunteers as well as the shelter manager and staff about TNR & that trapping & killing them does not solve the problem. I believe these cats have the right to live regardless of how they came to be there (lost pet, unwanted & dumped, or born feral). They just need to be altered so that they live as healthy as possible & do not exhibit the mating habits of yowling, spraying & fighting that tend to get them in trouble. & no unwanted kittens to add to the pet overpopulation problem. 

I just returned the 2nd spayed black cat to her colony. I decided on Sheba for her name. I named her sister Shelly that I returned yesterday. I saw Shelly & the Siamese but wasn't quick enough to get my phone for pics. Sheba ran as soon as I opened the trap but I'm sure she will come eat later & I will see her tomorrow. 

I love the pictures and the work that you are doing for these furbabies.  You are doing such wonderful work.  The angels should be doing wonderful work, too.  How about a matching challenge?  I am putting $50 on the table.  Who will take my money?  Betsy

I agree with Betsy. You are the best! What a lucky colony..not only do you care for them but you are teaching others the right thing to do. BRAVO!! Let's share share share, there is a matching challenge...every donation is doubled..its a win win situation! Keep up the great job of posting!!

Thank you so much for your kind words Judy & Betsy! Betsy I hope some one takes your challenge & I love your furbabies' pic! 

FUND UPDATE:  The Brinson Ferals have $75 in donations and need $450 more!
Betsy's $50 Matching Challenge has been met!

Yay, thank you so much Angels!  And Betsy you can send in your match, thank you!!  We're making progress!  These kitties' caregiver is working really hard to make sure these kitties have what they need; can you please help?  I wish there were more people like her.  If you're unable to donate, please share on all your social media sites so we can get the word out to more people about these kitties.

If you are able to help, please go to http://tinyurl.com/79og6jd to make a donation – note for the Brinson Ferals.  If you prefer, you may also make a direct donation via PayPal by specifying paypal@imom.org as the recipient. Don't forget to note for the Brinson Ferals when making your donation.

Thank you all so much! 

Okay folks, the kitties' caregiver is doing a great job posting, and she's been taking care of these 2 colonies for 2 years on her own, and now someone has dumped off more unaltered kitties.  Can we please give her some help?  How many people do you know who would do this?  And this is just for 10 cats.  There may be more that she will need to get taken care of on her own.

Please consider donating, even if it's only $1 or $5.  It all adds up.  Thank you!

Jamie

FUND UPDATE:  The Brinson Ferals have $175 in donations and need $350 more!

Yay, thank you so much!  Now, we're a third of the way there!  That's much better, thank you very much!  Please, all we need now is $350.  Can you please help?  How about another Matching Challenge?  If you're unable to donate, please share on all your social media sites so we can get the word out to more people about these kitties.

Thank you all so much!

Thank you all so much! I truly appreciate every dollar! I haven't always been a "cat person" but spay/neuter is my soap box so when I was trying to find the best solution for these ferals; I did a ton of research and found that TNR (trap, neuter, return) was the best thing to do for the adults & that was right up my alley! I have come to love these cats and am very protective of them! I am their advocate! I drive 30 minutes one way to feed and check on them. Some people ask "why don't you just take them home?" Well, I did try that with 2 of the adults and that proved what I had found in my research, that most feral adults can't be tamed. They are wild and don't want us other than food and shelter. The 2 I brought home 2 years ago have settled in and they have a cat yard that they are able to access from my sunroom any time they want to go outside but they will probably never be lap cats. They are happy and safe but I don't bring adults home any more. However, I have and will continue to foster and tame any young kittens that "show up" and rehome them. Also, in my opinion, euthanasia is not an option for healthy pets even when faced with overpopulation! 

I want to say BRAVO TO YOU for your thinking on TNR for your cat colony...I know that there are people that want only to make the cats disappear and you are doing what IS RIGHT.....TNR has been proven to work and work well..you can be mighty proud of your efforts.

IMOM angels....can we help? You don't have to donate to get these kitties spay/neutered. Can you SHARE on your social media...can you ask your animal loving friends to do the same and ask their friends to continuing sharing...

This is a cat colony that has a WONDERFUL CAREGIVER...she loves them and does what she has to make it work...AND SHE TEACHES OTHERS and educates them on how they can do the same and to understand...

THIS IS WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE...

I wish I could say I had a new Fund Update, but I don't.  We still need $350.  Can you please help?  I know it's the weekend, and Mother's Day weekend, but hopefully we can get some more donations coming in for these kitties.  If you're unable to donate, please share on all your social media sites so we can get the word out to more people about these kitties.

Thank you all so much!

Thank you so much Judy for your encouraging words! Most of the time I feel alone in my thinking on TNR and my care of feral cats! But I believe that I'm right and take comfort in knowing that it is a proven concept and every time I return one from being spayed or neutered and then see them again I get the satisfaction of knowing they are safe and will live as healthy a life as possible! 

Where (which state) are your colonies?   Do you have an estimate on the number of kittens that are currently with the colonies from the  cats that were dumped and aren't neutered?   I applaud the work you are doing.  I only wish you were getting assistance for all 15 and the kittens, because it's the only way to stay ahead of the curve.

I urge you to check with The Onyx and Breezy Foundation to see if they can help also help get these colonies back to fully spayed and neutered.

BTW, you are not alone in your thinkings.  I have added some money to the funds to help you in your efforts.

Edited by CatPaws

CatPaws's so good to see you here...I am with you...I too aplaud the caretaker for what she is doing...

By the way, what is your name?

Here is a link I found on Alley Cat Allies...they might give you some advice on getting more financial aid for the colony...

http://www.alleycat.org/page.aspx?pid=649

here is another link.....the more help the BETTER...

http://www.forgottencats.org/tnrassist.php

and do contact The Onyx and Breezy Foundation...they are in New York but help all.....

I admire what you are doing and so do the others...you are not alone in your thinking...I love ALL ANIMALS but I feel especially bad for the ferals...as they are that way DUE TO NO FAULT OF THEIR OWN.....and struggle again so many things...

THIS IS WHY we need to get these kitties fixed...and ALL OF THEM...please, please share.....

FUND UPDATE:  The Brinson Ferals have $325 in donations and need $200 more!

Thank you so much Angels - we're really making progress now!  We don't have much more to go to get these kitties "fixed up".  Maybe someone can issue another Matching Challenge?  Funds come in so quickly that way.  If you're unable to donate, please share on all your social media sites so we can get the word out to more people about these kitties.

Thank you all so much!

2 hours ago, CatPaws said:

Where (which state) are your colonies?   Do you have an estimate on the number of kittens that are currently with the colonies from the  cats that were dumped and aren't neutered?   I applaud the work you are doing.  I only wish you were getting assistance for all 15 and the kittens, because it's the only way to stay ahead of the curve.

I urge you to check with The Onyx and Breezy Foundation to see if they can help also help get these colonies back to fully spayed and neutered.

BTW, you are not alone in your thinkings.  I have added some money to the funds to help you in your efforts.

We live in Louisiana. I have seen and caught one kitten this week. An employee @ one of the businesses thought she heard 2 there but I haven't seen any others there. I thought that I heard another kitten @ the other colony but I haven't seen any there. I trapped 2 of the adult females this week and they are spayed now but I'm not sure if any of the other adults are females and if so I don't know if they have had kittens or are pregnant. I'm hoping the rest are males and there are no other kittens or "drop offs". I will check out the Onyx and Breezy Foundation!!! Thank you so much for the donation!!!

1 hour ago, Jamie K. - IMOM said:

FUND UPDATE:  The Brinson Ferals have $325 in donations and need $200 more!

Thank you so much Angels - we're really making progress now!  We don't have much more to go to get these kitties "fixed up".  Maybe someone can issue another Matching Challenge?  Funds come in so quickly that way.  If you're unable to donate, please share on all your social media sites so we can get the word out to more people about these kitties.

Thank you all so much!

Awesome!!!! Thank you all so very much!!!