Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Cindy/IMOM

Rowan and Mistletoe - two baby kittens with eye injuries

20 posts in this topic

Yesterday, IMOM was contacted by Milo's Sanctuary, Inc. Milo’s is a registered non-profit 501©(3) that rescues special needs cats and kittens. They recently took in two 6 week old kittens who were found by a kind woman in the middle of a busy street with people honking at them. She stopped and rescued them and rushed them to a vet. They each have one ruptured eye and need to have them removed because of the pain and infection. They are skinny and malnourished the vet decided to give them a few day to be a little stronger before doing the enucleations. The surgery estimate was $1440 for both kitties, and Milo’s needed financial help to pay for their care. post-139-0-09409400-1403969346_thumb.jpe post-139-0-88154200-1403969360_thumb.jpg

IMOM was happy to pledge $500 from our Visually Impaired Pets fund so that these two sweeties can have surgery on Monday. They are very sweet and want nothing more than to be happy, healthy kittens. With IMOM’s help, Milo’s will be able to give them that chance!

Without the support of our donors, IMOM would not be able to make pledges to save kitties like these. If you would like to make a donation to our fund for Visually Impaired Pets, please visit http://www.imom.org/donation/index.htm. Or you can buy one of our wonderful “Blind Dogs See With Their Hearts” teeshirts or sweatshirts if you scroll down to the bottom of that page. I personally have these shirts sitting in my office and will personally ship them to you via priority mail. They make great gifts too!

Thanks, angels!

Cindy W - IMOM

Hi everyone!

This is Michele from Milo's Sanctuary - I'm the President and Founder. It's wonderful to meet all of you and we feel so blessed to be part of your community and family.

We went to visit the babies tonight at the vets office where they have been for a week. When they were brought in by the wonderful lady who rescued them from the middle of a busy street they each had a ruptured eye, were anemic, emaciated and weak. The vets felt it was best to give them a little time to get their strength so they have been on antibiotics and pain medications.

Tonight was the first time I got to meet them and they are so much smaller than I thought. They easily fit into my hands. They are very sweet, gentle and a little scared but in a few minutes they were playing and purring. We did take some more photos but they are pretty graphic and I think some would find them upsetting because of the severity of the eye injuries. But please know they are being so well looked after and loved at our wonderful vet!!

Thanks to your help they will have their surgery on Monday morning. I will report back at that time and let you know how they are doing. We appreciate everything you all have done to make saving these two innocent angels possible. We are on Facebook and would love for you to come visit us anytime and meet a few more of the special needs cats we are so lucky to be able to rescue.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Milos-Sanctuary-Inc/207107778065?focus_composer=true&ref_type=bookmark

Brightest Blessings,

Michele, Mistletoe & Rowan

Update on the kittens - just spoke with the vets office and apparently they have now decided that these guys are too small to have surgery. They are less than 2 pounds. Why no one informed us from the vets office we have no idea as we were told this morning they would be having surgery. So, we will let you know as soon as their surgery is rescheduled and what treatment they are prescribing for them until they can have their surgery.

We understand the vets caution and we appreciate their erring on that side, however we should have been informed this morning. We are currently awaiting a call from the veterinarian to explain everything to us.

Thank you for all your support!

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to give you the latest. These two little ones are home with me (Michele, I'm the President of Milo's) the lady who was going to take them to foster and the vets felt they would be better with me as I'm a former vet tech and they are requiring lots of medical attention.

They are on pain meds, antibiotics, eye ointments (4x a day) and lots of good food and TLC of course. Rowan and Mistletoe are ensconced in my large guest bathroom with toys, a big soft bed, all the food they can eat and of course water and a nice clean litter box.

We are waiting until they get to 3 lbs to do the surgery as they are so small (they weigh about 1 pound currently) the vets just were not comfortable doing surgery (and we agree with them).

All of us at Milo's so appreciate your kindness and generosity and I will be posting photos and updates on these two precious babies and again thank you!!

Michele

post-31220-0-99600500-1404367220_thumb.j

Edited by miloscats

I am so happy to hear they are doing well, and getting fattened up for surgery. Thank you for taking in these 2 lost souls and giving them a chance. :)

Judy G.

Hi everyone,

We hope you had a safe and happy Fourth of July!! This is Michele and I am sorry for not posting before now, I have been sick with the stomach fluey thing so haven't done much but sleep and make sure the babies get their medications and lots of cuddling.

The babies are doing well and eating great!! Tomorrow they get their first shots and weighed, we are hoping they've gained some weight.

We put a little video of them playing up on Milo's Facebook page. Here's the link if you scroll down when you get the page you can see it.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Milos-Sanctuary-Inc/207107778065?ref=hl&ref_type=bookmark

Thank you again everyone!!

Good evening everyone!

Just wanted to let you know that the babies are back at the vet for the night. The little girls eye (Mistletoe) started to look worse over the weekend so I took them in this morning.

One of the wonderful vets and surgeons (who has years of experience with surgery and is one of the best has saved many cats for us) is going to be looking at them tonight and we will see what he says.

I took Rowan with his sister today as they are so tightly bonded that she would be frantic without him so he happily went along as you can see in this photo.

These two angels even in discomfort (they are on pain meds) but still it must be uncomfortable never stop purring and even roll over for tummy rubs as you can see by the photo.

I will update everyone when I talk to the vet. Thank you for your continued prayers and support!

Blessings,

Michele, Mistletoe & Rowan

post-31220-0-94426900-1404798283_thumb.j

Edited by miloscats

Good evening everyone! It's been a long day here at Milo's (this is Michele and on top of running the rescue I also work a full time job) but before I go crash for the night I wanted to let you know that the kittens are home and so happy to be back in their big bathroom!!

The second I opened the carrier they came running out and dashed about the bathroom with their little stick tails all puffy. Then they had their medications, a big dinner and were settling down in their soft comfy bed to have a bath and sleep.

The vets agreed we should be able to do surgery in a couple of weeks. They've already gained 1/2 pound in 8 days so they are little eating machines!!

I will post photos tomorrow if I can get some that aren't little orange and brown tabby blurs!!

So glad to hear they are home and doing well. Paws crossed they keep eating like little piggies.

Cindy W - IMOM

Happy Friday everyone!! The babies are growing and eating and playing. The pain meds make them sleepy but when they are awake they are awake.

We are doing eye drops now every 4 hours and praying by the end of next week the begging of the following week they will weigh enough to undergo surgery.

I haven't been able to get any photos of them as they don't hold still long enough and all I manage to get is an orange and brown blur!! But this weekend I will get them while they are sleeping!!

Happy weekend everyone!! Well the babies have gained more weight and if they keep going this way they should be able to have their surgery by the end of the month!

They have so much love and light in them it's amazing to be with them. Quite the lesson in take what you are given and be happy to just be alive. They are happy, goofy, silly babies who play and play and play some more. They are so good about taking their medications and having their eyes cleaned (I cannot imagine that's comfortable) but the second you pick them up they purr and are happy to have love.

I went today and got them a new scratcher for kittens. It's so cute and tiny, perfect for them! They immediately started playing around it and having a great time.

I'm so blessed to be able to foster these two angels and whoever is lucky enough to adopt them once they are healed they are going to have two absolutely amazing friends!!

Thank you all for your prayers and kindness and for following and being a part of their journey with me.

post-31220-0-92813700-1405234858_thumb.j

Edited by miloscats

Greetings everyone and Happy Hump Day!! Well just weighed the kittens and they are 1lbs and 3/4 so almost 2lbs!! YAY!! We are getting there!!

Anyway, not a lot more to report but I just HAD to share these photos with you. Look at these two. They are the happiest, most adorable kittens I've fostered in a long time. They are SO full of energy and life, it's incredible. The pain meds don't even make them sleepy!

Tell me these aren't the cutest faces around!

post-31220-0-00741900-1405571802_thumb.j

post-31220-0-44190500-1405571803_thumb.j

Edited by miloscats

Good morning everyone,

Well the big day has arrived!! The kittens have reached enough weight where they can have their eye removal surgery. Which is a good thing and not a moment too soon as Mistletoe (the little girl) eye got worse this weekend and more swollen and started to bleed. I rushed her to the vet this am and she has developed an abscess behind the eye :(

So, she will be having the eye removal surgery today and Rowan will be going in tonight. Please keep this angels in your prayers and I will update as soon as they are out surgery.

Thanks to everyone at imom for all your support and generosity!

Blessings,

Michele

post-31220-0-45709400-1405961981_thumb.j

post-31220-0-16207100-1405961963_thumb.j

Edited by miloscats

Keeping these little ones in my thoughts and prayers.

The kittens came home last night and were so glad to be here and I was so glad to have them home. I missed their furry crazy antics. I took the cones off them for a while so they could eat and go potty without the "cone of shame" and they played a little, then it was meds for pain and antibiotics, back on with the cones and they fell sound to sleep all curled up together in their little bed.

Today things were back to normal. Rowan is a kitten lunatic, cone or not he's all over the place, nothing stops him. Mistletoe is a little quieter probably because she was also spayed and her eye was more complicated to remove but she purred and played as well.

Tonight they are doing just fine, we had a good session of kill the humans hands, then kill the toy mouse, then who can eat faster, who can toss more litter onto the floor and finally who can fuss more at getting their medications.

Thank you everyone from the bottom of my and everyone at Milo's hearts. We are so fortunate to have found you and for your kindness and generosity.

Brightest blessings to each and everyone of you!

Michele, Rowan & Mistletoe

post-31220-0-04194400-1406177453_thumb.j

post-31220-0-95661900-1406177461_thumb.j

Edited by miloscats

Update on Rowan and Mistletoe, they are doing quite well and will have their stitches out on Friday and be out of the cones of shame!!

They are active, healthy, happy little kittens who will soon be looking for their new homes, together. We promised them that they would always be together and we mean it!!

We at Milo's want to thank all of you in the IMOM community for your support, generosity and prayers for these two perfect souls. We are so happy and honored to be a part of your community and Rowan and Mistletoe are alive, healthy and happy thanks to all of your help!!

Blessings,

Michele, Rowan & Mistletoe

post-31220-0-57339900-1406653025_thumb.j

Edited by miloscats

I bet they can't wait to get those cones removed. They are both so cute and I am so very glad that you will adopt them out together. After everything they have been through it is only right that they are able to count on each other being there. Betsy

Such sweet babies! I'm so happy they were finally well enough for surgery.