Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Dawn IMOM

Smokey Galvan - Kitty with urinary blockage

185 posts in this topic

Diagnosis: Feline urological syndrome, Urinary blockage

Treatment: Perineal urethrostomy surgery

Low end of estimate: $900

5% for IMOM operating expenses: $45

Fundraising goal: $945

Neutered: Yes

Caseworker: Dawn

post-9479-0-15325200-1406109700_thumb.jp

Smokey is at All Funds Raised - Donations No Longer Needed!

Smokey is an 11 year old kitty with urinary blockage. IMOM originally pledged $150 so the vet could attempt to flush the blockage. Unfortunately, the crystals could not all be flushed out and the blockage could happen again at any time. Smokey now needs PU surgery.

Here is what Smokey’s mom had to say about him.

“Smokey is 11 years old and I have had him since 2003 when he was found as a baby kitten in a relatives backyard my son was only 3 years old at the time and Smokey became his pal sleeping with him in his bed every night as they both grew up. Smokey is not just a cat he is part of my family and we love him very much. This past year has not been good to me and I don't want my hardship to cause Smokey to not live out his full life.”

Smokey’s mom has also been posting in introductions here: http://www.imom.org/...showtopic=10312

If you are able to help, please go to http://tinyurl.com/79og6jd to make a donation; note for Smokey Galvan

If you prefer, you may also make a direct donation via PayPal by specifying paypal@imom.org as the recipient. Don't forget to note for Smokey when making your donation.

Thank you!

Edited by Jamie K. - IMOM

Right now we need to get busy and SHARE, SHARE, SHARE.....TWEET, TWEET, TWEET and whatever we can do to spread the word...please ask your friends to do the same...

oops on the twit...you can tell how much I know about that... :blush:

Edited by Judy

Right now we need to get busy and SHARE, SHARE, SHARE.....TWIT, TWIT, TWIT and whatever we can do to spread the word...please ask your friends to do the same...

and tweet, tweet, tweet like the :huh::bird: do.

Let's get things started with a matching challenge for this sweet boy. $100 on the table. Who will take my money? Betsy

Yawwwwwwwwwwwnnnn

Okay, the Alaskan's have awoken, I'm going to take some of Betsy's challenge, who's with me?

Hello Smokey's mom here!! Smokey is really excited that he will be able to have his surgery but he needs donations to get it done ... Please Give Give Give!! :)

Double Yay!! Lisa is taking some of Bety's challenge lets get the challenge filled

tell us about your boy...the angels are anxiously waiting to hear all about him...

Well Smokey is 11 years old and he is quite a character when he wants something or when he knows it is time for me or my son to get up he will come up and give us a head bunt. He has been at the vets since Friday the 18th so we have been missing him and those head bunts dearly. at first I didn't understand what all the terminology the vet used meant but I am a more familiar with everything now. I had originally thought that 'flushing Smokey meant he was having surgery to remove the crystals causing the blockage but 'flushing' only meant clearing his bladder with a catheter to avoid renal failure since he was given a 24 hour time frame of clearing or not making it. He is being kept stable at Sunnymead Veterinary Clinic by Dr. Park, he and his whole staff are awesome over there.

After Betsy's challenge is met, I'll put up a $100 matching challenge in memory of my boy Jaime. C'mon everyone, stir the pot and dig for those pennies!

--Jaz

This is Smokey on Monday the 21st the day I found out that he needed surgery and that 'flushing' wasn't the surgery

post-31509-0-55322000-1406129114_thumb.j

post-31509-0-73028100-1406129140_thumb.j

Wow!! everyone is awesome!! Jaz has another $100 matching challenge so let's get Bety's filled we are so close... Smokey really needs this surgery

Smokey is being kept stable at Sunnymead Veterinary Clinic in Moreno Valley, CA. it is 8:36am now here and they open at 9am so I will be calling to get an update. They have a hard time getting him to eat but as soon as I show up he chows away and eats everything in his bowl he is on Hill's Prescription Diet c/d Multicare Feline Urinary Tract Health

Edited by VGalvan

FUND UPDATE: Smokey has $300 in donations and needs $645 more!

The first Matching Challenge has been met.

There is now a Matching Challenge for $100!

Thanks to the angels, we are on the way to getting Smokey his surgery. Please consider a donation of any size at all and SHARE all about Smokey. I'd love to fax a letter of guarantee to the vet soon so they can take care of Smokey.

If you are able to help, please go to http://tinyurl.com/79og6jd to make a donation; note for Smokey Galvan

If you prefer, you may also make a direct donation via PayPal by specifying paypal@imom.org as the recipient. Don't forget to note for Smokey when making your donation.

Thank you!

Smokey likes following us around so on Thursday the 17th during the day he was fine normal routine but by 6pm when I picked him up he was hissing and meowing loud I thought nothing of it and just told Smokey to quit being silly he would get in his litter box but it never dawned on me that there was nothing to clean up after he had been in there a few times. Well the next morning he wanted to go outside so I let him out and that is when my sister said something was wrong with him because that is not normal behavior (the hissing and loud meowing) and I agreed with her then we paid closer attention and when he would sit he would keep one of his legs up he looked like he was in pain (my sister even said maybe I had rolled over on him during the night while I was sleeping but I told her that he was making that hissing the night before) so then we were watching him and he started digging outside several times each time squatting for long periods but nothing happened (we almost felt like we were violating him by watching him go potty). I told my sister there is nothing I could do since my financial situation is really bad (I have been out of work for over a year and moved into my mother's home with my son and my own home is in default). My sister knew of Sunnymead Veterinary Clinic she gives their info to lots of people because they do very low cost spay and neuter services (so they have no excuses not to spay and neuter but many still don't *sigh*) and she said she could go online and print a coupon for a free consultation and she had $30 she could spare (she is in graduate school and doesn't work so she lives at my mother's house also) toward medication if it was like a UTI or something. so we took him in right away. My sister ended up paying $50 toward his initial treatment and we were able to get funding for the sedation and catheter from Rose's Fund and then additional funding from IMOM for 2 more days of treatment IV fluids, antibiotics, and catheter for Smokey. he would have died from renal failure after 24 hours. so then fast forward to Monday the 21st when I thought I was either bringing him home or that he need a couple more days for observation cause he wasn't eating (thinking the treatment he had gotten was the surgery that removed the stones) I was told that the blockage can happen again because he has stones and that he needs surgery to remove them otherwise I will be back in there going through this same situation again. They did an itemized estimate and faxed it over to IMOM and Dr. Park said he would keep Smokey stable until I figure out what I was going to do (dr. Park is the best) I told him I at least needed to wait and see if IMOM would help with fundraising (he said he wouldn't charge for the days he keeps Smokey stable while everything is figured out) So now I am very hopeful that Smokey will get the surgery he needs. This whole situation is so stressful.

Edited by VGalvan

This is a win win situation angels...a wonderful vet who is monitoring Smokey and a matching challenge, OH, most important, a Momma who loves and cares for him a lot...

THIS IS PURRFECT, now we just have to get Smokey his surgery and back home where he belongs...

Edited by Judy

Yay!!! $300 only $645 more is needed... Keep those challenges coming we can do this!! :)

you all are so wonderful.. Smokey will be forever grateful to you all for allowing/helping him to live a long life that he desrves

My challenge $$ just sent in. I hope that means we are down to only $545 needed? Let's get Smokey back home to his family... Betsy

Yes!! Let's get Smokey his surgery and back home cause he doesn't like being in a cage even though he is being well taken care of he rather be back home giving us head bunts.

Smokey would love for you to fax over a letter of guarantee to the vet soon too Dawn .... come on Angels let's get that letter sent over so my boy can get his surgery and come home.

I spoke to Dawn at Dr. Park's office he is not in today (he had a car accident on Monday) The on-call Dr. will be calling me back to give me an update on Smokey so I can post the information on here. I also let her know that fundraising has started and we are getting closer to getting Smokey his surgery.

(the vet's office is 30 minutes from me in one direction a gas expense I cannot afford I am not able to go there daily I can only call for updates)